Swept by the Jills

JetCane

Damn Jetcane you sure have jumped off the Mangini train fast...I'm unassing myself at the next stop on this train wreck of a season

I'll still root for the Jets, just not for him.

I was a jets fan long before he got here, and will be after he's gone. he's a speedbump in Jets histroy.

I'll still root for the Jets, just not for him.

I was a jets fan long before he got here, and will be after he's gone. he's a speedbump in Jets histroy.

I saw 3 good things today;

1-David Harris is going to be a good one

2-Revis got his 1st INT

3-The end of the Chad Pennington era-which I have to admit I'm sad to have had to witness this way

October 28, 2007 -- THE leader of the NFL's 28th-ranked defense is out for the year, but how are we going to be able to tell? This shadow of the hunting, haunting, sideline-to-sideline linebacker that used to be Jonathan Vilma barely will be missed.

Whoever had been wearing No. 51 for the Jets this season had his soul removed at Mangini Laboratories. Because the coach won't let his players admit when they are hurt, Vilma had to go on his own paid radio show Tuesday and humiliate himself by implying he was benched, rather than that he had suffered a potential season-ending knee injury. Yesterday, Vilma was placed on injured reserve, ending the mystery.

Now that's taking one for the team, and a bad one at that. Meanwhile, what bullets are being taken by Mangenius, a former defensive coordinator who was outcoached a week ago when the prodigious-passing Bengals came out running?

Never mind his refusal to publicly criticize players whom you just know he is vaporizing in the film room, Eric Mangini unfailingly evades questions about any aspect of his team's play or personnel decisions by speaking only in the most generic terms.

What a coach does, of course, is more important than what he says. Either way, Mangini appears to have no answers for this 1-6 plight besides shuffling mediocre defensive backs failing for lack of a pass rush.

So if Mangini isn't quite ready to bring on Kellen Clemens, then it's a good thing he has no choice today against the Bills but to replace Vilma with rookie David Harris. We are assured that the second-round linebacker out of Michigan has been catching on fast, like we have the idea that not only defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, but these square pegs Mangini has been jamming into round holes, have got to go.

We can only assume the Jets traded up 16 spots in April to take Harris at No. 47 because he was a good fit for the 3-4 defense that many of the players Mangini inherited are not. The coach loves it for its flexibility, and he's not going to change, damn it!

The definition of good coaching is putting players in the best possible positions to succeed. But the definition of good management is providing players that give coaches their best chance to succeed. And this defense is giving the Jets only an opportunity to go 3-13.

That might seem hard to believe, coming off 10-6 with no significant personnel subtractions, or until now, injuries. But not really, considering the 2006 Jets defense ranked 20th in yards allowed and was gashed almost as badly by the run as the 2007 version. The old football truth - if you are not getting better, you are getting worse - seems applicable not just for Vilma, but for Dewayne Robertson and Shaun Ellis, recent first-round picks who were better fits for a 4-3.

Free speech being squashed in Hempstead like Vilma once squashed backs catching screens, we can surmise a lot of Jets are playing like dead fish because they feel they are out of water. But Vilma's body language on the field - he was averaging 5.5 tackles per game, down from 11.6 in 2004 - practically screams his loss of joie de vivre.

He has not been alone as Mangini holds noses to the grindstone, trying to obliterate the Jets' ability to smell themselves. But by now, a lot of these players on defense not only know their days are numbered, but probably are counting the days themselves.

jay.greenberg@nypost.com

Mangini is a failure

He did something that Herm NEVER did- get swept by the Bills.

I think thats a bit unfair. This team is just not as talented as we thought, and the defense is absolutely awful. Could mangini have coached better, yes, but in the end, the players are just not good enough.

I would put more of the blame on the front office.

I think thats a bit unfair. This team is just not as talented as we thought, and the defense is absolutely awful. Could mangini have coached better, yes, but in the end, the players are just not good enough.

I would put more of the blame on the front office.

Who do you think is in the front office sleecting the players? Tannenbaum and Mangina are joined at he hip. You think they are making personnel decisions independent of MANGINA?

BTW I LEFT YOU A MESSAGE ON YOUR CELL. kw died over the weekend.

:) BGD, you, as his friend, has got to bring one of my favorite posters out of this "Mangini Assasin" mode he seems to be in. :)

October 28, 2007 -- THE leader of the NFL's 28th-ranked defense is out for the year, but how are we going to be able to tell? This shadow of the hunting, haunting, sideline-to-sideline linebacker that used to be Jonathan Vilma barely will be missed.

Whoever had been wearing No. 51 for the Jets this season had his soul removed at Mangini Laboratories. Because the coach won't let his players admit when they are hurt, Vilma had to go on his own paid radio show Tuesday and humiliate himself by implying he was benched, rather than that he had suffered a potential season-ending knee injury. Yesterday, Vilma was placed on injured reserve, ending the mystery.

Now that's taking one for the team, and a bad one at that. Meanwhile, what bullets are being taken by Mangenius, a former defensive coordinator who was outcoached a week ago when the prodigious-passing Bengals came out running?

Never mind his refusal to publicly criticize players whom you just know he is vaporizing in the film room, Eric Mangini unfailingly evades questions about any aspect of his team's play or personnel decisions by speaking only in the most generic terms.

What a coach does, of course, is more important than what he says. Either way, Mangini appears to have no answers for this 1-6 plight besides shuffling mediocre defensive backs failing for lack of a pass rush.

So if Mangini isn't quite ready to bring on Kellen Clemens, then it's a good thing he has no choice today against the Bills but to replace Vilma with rookie David Harris. We are assured that the second-round linebacker out of Michigan has been catching on fast, like we have the idea that not only defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, but these square pegs Mangini has been jamming into round holes, have got to go.

We can only assume the Jets traded up 16 spots in April to take Harris at No. 47 because he was a good fit for the 3-4 defense that many of the players Mangini inherited are not. The coach loves it for its flexibility, and he's not going to change, damn it!

The definition of good coaching is putting players in the best possible positions to succeed. But the definition of good management is providing players that give coaches their best chance to succeed. And this defense is giving the Jets only an opportunity to go 3-13.

That might seem hard to believe, coming off 10-6 with no significant personnel subtractions, or until now, injuries. But not really, considering the 2006 Jets defense ranked 20th in yards allowed and was gashed almost as badly by the run as the 2007 version. The old football truth - if you are not getting better, you are getting worse - seems applicable not just for Vilma, but for Dewayne Robertson and Shaun Ellis, recent first-round picks who were better fits for a 4-3.

Free speech being squashed in Hempstead like Vilma once squashed backs catching screens, we can surmise a lot of Jets are playing like dead fish because they feel they are out of water. But Vilma's body language on the field - he was averaging 5.5 tackles per game, down from 11.6 in 2004 - practically screams his loss of joie de vivre.

He has not been alone as Mangini holds noses to the grindstone, trying to obliterate the Jets' ability to smell themselves. But by now, a lot of these players on defense not only know their days are numbered, but probably are counting the days themselves.

jay.greenberg@nypost.com

Oh boohooo Vilma, booohooo. Hey, David Harris is a rookie and played HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than Vilma. But yeah, boohoo Vilma.:yawn:

Oh boohooo Vilma, booohooo. Hey, David Harris is a rookie and played HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than Vilma. But yeah, boohoo Vilma.:yawn:

Another ungrateful playa hater? The bad karma always comes back to bite Jet fans in the arse. They never learn.

Harris played great today.

Unfortunately, in a few years he will be hated on, too, as is the pattern with Jets fans.

One day Clemens will be, too, and it seems to already have happened with a thread tonite.

Same way people disparage Curtis Martin's accomplishments.

I dont see any other fanbase have such ill-will for their players as Jets fans do. it's pathetic.

Harris played great today.

Unfortunately, in a few years he will be hated on, too, as is the pattern with Jets fans.

One day Clemens will be, too, and it seems to already have happened with a thread tonite.

Same way people disparage Curtis Martin's accomplishments.

I dont see any other fanbase have such ill-will for their players as Jets fans do. it's pathetic.

They don't only playa hate, they coach hate too :)

As JETS fans, we are in the 'what have you done for me today' mode. But again, we have been waiting for a decent team to take us to the dance for 38 years. That's a long time...

I believe that this years team is much improved than last years - especially on Defense, with the addition of Revis, Harris, Clement and Pouha return. On offense we lost Kendall, and our starting FB (names slips my mind) but Chad's game has been limited to very short passes - moreso than last year. Not sure if that's because he reinjured that shoulder or just very conservative playcalling. Personally, I think he re-hurt his shoulder and just not saying anything about it. Either way, it's time for a change at QB.

IMHO, I think Mangini is losing the team. His arrogance and stubbornness is just over the top. As a player, you can swallow that if you are winning but when you are losing due to coaching mistakes (and the lack of a set of balls) it just compounds things.

The latest is the Baker and Vilma "injuries". Almost every single player in the NFL is playing hurt to some degree. So Mangini wasn't lying when he said baker is "injured for the Bengals game, or Vilma is on IR due to injuries. The question is where they physically hurt bad enough to warrant them not to play? Both guys are very talented and big contributors to this team, when given the opportunity.

Not sure if anyone caught this but after CP was pulled, the cameras focused in on CP walking over to Vilma and chatting on the sideline. Both standing up...

If Vilma's knee was hurt bad enough to warrant an IR designation this week, would he be able to stand up on the sidelines? I think not...

If Vilma's knee was hurt bad enough to warrant an IR designation this week, would he be able to stand up on the sidelines? I think not...

Standing on the sidelines and playing in an NFL game are two different things. Do you think everybody that goes on IR needs to be in a wheelchair. The guy is hurt, there is no conspiracy or whatever else people think is going on here.

Archived