Interesting tidbit on Roby ... via Jetses

Green Jets & Ham

You Guys might remember that it was muh-man over at Jets Addicts {Jetses} who first touted Erik Coleman as a 5th RD heist for the Jets ... You may have first heard about Coleman from me, but I was enlightened by Jetses {who is the sharpest draftnik I know}

Anyhow, Jetses and I were having a little exchange about Courtney Roby yesterday and this morning ... it was then that I learned he loves Roby every bit as much as yours truly

Obviously Roby ran some blazing 40's at the combines ... I'm hearing he ran a 4.35 and a 4.25 :shock: ... but here's another combine tidbit on Roby, via my friend Jetses

Speaking of Roby's agility...

He also ran a BLISTERING 6.60 in the 3-cone drill.

That has to be some sort of combine record, it's near un-Earthly.

WOW!!!

This is a drill where 6.90-7.00 seconds is the goal for the swiftest, most agile players, and Roby rips off a 6.60 :shock:

But of course it will go nearly unnoticed by people because all they pay attention to are 40's, verts, and bench presses.

DO NOT discount this info ... these are the type of under-the-radar drills Jetses was sharing with me last year about Erik Coleman ... while Coleman was not running the fastest 40's, Jetses was emphasizing how he excelled in some of the less heralded drills

But that aside, this tells us Roby is not only running blazing 40's at the combines ... he's pretty much tearing it up all the way around ... and this after he blew them away at the Senior Bowl to catipult himself into the 2nd RD

AND TAKE NOTE ... this is NOT some workout warrior we're talkin about here ... I saw this kid play football, and his talent jumped off the screen at me

Oh yeah, and he's a six-footer to boot

WR | (6'0", 184, 4.43) | INDIANA

Data from Scouts, Inc.

Grade: 56

Comments: Strengths: Possesses great speed and can stretch defenses vertically. Has the body control to adjust to the ball while it's in the air and can make the tough over-the-shoulder catch. Plays with a mean streak and will fight though press coverage. Holds onto the ball after taking the big hit and isn't afraid to go over the middle. Has good experience returning kicks, plays with a non-stop motor and should develop into a quality special teams' contributor. Showed steady progress at the college level and should only get better with experience.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal change of direction skills, doesn't explode out of cuts and needs to improve route-running skills. Builds speed slowly, doesn't have the elusiveness to make multiple defenders miss and needs a seam to turn the short gain into the big play. Lacks have ideal height and will have some problems challenging for jump balls in the red zone as well as downfield.

Bottom line: Roby played in 11 games and started three of them during his freshman season in 2001. He has been a fulltime starter since and has developed into one of the nation's most productive wide receivers as a senior in 2004. Roby doesn't have elite size and he's still a little bit rough around the edges as a route runner, but he has excellent speed and he continues to make significant strides with more experience. He is a developmental prospect that should make his biggest impact on special teams as a rookie but has the potential to develop into a Brandon Stokley-type No. 3 WR in the NFL if he continues to improve at such a fast clip. Right now Roby projects as a mid-Day 2 prospect but if he finishes strong as a senior and is able to run the expected impressive 40-time during post-season workouts, he could come off the board even earlier.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

This from Scouts Inc. Ham not very flattering on the whole-I trust your judgement more than these so called experts.

Faba, if the man who wrote that evaluation worked over at draft daddy, I would fire him on the spot for impersonating a scout :lol:

That write-up is the biggest crock I have ever seen ... makes me wonder if he ever even saw Roby play football?

For example, how can he say Roby picks up speed slowly?

WHAT A JOKE ... Roby's acceleration skills are downright jaw-dropping

That alone tells me the man who wrote that evaluation is a clown

I would take issue with nearly everything this fool had to say, but that alone makes his evaluation a joke

Roby analogy....Bethel Johnson

And as far as Coleman, i remember as if it was yesterday on last years draft thread the Ham HATED the pick. It wasn't until after that he warmed up to Coleman!!

No one really knew of Coleman on JI though!!

Faba, if the man who wrote that evaluation worked over at draft daddy, I would fire him on the spot for impersonating a scout :lol:

That write-up is the biggest crock I have ever seen ... makes me wonder if he ever even saw Roby play football?

For example, how can he say Roby picks up speed slowly?

WHAT A JOKE ... Roby's acceleration skills are downright jaw-dropping

That alone tells me the man who wrote that evaluation is a clown

I would take issue with nearly everything this fool had to say, but that alone makes his evaluation a joke

GJ & Ham

I knew when I posted this I would get your blood boiling- Indiana stunk the years Roby was there and no real QB to throw it to him and he still put up very good numbers in production.

BTW, Scouts Inc. needs to update their data base ... in that evaluation he mentions Roby needing to close strong as a Senior, so this was clearly written when most scouts had Roby tagged as a middle round pick {but I argued otherwise}

You look at the draft sites now and nearly everyone has Roby tagged in RD 2 ... it's about time Scouts Inc. reflects his rise to prominence and the reasons why he has risen

And as far as Coleman, i remember as if it was yesterday on last years draft thread the Ham HATED the pick. It wasn't until after that he warmed up to Coleman!!

I think I said it was Jetses who cued me in on Coleman? :-k

Actually I was the one that posted the info on Coleman from his College days when the Coach called

him Eric the Great!! :lol:

Archived