Barton's Yankees Off-Season Plan w/25 Man Roster

Barton

1. Get rid of Joe Torre [already accomplished]

2. Hire Joe Girardi to manage the team

3. Sign Mariano Rivera to a 3 yr/40 million dollar deal.

4. Sign Jorge Posada to a 2 yr 35 million dollar deal w/a team option for a 3rd year.

5. Let Arod walk. I repeat, let him walk.

6. Pick up the 16 million dollar team option for 08' on Bobby Abreu.

(I admittedly am against this move, but it has to be done due to a certain trade I am proposing. Otherwise I would let Abreu go)

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

NOW, after we take care of those 6 issues we move on to improving the team through FREE AGENCY......

Step Number 1: Sign Aaron Rowand to play Centerfield. 4yr/46 mill deal, in that range should get it done.

Step Number 2: Sign relief pitcher Francisco Cordero to be the new set-up 8th inning man.

Step Number 3: Sign Kerry Wood to be a middle reliever.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

NOW, after we improved the team through free agency we move on to improving the team through TRADES......

Trade Number 1: Trade P Chien Ming Wang, CFer Melky Cabrera and a low level prospect to the Twins for P Johan Santana.

I know, it is tuff to say goodbye to Melky but you gotta give to get. Wang gives Twins a very solid #2 pitcher, Melky their new cheap young CF to replace Hunter. Dont forget the Twins leave the turf dome after 08' so Wang will be ok for them. Yanks sign Santana to long term deal and get the true ace they've been lacking for years.

Trade Number 2: Trade 3B Wilson Betemit, RP Kyle Farnsowrth and P Tyler Clippard to the Texas Rangers for 3B Hank Blalock.

The Rangers have been rumored to ship Blalock for a couple years now, and in Betemit they get a guy who can play 3B, a decent pitching prospect in Tyler Clippard and relief help in Farnsworth (w/the Yankees eating a large chunk of his remaining salary in 08'). Yankees get a slick fielding solid hitting 3B

Trade Number 3: Trade P Kei Igawa, RP Chris Britton and 1B Eric Duncan to the DRays for OFer Rocco Baldelli.

The oft-injured but very talented Rocco Baldelli has no spot on the Drays anymore with their OF set-up with Crawford-Upton-Young. He is rumored to be released, although I can't see that happening, he is available in trades. With Kei Igawa they get a cheap affordable starting pitcher, Chris Britton a decent back of the bullpen arm (better than half of the guys they have in there) and once hot prospect Eric Duncan has struggled the last 2 years but is still young at 23 and not a lost cause just yet. The Yankees get Rocco for depth, against LHP, and occasional starts for both Damon and Abreu. Also insurance for 2009 if the Yankees dont resign Bobby Abreu who is slated to be a free agent that year.

Trade Number 4: Trade P Mike Mussina.

I dont really care what for, just trade him. An NL team will want him.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

The 2008 New York Yankees [25 Man Roster]

Batting Order:

1. Johnny Damon [LF]

2. Derek Jeter [sS]

3. Bobby Abreu [RF]

4. Hideki Matsui [DH]

5. Robinson Cano [2B]

6. Aaron Rowand [CF]

7. Jorge Posada [C]

8. Hank Blalock [3B]

9. Shelly Duncan [1B]

Bench:

DH/PH - Jason Giambi. (want to get rid of him, realize its pretty much not gonna happen)

OFer - Rocco Baldelli (can play all 3 positions)

1B - Andy Phillips (defensive replacement & Utility guy)

Backup C - Jose Molina (re-signed)

SS - Alberto Gonzalez

Starting Pitchers:

1. Johan Santana

2. Andy Pettitte (going to assume he picks up his player option for 08')

3. Phil Hughes

4. Joba Chamberlain

5. Ian Kennedy

Bullpen:

Closer: Mariano Rivera

Setup man: Francisco Cordero

Relievers: Kerry Wood, Ross Ohlendorf, Edwar Ramirez, Humberto Sanchez or Alan Horne (I think we see both at some point in 08', but just 1 to start the year)

Coaching Staff:

Joe Girardi - Manager

Dave Eiland - Pitching coach

Kevin Long - Hitting coach

1B/3B/Bench/Bullpen coach - (who knows)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barton failed to mention this was his Fantasy Baseball League he was talking about.

Good topic though.

Even if realistic the fatal flaws in his plans(which he would kill the Yankee FO on) is,

Baldelli= Cannot stay on the field....worse hammies than Sideline Santana. BTW, why is it that some Yankee fans insist that Igawa has trade value? Baldelli is a poor move because the Yanks have enough cripples but he still is worth more than Igawa and failed prospects.

Kerry Wood= cannot stay on the field.

Blalock's= stats have declined for 3 straight seasons and he is nowhere near the star he was thought to be. However, is still vastly superior to the bag of crap Barton proposes sending Texas.

The Twins trade with Melky as part of the bait = The Twins repeatedly have said they intend to wrap up Hunter. The Twins also feel thay are contenders in 08 and don't have to do anything with Johann trade wise until the deadline.

Rowand has asked for 6 yrs 84 million.

Also just a rough estimate but that plan would increase the payroll by what 60-70 million???

Barton failed to mention this was his Fantasy Baseball League he was talking about.

Good topic though.

Even if realistic the fatal flaws in his plans(which he would kill the Yankee FO on) is,

Baldelli= Cannot stay on the field....worse hammies than Sideline Santana. BTW, why is it that some Yankee fans insist that Igawa has trade value? Baldelli is a poor move because the Yanks have enough cripples but he still is worth more than Igawa and failed prospects.

Kerry Wood= cannot stay on the field.

Blalock's= stats have declined for 3 straight seasons and he is nowhere near the star he was thought to be. However, is still vastly superior to the bag of crap Barton proposes sending Texas.

The Twins trade with Melky as part of the bait = The Twins repeatedly have said they intend to wrap up Hunter. The Twins also feel thay are contenders in 08 and don't have to do anything with Johann trade wise until the deadline.

Rowand has asked for 6 yrs 84 million.

Also just a rough estimate but that plan would increase the payroll by what 60-70 million???

I am sure they have. But you and I both know that is not going to happen.

No way Rowand gets that deal.

Betemit and Blalock is closer than you think, actually. And Igawa does have trade value, it is well known alot of small market teams wanted him at the deadline because he is cheap, young and has solid stuff.

Wood is a just taking a chance on a guy in hope of him staying healthy. I doubt he gets a long term deal from anyone so he could be a steal on a short contract.

Igawa and trade value? In the same sentance. Thats kind of like J Macs trade value. There is none. We paid 40 mil for this bum.

Wood a steal on a short contract? The man has never pitched in the American League, he'd get pounded. Not to mention one day soon his f'n arm is going to fall off.

And Rocco Badlelli? What the hell are you trying to do Barton? Give us a team full of guys who can't stay healthy?

Thank god your not the Gm of this team.

I like it.

I can already see the headlines in 2020.

"Manager Terry Francona was offered an insulting $15 million dollar one year extention, with $8 million in incentives. He's won the AL East 12 times and has 5 World Series wins."

I like the ideas. But Blalock and Baldelli might be available because they're always hurt. A-rod has been durable, he fields his position well and he's a lock for .310/45/135 with solid OBP. Craziest possilbe idea I've heard lately-shifting "Gets by a diving" Jeter to RF. Valtrex and parking vouchers for the bleacher creatures if it happens.

Or we can do it this way...

1. Get rid of Joe Torre [already accomplished]

2. Hire Don Mattingly to manage the team w/ Bowa as Bench Coach

3. Sign Mariano Rivera to a 3 yr/40 million dollar deal.

4. Sign Jorge Posada to a 2 yr 35 million dollar deal w/a team option for a 3rd year.

5. Sign ARod to an extension

6. Pick up the 16 million dollar team option for 08' on Bobby Abreu.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

NOW, after we take care of those 6 issues we move on to improving the team through FREE AGENCY......

Step Number 1: Sign relief pitcher Francisco Cordero to be the new set-up 8th inning man.

Step Number 2:Sign Kerry Wood to be a middle reliever.

Step Number 3:THERE IS NONE!

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

NOW, after we improved the team through free agency we move on to improving the team through TRADES......

Trade Number 1:Trade 3B Wilson Betemit to the Washington Nationals for Nick Johnson... or not. Nats might just do that deal, and this will give us depth at 1B. He can fight it out with Andy Phillips. Or, we can just ask Betemit to try 1B.

Trade Number 2: Trade P Kei Igawa to anyone.

Trade Number 3: Trade P Mike Mussina to Philadelphia or another NL team for Prospects

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

The 2008 New York Yankees [25 Man Roster]

Batting Order:

1. Johnny Damon [LF]

2. Derek Jeter [sS]

3. Bobby Abreu [RF]

4. Alex Rodriguez [3B]

5. Hideki Matsui [DH]

6. Robinson Cano [2B]

7. Jorge Posada [C]

8. Andy Phillips [1B]

9. Melky Cabrera [CF]

Bench:

DH/PH - Jason Giambi. (unless we can dump him)

1B - Nick Johnson (defensive replacement & Utility guy)

Backup C - Jose Molina (re-signed)

1B/OF - Shelly Duncan

Starting Pitchers:

1. Andy Pettitte (going to assume he picks up his player option for 08')

2. Chien-Ming Wang

3. Phil Hughes

4. Joba Chamberlain

5. Ian Kennedy

Bullpen:

Closer: Mariano Rivera

Setup man: Francisco Cordero

Relievers: Kerry Wood, Ross Ohlendorf, Edwar Ramirez, Humberto Sanchez or Alan Horne

Coaching Staff:

Don Mattingly - Manager

Larry Bowa - Bench Coach

Dave Eiland - Pitching coach

Kevin Long - Hitting coach

1B/3B/Bullpen coach - (who knows)

Just A FEW TWEAKS

I like it.

I can already see the headlines in 2020.

"Manager Terry Francona was offered an insulting $15 million dollar one year extention, with $8 million in incentives. He's won the AL East 12 times and has 5 World Series wins."

wow, so you think the Yankees will hire Francona? I doubt that. But you never know!

You neglected how the Yankees aquired the hypnotist, that allows them to seduce every trading partner you list to be suckered into those lopsided trades.

Oh, and you also neglected to mention how the now thrifty Yankees will take on all this new bloated payroll.

Yeaaa......because lopsided trades NEVER happen, lol.

btw these trades arent lopsided at all.

I'm not so sure if you even know who some of the players I suggested trading are.

Yeaaa......because lopsided trades NEVER happen, lol.

btw these trades arent lopsided at all.

I'm not so sure if you even know who some of the players I suggested trading are.

If you want to live in a fantasy world, I will not stop you.

Doesn't mnean we have to accept it as being a post of reality though.

Not by anybody who knows what he's talking about.

Yeah I musta missed that one as well. I know he was criticized for passed balls and his throwing 3-4 years back but his defense has improved. I also don't think Posada has ever called the pitches....could be wrong there but always seems he is peering into the dugout for the sign. He's also IMO the heart and soul of the Yankee clubhouse.

Do you know what Posada's career avg's are? And BTW more money less years is always the way to go.

Sure, he just hit 60 points above his career average, his SLG was 50 points above his career average, 40 more hits above his career average.

If you want to pay 17 1/2 million dollars to a career .277 hitter (this includes this years .338), with a career OBP of .381, knock yourself out. That is exactly how the Yankees haven't won anything since 2000.

He's old and miraculously had his best year of his career. He has nowhere to go but down.

Sure, he just hit 60 points above his career average, his SLG was 50 points above his career average, 40 more hits above his career average.

If you want to pay 17 1/2 million dollars to a career .277 hitter (this includes this years .338), with a career OBP of .381, knock yourself out. That is exactly how the Yankees haven't won anything since 2000.

He's old and miraculously had his best year of his career. He has nowhere to go but down.

LOL @ using a career 381 OBP to bash a player. Thats GREAT for a catcher. The only thing that posada had this year that was inflated was his batting average which is a meaningless stat anyway. Most all his other stats were the same as his career trends.

No it sucks for you because anyone who understands what BA is and what other measures are available knows how meaningless it is.

OPS would suggest Jason Giambi is a good player. My eyes tell me otherwise.

All you stat geeks forgot whats actually important, watching the games.

That makes a lot of sense.

17.5 mill for a player who has been average at best his whole career and isn't far from the retirement tree?

Too bad you aren't the Yanks GM..their dowward spiral would have occured years ago.

Gotta gree 100%. Let's see the object of the game is to cross home plate.....a big way of doing that is by getting a hit thus having the chance to score.

By Mike's theory my favorite Yankee...the lil captain brings nothing to the table.:)

As much as your bashing of DJ gets under my skin, Mike's saber stats annoy me a hell of a lot more.

Whatever happened to watching the games and making judgements???

:)

17.5 mill for a player who has been average at best his whole career and isn't far from the retirement tree?

Too bad you aren't the Yanks GM..their dowward spiral would have occured years ago.

How the hell has posada been average at b est? He's been one of the best catchers in baseball for years.

Archived