The Vikings Dock Williams a Game Check For Attending his Grandmother's Funeral-Classy

GLH222

"He had a family obligation that he had to see to," Childress said. "We sat down and talked on it before he left. ... He had to do what he had to do. Everybody handles that differently. [Williamson] had to do what his family situation called for."

Vikings suck. They should have supported him 100%. How should their players feel about this???

Total horsesh!t. Glad this isnt my team

What an idiot. You don't want to be a player's coach necessarily, but this is the absolute opposite extreme. No other coach would do this, not even Tom Coughlin who is known for throwing fines around. If I was the Vikings FO, I would force Childress to waive the fine and issue a public apology. If I'm an NFL FA, I don't sign with the Vikings because who knows what they'd to to me, since obviously they don't care about the players. No business would do that, that I know of. We've all had personal problems and had our companies give us the time off for something like this.

First let me say that I respect that he went to his grandmother's funeral.

BUT, he talked to the coach - apparently to get permission and failed to receive it. (not very nice - but that's business). He knew what the consequences of his actions was going to be - so by no means should he get paid for missing the game (that's also business).

Also, just a "fyi", the funeral was on Monday.

BUT, he talked to the coach - apparently to get permission and failed to receive it. (not very nice - but that's business). He knew what the consequences of his actions was going to be - so by no means should he get paid for missing the game (that's also business).

I'm surprised that since he made the arrangements he didn't have the funeral on Tuesday or Weds. so he could have both played ,and gone to the funeral. :-k

I'd say the ONLY issue is that Pat Williams supposedly played "shorter after" the funeral of a family member. In that case, isn't he being penalized for showing and playing if Williamson goes to the funeral without getting docked? I'd say no, that Williams played to avoid letting his teammates down. It somehow seems more heartless since Williamson makes less than half mill a year, but I guess he's already gotten a big signing bonus as a first rounder.

You are hiding behind the "business" concept and somehow trying to equate ethics and morality with...well I don't know what you are trying to do actually because it doesn't make much sense. So the business...can decide what "should" be done in an ethical situation because....it is a business? Why would you even type out something with that type of circular reasoning?

We, as non-businesses, but as human beings, are saying that ethically and morally this move is bad. We are saying that most people probably agree with this. And that seeing as treating players the way we expect them to be treated is not a concern of this franchise, that other players will not want to play for them. That is...pretty bad business, the not being able to get quality FAs thing. So not only is this a bad move in terms of general sensibility, in terms of "business" it is also a terrible move. Or are you going to claim an FA should sign with the team regardless of concerns because "the Vikings are a business?" That would be pretty nonsensical but seems like it fits your thinking.

Archived