LSU back to number one in the polls

faba

LSU takes over top spot of USA Today coaches' poll

td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }November 11, 2007

MCLEAN, VIRGINIA (TICKER) -- Thanks in large part to Illinois, Louisiana State is back on top of the USA Today coaches' poll, which was released Sunday.

The Tigers (9-1) moved up one spot to No. 1 in the rankings after beating Louisiana Tech, 58-10, on Saturday. LSU also benefited from the Fighting Illini's 28-21 upset victory over then-No. 1 Ohio State.

LSU, which dropped out of the top spot in the rankings following a 43-37 triple-overtime loss to Kentucky on October 13, garnered 35 first-place votes and 1,457 points overall.

ADVERTISEMENT

b?P=FSn7UNG_bvGp3QDLRg6JIAJ5xi0TJkc3YPAABfog&T=140milr8s%2fX%3d1194811632%2fE%3d95862503%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d4033154689%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d166FBFD1&U=13bsbnu9p%2fN%3dSlVMN9G_RvI-%2fC%3d625283.11672667.12182996.1414694%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d5009017With Saturday's shocking home loss, the Buckeyes (10-1) dropped six spots to seventh with 1,145 points. Illinois (8-3) moved into the rankings at No. 21 after the upset.

Taking over the second spot in the rankings is Oregon (8-1), which was idle. The Ducks received four first-place votes and 1,366 points overall.

Up a spot to third is Oklahoma (9-1), which posted a 52-21 home win over Baylor on Saturday. The Sooners received two first-place votes and 1,376 points.

Kansas (10-1) also moved up one spot to fourth with Saturday's 43-28 victory over Oklahoma State. The Jayhawks received seven first-place votes and 1,344 points overall.

The other first-place vote went to No. 5 West Virginia (8-1), which posted a 38-31 win over Louisville on Thursday.

Missouri (9-1) pulled away for a 40-26 win over Texas A&M on Saturday to move up one spot to sixth.

Rounding out the top-10 is Ohio State, Arizona State (9-1), Georgia (8-2) and Virginia Tech (8-2).

Texas (9-2) moved up three spots to 11th after a high-scoring 59-43 win over Texas Tech on Saturday.

The other unbeaten team, Hawaii (9-0), stayed 12th after escaping with a 37-30 victory at home over Fresno State.

Following Hawaii is Southern California (8-2) and Florida (7-3), which moved up four spots to 14th after defeating South Carolina, 51-31, on Saturday.

Boise State (9-1) also moved up four spots to 15th after crushing winless Utah State, 52-0, on Saturday.

Clemson (8-2) and Virginia (9-2) sit in ahead of fellow ACC team Boston College (8-2), which dropped 10 spots to 18th following its second straight loss, 42-35 to Maryland.

SEC teams Tennessee (7-3) and Kentucky (7-3) round out the top 20.

After Illinois, No. 22 Penn State (8-3) is ranked ahead of No. 23 Michigan (8-3), which lost to No. 24 Wisconsin (8-3), 37-21, on Saturday. Cincinnati (8-2) rounds out the top 25 after defeating then-No. 16 Connecticut, 27-3, on Saturday. In addition to Connecticut, Auburn and Alabama also fell out of the rankings

LSU has not played like a #1 team. If anything, Oregon should be #1.

LSU has beaten:

Auburn

Florida

Alabama

Virginia Tech

South Carolina

Oregon has beaten who, besides a down USC? A Michigan team that lost to a ****ing 1-AA school? Arizona State?

If LSU makes it to the NC game, they will wax whoever they play, just like Florida smoked "unbeatable" Ohio State last year.

:yawn:

We will see.

LSU has barely squeaked out wins, and Auburn and South Carolina arn't that good.

They've squeaked out wins against SEC competition.

I seem to recall them playing another top ten team in Virginia Tech in which no squeaking was involved.

They've squeaked out wins against SEC competition.

I seem to recall them playing another top ten team in Virginia Tech in which no squeaking was involved.

I'm sorry but the SEC card is utter bull****. The SEC isn't that much better than any other conference, it just has the whole 75 years of history so everyone wants to jump on its jock. In any other conference when a team end up getting 3 losses they suck. In the SEC its just how said the SEC teams beat each other up and its sooo hard.

I'm sorry but the SEC card is utter bull****. The SEC isn't that much better than any other conference, it just has the whole 75 years of history so everyone wants to jump on its jock. In any other conference when a team end up getting 3 losses they suck. In the SEC its just how said the SEC teams beat each other up and its sooo hard.

Or it could have something to do with the SEC's record in bowl games.

Or something to do with the SEC's record in OOC play.

Or something to do with the level of pro talent that comes out of the SEC each and every year.

Fun fact: Ten...TEN SEC teams this year are already bowl eligible.

Or something to do with the level of pro talent that comes out of the SEC each and every year.

Meanwhile, 3 of the top 5 BCS teams are from the Big 12. Bowl eligible is 6 wins. Big freakin' deal.

A conference's prior record in Bowl games has NOTHING to do with the current strength of the conference.

Given that, I would still rank the SEC as the top conference this year. Their balance throughout is the best. The Pac 10 and Big 12 are close though. It is not a landslide.

Big 10 this year is horrible. Big East is thin also. ACC- eh.

SEC has a fertile recruiting ground, and that helps them

Meanwhile, 3 of the top 5 BCS teams are from the Big 12. Bowl eligible is 6 wins. Big freakin' deal.

Seems like it may be set up to make the B12 Champ number 2 and leap over oregon.

If kansas beats both Mo. and OU, they'll likely jump over the Ducks.

If Kansas gets to thew Big12 CG undefeated and OU knocks them off, OU could be made #2.

Not having a CG will hurt the Pac.

Seems like it may be set up to make the B12 Champ number 2 and leap over oregon.

If kansas beats both Mo. and OU, they'll likely jump over the Ducks.

If Kansas gets to thew Big12 CG undefeated and OU knocks them off, OU could be made #2.

Not having a CG will hurt the Pac.

The thing is since we don't have a championship we play everyone in our conference every year which I like more. The problem is Oregon's schedule just ends against the crappier Pac-10 teams.

And speaking of the B12:

Big 12 fines Texas Tech coach $10,000 1 hour, 44 minutes ago

LUBBOCK, Texas - The Big 12 fined Texas Tech coach Mike Leach $10,000, the largest fine in conference history, for comments he made about officiating Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The fine was twice the previous high and announced Tuesday.

After No. 12 Texas beat the Red Raiders 59-43 Saturday, Leach condemned the officiating crew in Austin, calling their work during the game "a complete travesty."

The eighth-year coach was upset officials disallowed two Texas Tech touchdowns in the third quarter, the first on an overrule after reviewing video that showed the receiver let the ball hit the ground. A TD pass on the next play was negated by a holding penalty.

The only way Oregon should not be in the National Championship Game is if Kansas beats Mizzou and Oklahoma and if LSU wins out. At that point, I guess you'd have to give the nod to LSU who won another game and Kansas who is undeffeated. I really am hoping for a Kansas loss in one of their next two games. Oregon deserves this.

The only way Oregon should not be in the National Championship Game is if Kansas beats Mizzou and Oklahoma and if LSU wins out. At that point, I guess you'd have to give the nod to LSU who won another game and Kansas who is undeffeated. I really am hoping for a Kansas loss in one of their next two games. Oregon deserves this.

All I'm going to say is if Oregon gets screwed like they did in the 2001 season there will be serious problems. The only team that should jump us if we win out is an undefeated Kansas squad but that won't happen.

The SEC bowl records aren't more outstanding than anyone else. In fact, the Big 10 has put a hurt on them in recent years, and Iowa put in a lot of the work.

Check the SEC out of conference scheduling, and tell me how many of those teams will wander far from home. If you're good and you want to play an SEC team, very few of them will play you away from their house. When was the last time Georgia came west? When your out of conference schedules are featuring a yearly dose of Louisina monroe, Louisiana Tech, Tennessee Tech, etc...it's not something to broadcast.

A lot of NFL talent does come out of the SEC, but you can't overlook what programs like USC, Ohio State, michigan, Nebraska, and Texas have given to the NFL. I believe Miami leads the list with the most active NFL players. They are not an SEC program.

But, the SEC as a WHOLE is the BEST CONFERENCE. The SEC is not about one great team, its about a crapload of great and really good teams. I don't know if its whiny ND, Michigan or Rutgers fans that are ripping on the SEC all over or what, but the SEC is the most dominant conference, and the only reason that teams do not come out undeeated is because of the PARITY that compares even to the NFL. LSU is the best team, hands down. KU is a fluke, Oregon lost their other most important game this season, and, if anything, it will be Oklahoma playing in the National Championship, against LSU.

But, the SEC as a WHOLE is the BEST CONFERENCE. The SEC is not about one great team, its about a crapload of great and really good teams. I don't know if its whiny ND, Michigan or Rutgers fans that are ripping on the SEC all over or what, but the SEC is the most dominant conference, and the only reason that teams do not come out undeeated is because of the PARITY that compares even to the NFL. LSU is the best team, hands down. KU is a fluke, Oregon lost their other most important game this season, and, if anything, it will be Oklahoma playing in the National Championship, against LSU.

If your going to claim parity as a strength in the SEC you better not rip apart other conferences for it. The SECs whole teams beat each other up cause they are all so good but when other conferences do it they all suck is a joke of an argument. The SEC is just absurdly arrogant.

It's only because they beat up on each other??? Tennessee lost to Cal. Alabama lost to Florida State. Auburn lost to South Florida. All those teams have become mid or bottom feeders in their conferences, and not ranked in the BCS standings. Meanwhile, Auburn and Tennesse have national rankings, for the work they put in against the SEC, and Alabama just fell out of the rankings. That tennessee team that got embarrassed by Cal has a shot to win the SEC east.

Okay, here is my input, the fact that KU isn't #1 while LSU has nothing to do with comparing those teams head to head, but involves those teams past, you simply cannot give a team the #1 spot after one year of success, to much of a pole vault.

ANd going back to the first post by Troll, Arizona State, Michigan, and USC are better than Auburn, South Carolina, and Alabama. Combined.

And Va Tech isn't that good either, they aren't better than Arizona State

Archived