Torre Turns Deal Down

Maxman

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They offered him a 1 year deal for 5 million.

1 mil bonus for division series.

1 mil bonus for champiobship series.

1 mil bonus for making the World Series.

They make the WS he gets an 8 million dollar deal vested for the 2nd year.

He turned it down. They praised him and said it is time to move forward. No announcement on his replacement.

WOW.

They offered him a 1 year deal for 5 million.

1 mil bonus for division series.

1 mil bonus for champiobship series.

1 mil bonus for making the World Series.

They make the WS he gets an 8 million dollar deal vested for the 2nd year.

He turned it down. They praised him and said it is time to move forward. No announcement on his replacement.

WOW.

Kudos to Joe Torre.

This was not an offer from the Yankees, it was an insult. You don't extend managers that you truly want to keep for one year. And you don't offer to incent.

This was teh Yankees expecting Joe to say NO. It was an offer he could refuse, and the Yanks knew it.

I think they expected him to take it. 5 million is 1.5 more than the next highest manager (Lou).

You never know with George. This may not be over yet.

Kay just went through the list of George moves -- firing people and then asking them back. Have to see how this plays out.

But SD you may be right -- this helps them because they didn't "fire" Joe. Interesting.

Kay is talking about Joe's options. Possibly St Louis. He said can you imagine if Francona was fired?

Ugh -- Joe can't manage in Boston. Just can't happen. He won 4 times here. He goes out when he says he goes out.

Fix this.

I think they expected him to take it. 5 million is 1.5 more than the next highest manager (Lou).

Kay just went through the list of George moves -- firing people and then asking them back. Have to see how this plays out.

But SD you may be right -- this helps them because they didn't "fire" Joe. Interesting.

Obviously, I don't know anything that was discussed.

But, when you have a manager who has won 12 straight years for you, and then you give him the ultimatum that he must win a series, and they do not win that series, and you let him twist for over a week, and then offer him less money and only one year. Well, that is a transparent move.

A man has pride. And pride will not allow a reputation that Joe Torre has, to have that sullied. That is negotiations 101.

another slow start next season and big stein can bring torre back mid-year a la billy martin.

I don't think this is surprising at all.

The Yankees do not want to look like the bad guys here or deal with the bad publicity if they had just told Joe that they were not interested in giving him a new contract.

You either commit to the guy or you don't.

It could still blow up in their faces if they then go and offer a Girardi or Mattingly a multi-year deal to manage them.

Well if it is really the end of the Torre era, let me be one of the firsts to thank him for 12 great years. He did a heck of a job.

I don't think this is surprising at all.

The Yankees do not want to look like the bad guys here or deal with the bad publicity if they had just told Joe that they were not interested in giving him a new contract.

You either commit to the guy or you don't.

It could still blow up in their faces if they then go and offer a Girardi or Mattingly a multi-year deal to manage them.

Well if it is really the end of the Torre era, let me be one of the firsts to thank him for 12 great years. He did a heck of a job.

ANY manager coming in will demand a multi-year contract.

Now for Girardi or Mattingly, it will be at the 3-4 million per year level.

This was calculated. Do not expect the Yankees to be surprised here.

This also allows the Yankees to say to the FA players, we attempted to sign Joe. Joe left us. It gives them a little wiggle room.

Whether the players buy that, who knows?

Really, who believe that any of these players will truly make their decisions based on whether Joe is manager or not? That is about 3rd or 4th on their list of importance.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!!!!

I bet Joe consulted Bernie on this;-) What a total ass. It's the perfect ending for the stupid old fool!

"We felt we needed to go to a performance-based mode," team president Randy Levine said. "We thought it was very fair. It clearly was at the top of the market, but we respect Joe's decision."

Torre, who had held the job since 1995, made an unannounced trip from New York to the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., accompanied by general manager Brian Cashman and chief operating officer Lonn Trost. Levine said Torre turned down the offer during the meeting, which lasted about one hour.

**** "It is now time for the New York Yankees to move forward," Levine said.******

ANY manager coming in will demand a multi-year contract.

Now for Girardi or Mattingly, it will be at the 3-4 million per year level.

This was calculated. Do not expect the Yankees to be surprised here.

Mattingly or Girardi or not going to command anything close to 12 - 16 million over 3 or 4 years.

Mattingly or Girardi or not going to command anything close to 12 - 16 million over 3 or 4 years.

Randolph's first year was at 600k, and was the lowest in the league (stiffs).

Randolph's new deal pays him 4 mill total over the next 2 years.

If I am the Yankees and Mattingly is the guy, 7.5 mill over 3 years. What do you think Max?

Yup. Worst move ever..LOL! Now the players will now have to be accountable for their play. NO more Joe standing around saying, what can you do? Tip you cap! when the Yanks lose yet again in lethargic fashion. No more, we don't bunt! No more being out managed in every game, especially against the national league. No more sleeping in the dugout. No more burning out the bullpen. Yup, worst move ever:)

Cant blame Torre for not wanting to be a lame duck for a whole year, but at the sametime the Yanks cant continue to reward him after every playoff failure. His last extension came after 2004.

I agree with the post aboev who said the Yanks most likely knew TOrre would turn this down, which is what they wanted deep down so they wouldnt have to fire him.

Its time for both sides to move on.

Thanks for the memories JOe.

Thank god.

The players were much too comfortable, New York needs a manager who will light a fire under their asses and hold them accountable for their crappy play as of late. I was so glad he rejected the new offer, and the Yanks really covered their asses by giving him a reasonable contract (I believe its BASE was still 1m over what any other manager was making) with the potential for more if he actually does his job. I guess the part about doing his job getting the Yanks a championship was too much to handle. So the Yanks come out looking like they tried, hopefully some of the more stupid fans (see Egg Pennington fans) will be deceived by this purely PR contract offer. I truly believe the Yanks offered this knowing he would turn it down.

Now I hope they tie up A-Rod and Posada, and let Mo walk. Remember its always better to let a player on his (way) downside go a year early rather than later.

SD - great posts, I agree with your take on this.

He's leaving with his pride intact. This offer was laughable. If they truly had faith in his abilities money would never be an issue. This was set up to be turned down. Steinbrenner saves face by not firing him, but can say he walked away from a deal that any other manager would jump all over. They could have been more creative with compensation and not handled it this way with one year deal and bonuses.

There must be so much more to this that will come out. I'd like to hear what some of the players think, but they'll support Torre's decision and not speak badly about their boss so we may not hear what they really think.

Joe believes in his players and loves managing the Yankees. I don't think he wanted it to end this way and I'm bummed since he's been the manager as long as I've been supporting the Yanks.

I wish him well and wouldn't have wanted him to settle for this.

SD - great posts, I agree with your take on this.

He's leaving with his pride intact. This offer was laughable. If they truly had faith in his abilities money would never be an issue. This was set up to be turned down. Steinbrenner saves face by not firing him, but can say he walked away from a deal that any other manager would jump all over. They could have been more creative with compensation and not handled it this way with one year deal and bonuses.

There must be so much more to this that will come out. I'd like to hear what some of the players think, but they'll support Torre's decision and not speak badly about their boss so we may not hear what they really think.

Joe believes in his players and loves managing the Yankees. I don't think he wanted it to end this way and I'm bummed since he's been the manager as long as I've been supporting the Yanks.

I wish him well and wouldn't have wanted him to settle for this.

This offer was no insult. He had failed in his organization's mission since 2001, and failed in some remarkably abd circumstances. To quote one of my favorite philosphers(if not favorite presidents), William Jefferson Clinton, when ever they say it's not about the money, it's about the money. He still would've been the highest paid manager by almsot double (Piniella at $3.5 million) anyone else, and if he met the incentives(whcih with the Yanks' resources is doable) 2009 vests at $ 8 million. Vaya con Dios, Joseph. And good luck getting big bucks endorsements managing the Marlins or the Royals.

This offer was no insult. He had failed in his organization's mission since 2001, and failed in some remarkably abd circumstances. To quote one of my favorite philosphers(if not favorite presidents), William Jefferson Clinton, when ever they say it's not about the money, it's about the money. He still would've been the highest paid manager by almsot double (Piniella at $3.5 million) anyone else, and if he met the incentives(whcih with the Yanks' resources is doable) 2009 vests at $ 8 million. Vaya con Dios, Joseph. And good luck getting big bucks endorsements managing the Marlins or the Royals.

It's not the money, it's the length of term.

You don't pull the rug out from your leader, then entice him back, and make that enticement a one year deal.

You don't do that and expect him to take the deal.

This was calculated, and the results were known to the yankees before they made an announcements.

What it tells me is he has no faith in himself or team to make it and cash in on it.

Bull****. What it does is tell the players that the manager has been castrated and they no longer have to respect him. He did the right thing by telling George to stick it up his fat ass.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!!!!

I bet Joe consulted Bernie on this;-) What a total ass. It's the perfect ending for the stupid old fool!

"We felt we needed to go to a performance-based mode," team president Randy Levine said. "We thought it was very fair. It clearly was at the top of the market, but we respect Joe's decision."

Torre, who had held the job since 1995, made an unannounced trip from New York to the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., accompanied by general manager Brian Cashman and chief operating officer Lonn Trost. Levine said Torre turned down the offer during the meeting, which lasted about one hour.

**** "It is now time for the New York Yankees to move forward," Levine said.******

If Dennis Byrd was a whiny bitch like you, he'd still be in a hospital bed.

Archived