Ratings come to sat. radio

joebabyny

Arbitron released spring 07 ratings for both sirius and xm. For those that don't know, arbitron is the independent company that does ratings for radio broadcasting, like nielson does for tv. The difference in total listening between xm and sirius makes sense because i think xm stil has 36% more subscribers.

The funny thing about the stats mentioned in this article is that it says Howard 100 gets 5 times more listeners then O&A, but that doesn't take into account howard 101 which runs a 3 hour west coast delay of the show, which gets twice as many listeners as the O&A channel. These are the basic numbers, I heard that the numbers broken down for morning drive are even more skewed.

Arbitron ratings for Satellite Radio

comments.gif62 comments

weblogs.gif Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

categories.gif Tags: Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, Ratings, Satellite Radio, Sirius, XM Arbitron has released the Spring 2007 ratings for both XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio.

The report breaks out each service's channel by channel data of both cume (short for "cumulative audience" - essentially the unduplicated persons or households listening during a specific period) and AQH (Average Quarter Hour - the average number of persons listening to a station for at least five minutes during a 15-minute period).

XM led significantly with a cume of 10.33 million listeners versus the 6.6 million listeners at Sirius.

But Howard Stern owned the top spot as the most-listened to satellite radio channel with over five times as many listeners as Opie & Anthony:

• Sirius' Howard 100t.gif (ch 100) had a cume of 1.22 million listeners and an AQH of 96,700
  • XM's The Virust.gif (ch 202) had a cume of 216,800 listeners and an AQH of 20,800

While Howard 100 was the #1 most listened to satellite radio channel, XM's Top 20 on 20t.gif (ch 20) ranked as #2, with 1.05 million cume listeners and an AQH of 21,800 listeners.

XM's listening is more evenly distributed, while Sirius is more Howard Stern-biased (Howard 101 even had a cume of 502,000 and AQH of 30,700).

Check out the full Arbitron ratings report heret.gif (PDF).

Arbitron released spring 07 ratings for both sirius and xm. For those that don't know, arbitron is the independent company that does ratings for radio broadcasting, like nielson does for tv. The difference in total listening between xm and sirius makes sense because i think xm stil has 36% more subscribers.

The funny thing about the stats mentioned in this article is that it says Howard 100 gets 5 times more listeners then O&A, but that doesn't take into account howard 101 which runs a 3 hour west coast delay of the show, which gets twice as many listeners as the O&A channel. These are the basic numbers, I heard that the numbers broken down for morning drive are even more skewed.

Arbitron ratings for Satellite Radio

comments.gif62 comments

weblogs.gif Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

categories.gif Tags: Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, Ratings, Satellite Radio, Sirius, XM Arbitron has released the Spring 2007 ratings for both XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio.

The report breaks out each service's channel by channel data of both cume (short for "cumulative audience" - essentially the unduplicated persons or households listening during a specific period) and AQH (Average Quarter Hour - the average number of persons listening to a station for at least five minutes during a 15-minute period).

XM led significantly with a cume of 10.33 million listeners versus the 6.6 million listeners at Sirius.

But Howard Stern owned the top spot as the most-listened to satellite radio channel with over five times as many listeners as Opie & Anthony:

• Sirius' Howard 100t.gif (ch 100) had a cume of 1.22 million listeners and an AQH of 96,700
  • XM's The Virust.gif (ch 202) had a cume of 216,800 listeners and an AQH of 20,800

While Howard 100 was the #1 most listened to satellite radio channel, XM's Top 20 on 20t.gif (ch 20) ranked as #2, with 1.05 million cume listeners and an AQH of 21,800 listeners.

XM's listening is more evenly distributed, while Sirius is more Howard Stern-biased (Howard 101 even had a cume of 502,000 and AQH of 30,700).

Check out the full Arbitron ratings report heret.gif (PDF).

This is no surprise at all. Even with Sterns additional feeds the only thing you have to look at is the number of listeners that purchased their satellite radio within a year of Howard going to Sirius as opposed to the "increase" in XM sales when they got O&A. There's a reason XM was willing to merge after dominating the satellite radio scene before Howard joined Sirius.

This is no surprise at all. Even with Sterns additional feeds the only thing you have to look at is the number of listeners that purchased their satellite radio within a year of Howard going to Sirius as opposed to the "increase" in XM sales when they got O&A. There's a reason XM was willing to merge after dominating the satellite radio scene before Howard joined Sirius.

What i find crazy is i am now hearing car commercials where they are giving away 3 YEARS of xm free, 3 years is the life of a car on lease, so you lease a car and never have to pay for xm. I guess that is one way you can use to create more subscribers.

"spring" is a very generic time period.... does this period include the time o&a were suspended for 30 days with no mention or promotion during this time?

plus, I dont ever believe any ratings for satellite. Both companies lie (like counting subscribers in cars that havent been sold yet...)

and people are never honest when it comes to surveys. Heck, when xm had me fill out a survey online a few weeks ago, I said i spent most of my time listening o&a and MLB.

But, if Stern has more listeners than O&A, good for him. He is a bigger name. He did have and may still have a larger following. But his success doesnt affect my enjoyment of o&a.

What i find crazy is i am now hearing car commercials where they are giving away 3 YEARS of xm free, 3 years is the life of a car on lease, so you lease a car and never have to pay for xm. I guess that is one way you can use to create more subscribers.

it is an incentive from the car company who pays XM, XM is not giving it away for free...

Yeah what the other poster said... XM is getting their money...

"spring" is a very generic time period.... does this period include the time o&a were suspended for 30 days with no mention or promotion during this time?

Arbitron's spring 07 period was 4/5-6/27, yes it is during the time they were suspended on may 16. But they still were broadcasting in that time slot, just not new live shows, and with 5 times more listeners on howard 100 and 2 times more listeners on howard 101 it just wouldn't matter even if there were no suspension. Besides, did being suspended help their ratings when they came back? I would think it would, they were all over the news for it.

plus, I dont ever believe any ratings for satellite. Both companies lie (like counting subscribers in cars that havent been sold yet...)

Well, these ratings were done by arbitron, which is an independent rating company for the radio broadcast industry. There is no reason to not believe them as they are the same as nielson ratings for TV. I do believe the arbitron numbers are WAY different then the survay numbers xm put together on their own, but of course as you mention, the companies can put out some shady numbers themselves. The ratings i quoted in this article are legit.

and people are never honest when it comes to surveys. Heck, when xm had me fill out a survey online a few weeks ago, I said i spent most of my time listening o&a and MLB.

This may or may not be true, but if it is, it doesn't matter because it would still mean there are way more Howard Stern fan listeners then O&A if everyone just lied and wrote in who they were a fan of.

But, if Stern has more listeners than O&A, good for him. He is a bigger name. He did have and may still have a larger following. But his success doesnt affect my enjoyment of o&a.

In the end everyone should only care about who they personally enjoy, ratings shouldn't matter to you, just who you enjoy listening to, like you said. These numbers are just concrete proof against those who like to argue who does better.

I personally have 3 Sirius radios, and I'm about to add a 4th . Why ? My original reason to get it was because Howard made the switch. Now that I've had satellite radio for almost 2 years, I can't live without it. I can't wait for the merger, because I want to have my MLB games on the radio too. Worth every penny if you ask me.

I personally have 3 Sirius radios, and I'm about to add a 4th . Why ? My original reason to get it was because Howard made the switch. Now that I've had satellite radio for almost 2 years, I can't live without it. I can't wait for the merger, because I want to have my MLB games on the radio too. Worth every penny if you ask me.

yeah, my car has sirius, but for the last 2 years i had been driving two other cars switching on a daily basis, one had xm and one had sirius, so i am pretty familiar with both, more then most people i would say.

Subjectively, my opinion is sirius has better music, better broadcasters/dj's across the board and better talk radio. The one thing i really miss that is not on sirius is fox sports, they had some great guys on there, but the sirius nfl network makes up for it.

Howard 100 and 101 is great and has some funny and entertaining stuff even beyond the stern show but related to the stern universe. The nfl network is awesome, especially during the offseason when you can't get any nfl news on the other sports stations. Backspin 43 is cool for 90's hip hop, Hair Nation 23 is great for 80-90's rock, First Wave 22 is cool for old new wave type stuff, shade 45 is the bomb because i have been on there like 8 times and they are cool with me, and Faction 28 is interesting with all the x games-type people on there and the mix of music.

Arbitron's spring 07 period was 4/5-6/27, yes it is during the time they were suspended on may 16. But they still were broadcasting in that time slot, just not new live shows, and with 5 times more listeners on howard 100 and 2 times more listeners on howard 101 it just wouldn't matter even if there were no suspension. Besides, did being suspended help their ratings when they came back? I would think it would, they were all over the news for it.

Well, these ratings were done by arbitron, which is an independent rating company for the radio broadcast industry. There is no reason to not believe them as they are the same as nielson ratings for TV. I do believe the arbitron numbers are WAY different then the survay numbers xm put together on their own, but of course as you mention, the companies can put out some shady numbers themselves. The ratings i quoted in this article are legit.

This may or may not be true, but if it is, it doesn't matter because it would still mean there are way more Howard Stern fan listeners then O&A if everyone just lied and wrote in who they were a fan of.

In the end everyone should only care about who they personally enjoy, ratings shouldn't matter to you, just who you enjoy listening to, like you said. These numbers are just concrete proof against those who like to argue who does better.

My point is they were suspended and not broadcasting live shows everyday. I will wait until I see the ratings for when they are on for a 3 month period. Missing from 5/15-6/15 without new shows, I didnt listen to the station. I just listened to music, Ron & Fez, & MLB.

Will the ratings show anything different? I doubt it. But there should be no built in reasons why their ratings suck. As long as they have CBS they will still have that excuse.

I dont trust arbitron ratings at all. Believing someone who writes down in a diary what they listen to is bullsh!t. I like the new PPM, but I dont know if they used diaries or PPM for this ratings book. I'm not questioning your numbers, just saying I dont believe in their method or results. Plus, you would need to add CBS numbers to their xm to see how many listeners, or exclude the 6-9am numbers and use the 9-11 xm numbers only.

And yeah, I do agree. Listen to what you want to listen to. Enjoy what you enjoy. Im one o&a fan who doesnt give a crap what any other radio host is doing. Personally, I wish they were xm only. I enjoy it better. I'll never battle you or anyone why howie's better or o&a is better... its a waste of f*cking time. I just fear if this merger goes through and howie uses his muscle to get rid of o&a.

If I didn't live in an area where I can get the Red Sox on FM, then I'd probably get an XM subscription on top of my sirius one. But I don't think I'll ever get rid of Sirius. Between Stern, Jim Breuer, Radio 1, and the World Soccer Daily and Football show on 125, I'm all set. Area 33 is pretty kick ass, also.

supposedly the breakout numbers per show and per time slot are even crazier, they were talking about them this morning but not anymore since the numbers have not been released to the public yet, but supposedly, one howard 4 hour show ON ONE DAY typically gets more ratings then EVERY OTHER SHOW ON BOTH sirius and xm COMBINED FOR A WEEK. Howard in morning shift gets more then the ratings of everything else for a week at that slot. And also, supposedly Bubba the Love Sponge is the #2 show on both sirius and xm, after howard. I say supposedly because i can not verify the numbers myself right now, but they should be released at some point.

sad thing is that satellite radio isnt any bigger... and the most popular stations (outside of howard/ o&a) are the ones who play mainstream music.

I am shocked at how many listeners (based on arbitron survey linked above) listen to Howard and not the other stations. XM's is a little more spread out.

I never thought either show would dominate their service.

sad thing is that satellite radio isnt any bigger... and the most popular stations (outside of howard/ o&a) are the ones who play mainstream music.

I am shocked at how many listeners (based on arbitron survey linked above) listen to Howard and not the other stations. XM's is a little more spread out.

I never thought either show would dominate their service.

it actually makes perfect sense for a few reasons,

1 most cars over the last 3 years or so that have had sat receivers have been xm radios, meaning people just got the service without neccisarily wanting or caring about it.

2 sirius gets way more subscribers then xm on aftermarket sales, the people who specifically want sat radio in their car. And the vast majority of those people who are going out and buying sirius radios want it for howard.

So you have a ton of sirius subscribers who wanted to listen to howard and even those who bought it for other reasons are happy to listen to him in the am, and you have a majority of xm people who didn't really care about it much but just got it because it was in the car.

I would say that 70% or more of Sirius subscribers are there for Howard. That's why he gets that kind of ratings , compared to anything else. I have listened to XM quite a bit. I like their " XM Chill" channel. If I'm not listening to Stern, I have backspin 43 on.

thats scary.... what will happen to them when howard has had enough??

thats scary.... what will happen to them when howard has had enough??

I would say 50% will drop off. I don't think I would. I have gotten a taste of it, and I like the choice in music. If/when he retires, there will be big shoes to fill. Love him or hate him, he is the best entertainer on the radio. I remember when he was on WNBC in NY. His highest ratings came from people that said they hated him.

I would say 50% will drop off. I don't think I would. I have gotten a taste of it, and I like the choice in music. If/when he retires, there will be big shoes to fill. Love him or hate him, he is the best entertainer on the radio. I remember when he was on WNBC in NY. His highest ratings came from people that said they hated him.

if they do lose that many subscribers, they will be dead in the water... even with a merger...

I love my satellite radio... when I was without it for 3 weeks (after crashing into a deer... ugh.) I was totally and completely lost. i hate regular radio. I hate their commercials. I hate their predictable music. Probably the only thing that pisses me off about satellite is the commercials on O&A... but other than that, I love it and dont mind paying for it. I drive a lot for work and I cant even make it through all the channels in one day...

And everyone I have introduced to satellite they have loved it. Plus I can usually get them a free radio with all the deals they have now...

You have to remember, that satellite radio competes with so many form of entertainment available in your vehicle. I have an Alpine unit in my car that plays movies, my ipod, navigation, regular radio/cd's and Sirius . Not to mention the nw HD radio. There is a huge market out there of people looking for your business while you're in your car. I even pay 60 bucks a year for NavTrak traffic updates on my Alpine. One more thing to consider, is that many folks still think it's wrong to pay for radio. They are used to having it for free. Same happend with cable TV back in the WHT and HBO days.

You have to remember, that satellite radio competes with so many form of entertainment available in your vehicle. I have an Alpine unit in my car that plays movies, my ipod, navigation, regular radio/cd's and Sirius . Not to mention the nw HD radio. There is a huge market out there of people looking for your business while you're in your car. I even pay 60 bucks a year for NavTrak traffic updates on my Alpine. One more thing to consider, is that many folks still think it's wrong to pay for radio. They are used to having it for free. Same happend with cable TV back in the WHT and HBO days.

there is one good thing about being single and the only one using my car... I dont need more than xm.... And xm has kept me from getting an ipod. Its just not worth it since I can listen to my xm in my house...

I wish more people realized how cheap it really is... 12 bucks a month. i spend more on sh!t i dont need... and no commercial breaks every 10 minutes.

Archived