Kellen in/Chad out, D.Harris in/J.Vilma out...The Mangini era is under way

I love D.Harris! Wow, thats all I can say. A freaking rookie racking up all these tackles? I really feel that he is the player Mangini needs to build this team around. And he may end up as the DROY

And Kellen Clemens is a tough QB who can escape the pocket... I love Chads heart, but I'm glad I can say that Kellen Clemens has a freaking arm! With Kellen, Coles, Cotch, Thomas Jones and Leon Washington... I feel this Jets team can go far in the near future. All we need is a solid run blocking guard and a play maker like D.McFadden and this Jets Offense will be ready for lift off. We just need to upgrade the O-Line and bring in a playmaker on the offensive side of the ball.

I just cant wait till I can say ____ In/D.Robertson out! We are a 3-4 Defense now, Mangini drafted Harris because of that, and now Mangini needs to work some magic and bring this Jets defense a solid 3-4 NT... I wont lie, as a fan of the Jets and as football fan in general... I would say that a 3-4 NT is one of the hardest positions to fill.

Yea it sucks that we are 1-8 and it also feels bad knowing that Im already thinking about next year, but as a team... We have some players to build this team around.

I just heard that Ted Washington was playing for the Browns. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I swear it was 10 years ago that he first became available and people said he was too old and wanted too much money. I think George Washington was President. I don't care if he is 10% of what he used to be. Do you think the Skins would gain 300 rushing yards if his fat a$$ was in front of Harris and Co instead of the human beach ball?

I just heard that Ted Washington was playing for the Browns. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I swear it was 10 years ago that he first became available and people said he was too old and wanted too much money. I think George Washington was President. I don't care if he is 10% of what he used to be. Do you think the Skins would gain 300 rushing yards if his fat a$$ was in front of Harris and Co instead of the human beach ball?

I think Ted Washington is on IR.

And a NT suitable for the 3-4 isn't "one of the hardest positions to fill" (appropriately, of course). It is THE hardest position to fill. They are the rarest players to find. There are fewer of them than any other position in football.

Now some of you are seeing why I was so batty about adding Ngata instead of anyone else in '06. You think these players fall off trees? Usually one of them with a high draft grade comes out every 2-3 years & one of them coming out is far from a guarantee that he'll be available with our pick when it happens. I count FIVE players in the last 10 drafts

2006 was an insane exception; we had the opportunity at TWO of them and passed on them TWICE. The first one was excusable maybe, given our hole at LT. But when we passed on Watson TWICE in round THREE, I went nuts.

Haloti Ngata 2006 round 1

Gabe Watson 2006 round 3

Vince Wilfork 2004 round 1

Casey Hampton 2001 round 1

Jamal Williams 1998 (supplemental round 1 pick)

There are some who get picked at the bottom of the draft (Grady Jackson, 1997 round 6; Jason Ferguson, 1997 round 7; Ma'ake Kemoeatu 2002 udfa). But man, talk about your crap-shoots. For every one of them that works out there are 20 that don't. And going into year three now, we're hardly in the position to gamble our DL away on a 6th-round or lower rookie.

I'm just some guy who sounds off on a homo-ridden message board & I could see that. Friggin' Mangini & Tannenbaum should have known it all too well.

Take a look at some top 3-4 lines: every one of them took a NT with a first-round pick & took DE's high if they didn't already get a FA or get lucky with a mid/late-rounder. But NONE of them "built" a whole 3-man front by only drafting day-two players.

NE: Seymour (#6 overall), Wilfork (#21 overall), Warren (#13 overall)

SD: Williams (supp rd 1; would have had the #7 pick); Castillo (#28 overall); Olshansky (#35 overall)

Pit: Hampton (#19 overall); (Smith was a 4th-rounder & Keisel was a 7th; prior to him, Kimo was a FA). But they weren't building a 3-4 line from scratch; we do not have - and have not had - this luxury.

The only one I can excuse is relying on Ellis. He has 3-4 DE size & was drafted to be so by Parcells. Don't know how much improvement he'd make with a real NT next to him (that we do not have), but he's got more talent than he's displayed the past two years. I don't expect double-digit sacks from him on a 3-man line, but he's looked crappy.

Can I ask a question

I'm not trying to take a shot at anyone, but why is it when someone brings up all the tackles Vilma made last year, someone always mentions how they were always 3-4 yards downfield (fairly accurate, IMHO).

I watched the game Sunday, and I didn't see Harris make many tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. Most of them were 3-4 yards downfield. So why the love affair with him after 2 games?

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a better fit for the 3-4, but I guess I don't understand how everyone thinks he's so great for doing the same thing Vilma gets raked over the coals for.

And if he keeps making 24 tackles a game, he'll be injured and shot after 2 years.

Can I ask a question

I'm not trying to take a shot at anyone, but why is it when someone brings up all the tackles Vilma made last year, someone always mentions how they were always 3-4 yards downfield (fairly accurate, IMHO).

I watched the game Sunday, and I didn't see Harris make many tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. Most of them were 3-4 yards downfield. So why the love affair with him after 2 games?

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a better fit for the 3-4, but I guess I don't understand how everyone thinks he's so great for doing the same thing Vilma gets raked over the coals for.

And if he keeps making 24 tackles a game, he'll be injured and shot after 2 years.

I watched the game too and although Harris did make queit a few tackles downfield...he also made a bunch behind and/or at the line of scrimmage. They were not all 5 yards down field.

Can I ask a question

Yes, a number of Harris's tackles are down the field because, as we all know, our d-line sucks. But he also makes tackles at, near or behind the LOS. Despite the d-line. That is the difference between Vilma and Harris. Vilma hardly ever made those kind of tackles. Harris can take on blockers, shed them, and make tackles head on, not diving for a leg like Vilma. Go back and watch the Buffalo game. Between his 2 starts and his spot duty this year, Harris has made more solid stops than all of the other Jet LBers combined.

I think Ted Washington is on IR.

And a NT suitable for the 3-4 isn't "one of the hardest positions to fill" (appropriately, of course). It is THE hardest position to fill. They are the rarest players to find. There are fewer of them than any other position in football.

Now some of you are seeing why I was so batty about adding Ngata instead of anyone else in '06. You think these players fall off trees? Usually one of them with a high draft grade comes out every 2-3 years & one of them coming out is far from a guarantee that he'll be available with our pick when it happens. I count FIVE players in the last 10 drafts

2006 was an insane exception; we had the opportunity at TWO of them and passed on them TWICE. The first one was excusable maybe, given our hole at LT. But when we passed on Watson TWICE in round THREE, I went nuts.

Haloti Ngata 2006 round 1

Gabe Watson 2006 round 3

Vince Wilfork 2004 round 1

Casey Hampton 2001 round 1

Jamal Williams 1998 (supplemental round 1 pick)

There are some who get picked at the bottom of the draft (Grady Jackson, 1997 round 6; Jason Ferguson, 1997 round 7; Ma'ake Kemoeatu 2002 udfa). But man, talk about your crap-shoots. For every one of them that works out there are 20 that don't. And going into year three now, we're hardly in the position to gamble our DL away on a 6th-round or lower rookie.

I'm just some guy who sounds off on a homo-ridden message board & I could see that. Friggin' Mangini & Tannenbaum should have known it all too well.

Take a look at some top 3-4 lines: every one of them took a NT with a first-round pick & took DE's high if they didn't already get a FA or get lucky with a mid/late-rounder. But NONE of them "built" a whole 3-man front by only drafting day-two players.

NE: Seymour (#6 overall), Wilfork (#21 overall), Warren (#13 overall)

SD: Williams (supp rd 1; would have had the #7 pick); Castillo (#28 overall); Olshansky (#35 overall)

Pit: Hampton (#19 overall); (Smith was a 4th-rounder & Keisel was a 7th; prior to him, Kimo was a FA). But they weren't building a 3-4 line from scratch; we do not have - and have not had - this luxury.

The only one I can excuse is relying on Ellis. He has 3-4 DE size & was drafted to be so by Parcells. Don't know how much improvement he'd make with a real NT next to him (that we do not have), but he's got more talent than he's displayed the past two years. I don't expect double-digit sacks from him on a 3-man line, but he's looked crappy.

Wow, POTWN!

Can I ask a question

He can do that one thing that Vilma cant, avoid and shed blocks.

Archived