V8 Pushrod Mullet Ownage!

El Gringo Loco

Here's a good video that I wanted to share, a race between a Rotary engine car, and a V8 car, good stuff!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7478425524329074458&q=high

If anybody has some good car, truck, bike videos please post em' up. ;)

I'm currently rebuilding a 1969 Dodge Dart GT. I just bored out 318 for it so hopefully I'll have videos in the spring.

Mopar Daadge, Nice!

I like working on the classics a lot better than the newer ones for sure. A lot of room under the hood. :) No OBD BS either.

Looking forward to the vid!

Oh for sure. Even with the 318 V8 I've literally have a TON of room to work on it. Even the plugs with the stock exhaust manifold are a dream to get to. Same with the distributor, even though with the small block it's located at the back of the engine, it's readily accessible. My other ride is a 04 PT Cruiser and just forget trying to do anything on it except change the oil and plugs.

Cool, Mopar people! I wouldn't praise "space under the hood". You're lucky you have a small block. I have a '70 440 'cuda and you need to crawl under the car and change two of the plugs from underneath or the wheelwell. You also have to use a socket AND a crescent wrench because the ratchet won't fit. At least I don't have to take the manifold off like some of these new monstrosities, but they don't have to change the plugs every 8,000 miles either.

Cool, Mopar people! I wouldn't praise "space under the hood". You're lucky you have a small block. I have a '70 440 'cuda and you need to crawl under the car and change two of the plugs from underneath or the wheelwell. You also have to use a socket AND a crescent wrench because the ratchet won't fit. At least I don't have to take the manifold off like some of these new monstrosities, but they don't have to change the plugs every 8,000 miles either.

At least your distributor is in front! :biggrin: Sounds like a real sweet ride Dominator. If you have the electronic ignition what type do you have? I'm going with a Pertronixs hall effect set up, no box.

I used to own a 1972 Plymouth Duster with the legendary slant 6 engine. I used to be able to run that thing with almost no oil. it was an amazing car and engine.

I had a 72 powder blue Duster as well Bill. I had 3 other Mopars with that freakin slant 6. It was and they still are bullet proof. Great engine, that Chrysler used for like 15 years or so. At todays prices I bet you wish you still had it. :biggrin:

I'm currently rebuilding a 1969 Dodge Dart GT. I just bored out 318 for it so hopefully I'll have videos in the spring.

Very cool TJ - my first car was a dart convertible that had a slant 6. You just couldn't kill those things - they ran forever.

I used to own a 1972 Plymouth Duster with the legendary slant 6 engine. I used to be able to run that thing with almost no oil. it was an amazing car and engine.

Ha ha - din't see your post BP - aint it truth!

At least your distributor is in front! :biggrin: Sounds like a real sweet ride Dominator. If you have the electronic ignition what type do you have? I'm going with a Pertronixs hall effect set up, no box.

Thanks. My dad bought the car new. I had my infant seat in back. 4 speed pistol grip, black leather, overhead console, FK5 deep burnt orange metallic with a hockey stick stripe. ;) My Dad put a Mopar Performance electronic ignition conversion kit around '73. I have the orange box. We put a replacement conversion kit (distributor and box) in '88 or so. The car hasn't had too many miles since then.

You keeping the Dart mostly stock? What color is it? My Dad has a PT Cruiser turbo and I don't think it's too easy to change the plugs. My "regular" rides are two '80s Imperials. One dead stock and one with a Magnum crate engine.

I had a 72 powder blue Duster as well Bill. I had 3 other Mopars with that freakin slant 6. It was and they still are bullet proof. Great engine, that Chrysler used for like 15 years or so. At todays prices I bet you wish you still had it. :biggrin:

I had to get rid of it because it wouldn't pass the new emissions testing inspection in 1985. it was still in good shape, I just couldn't pass inspection with it.

I remember one time the gas line froze on it, and I wanted to get it in the garage (I was parked in the street). since I had a 3 speed on the floor I just put it in gear with the clutch engaged and kept the key turned until I rolled into the garage. :)

Oh for sure. Even with the 318 V8 I've literally have a TON of room to work on it. Even the plugs with the stock exhaust manifold are a dream to get to. Same with the distributor, even though with the small block it's located at the back of the engine, it's readily accessible. My other ride is a 04 PT Cruiser and just forget trying to do anything on it except change the oil and plugs.

I give props to anybody that works on late model American cars, they can be VERY difficult to work on. My buddy works in used cars at a dealer, he deals with all the trade in cars, I was just Toyota specific but I would help him from time to time. 90% of the time that he called upon my assistance..it was an American car kickin his *ss. :lol:

We had a PT Cruiser one time with a bunch of electrical gremlins, we found that a rat had chewed through a bunch of wires, but not before we had a work bench full of parts and a huge migraine. Chrysler wiring diagrams are weird! :)

wiring4.jpg

I wish I had a garage like Jay Leno. :lol:

Too many great cars out there, and not enough space. I like rotaries the best, but I love classic American cars too. Mopar, Studebakers and antique Fords are some of my favs.

Duster's, Cuda's, and Dart's Own!! :)

426 Hemi idle! :eusa_drool:

MXIGLrGZiU8

Nasty 3 rotor!

pQcMlJmz2Zs

Thanks. My dad bought the car new. I had my infant seat in back. 4 speed pistol grip, black leather, overhead console, FK5 deep burnt orange metallic with a hockey stick stripe. ;) My Dad put a Mopar Performance electronic ignition conversion kit around '73. I have the orange box. We put a replacement conversion kit (distributor and box) in '88 or so. The car hasn't had too many miles since then.

You keeping the Dart mostly stock? What color is it? My Dad has a PT Cruiser turbo and I don't think it's too easy to change the plugs. My "regular" rides are two '80s Imperials. One dead stock and one with a Magnum crate engine.

My hats off to you. You ARE the Mopar Man ! It's great that your Dad bought the Cuda new. Nothing like knowing the history of the car right from the box. Glad you told me the car was orange. I was picturing purple when I read about it. Seems every colour that Mopar came out with then was great. Quality paint that looked great and held up well. I was going to keep the Dart mostly stock. However I had a hard time finding an exhaust system for it and was facing having one custom made. With that in the back of my mind I'm ordering Hooker Headers from Summit Racing in Ohio. I can get the header for around $169 and the complete dual exhaust (2 turbo mufflers) from the headers back for around 2 bills. It's a 2 door hardtop GT , light turquoise with the black vinyl top and a black stripe outlined in chrome running down both sides of it. Black bucket seats with the console. I had the 318 bored out 0.030 so technically it's a 324. (after sitting for 18 years in my neighbors garage the rings rusted into the piston walls thus the bore job). I snapped one of the new rings last week reassembling it so I have been waiting for a replacement ring since. Everybody wants to sell you the whole set (24) not just one. ;)

I had to get rid of it because it wouldn't pass the new emissions testing inspection in 1985. it was still in good shape, I just couldn't pass inspection with it.

I remember one time the gas line froze on it, and I wanted to get it in the garage (I was parked in the street). since I had a 3 speed on the floor I just put it in gear with the clutch engaged and kept the key turned until I rolled into the garage. :)

That happened to a lot of cars Bill. Damn shame too. I wonder, since it would now be 20 + years old, if it would still have to pass that test?

I wish I had a garage like Jay Leno. :lol:

Too many great cars out there, and not enough space. I like rotaries the best, but I love classic American cars too. Mopar, Studebakers and antique Fords are some of my favs.

Duster's, Cuda's, and Dart's Own!! :)

426 Hemi idle! :eusa_drool:

MXIGLrGZiU8

Nasty 3 rotor!

pQcMlJmz2Zs

Damn I didn't get your uploads. Nothing beats the sound of a Hemi at idle, or haulin for that matter.

Where do you like putting your ring ends Thai? I like to put em' a little offset of the wrist pin @ 10, 2, 4 ,8. I have broken quite a few rings before, they can be brittle :lol:

I usually put them right on the pistons along with the rings. :bag: Except those pesky oil wiper ones. :)

That happened to a lot of cars Bill. Damn shame too. I wonder, since it would now be 20 + years old, if it would still have to pass that test?

I don't know, a couple of my friends have a GTO and a Road Runner and they passed inspection with them recently. but they carry fire extinguishers in the cars just in case. you know those carburetors are extinct now!

My hats off to you. You ARE the Mopar Man ! It's great that your Dad bought the Cuda new. Nothing like knowing the history of the car right from the box. Glad you told me the car was orange. I was picturing purple when I read about it. Seems every colour that Mopar came out with then was great. Quality paint that looked great and held up well. I was going to keep the Dart mostly stock. However I had a hard time finding an exhaust system for it and was facing having one custom made. With that in the back of my mind I'm ordering Hooker Headers from Summit Racing in Ohio. I can get the header for around $169 and the complete dual exhaust (2 turbo mufflers) from the headers back for around 2 bills. It's a 2 door hardtop GT , light turquoise with the black vinyl top and a black stripe outlined in chrome running down both sides of it. Black bucket seats with the console. I had the 318 bored out 0.030 so technically it's a 324. (after sitting for 18 years in my neighbors garage the rings rusted into the piston walls thus the bore job). I snapped one of the new rings last week reassembling it so I have been waiting for a replacement ring since. Everybody wants to sell you the whole set (24) not just one. ;)

The Dart sounds great. The 318 will pull nice, especially with the headers. With the price of gas these days, at least you'll be able to drive it. Sounds like a real neat project. I never really dug that deep into engines, that's why I went with the crate for my Imperial. Is yours an automatic? The low gearset 904's make for nice pickup in 318 cars. My 'cuda is burnt orange, but it's not really orange. That's Vitamin C. My car is basically like the one in this picture. Mine has the hockey stick stipe, body color mirrors and it's got Keystones. Otherwise it's the same except slightly dinged up. I couldn't find any shots of mine, it must be on the computer in the states.

Bobs_Cuda.jpg

Archived