The unthinkable has occured

Green Jets & Ham

The Yankees must become SELLERS this year and not BUYERS

As the trade deadline approaches, the Yankees should start selling off pieces {but not the young pieces} and start to RE-BUILD for the future

To act like BUYERS this year would be the height of mismanagement, throwing good money after bad ... this team is GOING NOWHERE ... if you consistantly lose to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, it's time to face reality ... the run is over and the time for re-building is upon us

We knew it couldn't last forever ... we had a LONG and AMAZING RUN ... but all good things must come to an end and this run {of post-season play} is officially over ... better to accept that now, not delude ourselves into making bad trades for more vets and digging our hole even deeper, but instead get about the business of re-building

George will always be a buyer. besides, it's too early to sell for anyone in that division.

The more the Yankees kid themsleves at this point ... acting like BUYERS as opposed to SELLERS ... the longer it will take to re-build

This team can't even beat the D-Rays, thus they are officially TOAST

JMO

Ham, the problem is that all of the Yanks vets are all making Yankee-sized money and not the going rate. If George wants to deal Sheff or Mussina or ARod, he's going to have to swallow SO much cash in the deal it just might not be worth it. If you have to pay $8 mil of Giambi's contract, for instance, to get back Kotsay or something to that effect, will it really be worth it? The Yanks should just play it out, make whatever acquisitions they can make, and re-tool in the off-season after dumping Joe Torre on the wood-pile.

it's still way too early to pack it in, the season isn't even to the all-star break.

couple of items to think about - last season i had totally written Bos off after they fell behind in the wild card sometime in late July.

houston astros of last year, oakland a's of the a few years ago - seemed like they were always out of it by all-star break and then end up winning the division.

Ham is right...and I've said this a month ago. ITS TIME TO FACE THE MUSIC, Yankee fans. It is 1965 all over again in the Bronx. The "nice run" you sopke of died a few years ago (Anaheim; 2002 to be exact) The Yanks must go into salary dumping mode this instant!

But you cant move dead weight like Brown, Bernie, and Giamboo. Nobody in their right mind would take A-hole because of that salary and because of the baggage he brings. Even Sheffield would be tough to move unless the Yanks wanna foot that bill.

I got 2 words for ya: Hideki Matsui! Some teams would bite on this guy and his $7 million that remains on his contract. You might get 2 or 3 prospects by moving Hideki Matsui to a contender. Get 'er done!

I really do not think the Yankees are that good - I have been saying that they have too many past their prime players.

Orioles have started to show their problems- and Yankees are only 4 games out of wild card. Totally Giving up on the season is a little premature. Especially they have so many games left with O's and Red Sox

The Yankees can not be sellers. Who can they sell? Only the guys they want to keep.

Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright? Not much of a market there. Sheff? Makes so much money nobody else would give up a lot for him.

Randy Johnson? With that contract extension in place there is no way they get much back for him if anything at all.

The Yankees will never be sellers as long as George is running the show. Not saying he won't make moves and get rid of people. Just saying that he will never think about winning next year instead of this year.

May I harken back to the millions of "So the Yankees are playing .500 ball, its only April. We all know Baltimore and Boston wont be there in October"

Then, "So the Yanks are still .500, it's only May, they'll flick the switch soon enough. Baltimore and Boston will fade away soon"

Now at the end of June, "So the Yanks are still .500, Baltimore's good but their pitching wont hold up and we still have a bunch of games left with them. Plus, its only June"

See a pattern here? 1965 anyone?

There are only a couple of guys that are movable.

1)Matsui : Won't be traded

2)Wang and Cano: Should not be traded.

3)Womack: Not making insane money so a possabilty.

4)Gordon

I still think though the Yankees stand pat and try and work their way through this.

I never in a million years though I would say this but the all-star break cannot get here fast enough.

In the dark recesses of their brains, the greatest fear of Red Sox fans is that the Yankees actaully do retool starting now and then pick up where they left off, as if these 2 seasons were just blips.

Job 1-GET RID OF GIAMBI OR WRITE THE CHECK. Enough!And geta real defensive catcher. Posada's offense no longer overcomes his lousy defense and crappy relationship with pitchers.

Staying-

ARod, Jeter, Cano, Matsui.

Rivera, Sturtze.

Big Unit, Wang, Mussina.

Guys who are cost effective/spare parts/no trade value-Pavano, Wright, Tino-may have a place.

Everyone else-Sheff, Posada, Gordon, Womack-if there's a deal to be made, have a nice life. Because the Yankees aren't winning anything this year anyway.

In the dark recesses of their brains, the greatest fear of Red Sox fans is that the Yankees actaully do retool starting now and then pick up where they left off, as if these 2 seasons were just blips.

Job 1-GET RID OF GIAMBI OR WRITE THE CHECK. Enough!And geta real defensive catcher. Posada's offense no longer overcomes his lousy defense and crappy relationship with pitchers.

Staying-

ARod, Jeter, Cano, Matsui.

Rivera, Sturtze.

Big Unit, Wang, Mussina.

Guys who are cost effective/spare parts/no trade value-Pavano, Wright, Tino-may have a place.

Everyone else-Sheff, Posada, Gordon, Womack-if there's a deal to be made, have a nice life. Because the Yankees aren't winning anything this year anyway.

I agree...BoSox fans such as myself have a fear of the Yankees retooling and starting a whole new dynasty. I just lived through one and I dont want to see another one for quite some time.

But what you proceeded to say is pretty damn far from retooling. Getting rid of Giamboo? Not exactly groundbreaking, is it? And Posada? Thats a start, but he is hardly the problem!

Jeter stays? Fine, I'll give you that even though moving him for young prospects would be a great way to begin a whole new dynasty...NYers would find it tough to take initially, but they'd get over it. Nonetheless, I'll give you him.

Why are Cano, Wang and Matsui staying? They are liek 3 of the most movable pieces on this team!

And A-rod??? You BETTER think about moving his ass. He is the common denominator in this year and last year in case you havent noticed. In fact, it would be tough to move him and you'd be lucky to get him the hell off the team!

Rivera stays, obviously. But Sturtze? Why do you need him?

Big Unit? Fine...you might as well let him finish out his contract. Mussina though...I'd be in such a hurry to get that inconsistent malcontent off my team if I were you. He's been in NY forever and he is ringless, in case youre wondering!

Pavano youre stuck with. Wright as well, that is, if he ever pitches again.

But did you really just say you want to retool the Yankees....AND THERE IS A PLACE FOR TINO ON THE TEAM???

Come back when youre ready to seriously talk retooling! K, thanks!

As Dave Dombrowski once said, "You try and trade them"

Good luck finding anyone who's going to want those giant contracts that only the Yankees could afford to pay. Yankees will have to eat up a big chunk of it. And if you guys find a suitor for Giambi I would be amazed.

As Dave Dombrowski once said, "You try and trade them"

Good luck finding anyone who's going to want those giant contracts that only the Yankees could afford to pay. Yankees will have to eat up a big chunk of it. And if you guys find a suitor for Giambi I would be amazed.

I'll give you a bag of baseballs for Robinson Cano!

And if I were george, I'd stop pitching Wang Chung before his stock sinks any lower. Then again, isnt he the de facto ace of the staff these days?

The Yankees can not be sellers. Who can they sell? Only the guys they want to keep.

Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright? Not much of a market there. Sheff? Makes so much money nobody else would give up a lot for him.

Randy Johnson? With that contract extension in place there is no way they get much back for him if anything at all.

The Yankees will never be sellers as long as George is running the show. Not saying he won't make moves and get rid of people. Just saying that he will never think about winning next year instead of this year.

Nice post. You basically stole the main points from the previous 10 posts in this thread and regurgitated them. Have you ever had an original thought, puke?

Ham,

Too early still to bury the yanks and read their post-mortem. They are only 5 games out. However, you are correct..to lose 7 of 10 to the Devil Rays is a really bad sign. The problem is that the pitching corp is garbage. Mussina is probably the one pitcher who still has anything in the tank...Randy has pitched sh*tt-e, Pavano was way overated (too many HRs), Wright was wrong choice, Wang is a short term solution....The pitching is in tatters. Brown, well what an a-hole...

W/O pitching your season is sunk...randy looks like he is done...his pitches are flat...

However, there maybe some yank magic left in the tank..you never know...especially when you are only 5 games out. But watch out, the sox are on a roll..

LL

JBF is right in that Matsui is the best guy to move for prospects. With Damon in the final year of his contract (and most likely going to be overpaid next year) and nursing a bum wing, I'd LOVE to see Matsui in a Sox uni. We have quite a few prospects you can choose from.

The GB figure doesn't tell the story. The pitching and defense isn't there. And the hitting, save a few explosions, doesn't get the job done. And above all, they're trying to win with a huge hole at 1B/DH since the whole offense was predicated on the hope Giambi would be 2000-2002 vintage.

Time to mention "he who shall not be named in trade talks", the man you have all been forgetting about.

DEREK JETER.

Yeah, he's the "face of baseball" to you Yankee homers. So what team willing to take on his salary (assuming the Yanks take a big bite out of it) would not want him to boost attendance? What team would not give up an absolute king's ransom to bring him in (as a player, not a salary figure, that is)? Jeter may be your most easily marketable player, if it is rebuilding you want.

So he's Yankee captain. So what? Bring him back as a coach at the end of his career. He hasn't done squat in 5 years, but unknowing teams would certainly pay up for him if the salary issue is resolved! :lol:

I agree 80, if the Yanks move Jetes this year, they can reasonably stand a chance of being VERY good next year. They'll get a sh*tload of prospects and big league talent for Capt. Overrated.

They can pretty much revamp their farm system from DEPLETED AS HELL to stockpiled with mega-talent. They can get left-handed pitching prospects and 5-tool position players. Not to mention, the minute he's traded, they will UPGRADE the SS position just by moving A-rod over a few feet.

If george can let go of Reggie...he can cut ties with Jetes! It would be tough on the fanbase...but deep down the legit Yankee fans (like Maxman, not yahoos like JonE and EB) know DJ is WAY overrated and the Yanks could easily afford to move him.

If they really want to retool...why not begin with the Capt???

Jeter and Arod are going NOWHERE. If you think Giambi's contract is untradeable, A-rod and Jeter's salaries are almost as bad. In this market, good as they are, nobody else is paying them that kind of money for that production except the Yankees.

Jeter and Arod are going NOWHERE. If you think Giambi's contract is untradeable, A-rod and Jeter's salaries are almost as bad. In this market, good as they are, nobody else is paying them that kind of money for that production except the Yankees.

Then what's left? The only player with value to match his salary is... Matsui.

If you want to salvage anything from this embarassing season, he needs to be traded. Now.

5 games out and everybody is waving their white towels?

cmon now, this is a joke. 5 games out is nothing, gimme a break with this crap now.

It'a not the 5 Games out ... this team was swept by the Royals and is 3-7 verses the D-Rays

And it was only one miracle inning that saved the Yankees from being swept by the D-Rays at home, in the Bronx, in a 4 Game series, and this verses a team that had previously won 5 Road Games all season!

Stick a fork in this team ... they're done

It'a not the 5 Games out ... this team was swept by the Royals and is 3-7 verses the D-Rays

And it was only one miracle inning that saved the Yankees from being swept by the D-Rays at home, in the Bronx, in a 4 Game series, and this verses a team that had previously won 5 Road Games all season!

Stick a fork in this team ... they're done

Knowing the Yanks they will probably step it up, sweep the Mets and everyone will be here proclaiming that THERRRRRREEEEE BAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKK. :D

The only good thing about this is that the Orioles keep losing. That series with the Birds next week could be telltale for the season.

Time to mention "he who shall not be named in trade talks", the man you have all been forgetting about.

DEREK JETER.

Yeah, he's the "face of baseball" to you Yankee homers. So what team willing to take on his salary (assuming the Yanks take a big bite out of it) would not want him to boost attendance? What team would not give up an absolute king's ransom to bring him in (as a player, not a salary figure, that is)? Jeter may be your most easily marketable player, if it is rebuilding you want.

So he's Yankee captain. So what? Bring him back as a coach at the end of his career. He hasn't done squat in 5 years, but unknowing teams would certainly pay up for him if the salary issue is resolved! :lol:

You know, I'm surprised more teams aren't kicking down Cashman's door trying to pry Jeter out of there. After all, Jeter carried the Yankees on his back to four World Series rings. Winning follows Jeter wherever he goes.

<snicker>

The "nice run" you sopke of died a few years ago (Anaheim; 2002 to be exact)

JBF, I know you hate the Yankees and you have lived for this day {when we suck}, but the run I refer to is not winning the WS every year ... no team can do that ... but this has been a 10 Year run of post-season play ... 10 consecutive seasons ... and that is damn impressive

Of course there was also 6 Pennants and 4 WS Titles mixed in as well

But when I say the run is over, I mean the run of PS Play

Just wanted to clear that up

JBF, I know you hate the Yankees and you have lived for this day {when we suck}, but the run I refer to is not winning the WS every year ... no team can do that ... but this has been a 10 Year run of post-season play ... 10 consecutive seasons ... and that is damn impressive

Of course there was also 6 Pennants and 4 WS Titles mixed in as well

But when I say the run is over, I mean the run of PS Play

Just wanted to clear that up

Ham

The Yankees team has flaws we all can agree. This is something I have been harping on for all the teams I root for - Jets, Mets , Rangers get younger and more hungy players with upside/ Develop the players from your farm system and to have a strong farm or minor league system is the way to continue succees.

Ham

The Yankees team has flaws we all can agree. This is something I have been harping on for all the teams I root for - Jets, Mets , Rangers get younger and more hungy players with upside/ Develop the players from your farm system and to have a strong farm or minor league system is the way to continue succees.

Yes faba, but it's tough to get started in doing that when your money is tied into so many aging veterans. Obviously it would be great to rebuild with some exciting young talent, but making deals to do that is damn near impossible anymore.

But we do know it's the only way for prolonged success in this era of baseball. After all, 23-year old David Wright is the Mets' most consistent hitter this season, and 22-year old Jose Reyes might just set the single-season triples record someday soon!

The only good thing about this is that the Orioles keep losing. That series with the Birds next week could be telltale for the season.

True, but remember, they did lose their last couple against the Blue Jays, a division opponent, so all that means is that the division will only be getting tougher to make it out of alive as it tightens more and more. The Orioles could very well sweep the struggling Braves this weekend.

True, but remember, they did lose their last couple against the Blue Jays, a division opponent, so all that means is that the division will only be getting tougher to make it out of alive as it tightens more and more. The Orioles could very well sweep the struggling Braves this weekend.

That is why baseball is a great game.

Archived