Apple's MONSTER quarter

joebabyny

They have moved up to the #3 computer seller after Dell and HP. The record quarter also comes at around the 10 year anniversary of the famous snub when Michael Dell publicly said when asked what he would do if he ran apple "i would sell it and give the money back to shareholders." lol. I am a little surprised with the volume of ipods still being sold, it just won't stop. It is funny how almost everyone in the media and in the tech sector said the ipod would never take off.

Oh, and over 1 million iphones in one quarter leading into the holiday buying season with a new lower priced iphone, bammm. Of course verizon is everywhere talking about their "iphone killer." They shot themselves in the foot passing on the iphone and now they need to introduce a "killer" to go against a company who released their first and only phone 3 months ago, lol.

Apple posts $904 million profit

By Jim Dalrymple

Apple on Monday reported a $904 million profit or $1.01 per diluted share on revenue of $6.22 billion for its fiscal fourth quarter. The quarter was strengthened by record Mac sales as well as high iPod and iPhone sales.

International sales accounted for 40 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple handily beat analysts expectations for the quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call expected Apple earnings to come in at $.86 per share.

These results compare to revenue of $4.84 billion and net quarterly profit of $542 million or $.62 per diluted share in the year ago quarter.

For the year, Apple generated over $24 billion in revenue and $3.5 billion in net income, the company said. Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said Apple ended the fiscal year with $15.4 billion in cash and no debt.

Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macs, representing 34 percent growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly record for Mac shipments by 400,000.

macunitsales.jpg

The company also sold 10.2 million iPods during the quarter, representing 17 percent growth over the year-ago quarter.

Quarterly iPhone sales were 1,119,000, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to 1,389,000. Apple reported iPhone sales of 270,000 and the end of third quarter, which included one day of sales.

Oppenheimer said that looking ahead to 2008 Apple expects revenue of about $9.2 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $1.42.

Apple stock finished up $3.94 or 2.31 percent at $174.36 in Nasdaq trading. In after hours trading the stock is up a further $8.64 or 4.96 percent at $183.

I doubt Verizon will fall flat on their face at all. Millions of people - myself included - won't get an iphone b/c it's only available through AT&T who has crappy coverage & 4x the number of dead spots (read: dropped calls) in many areas like where I live. Shame too, b/c I'd have bought one right away when it was $600.

Also consider that most people still use their cell phone as just a phone. A few of my friends have iphones. They are absolutely in love with it sometimes & want to throw it away at other times.

Its primary purpose is to be a phone. There are free phones that perform this task better on a better network.

It sucks that Verizon passed on it. The browser in particular is way cool.

I doubt Verizon will fall flat on their face at all. Millions of people - myself included - won't get an iphone b/c it's only available through AT&T who has crappy coverage & 4x the number of dead spots (read: dropped calls) in many areas like where I live. Shame too, b/c I'd have bought one right away when it was $600.

Also consider that most people still use their cell phone as just a phone. A few of my friends have iphones. They are absolutely in love with it sometimes & want to throw it away at other times.

Its primary purpose is to be a phone. There are free phones that perform this task better on a better network.

As long as it is tied to only one carrier then yeah, the other carriers will be fine because everyone has had problems with one carrier or another. I have always been open to the different carriers though since i had tmobile for a few days and it sucking in the area i lived in, only to drastically improve overnight one day, while my nextel service went from great to unusable. The thing with coverage areas, they always change, but bad experiences are hard to get past with a service so vital as a phone. I do think the iphone keeps gaining momentum, and the more steam it gathers, the harder it will be for people to resist jumping onboard. I think the news last week of apple deciding to open up the platform to third party applications is great, and will lead another wave of buyers to the phone. I am also excited to see what new features will be added to the phone in light of the new mac OS release at the end of the week.

As far as the primary use of the iphone, as a phone, with the last update i think they fixed the most glaring problem, the volume of the speaker for the speaker phone/ringer, and it is cool that they were able to fix that through a software update. And things like visual voicemail make this phone head and shoulders above any other phone.

If you had an iphone you could blog with it. Especially if you were a female dancer.

If you had an iphone you could blog with it. Especially if you were a female dancer.

hahaha, i saw that commercial last night, wtf??

Even funnier was the airline pilot using it to get weather info that was better and more updated then what the faa and traffic control is using, and it is weather.com!! WTF!!!!!!

I've had Nextel, Sprint, Verizon and now ATT. I also have had 3 Blackberries. For simpling browsing the net and music, the iphone wins hands down. I'm not a big email guy, but I have no problem doing that either. As far as dead spots, I don't think I see a difference. Then again, we all live in different places/states . I can truely say I am 100% happy with my purchase. Something I doubted for a long time I would see come out of my mouth.

I like the fact that Apple is grabbing a bigger share of the market. Put Microsoft on notice that it has to get off its ass and put out quality products.

I just got my latest PC a year ago, and have Vista Ultimate. Big disappointment. My next computer will likely be a Mac. Just don't want the headaches anymore.

I like the fact that Apple is grabbing a bigger share of the market. Put Microsoft on notice that it has to get off its ass and put out quality products.

I just got my latest PC a year ago, and have Vista Ultimate. Big disappointment. My next computer will likely be a Mac. Just don't want the headaches anymore.

It's actually cool to see apple completely owning a few catogories as well, like the whole mp3 player/digital download market. Even though apple owns and is entrenched with the ipod/itunes store, you see real new quality products coming out.

There has been a lot written in blogs and articles on the subject, it just seems that for whatever reason msft as an organization is not equipped to handle innovation and the creative types who successfully come out with great new products. Case in point, bungie, the halo creators.

Don't get too happy over it. As they grow & get seen as more of a mainstream company, anti-establishment dirtbags will start spreading the love around with Apple viruses.

Yeah... we would be better served if they didnt continue to grow...

The only thing Apple I own is an iPod and I don't even know where it is. Last thing Apple that I had before that was an Apple IIe.

When I get another laptop I'll probably go in that direction, but I'm perfectly happy with my hp desktop.

Don't get too happy over it. As they grow & get seen as more of a mainstream company, anti-establishment dirtbags will start spreading the love around with Apple viruses.

ehh, with 7 percent of the market that would take a very long time. At the end of the day apple will never make 400.00 boxes that can't run their OS properly, so windows will always be the market leader, and that is who hackers will go after.

ecurb, without apple, gates et all would be lost. You wanna see a windows os worse then what you have already, take away their biggest inspiration and you will be looking at 20 years of vista service pack updates, lol.

They have moved up to the #3 computer seller after Dell and HP. The record quarter also comes at around the 10 year anniversary of the famous snub when Michael Dell publicly said when asked what he would do if he ran apple "i would sell it and give the money back to shareholders." lol. I am a little surprised with the volume of ipods still being sold, it just won't stop. It is funny how almost everyone in the media and in the tech sector said the ipod would never take off.

Oh, and over 1 million iphones in one quarter leading into the holiday buying season with a new lower priced iphone, bammm. Of course verizon is everywhere talking about their "iphone killer." They shot themselves in the foot passing on the iphone and now they need to introduce a "killer" to go against a company who released their first and only phone 3 months ago, lol.

Apple posts $904 million profit

By Jim Dalrymple

Apple on Monday reported a $904 million profit or $1.01 per diluted share on revenue of $6.22 billion for its fiscal fourth quarter. The quarter was strengthened by record Mac sales as well as high iPod and iPhone sales.

International sales accounted for 40 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple handily beat analysts expectations for the quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call expected Apple earnings to come in at $.86 per share.

These results compare to revenue of $4.84 billion and net quarterly profit of $542 million or $.62 per diluted share in the year ago quarter.

For the year, Apple generated over $24 billion in revenue and $3.5 billion in net income, the company said. Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said Apple ended the fiscal year with $15.4 billion in cash and no debt.

Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macs, representing 34 percent growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly record for Mac shipments by 400,000.

macunitsales.jpg

The company also sold 10.2 million iPods during the quarter, representing 17 percent growth over the year-ago quarter.

Quarterly iPhone sales were 1,119,000, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to 1,389,000. Apple reported iPhone sales of 270,000 and the end of third quarter, which included one day of sales.

Oppenheimer said that looking ahead to 2008 Apple expects revenue of about $9.2 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $1.42.

Apple stock finished up $3.94 or 2.31 percent at $174.36 in Nasdaq trading. In after hours trading the stock is up a further $8.64 or 4.96 percent at $183.

When was Leopard/Boot Camp released?

Archived