Report: Jets' Vilma may be lost for season

Greenbaumenom

Vilma sucks so this is good news. We will finally get to see David Harris play and maybe have an ILB who doesn't get shoved and dragged around like a bitch by small RBs.

Harris has been playing a lot all season- what do you mean "we will finally get to see David Harris play"? That makes zero sense. He has seen a LOT of action.

In fact, harris played the second half when the bengals had three long TD drives and the jets couldnt get them off the field. Some no name had a career rushing day, and he had more of his yards in the second half when Harris was in. IIRC the bengals had 10 pts at halftime.

I dont know what some of you are smoking, but it must be some strong sh1t.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vilma only sucks because we are losing and hes hurt.

Defensive Rookie of the Year as a New York Jet so how bad does he suck?

Vilma would be a monster in 4-3 with a line in front of him and not a pathetic excuse for one.

Vilma isn't a monster in the 4-3. Did you ever watch him play? Have you ever seen him tackle someone and not get dragged an extra two yards? He can't stop anybody and is too small. I have issues with LBs who get dragged around for extra yards every time they try to tackle somebody.

A prototypical NT is typically 320-350 lbs yet we got DRob, so we might as well see what Vilma can do on the outside. At this point playing him in the middle doesn't work. Vilma might be fast enough to get to the QB and give us a pass rush on the outside, it couldn't hurt.

I thought the same until I realized one thing - what happens when the opposing team runs a pulling guard/center/both to Vilma's side of the field if he is an OLB? It will not be pretty, that much I know. :) That said, I hope JV is OK.

Harris has been playing a lot all season- what do you mean "we will finally get to see David Harris play"? That makes zero sense. He has seen a LOT of action.

In fact, harris played the second half when the bengals had three long TD drives and the jets couldnt get them off the field. Some no name had a career rushing day, and he had more of his yards in the second half when Harris was in. IIRC the bengals had 10 pts at halftime.

I just checked and harris is credited with playing in all 7 games, and has 25 tackles, including 15 solo. But yeah we will finally get a chance to see him play.

I am not a fan of JV, but I don't wish anyone to be injured. I hope he is OK soon.

That said, I don't see how we will miss him much on the field. Does anyone remeber when Marvin Jones would meet a ball carrier in the hole, there would be a loud BANG, and the RB would be on his back in the backfield? I miss those days.

both played in the 2nd half. they were in together on a few plays. the entire defense is to blame.

I wish i had a good copy of the game to see what LB were in the game in the 2nd half.

JV is the QB of the defense - Kerry Rhodes is going to have to take on the task of getting everyone lined up now on his own. I hope he is up for it.

The QB of the defense is such total BS. It's not that hard of a job and I'm pretty sure anybody playing on that D can do it.

In the 3-4 yes without a NT or a line in front of him.

It's true that the the line is the main problem. That is no excuse for Vilma not taking on blockers and getting blown up all the time. At least Harris hits people and takes the fight to the blockers. Vilma either tries to avoid the blocker or gets run over. And thats not even touching Marshawn Lynch making him look silly in space against Buffalo.

both played in the 2nd half. they were in together on a few plays. the entire defense is to blame.

I wish i had a good copy of the game to see what LB were in the game in the 2nd half.

They've played together a lot since the third game. It's ridiculous to say we havent seen harris play. I usually notice when he is in, and he's done okay. he's blown some coverages, and gotten shut down by OL, too.

I watch who is in as much as i can, and i see the different combos they have used. But Harris got a lot of PT in the second half when Vilma was pulled and barton was back in. Harris has mostly been coming in for barton, who has also been less effective this year.

Of course it's the entire defense' fault, right up to the DC.

The DL was demolished by the Bengals almost every play. The only guy who (surprisingly) had his number called a couple of times was Hicks.

The # of sacks the OLBs have this season is embarrassing. The entire unit has been dysfunctional a good part of the time, which is why i put a lot of blame on Sutton, who is calling the defensive signals and failing to make any significant halftime adjustments.

Last time we played buffalo, their rookie QB had all day to pick apart the jets defense, just as every QB has this season.

Kenny freakin Watson or watkins had a career day against the entire defense, not just one or two guys. Some of these off the wall posts make my eyes bleed.

Vilma should not be considered "a problem". He has a pretty good thing going the past 2 seasons. I would say that they 800 other things that are wrong with this defense are more of an issue than anything named Vilma.

I hope he is okay though. Petty Mangini\Vilma feud aside, I hope he stays on the field.

The QB of the defense is such total BS. It's not that hard of a job and I'm pretty sure anybody playing on that D can do it.

I think you may be under-valuing the importance of having a guy on the field that knows where everyone is supposed to be while reading the offense and calling audibles. Not as easy as you would think...

They've played together a lot since the third game. It's ridiculous to say we havent seen harris play. I usually notice when he is in, and he's done okay. he's blown some coverages, and gotten shut down by OL, too.

I watch who is in as much as i can, and i see the different combos they have used. But Harris got a lot of PT in the second half when Vilma was pulled and barton was back in. Harris has mostly been coming in for barton, who has also been less effective this year.

Of course it's the entire defense' fault, right up to the DC.

The DL was demolished by the Bengals almost every play. The only guy who (surprisingly) had his number called a couple of times was Hicks.

The # of sacks the OLBs have this season is embarrassing. The entire unit has been dysfunctional a good part of the time, which is why i put a lot of blame on Sutton, who is calling the defensive signals and failing to make any significant halftime adjustments.

Last time we played buffalo, their rookie QB had all day to pick apart the jets defense, just as every QB has this season.

Kenny freakin Watson or watkins had a career day against the entire defense, not just one or two guys. Some of these off the wall posts make my eyes bleed.

exactly... good points... we have seen a lot of harris and he has done NOTHING! I too blame Sutton and Mangini since he is supposedly a defensive guy. How do you not gameplan around the strengths of your players?? This is exactly what Belichick did when he was here with Parcells. We had some mediocre players (*cough... Otis Smith *) and yet it never seemed he was put in a position to fail.

Without a good DL, our LB's cant do their job well. And they arent...

HOW could any of you call yourself Jets fans? Wanting to trade our best defensive player and best draft pick in a long time.

This season ranks among the worst.

Jonathan Vilma deserves a better team and a better coach anyway!

If "our best player" is a 220 pound linebacker that got absolutely flattened by Brian Westbrook two weeks ago, this team is in more trouble than the 1-6 record indicates.

If "our best player" is a 220 pound linebacker that got absolutely flattened by Brian Westbrook two weeks ago, this team is in more trouble than the 1-6 record indicates.

Hell yeah they're in trouble, starting with the DC.

How many players on the D have stepped up and played well this season? Name them.

And in case you missed it, though Vilma got the worst of the collision on that play, it was DAVID HARRIS side of the field, and he got buried under the blockers, and Vilma came from across the field to knock the guy out of bounds.

But I know some of you just remember the end of the play and dont remember or ever saw how it developed. It's the "you got jacked up" mentality.

How many players on the D have stepped up and played well this season? Name them.

And in case you missed it, though Vilma got the worst of the collision on that play, it was DAVID HARRIS side of the field, and he got buried under the blockers, and Vilma came from across the field to knock the guy out of bounds.

But I know some of you just remember the end of the play and dont remember or ever saw how it developed. It's the "you got jacked up" mentality.

No, it's the "our 'star' linebacker just got ****ing squashed by a 5 foot 8, 195 pound running back" mentality.

The entire defense sucks, and I completely agree with you: that is 100% on Mangini. But no one is going to tell me that Vilma is an indispensable pillar of our defense, because he isn't. No one is. They all suck.

No, it's the "our 'star' linebacker just got ****ing squashed by a 5 foot 8, 195 pound running back" mentality.

The entire defense sucks, and I completely agree with you: that is 100% on Mangini. But no one is going to tell me that Vilma is an indispensable pillar of our defense, because he isn't. No one is. They all suck.

No one is indispensable, and you still havent acknoledged that Harris was buried on the play and the LB who got bounced actually made the tackle that NO ONE ELSE on the team made. Where were all the other guys on that play? Vilma came from across the field to knock him oob. To focus on him getting bounced on the tackle is pathetic. He made the frickin play and you are crying about losing style points.

player hater

well i watched the games too and from what I saw from the Pats game on is that no one is beating anyone in a one-on-one. I have yet to see BT, Coleman, Ellis, DRob beat their guy on a one-on-one in passing situation and get to the QB. not to mention VHob and Vilma in a blitz getting picked up by the back.

the game is 11- 11 and good football teams have guys on defense that can at least once in a while beat the one-on-one and make a play.

Not that im defending the DC but it seems to me its just a little too easy to blame him

No one is indispensable, and you still havent acknoledged that Harris was buried on the play and the LB who got bounced actually made the tackle that NO ONE ELSE on the team made. Where were all the other guys on that play? Vilma came from across the field to knock him oob. To focus on him getting bounced on the tackle is pathetic. He made the frickin play and you are crying about losing style points.

player hater

You are missing my point.

Could you see Westbrook lighting up Ray Lewis like that? How about Darren Sproles pancaking Brian Urlacher? Devin Hester knocking Keith Bullock into next week?

Yes, Vilma made the play, but that play also illustrates why Vilma will never, ever be more than a complentary player: he is too weak. No one is going to avoid going right after him because they know he is weak. No tight end going over the middle is shaking in his boots because he is anticipating getting plastered by Jon Vilma. No one fears Vilma, nor should they.

You are missing my point.

Could you see Westbrook lighting up Ray Lewis like that? How about Darren Sproles pancaking Brian Urlacher? Devin Hester knocking Keith Bullock into next week?

Yes, Vilma made the play, but that play also illustrates why Vilma will never, ever be more than a complentary player: he is too weak. No one is going to avoid going right after him because they know he is weak. No tight end going over the middle is shaking in his boots because he is anticipating getting plastered by Jon Vilma. No one fears Vilma, nor should they.

Are you talking about Johnathan Vilma that plays for the New York Jets ?

Come on man, that boy can hit.

Vilma is 6'1 and weighs 220. . A prototypical 3-4 OLB is 6-5 and in the 245-270 range.

Exactly. That's been his problem right along with us. He's NOT a 3/4 linebacker. I'm looking foward Sunday to see what Harris can do as the starter.

This could be great and this also could be bad, and I never thought I'd have a great way of looking at a Jonathan Vilma injury.

How it would be great:

David Harris steps in and plays BETTER than Vilma and shows promise, making it easier for the Jets to trade Vilma in the offseason for a player or 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

How it would be bad:

He has a knee injury which is never good and that could reduce his trade value.

Well, now we will see what happens with a 3-4 MLB in there.

without a real NT protecting him, ANY linebacker would look shabby! RAY LEWIS did too when his big widebodies retired ( Siragusa, Adams?)and he had a no blocking in front of him. Ngata came along and Lewis' career resurfaced. IMO the same thing will happen when VILMA is adequately protected by a real NT- widebody be it with the Jets or another team! I have revisited the films of the last three games. Drobbery was pushed out of the way many times. All that was left was VILMA and he was crushed. IMO an injury was predictable!

If this is true, this is a blessing in disguise for you guys. Vilma is at best an average 3-4 ILB and really has no business at all in this system but that's pretty much stating the obvious. It will be good to get the rookie in there to see what he can do. If he fits in, you could have a first or second round pick coming your way for Vilma next season.

This could be great and this also could be bad, and I never thought I'd have a great way of looking at a Jonathan Vilma injury.

How it would be great:

David Harris steps in and plays BETTER than Vilma and shows promise, making it easier for the Jets to trade Vilma in the offseason for a player or 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

How it would be bad:

He has a knee injury which is never good and that could reduce his trade value.

And the jets are gonna end up giving vilma away for nothing and watching him like 5 pro bowls for some 4-3 team.

when it rains it pours

Wait a minute.. John Smoltz is a better post season pitcher than Koufax or Rivera? GET REAL. Koufax, if he let up 2 runs, it was a miracle. He pitched on 2 days rest when needed to. The man was the most dominant pitcher for a 5 yr stretch ever seen.

J Ville is undersized for this position. He latches onto RBs and is carried for another five yards afterwards. I think they should move him intot he Free Safety position to see what happens. He IS quick. As for his replacement... he never fit in this scheme anyway. it really COULD get better.

without a real NT protecting him, ANY linebacker would look shabby! RAY LEWIS did too when his big widebodies retired ( Siragusa, Adams?)and he had a no blocking in front of him. Ngata came along and Lewis' career resurfaced. IMO the same thing will happen when VILMA is adequately protected by a real NT- widebody be it with the Jets or another team! I have revisited the films of the last three games. Drobbery was pushed out of the way many times. All that was left was VILMA and he was crushed. IMO an injury was predictable!

Ray Lewis looked shabby in the 3-4? When was that? When he was limited to five games with a shoulder injury in 2002 or when he won defensive player of the year in 2003? Maybe it was 2004 when he led the NFL in tackles? Lewis said he didn't like the 3-4, he never needed to resurface. Football is football. Vilma might be more comfortable under the other system, but that is not excuse for his play.

Vilma's trade value had fallen well below a first before any of this happened. Almost the only thing he has going for him is his speed and his work ethic. With any kind of serious knee injury, potential buyers are certainly not going to pony up a very high pick for him without seeing if he still has the speed.

At this point his trade value may be no higher than a third, possible less than that.

Your joking about Lewis right???

When a guard trys to block Ray, he will take them on and 80% of the time will blow straight past them, hes powerful enough to do that.

When a guard bocks Vilma, Vilma is out of the play and more often than not gets pushed 10 yards backwards.

Sometimes I think D-Rob and Vilma are racing each other to see who can get pushed back 10 yrds by guards the quickest.:roll:

Your joking about Lewis right???

When a guard trys to block Ray, he will take them on and 80% of the time will blow straight past them, hes powerful enough to do that.

When a guard bocks Vilma, Vilma is out of the play and more often than not gets pushed 10 yards backwards.

Sometimes I think D-Rob and Vilma are racing each other to see who can get pushed back 10 yrds by guards the quickest.:roll:

Forget the guards and tight ends... forget the 4-3 Vs. the 3-4.... Vilma has been routinely driven backwards by 3-5 yards by even medium-sized running backs. And this has been happening ever since he has been in the league. Yes, in his rookie season he made alot of tackles but if they kept a stat for number of tackles made after being draged/pushed for five yards he would probably lead the league.

Vilma plays too small to be an effective middle linebacker in this league.

It aint just Willis McGahee who makes #51 into his b1tch.

Archived