Mangini NOT naming Pennington his starter

Bowens had like 7 sacks last year playing opposite Jason down here and I don't think Ive even seen him n a play this year-why not? Are Ellis and Hicks doing that great? Every job should be on the line right now on the defensive side of the ball except Revis and Rhodes-if he's 265 he would make a good speed rusher-line him out wide like they did with him in Miami and make the OL account for him

If you think people run on us now, wait until we have someone who weighs 265 on the line. 3-4 ends=tall 4-3 tackles with more speed.

If you think people run on us now, wait until we have someone who weighs 265 on the line. 3-4 ends=tall 4-3 tackles with more speed.

why is it that last week we played mostly a 4-3 and had some defensive success and this week we're back to the 3-4 and getting blown 3 yards off the ball every play? I Want to see what some of these other guys can do-they can NOT be any worse than what we've seen-this defense lacks any semblance of cohesiveness and heart

why is it that last week we played mostly a 4-3 and had some defensive success and this week we're back to the 3-4 and getting blown 3 yards off the ball every play? I Want to see what some of these other guys can do-they can NOT be any worse than what we've seen-this defense lacks any semblance of cohesiveness and heart

The same reason why Clemens was benched after almost pulling out a win against the Ravens D, why Baker is "injured" and not playing, and why Kendall is on another team. Mangini's stubborness and arrogance. If something goes right that he didn't plan for, he intentionally sabotages it so that he can not be criticized for it. There are a lot of Jets fans that still support him after all because of this tactic, and still claim Chad Pennington should play QB for the Jets for the next 10 years.

I disagree about the Jones trade, for one. That was a good trade, this OL really sucks, Jones cant do anything about that. I paid special attention to the OL today and was not impressed with the results. Even when there were no free shots, the pocket always seemed to collapse around Pennington after a second or two and on some running plays our offensive line actually got pushed BACK.

We didnt even lose a draft pick in the Jones trade, and he is definately better then Barlow or Blaylock.

I cant say I disagree with you on the Kendall situation, although I dont think Kendall handled that well either and it may have set a bad example if we caved in to his demands.

No, I dont think he is Saban, Spurrier, or BB. I think he is Eric Mangini, that simple. So far hes turned in one great season and one terrible season, but I need more time before placing any kind of label on him.

When you're being trapped by 8-9 defensemen every time you try to run with the ball, you get stopped at the gate.

As for Pennington's play. I think Cinci caught onto the fact that after the 1st two long drives for 1st downs, they were able to stop him cold in the REDZONE. All Cincinatti's Defense had to do was reset themselves in the 2nd half & Pennington became their pray.

A change right now will force defenses to open up more & give KC a chance to shift better. He may be young but if Mangini does not play him - his time as a JET at this point will be all for nothing - ESPECIALLY SINCE MANGINI & TANNENBAUM PICKED HIM IN THE DRAFT TO BEGIN WITH!

As for the defense - it took 8 games last year for this "D" to open up - who's to say it won't take 10 this year!

When you're being trapped by 8-9 defensemen every time you try to run with the ball, you get stopped at the gate.

As for Pennington's play. I think Cinci caught onto the fact that after the 1st two long drives for 1st downs, they were able to stop him cold in the REDZONE. All Cincinatti's Defense had to do was reset themselves in the 2nd half & Pennington became their pray.

A change right now will force defenses to open up more & give KC a chance to shift better. He may be young but if Mangini does not play him - his time as a JET at this point will be all for nothing - ESPECIALLY SINCE MANGINI & TANNENBAUM PICKED HIM IN THE DRAFT TO BEGIN WITH!

As for the defense - it took 8 games last year for this "D" to open up - who's to say it won't take 10 this year!

Good post BaumerJet. =D>

I think Mangini shouldve done this when we were 1-4 and still had a small shot at turning this around.

?

i thought you said KC wasnt ready???????

am i confusing you wit hanother poster who was railing against playing KC sooner rather than later????????

I think Mangini shouldve done this when we were 1-4 and still had a small shot at turning this around.

?

am i confusing you wit hanother poster who was railing against playing KC sooner rather than later????????

?

Yes, the hypocrisy is funny isn't it? I mentioned it too and he played it off as if he wasn't insulting everyone that wanted Clemens in.

?

No, you continue to misunderstand me.

How would I know if KC is ready or not? Im not in practice every week.

All I was saying is that there's no reason to rush him in IF he isnt ready...Especially in a lost season.

It seems as if Mangini feels he is ready, which means im completely baffled about why he hasnt been starter earlier, but thats not the point.

Yes, the hypocrisy is funny isn't it? I mentioned it too and he played it off as if he wasn't insulting everyone that wanted Clemens in.

Seriously, go back and check the posts.

I know Chad has sucked and have said so various times.

If KC isnt ready, then dont rush him in for no reason, its not like our season is on the line.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

No, you continue to misunderstand me.

How would I know if KC is ready or not? Im not in practice every week.

All I was saying is that there's no reason to rush him in IF he isnt ready...Especially in a lost season.

It seems as if Mangini feels he is ready, which means im completely baffled about why he hasnt been starter earlier, but thats not the point.

You don't go to the practices? Weak. Just weak.

The rest of us are there. Every day.

I cant say I disagree with you on the Kendall situation, although I dont think Kendall handled that well either and it may have set a bad example if we caved in to his demands.

As the official (I'm sorry ****official****) they ****ed up the Pete Kendall situation spokesperson from Day 1 I have to inform you that they did, in fact, cave in to Kendall's demands. They traded him to another team that paid him. He said from the start that they had agreed to pay him, trade him or cut him. All they did was look like jackasses in the press for the entire training camp and preseason. Kendall might not have handled it in the most gentlemanly fashion, but he handled it so that he got what he wanted. An extra $1M to go with a 4-2 record and 115 rushing ypg.

Puoha played a lot of the 4th. D-rob and his $12 million may be finding a seat on the bench, or moving over to a DE spot. IDon't know how anyone could watch the 2nd half and say Pennington played well. Spare the BS TD, he simply cannot move a team into the endzone. And if he's not perfect, the whole house of cards falls apart.

Considering the way the D played in the 2nd half I'm surprised anybody that saw playing time is being called for as an improvement. I think they ran DRob next to Mosley for a series and it looked pretty sad. I could be wrong, the computer screen is small, sopcast sucks and the Red Zone Network didn't have the Jets on too much.

As the official (I'm sorry ****official****) they ****ed up the Pete Kendall situation spokesperson from Day 1 I have to inform you that they did, in fact, cave in to Kendall's demands. They traded him to another team that paid him. He said from the start that they had agreed to pay him, trade him or cut him. All they did was look like jackasses in the press for the entire training camp and preseason. Kendall might not have handled it in the most gentlemanly fashion, but he handled it so that he got what he wanted. An extra $1M to go with a 4-2 record and 115 rushing ypg.

I guess.

But I think they wanted to keep him on, they just didnt want to give him anything extra.

Kendall's babiness gave them no choice but to move him, however.

I guess.

But I think they wanted to keep him on, they just didnt want to give him anything extra.

Exactly. Would you rather be perceived as a baby or have $1M? Choice seems easy to me. It worked like a charm. They called his bluff and he called their's.

Exactly. Would you rather be perceived as a baby or have $1M? Choice seems easy to me. It worked like a charm. They called his bluff and he called their's.

And Thats why Tangini is so commited to adding character to the team.

So they dont encounter such problems in the future.

Currently their bunch of high character guys are 1-6. I'd rather have a couple of selfish @ssholes and be 6-1.

Why was Kendall a bad character? If you believe Kendall he was told that they would renegotiate with him after the season and cut him if they couldn't come to an arrangement. Considering that they outright lied about not renegotiating contacts with players with more than a year remaining (see Brandon Moore) I see no reason to trust them over Kendall. Besides, the guy was a good soldier filled in at C, renegotiated his contract to stay with the team (the deal might have been in his best interests, but it was at the Jets request) and by all accounts was a good influence on Mangold and Ferguson. People complain because he was a player rep and wanted to get paid. Give me 53 guys looking to "get paid" (like Assante Samuel) over the Bryan Thomas' of the world any day.

Currently their bunch of high character guys are 1-6. I'd rather have a couple of selfish @ssholes and be 6-1.

Your team leaders and major contributors should be high character, but that's the key, they have to be major contributors. LT is super high character, and he also happens to be the best back in the league, so it works out great. But a lot of those other Chargers run their mouths. When they play well it's fine though. If it takes the stupid Lights Out dance for Merriman to be a beast, then every Charger fan will gladly egg him on to doing it.

Where is our Merriman or our LT? We don't have either. You don't fill your team with high character guys, you fill them with talent with character being secondary. The choice between high character nothing player vs ok character great performer should be easy. There is something to be said for avoiding the absolute worst character, but how many of those are around? If that is the reason we don't have Randy Moss, that is sure looking good isn't it?

Well I'm going to sleep on a good note, we will win next week if this is true.

Go Clemens!

so does that mean clemens is playing NT too? cause that is almost more important than a QB that has scored 31, 24 and 31 points this season.

Defense equals = 38, 20, 28, 17 (bills :smilies2_puke:), 35, 16, and 38 points.

yeah, clemens should help us win at least 9 straight, and keep their running backs under the century mark.

so does that mean clemens is playing NT too? cause that is almost more important than a QB that has scored 31, 24 and 31 points this season.

Defense equals = 38, 20, 28, 17 (bills :smilies2_puke:), 35, 16, and 38 points.

yeah, clemens should help us win at least 9 straight, and keep their running backs under the century mark.

Why the throw up smiley beside the Bills, that was only 17 points????

Why was Kendall a bad character? If you believe Kendall he was told that they would renegotiate with him after the season and cut him if they couldn't come to an arrangement. Considering that they outright lied about not renegotiating contacts with players with more than a year remaining (see Brandon Moore) I see no reason to trust them over Kendall. Besides, the guy was a good soldier filled in at C, renegotiated his contract to stay with the team (the deal might have been in his best interests, but it was at the Jets request) and by all accounts was a good influence on Mangold and Ferguson. People complain because he was a player rep and wanted to get paid. Give me 53 guys looking to "get paid" (like Assante Samuel) over the Bryan Thomas' of the world any day.

Because of how he handled the situation.

I understand he wanted to be paid, but that doesnt give him the right to go crying to the media.

No, I have no idea why I should believe a word that came out of that baby's mouth. The professional and correct way to handle it was to keep it an internal problem and not use the media as a weapon in negotiations.

Your team leaders and major contributors should be high character, but that's the key, they have to be major contributors. LT is super high character, and he also happens to be the best back in the league, so it works out great. But a lot of those other Chargers run their mouths. When they play well it's fine though. If it takes the stupid Lights Out dance for Merriman to be a beast, then every Charger fan will gladly egg him on to doing it.

Where is our Merriman or our LT? We don't have either. You don't fill your team with high character guys, you fill them with talent with character being secondary. The choice between high character nothing player vs ok character great performer should be easy. There is something to be said for avoiding the absolute worst character, but how many of those are around? If that is the reason we don't have Randy Moss, that is sure looking good isn't it?

I agree with 80% of what you just said.

I dont mind celebrations and playing aggresive and having fun on-field. Ya, sometimes people like that will make a few mental errors and draw stupid penalties but if their play can make up for it thats okay.

As long as theyre not in the locker room b!tching after every game about not getting enough touches, teammates letting him down, etc etc (see TO, Shockey, Meshawn) then they can go all out and be nasty on the field.

About Randy Moss, I still think he would be a terrible fit for the Jets offense.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Ive only seen Moss run one route this season... One that our QB has a very difficult time throwing for that matter.

I understand he wanted to be paid, but that doesnt give him the right to go crying to the media.

No, I have no idea why I should believe a word that came out of that baby's mouth. The professional and correct way to handle it was to keep it an internal problem and not use the media as a weapon in negotiations.

So on that same note you have to call the Jets stupid for putting Kendall in the rookie quarters, for playing him for 4 quarters almost every preseason game, for making him play out of position and for trying to make him look like a fool.

Kendall looked like a greedy player but the Jets FO and Mangini looked like arrogant fools. They especially look stupid now being they never replaced him and the OL has taken a step back.

Neither party looked good. If you bash Kendall you have to bash the Jets. Take care of the matter in March and April. Not in late August.

So on that same note you have to call the Jets stupid for putting Kendall in the rookie quarters, for playing him for 4 quarters almost every preseason game, for making him play out of position and for trying to make him look like a fool.

Kendall looked like a greedy player but the Jets FO and Mangini looked like arrogant fools. They especially look stupid now being they never replaced him and the OL has taken a step back.

Neither party looked good. If you bash Kendall you have to bash the Jets. Take care of the matter in March and April. Not in late August.

I have...

Neither side handled that well, I agree.

I agree with 80% of what you just said.

I dont mind celebrations and playing aggresive and having fun on-field. Ya, sometimes people like that will make a few mental errors and draw stupid penalties but if their play can make up for it thats okay.

As long as theyre not in the locker room b!tching after every game about not getting enough touches, teammates letting him down, etc etc (see TO, Shockey, Meshawn) then they can go all out and be nasty on the field.

About Randy Moss, I still think he would be a terrible fit for the Jets offense.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Ive only seen Moss run one route this season... One that our QB has a very difficult time throwing for that matter.

Chad and Moss seemed to do well at Marshall. But that's besides the point. Even if Moss were just avg on the Jets, at least we'd have him and not the Patriots. It's the Yanks/Red Sox theory. You take a player you think might improve the other team or you drive up the price.

Letting the Pats get Moss for a 4th round pick was the steal of the off season. It's depressing at this point.

I guess.

If Kendall didn't cry to the media and left it as an internal situation he'd be our starting left guard and earning $1M less. I'm pretty sure the Jets went to the press first, they shopped him at draft time and then said it was because he wanted more money. That's when Kendall stepped up and told his side. Sure he kept telling it, but it is what it is. Maybe he could have handled it better, but what he did was the one surefire way to get what he wanted from a FO he had no reason to trust.

If Kendall didn't cry to the media and left it as an internal situation he'd be our starting left guard and earning $1M less. I'm pretty sure the Jets went to the press first, they shopped him at draft time and then said it was because he wanted more money. That's when Kendall stepped up and told his side. Sure he kept telling it, but it is what it is. Maybe he could have handled it better, but what he did was the one surefire way to get what he wanted from a FO he had no reason to trust.

I dont remember who went to the press first, but the situation started well before tc and the Jets failed to adequately resolve it before it got ugly.

Jets open camp with disgruntled Kendall and without first-rounder Revis

E-MAIL Print Comment 0

Posted: July 27, 2007

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Eric Mangini's second training camp as coach of the New York Jets opened with a disgruntled veteran on the field and the team's first-round pick unsigned.

Already known for running a tough camp, Mangini already has some controversy to deal with.

"I'm sure they look forward to (camp)," a noticeably thinner Mangini said with a grin Friday after the morning practice. "Most kids like to go to camp and this is just our adult version of camp. We probably won't be telling any ghost stories, but I think it'll be a good time for everybody."

Well, not quite. Left guard Pete Kendall, who asked the Jets months ago to trade or release him because of a bitter contract dispute, was with the team at practice, but was far from happy.

Then again, at least he was there. Cornerback Darrelle Revis, the No. 14 overall pick in April, became the Jets' first unsigned first-round no-show for the start of training camp since linebacker James Farrior in 1997.

"We're going to focus on the guys that are here," Mangini said. "And we're going to focus on those guys and get them better, and collectively get better."

Kendall, an offensive co-captain who turned 34 earlier this month, is looking for a $1 million raise on his $1.7 million salary, but the Jets haven't budged.

"I have nothing to add," Neil Schwartz, Kendall's agent, told The Associated Press when asked for comment.

Instead of staying away from camp, Kendall thought it made more financial sense to report because he would lose $14,000 each day he's absent. So, as he did during minicamp, he kneeled on the turf by himself at times and watched the first-team offense go through drills.

"To me, a holdout's a negotiation tactic," he said. "There's no negotiation, so at this point, it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to start giving money back."

Instead, Kendall again recently requested that the Jets trade or release him.

"I don't understand why I'm still here," he said. "I've clearly expressed that I don't want to be here. I'm running with the second team. It's seemingly devolved into a personal thing. I show up and I'm assigned to the rookie dorm. I don't get that."

------------------

From May 13, NYTimes:

Jets Coach Eric Mangini said the veteran offensive lineman Pete Kendall, one of the team captains last year, had stopped attending the team

I disagree about the Jones trade, for one. That was a good trade, this OL really sucks, Jones cant do anything about that. I paid special attention to the OL today and was not impressed with the results. Even when there were no free shots, the pocket always seemed to collapse around Pennington after a second or two and on some running plays our offensive line actually got pushed BACK.

We didnt even lose a draft pick in the Jones trade, and he is definately better then Barlow or Blaylock.

No, I dont think he is Saban, Spurrier, or BB. I think he is Eric Mangini, that simple. So far hes turned in one great season and one terrible season, but I need more time before placing any kind of label on him.

great post gangreenman. a couple thoughts

Jones was a great trade. no back in the league could gain 100 yds on our current offense

Kendall situation?- yeah they screwed it up for this year but pete kendall is not the answer at left guard. ousting him was a year too soon maybe but he is not the future.

sean payton, eric mangini---- to label these guys great or terrible is foolish halfway thru their sophmore year.

I wanna say i'm confident kc will be much better but I don't know anything jets related anymore. I thought mangini & chad would shine this year.

3 words for the dline---ELLIS POUHA COLEMAN.

let d'rob run it in on 2nd and goal from the 1 yd line

Archived