Players I suspect were/are on roids:

TomShane

I base this on this criteria: Anamolous power-number season followed by a debiliitating rash of joint injuries:

The obvious:

Brady Anderson

Sheffield

Giambi

McGwire

Bonds

Shawn Green

Sammy Sosa

The not so obvious:

Garrett Anderson

Tim Salmon

Brendan Donnelly

Eric Gagne

Mike Piazza

Manny Ramirez

Nomar - definitely.

Manny Ramirez? You are out of your mind. The man is the idiot savant of hitting. He's been hitting well lately and I think his wife may have helped get his head out from up his own arse.....or was that outter space>? Serioulsy, Manny on roid's is laughable.

80...good call. Bret Boone definite.

But if I had to pick one guy and my life depended on it...Brady Anderson is his name.

He went from being a guy with pop to a 50 homerun threat. Come on.

Darin Erstad and Troy Glaus. Both very talented, cut, but also always hurt. May be a whole LA/Anaheim colony of roid guys.

And Kevin Millar. This guy goes froma total worthless fatass on his way to Japan with the Marlins to a solid HR/RBI for a few of the Wild West roid years, and now with testing he again sucks.

Darin Erstad and Troy Glaus. Both very talented, cut, but also always hurt. May be a whole LA/Anaheim colony of roid guys.

And Kevin Millar. This guy goes froma total worthless fatass on his way to Japan with the Marlins to a solid HR/RBI for a few of the Wild West roid years, and now with testing he again sucks.

Millar is hitting again. Not that I like the guy - I think he's a jacka@@ - but it is his MO to suck for two months or more and then tear it up. Plus - you must have missed him on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. No way someone that looks that out of shape can be on 'roids.

Jose Canseco :lol:

J/K

Garret Anderson? Not a chance...the guy is a contac t hitter and when you put that much wood on the ball,you will get a few out.

Troy Percival

Rob Nenn

Tim Salmon

Eric Gagne

Roger Clemens

Luis Gonzalez

Pudge

Jeormy Bernitz

Gabe Kapler :roll:

Trot Nixon

Frank Thomas

Raul Mondesi

Richard Hidalgo

Nomar Garciapara

Mike Lowell

Jeff Bagwell

These are the players I'm adding into the witch-hunt (if not previously mentoned, because I havent seen the above posts

Pudge Rodriguez (anybody see how slim he got this off-season?)

Nomar Garciapara (see Bob Ryan article)

Frank Thomas

Jeff Bagwell

David Ortiz (only because the guy is so damn huge)

and the most popular name I'll throw in:

Nolan Ryan (45 year old who still pitched with power)

Bret Boone.

Remember when the guy hit over 30 homers a couple years ago well into his 30's, even though he was nothing more than a weak-hitting middle infielder up until that point?

Boone definitely belongs on list.

Ortiz I think is and always has been clean.

There are hundreds of players. Look at the relievers struggles this year. IMO roids helped them come back every day easier in the past.

I was gonna say the same thing.

Ortiz:

2000 10 HR/415 AB

2002 20 HR/412 AB

2003 31 HR/448 AB

2004 41 HR/582 AB

I'm sure it's just a coincidence his homerun totals have quadrupled in 5 years. :shock:

Why leave out 2001 when he hit 18 in 303 ABs?

I am not saying he is or is not, but a player that goes from 10 to 18 to 20 to 31 to 41 is showing career progression.

Plus, it can not hurt to bat left at Fenway Park for 81 games.

I was gonna say the same thing.

Ortiz:

2000 10 HR/415 AB

2002 20 HR/412 AB

2003 31 HR/448 AB

2004 41 HR/582 AB

I'm sure it's just a coincidence his homerun totals have quadrupled in 5 years. :shock:

(sigh) Idiots.

Try as you might to diminish the accomplishments of BIG PAPI (!!!) but the wild accusation is void of any and all merit. Of course it is...it derives from the stained keyboard of EB.

1. Its no coincidence that Ortiz's power numbers quadrupled...so did the amount of at-bats he gets.

2. Steroids make you big and buff with chizzled muscle, not fatness. Basically, if Ortiz shot up, he must not have touched a dumbbell.

3. This year it is assumed everyone is steroid free and Ortiz is still smashing HRs...moonshots too.

Basically you 2 playa-hatas can suck it!

Kevin Millar? He looks like a fat, beer-swilling couch potato. Do you people even know anyone who has taken steroids before?

Some notables left out:

Brad Fullmer

Mike Sweeney

Benito Santiago (duh)

Kevin Brown

Milton Bradley

Paul O'Neil (roid rage)

and last but not least, the players who needed steroids just to get to the level of SUCKING:

Manny Alexander

Jeremy Giambi

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/millake01.shtml

At 31, after a career of doing so little that the Marlins were doing him a favor by selling him to Japan, suddenly former waste product Millar does his best HR and RBI numbers by a bunch in roughly a few more ABs in Boston than his last year in Fla. and does it for another year. And now, with testing in full swing, he again sucks. Anyone who would dye his hair is likely to have no problem bumping up his intake of "supplements". Roids doesn't necessarily make you a cut Jim Jupiter. If you look at Giambi or Bonds or any number of others, it can add as much mass as muscle. Which in Ortiz and Millar and others turns warning track outs into HRs. The career peaks in a guy's 30s and increase in mass is exactly indictive of roids.

And one more thing-with the wear&tear catchers go thorugh, I'd almost be surprised if they didn't. That goes for damn near everyone-Piazza, Posada, Varitek, Pudge, Kendall. The position grinds you up and spits you out. Varitek to be as solid as he is every October is either a freak or gobbling them.

These are the players I'm adding into the witch-hunt (if not previously mentoned, because I havent seen the above posts

Pudge Rodriguez (anybody see how slim he got this off-season?)

Nomar Garciapara (see Bob Ryan article)

Frank Thomas

Jeff Bagwell

David Ortiz (only because the guy is so damn huge)

and the most popular name I'll throw in:

Nolan Ryan (45 year old who still pitched with power)

Ryan was a freak of nature. That's all. If you honestly think him and all 180 lbs of him were on roids, then you need to have your head examined. By your logic, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Jesse Orosco, and Jamie Moyer are or have juiced up.

Jesse Orosco

What? He pitched since the dawn of time! He's like a billion!

Honestly... any player who's suited up, majors or in the minors, is under suspicion of taking roids. From Ortiz to Jeter and everyone in between. Except Ichiro. Dude's like rail thin. And, I don't believe that Alex Sanchez ever took roids. Not with the amount of sucking I saw him do in Detroit.

Paul O'Neil (roid rage)

Yea...cuz he was huge and chizzled right?

didn't you just say " Steroids make you big and buff with chizzled muscle"

How much sense do you make?

Not everybody gets cut doing roids....most guys just put on mass...which means fat guys can hide the mass alot better then skinny guys(Bonds).

If Paul O'Neil was on roids he needs to ask for a full refund right now.

Damn sometimes you really make wonder how stupid you really must be.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/millake01.shtml

At 31, after a career of doing so little that the Marlins were doing him a favor by selling him to Japan, suddenly former waste product Millar does his best HR and RBI numbers by a bunch in roughly a few more ABs in Boston than his last year in Fla. and does it for another year. And now, with testing in full swing, he again sucks. Anyone who would dye his hair is likely to have no problem bumping up his intake of "supplements". Roids doesn't necessarily make you a cut Jim Jupiter. If you look at Giambi or Bonds or any number of others, it can add as much mass as muscle. Which in Ortiz and Millar and others turns warning track outs into HRs. The career peaks in a guy's 30s and increase in mass is exactly indictive of roids.

Again, as I said with Ortiz or Manny for that matter, I do not know if Millar is taking roids or not, but let's be realistic here.

Millar's highs prior to Boston:

AB: 449

BA: .314

HRs: 20

RBIs: 85

Millar's highs in Boston:

AB: 544 (+95)

BA: .297 (-17)

HRs: 25 (+5)

RBIs: 96 (+11)

Of course Bugg could be on to something, he does have his second, third, fourth and fifth career stolen bases. :roll:

Bugg's latter point (i.e. numbers being off) is a valid point, but it is not like his career high jump in numbers was Brady Andersonesque. He had an increase of 5 HRs and 11 RBIs which was accomplished in almost 100 more ABs. That seems about right with the increased ABs, playing in Fenway and with a better team.

Yea...cuz he was huge and chizzled right?

didn't you just say " Steroids make you big and buff with chizzled muscle"

How much sense do you make?

Not everybody gets cut doing roids....most guys just put on mass...which means fat guys can hide the mass alot better then skinny guys(Bonds).

If Paul O'Neil was on roids he needs to ask for a full refund right now.

Damn sometimes you really make wonder how stupid you really must be.

While I agree that this is the dumbest thread I've ever participated in...and I'm not shocked smizzy is a part of it either...you dont need to lecture me about the positives/negatives about steroids. You get fat and grow manboobs only if u let urself go after prolonged periods of time without keeping yourself in shape. If those 2 dudes were taking steroids, they both seemingly never touched a freeweight. Thats not cheating in my book, thats putting urself at a serious disadvantage.

David Ortiz and Kevin Millar are not on steroids. Period! Thats all there is to say about that. I'm not saying the Red Sox dont have their culprits, just you Yankee fans simply must be held accountable for your ridiculous statements.

I threw in Paul O'Neil to iritate you guys like you threw in guys like Schilling, Ortiz, Millar, etc... to irritate us. Both statements make zero sense.

Archived