Report: Jets' Vilma may be lost for season

Greenbaumenom

The New York Daily News reports ILB Jonathan Vilma may be in danger of missing the rest of the season due to a "significant" knee injury.

In an odd situation between Vilma and Eric Mangini, the coach has said his star inside linebacker is hurt, while Vilma himself denies he's injured at all. Vilma only rotated in during the second half of New York's Week 7 loss. He may have been playing through a torn or partially torn ligament in the knee. David Harris will join the starting linuep while Vilma is out. Oct. 24 - 6:53 pm et

Source: New York Daily News

Just when we thought it couldnt get worse.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is funny. First it was a sprain and then as soon as Vilma questioned Mangini it turned into a season ending knee ligament tear. Same basic thing happened to Baker, his back suddenly became serious. I still think Justin Miller has no injury. I don't understand why Chadwick has no injury, it sure looks like his arm is injured to me.

When i listened to Vilma's interview yestersday, what i got out of it (from reading between the lines of what he said) was that when he was taken out of the game it was a coaching decision, and he hadnt been injured "at that time."

He may have gotten injured later in the game (if he really is injured, because it's hard to know what to believe that comes out of jets HQ anymore).

This is just weird. He denies being injured, sort of makes Mangini look like a liar, and then a couple days later he could be "Out for the Year" even though there are no real reports that says he's injured.

I don't know what the truth is here. Maybe he is injured ,but why does it feel like something is missing in this story.

I still don't understand why we are running a 3-4, he is our best defensive player, why change to 3-4? Everyone was better in the 4-3, and we were starting to look like a defense. Blah, what could we get for him, a 2nd rounder? Why not move him to OLB.

Oh please stop with this 4-3 crap. When we had a 4-3 we had John friggin Abraham!!! Of course our D then is going to look better than now. In 2004, the last time we had a good D,we had J-Ferguson. He made Vilma look a helluva lot better than he really is.

We do play a lot of different schemes including the 4-3 and I can assure you we look no better than with a 3-4.

As for the OLB suggestion, dont make me laugh. More like a safety!!!:roll:

Oh please stop with this 4-3 crap. When we had a 4-3 we had John friggin Abraham!!! Of course our D then is going to look better than now. In 2004, the last time we had a good D,we had J-Ferguson. He made Vilma look a helluva lot better than he really is.

We do play a lot of different schemes including the 4-3 and I can assure you we look no better than with a 3-4.

Couldn't you just see him trying to do something this Sunday with Jason Peters - all 340 lbs of him - running straight at him on a sweep, before flicking him out of bounds with his pinkie finger? lol.

Lies, pure lies. JAbe never played for us, he only occasionally made cameo appearances.

I still don't understand why we are running a 3-4, he is our best defensive player, why change to 3-4? Everyone was better in the 4-3, and we were starting to look like a defense. Blah, what could we get for him, a 2nd rounder? Why not move him to OLB?

Vilma is 6'1 and weighs 220. . A prototypical 3-4 OLB is 6-5 and in the 245-270 range.

Wasnt Vilma out and Harris in during the second half when the bengals had three 70+ yard drives for TDs?

He came out and our run defense was still terrible...it's the weak DL, the scheme and defensive playcalling. Thank you mangini/sutton.

Vilma is 6'1 and weighs 220. . A prototypical 3-4 OLB is 6-5 and in the 245-270 range.

A prototypical NT is typically 320-350 lbs yet we got DRob, so we might as well see what Vilma can do on the outside. At this point playing him in the middle doesn't work. Vilma might be fast enough to get to the QB and give us a pass rush on the outside, it couldn't hurt. Well actually now it doesn't matter since he's done for the season.

I still think Mangini is lying though. He is dastardly I tells ya.

Couldn't you just see him trying to do something this Sunday with Jason Peters - all 340 lbs of him - running straight at him on a sweep, before flicking him out of bounds with his pinkie finger? lol.

I've seen a lot of pathetic things happen Vilma, Im not even suprised anymore.The guys just too small!!!

HOW could any of you call yourself Jets fans? Wanting to trade our best defensive player and best draft pick in a long time.

This season ranks among the worst.

Jonathan Vilma deserves a better team and a better coach anyway!

If he's our best defensive player we're in trouble. He literally gets thrown around.

So is D-Rob and the entire OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE line.

Vilma has always given 110% and this is the thanks he gets.Amateur wannabes mocking his size and his ability to play the game.

LOSING BRINGS OUT THE WORST IN EVERYONE!

I've noticed that, too.

So is D-Rob and the entire OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE line.

Vilma has always given 110% and this is the thanks he gets.Amateur wannabes mocking his size and his ability to play the game.

LOSING BRINGS OUT THE WORST IN EVERYONE!

If Vilma does play again for the jets and your watching the game. Just focus on him, watch what happens when he get blocked. The result, he is out of the play. The guy is not physically able to play on this D. I am ****ing sick to death of all these crappy undersized LB'ers and lineman and then you look at the NE Patriots, who are F'ING HUGE up front. Yet we wonder why they dominate us in every way.

Were like the little nerds in school who get bullied around every day. Thats what werelike in there WE GET F'ING BULLIED, its a f'ing joke, its beyond a joke. I am sick of this crappy defence and am sick of these crap players. We need to re-build NOW!!!

I still don't understand why we are running a 3-4, he is our best defensive player, why change to 3-4? Everyone was better in the 4-3, and we were starting to look like a defense. Blah, what could we get for him, a 2nd rounder? Why not move him to OLB?

Don Lagreca and Buttle on the postgame noted they ran almost 50/50 split between 3 and 4 man fronts.Watching the last 2 games seems to verify that. Problem isn't the scheme as much as players not doing the job.

What trade value did Vilma have, exactly?

Archived