It dosent matter if you are 8-1 or 1-8, you play the same way every time.

nico002

You cannot take a different approach to the game because of your record.

It is extremely important, and a key philosophy of this staff to teach consistency.

If you don't go for it on 4th and 7 when you have a winning record, you absolutely under no circumstances go for it when you have a losing record.

You teach your players to prepare and play one game at a time, nothing else matters, just that one game.

Doing things different because of your record shows a **** it attitude that demoralizes the team and derails what the staff is trying to do.

Those saying that we should have gone for it on 4th and 7, simply don't know football.

It is extremely important, and a key philosophy of this staff to teach consistency.

If you don't go for it on 4th and 7 when you have a winning record, you absolutely under no circumstances go for it when you have a losing record.

You teach your players to prepare and play one game at a time, nothing else matters, just that one game.

Doing things different because of your record shows a **** it attitude that demoralizes the team and derails what the staff is trying to do.

Those saying that we should have gone for it on 4th and 7, simply don't know football.

you have a point in most cases,,however, when u have a defense that stopped the opposing team only ONCE all day it changes things,,especially since it would be a theoritical 39 yd line vs 20 yd line decision..

the Jet Off conversely move dthe ball all day also, so in my opinion, in this case the odds at the 39 yd line were more in our favor to go for it than to relinquish the ball to a off that was stopped once all day vs a tired D

That is a good point. the proper argument is:

When you have a QB who has been making 3rd down conversions all game long and you have the worst ground defense since the French in WWII, you don't punt in that situation.

:yeahthat:

I love the arrogance. We know enough about football to say if you punt they will lose. And that is exactly what happened. 30 yards of field position or a CHANCE to win the game.

I will go for the win. If they had a major league defense it would be another story though. Sadly, they don't.

I love the arrogance. We know enough about football to say if you punt they will lose. And that is exactly what happened. 30 yards of field position or a CHANCE to win the game.

I will go for the win. If they had a major league defense it would be another story though. Sadly, they don't.

Really. It's not like we were on our own 20 yard-line; we were on their 39. Convert one 7+ yard pass & we're in at least <50-yd FG range & the game could be over after 2-3 handoffs for minimal gain.

OR...punt, hope it doesn't roll or sail into the endzone that would make it a piddly 19-yard net (a 50/50 chance), then hope we can suddenly stop them from converting first downs, make them punt, then march down the field until we get into FG range again.

Which had the greater chance of success given our defense & that the only reason we didn't convert on the prior play was a dropped pass.

Really. It's not like we were on our own 20 yard-line; we were on their 39. Convert one 7+ yard pass & we're in at least <50-yd FG range & the game could be over after 2-3 handoffs for minimal gain.

OR...punt, hope it doesn't roll or sail into the endzone that would make it a piddly 19-yard net (a 50/50 chance), then hope we can suddenly stop them from converting first downs, make them punt, then march down the field until we get into FG range again.

Which had the greater chance of success given our defense & that the only reason we didn't convert on the prior play was a dropped pass.

what if there would have been a sack and fumble or an interception

what if there would have been a sack and fumble or an interception

An interception, unless it's run all the way back, is like a short punt. A sack is 6 more yards.

Basically, I have more confidence in the offense alone (on one play) than have to rely on both the defense AND the offense in full, successive possessions.

An interception, unless it's run all the way back, is like a short punt. A sack is 6 more yards.

Basically, I have more confidence in the offense alone (on one play) than have to rely on both the defense AND the offense in full, successive possessions.

i would agree with you if we had a better o line

Yeah, max. The guys slurping mangina's jizz are the only ones here who know football. ;-)

Here is the drive chart.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=29317&displayPage=tab_drive_chart&season=2007&week=REG9

Notice the skins had the ball for 9 possessions, and scored on 7 of them, not including the running out the clock at the end of the game.

How can anyone assume the D would likely hold them?

Particularly when you have a notoriously bending (read: bend over) defense, a long field is no advantage for a D like that. it just gives them more space to protect, which they arent good at. The D did somewhat better when there was less room to cover, and forced FGs. They didnt prevent the Skins from moving into jets territory all day.

50/50 shot at making the first down

20/80 shot at stopping the skins

Archived