interesting point by the ahole Lupica

Matt39

We keep hearing how "random" the playoffs are. Hear it about the outgoing manager especially. Well, somebody down in Tampa asked this question to Joe Torre the other day, and it was a pretty good one if you ask me: How come we never heard about how random things were in the playoffs until the Yankees stopped winning them?

The Red Sox are in the same random, crapshoot playoffs and have now gotten off the deck and come back from 3-0 down and 3-1 down in the last four years, and which of A-Rod's Yankee teams do you think were capable of that? The Red Sox were able to do this because their biggest stars - David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez - stepped up to the plate in all ways.

And right in the crazy happy scene at Fenway Park when the Red Sox won a pennant Yankee fans still think should have belonged to them was a kid who looked like a bat boy. His name is Dustin Pedroia and he plays second base for the Red Sox. In two innings of Game 7 and two at-bats against the Indians, he knocked in more postseason runs for his team than Alex Rodriguez has in three years for the Yankees.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have said many times here that the playoffs are usually not about a "randomness".

The best TEAM usually wins. Not the team with the best players.

A baseball TEAM is one that meshes well within its roles and fits together. There is an order to things. That defines a team.

Haphazardly putting together OPS, VORP and OBP with WHIP and other stats is for the geeks. And they are always quick to tell you after the team with the best "geek stats' fails, that the playoffs are a "crapshoot".

Just look at the Yankkes with recent successes (WS wins) and failures (WS losses). It is obvious what differentiates those teams. And it is not "randomness".

It does not work all of the time, but the majority of the time the best TEAM wins.

I have said many times here that the playoffs are usually not about a "randomness".

A baseball TEAM is one that meshes well within its roles and fits together. There is an order to things. That defines a team.

Haphazardly putting together OPS, VORP and OBP with WHIP and other stats is for the geeks. And they are always quick to tell you after the team with the best "geek stats' fails, that the playoffs are a "crapshoot".

Just look at the Yankkes with recent successes (WS wins) and failures (WS losses). It is obvious what differentiates those teams. And it is not "randomness".

It does not work all of the time, but the majority of the time the best TEAM wins.

On point...

His name is Dustin Pedroia and he plays second base for the Red Sox. In two innings of Game 7 and two at-bats against the Indians, he knocked in more postseason runs for his team than Alex Rodriguez has in three years for the Yankees.

And he and his agent have the nerve to ask for $30 million a year?

Mike Lupica has always been a Yankee-hater. He couldn't find his ass with both hands.

And at the same time Lupica is bashing the Yanks left and right about firing Torre. Would be nice if this POS evil gnome could make up his sissy mind. Either way, did he go to any games this year?

When Keith Hernandez and George Steinbrenner both think your a complete a-hole, is there any doubt?

Your team would gladly give it to him. Look at how much they gave an average japanese pitcher. That being said, Mike Lupica can eat a fat kawk.

They gave that Japanese pitcher $9 million a year.

The more I think about it, I'd rather keep Lowell.

Are you talking about Kei Igawa and his 5 year, $20 million contract?

20 million is a drop in the bucket when you give an average pitcher 50 million just to share a meal with him. I wonder if that includes the interpreter, or is that extra ? Not to mention the actual contract you handed him. Clemens in 07 and Igawa, and even Irabu don't add up to that disaster .

if the best team won then the Tigers would've won last year. its all about clicking at the right time.

Absolutely correct. Look at the Rockies. They got hot when it counted and parleyed that into the playoffs then a WS berth. That being said it's usually your big hitters who come up big at crunch time and lead the team by example. Something ARod knows nothing about.

20 million is a drop in the bucket when you give an average pitcher 50 million just to share a meal with him. I wonder if that includes the interpreter, or is that extra ? Not to mention the actual contract you handed him. Clemens in 07 and Igawa, and even Irabu don't add up to that disaster .

Remember last year, when everyone was laughing that the Sox gave up the Rookie of the Year at SS for an 'average pitcher'?

How did that work out?

Let's give Dice-K another season before disparaging him.

POTW nominee

In two innings of Game 7 and two at-bats against the Indians, he knocked in more postseason runs for his team than Alex Rodriguez has in three years for the Yankees.

but pay rod still needs more money? that dude will never win a series, but he sure is good at making the playoffs.

:rl:

but pay rod still needs more money? that dude will never win a series, but he sure is good at making the playoffs.

:rl:

Carry this drivel to it's logical conclusion. Yeah, let's see any GM trade A-rod for Pedroia. David Eckstein too. Or Eric Byrnes. Yes, who ever the hard-nosed, throwback white guy is today is better by miles than Alex Rodriguez. A team full of hard-nosed throwback little white guys would beat a team of A-rods, right?

Is there a carbon monoxide leak in Lupica's Connecticut mansion(Lupica hasn't darkened a stadium or arena doorway spare the US Open in years) or something?

You're kidding right?

Dice is pitching at least and is 26. Pavano and Igawa weren't even mediocre for the Yanks.

You saw what you got from Roger right? You wanna justify that contract and tell me he fired up the clubhouse ....than explain what the Captain is there for?

Which greatly baffles Mike, when the geeks don't have a way to quantify for Mike to look at something.

His claim is that Justin Pedroia is superior ballplayer to Alex Rodriguez. Which over 1 game, one at bat, or even one series might hold true. But as an objective statement, it is preposterously stupid.

It's like taking Sean Avery over Sid Crosby, David Lee over Lebron James, Wayne Chrebet over Randy Moss, David Eckstein over Derek Jeter. For a game, or even 2 or 3, the lesser player, the proverbial gritty underdog, might outplay the superstar. But it's not going to hold over the long run,not even close. And for someone to write something so absurd and present it like gospel fact is an embarrassing joke.

His claim is that Justin Pedroia is superior ballplayer to Alex Rodriguez. Which over 1 game, one at bat, or even one series might hold true. But as an objective statement, it is preposterously stupid.

It's like taking Sean Avery over Sid Crosby, David Lee over Lebron James, Wayne Chrebet over Randy Moss, David Eckstein over Derek Jeter. For a game, or even 2 or 3, the lesser player, the proverbial gritty underdog, might outplay the superstar. But it's not going to hold over the long run,not even close. And for someone to write something so absurd and present it like gospel fact is an embarrassing joke.

good post

Lupica never claimed Pedroia was a better player than Arod. He just used him as an example to show how poor Arod has been in the postseason.

The guy has been an absolute dog for the Yanks come October. This sint just an example of a small sample size, its a reoccuring theme.

I didn't take that out of it at all. I don't think that he was trying to be literal.

Lupica deals in a world of hyperbole. He is the king of it.

Listen, A-Rod is in a tough spot, and it is one that he has earned himself. The top paid athlete of any sport, or the newest, highest contract will alwayd bear the most scrutiny.

That scrutiny usually comes in the form of "What did all this money buy the team"? It is a logical and fair question.

With A-Rod now in a position to "cash-in" again, that scrutiny will come under an even bigger microscope.

When you are the highest paid player, the resulting expectations are championships. Whether that is fair or not, the expectatations are there. When the highest paid player in the sport goes to the New York Yankees-Well those expectations go through the roof. You can't hold them back.

It is just the way the sporting world works, and writers will seize upon that every opportunity they have.

Yeah start Betemit....start Kellen!!!

This notion that the Yankees will collapse without Arod is ridiculous. Arod isnt the Yankees.

If Arod wants to come back, I'll be happy to embrace him. If he doesnt then it wouldnt bother me either.

Arod is defintely annoyed that the Yankees and the Yankee fans arent begging him to come back.

There wont be any Arod rallies in Time Square for him, thats for sure.

This notion that the Yankees will collapse without Arod is ridiculous. Arod isnt the Yankees.

If Arod wants to come back, I'll be happy to embrace him. If he doesnt then it wouldnt bother me either.

Arod is defintely annoyed that the Yankees and the Yankee fans arent begging him to come back.

There wont be any Arod rallies in Time Square for him, thats for sure.

Listen for the final time.......ARod>Jeter and it's not even open for debate.

Yank fans, like many Jets fans always need a goat. Go look up Willie Mays post season stats.... Yanks don't sniff the play-offs without ARod this year.

Yanks like Pats fans are spoiled by a run that has been over for a while now.

Archived