Rashad Washington Waived

JetCane

Rashad Washington Waived

Published: 11-06-07

Pr-mic-small

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

change font email article

The New York Jets have waived safety Rashad Washington. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Washington (6'1", 217) was selected by the Jets in the seventh round (236th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Kansas State. In four seasons, he played in 48 games and tallied 69 special teams tackles, 22 defensive tackles, 1.5 sacks and one pass defensed. He recorded 10 special teams tackles in nine games this season.

The New York Jets have waived safety Rashad Washington. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Washington (6'1", 217) was selected by the Jets in the seventh round (236th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Kansas State. In four seasons, he played in 48 games and tallied 69 special teams tackles, 22 defensive tackles, 1.5 sacks and one pass defensed. He recorded 10 special teams tackles in nine games this season.

Thank god, I actually wanted him gone in preseason cuts. Would have rather seen Ventrone, what he lacks in physical gifts he made up for with heart and grit. Washington just goes through the motions and was constantly out of position and making dumb penalties.

Thank god, I actually wanted him gone in preseason cuts. Would have rather seen Ventrone, what he lacks in physical gifts he made up for with heart and grit. Washington just goes through the motions and was constantly out of position and making dumb penalties.

wonder what teamed picked up Ventrone?

kind of odd to do it over the bye

but now we have 2 open roster spots

from andrew gross blog

For a time, Washington was a very valuable special teams player. In fact, when I polled the locker room last season, he was most constantly cited as the player most likely to make a big play on special teams. But he was awful against the Redskins with two penalties (going on memory here as I try and race out the door to Hofstra) and he also was clobbered on the Redskins

we should be praising Mangini

rashad washington sucks

I thought he played well last year when he played defense (as opposed to special teams). But then again i like Elam so what do i know?

I think these guys are good players who need coaching. I'd rather have guys like Washinton and Elam than guys like Eric Smith who are limited physically and thus have limited upside.

I thought he played well last year when he played defense (as opposed to special teams). But then again i like Elam so what do i know?

I think these guys are good players who need coaching. I'd rather have guys like Washinton and Elam than guys like Eric Smith who are limited physically and thus have limited upside.

Eric Smith is not limited physically at all. In fact he is 5X the athlete that Washington or Elam are. Just cause he is white doesnt mean he cant be a really good athlete. There is a reason why he is on the punt blocking unit, and had sick triangle numbers at the combine, he is a VERY good athlete and he should be starting now.

I'd rather have guys like Washinton and Elam than guys like Eric Smith who are limited physically and thus have limited upside.

the ironic thing about that statement is that Eric Smith (3rd) was a far more high profile prospect than both Washington (7th) and Elam (UDFA) - he ran faster and jumped higher than both

white dude = limited physically

FWIW Eric Smith's problem isn't his body it's his brains - he needs to be more fearless, i think he is working his way out of Mangini's doghouse slowly but surely.

Eric Smith is not limited physically at all. In fact he is 5X the athlete that Washington or Elam are. Just cause he is white doesnt mean he cant be a really good athlete. There is a reason why he is on the punt blocking unit, and had sick triangle numbers at the combine, he is a VERY good athlete and he should be starting now.

good post - but the reason why Smith got in the doghouse was when he tried to ankle tackle the shrimpy Kevin Curtis

good post - but the reason why Smith got in the doghouse was when he tried to ankle tackle the shrimpy Kevin Curtis

Yup. Which is harsh because every single safety who has ever played has done that screw up. Not to mention in the previous game (vs the Giants) Eric Smith had a very solid game. I still have hopes for him to be a starter with the Jets.

With 5 safeties on the active roster, you saw this coming eventually. Abram Elam looks like he's a Mangini favorite and honestly, minus a couple mistakes, has played well for a guy coming out of nowhere. Erik Coleman is a FA at the end of the season and I don't see him being re-signed. This could be Elam's job for good.

the ironic thing about that statement is that Eric Smith (3rd) was a far more high profile prospect than both Washington (7th) and Elam (UDFA) - he ran faster and jumped higher than both

white dude = limited physically

FWIW Eric Smith's problem isn't his body it's his brains - he needs to be more fearless, i think he is working his way out of Mangini's doghouse slowly but surely.

i didn't even know Smith was white. Never saw him without a helmet and he looked like a light skinned black guy to me. Compared to him Washington looks big and slow, but Elam looks like he plays much faster. Of course with that comes less thinking, more stupidity, mistakes and penalties.

I don't understand any criticism of cutting him. What was Mangini supposed to do - keep him for the rest of the season in an attempt to hide his mistake in keeping him this long?

I wish he'd do it more often, frankly. Andrew Gross was dead on balls correct with regards to Mangini's "shake-up's" after each loss. The only other real changes I've seen is taking out Robertson & I think Ellis on (supposedly) obvious running downs. Can't remember all the substitutions & the TV really only shows it sparingly unless you can see all the jersey #'s during play.

But I can't even see a reason for DRob to be on the field at this point other than giving Pouha a breather. And yes, Pouha sucks also. But the way DRob was pushed around so effortlessly by so-so linemen means he's incapable of handling the job responsibility either for talent or size or motivational reasons. Which one of those is inconsequential. He's awful right now & isn't coming back next year with a $9-10M cap number, so I see little point in continuing to use him for any reason other than giving someone else a breather.

If/when Mangini feels the need to fire two coordinators in two years then I'll be the first to say, "Well then what the hell are YOU still doing here?" But I don't consider this a "throwing under the bus" situation. He was playing like crap & he's not that talented to begin with. It would be more disturbing if he was kept around any longer.

Archived