any reason jets did not make a bid on

afosomf

Because it made sense.

Why? He's a career underachiever and was changing positions. He got a $50M deal and almost $20M guaranteed. He only played tackle and basically sucked there. I'm pissed the Jets didn't make a play for more on the FA market but this guy was the wrong one to go after. I'd say A.Thomas would have been worth that kind of money for us, but Davis? No thanks. Hell, I'd have taken Colombo on his own line over him any day of the week for the Jets and he got under $10M for 2.

Why? He's a career underachiever and was changing positions. He got a $50M deal and almost $20M guaranteed. He only played tackle and basically sucked there. I'm pissed the Jets didn't make a play for more on the FA market but this guy was the wrong one to go after. I'd say A.Thomas would have been worth that kind of money for us, but Davis? No thanks. Hell, I'd have taken Colombo on his own line over him any day of the week for the Jets and he got under $10M for 2.

Have you watched him this year???

He is playing like one of the best guards in the league. It was a great idea Dallas had and they have executed it to perfection.

Have you watched him this year???

He is playing like one of the best guards in the league. It was a great idea Dallas had and they have executed it to perfection.

What does how he is playing this year have to do with giving him a big contract? The Cowboys had a pretty good running game last year too. Plugging Leonard Davis in does not give us the Cowboys running game and he would not put up with being switched to OG to keep Anthony Clement at T. I'll say it again, he sucked at tackle and he is overpaid. OK for a super bowl contender, not for the Jets.

yep, that is why pokes are best in NFC

and we are crap on a stick

No. That's bull****. You can't just say we'd be good if we had made a play for every high profile FA. The Jets underspent this year and I've called them out for it repeatedly. Not signing Leonard Davis' lazy ass to this ridiculous contract to switch positions was not a mistake. Not making a big play for Adalius Thomas, Colombo or any of a multitude of other FA and overrating our current talent is why we are crap on a stick.

Some teams have a better eye for fa talent, and plugging them into their system.

The Jets arent one of those teams.

You're a reasonable guy, do you honestly think Leonard Davis is the mistake the Jets made? He's not even symbolic of the Jets problems.

What does how he is playing this year have to do with giving him a big contract? The Cowboys had a pretty good running game last year too. Plugging Leonard Davis in does not give us the Cowboys running game and he would not put up with being switched to OG to keep Anthony Clement at T. I'll say it again, he sucked at tackle and he is overpaid. OK for a super bowl contender, not for the Jets.

No. That's bull****. You can't just say we'd be good if we had made a play for every high profile FA. The Jets underspent this year and I've called them out for it repeatedly. Not signing Leonard Davis' lazy ass to this ridiculous contract to switch positions was not a mistake. Not making a big play for Adalius Thomas, Colombo or any of a multitude of other FA and overrating our current talent is why we are crap on a stick.

You're a reasonable guy, do you honestly think Leonard Davis is the mistake the Jets made? He's not even symbolic of the Jets problems.

I'm making a point, we did nada while Pokes got Davis, Pats get stallworth/thomas/moss

we sign fringe Fa's which BTW are fringe!!!!!!!!!!!

Like i said, the ones they have brought in havent been real good, and they passed on some others who could have mAde an impact

I'm making a point, we did nada while Pokes got Davis, Pats get stallworth/thomas/moss

we sign fringe Fa's which BTW are fringe!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more with your point.

I just think Leonard Davis was a bad risk. He was monumentally overpaid and a major gamble. We discussed going after him during the FA period and very few guys that did more than read the FA list were interested. AZ didn't have much of a running game with him and they have James. I can see why we didn't go after Moss too. Adalius Thomas? That I don't understand. If I were going to overpay a guard, maybe Steinbach. They have plenty of cap space this upcoming offseason. They have apparently freed up some more by restructuring Coleman. They had better not only spend in FA this year, but they better have known which guys they plan to target since last year.

I couldn't agree more with your point.

I just think Leonard Davis was a bad risk. He was monumentally overpaid and a major gamble. We discussed going after him during the FA period and very few guys that did more than read the FA list were interested. AZ didn't have much of a running game with him and they have James. I can see why we didn't go after Moss too. Adalius Thomas? That I don't understand. If I were going to overpay a guard, maybe Steinbach. They have plenty of cap space this upcoming offseason. They have apparently freed up some more by restructuring Coleman. They had better not only spend in FA this year, but they better have known which guys they plan to target since last year.

yep throw steinbach in mix as well

Davis has been a roadgrader at guard and may make it to pro bowl

Yes, but he had only played tackle and had sucked at it. The Cowboys basically gave him 50 million dollars because he's fat and was a high draft pick. It seems to be paying off now but at the time it was a big gamble.

Yes, but he had only played tackle and had sucked at it. The Cowboys basically gave him 50 million dollars because he's fat and was a high draft pick. It seems to be paying off now but at the time it was a big gamble.

Yeah, fat and a high pick.:roll:

My God, do you not suspect that Dallas were on to something when they put him there?

They obviously were confident that he could succeed as a guard and they were right, they wouldnt have invested that kind of money in him without being well educated on him first. It was a risky but great move.

If Davis was too expensive for what he is, then what do you call trading for Thomas Jones and giving him an extension?

He's a useless running back on a team without an OL. He's an aging RB on a team that might be a few years away from anything.

You can't say Davis is overpriced and wouldn't help the Jets but at the same time claim the Thomas Jones trade and extension were good moves.

Yeah, fat and a high pick.:roll:

My God, do you not suspect that Dallas were on to something when they put him there?

They obviously were confident that he could succeed as a guard and they were right, they wouldnt have invested that kind of money in him without being well educated on him first. It was a risky but great move.

It's a lot easier to be "on to something" in the Cowboys position. The Cowboys already have a good run blocking line, he had to pull his (considerable) weight. If the Jets took Davis and stuck him between Mangold and Ferguson they MAY have improved the running game or his fat lazy habits may have resurfaced without any quality veteran presence to reign him in. They leave him at tackle and they have the Cardinals running game of the recent past. Not a good prospect.

If Davis was too expensive for what he is, then what do you call trading for Thomas Jones and giving him an extension?

He's a useless running back on a team without an OL. He's an aging RB on a team that might be a few years away from anything.

You can't say Davis is overpriced and wouldn't help the Jets but at the same time claim the Thomas Jones trade and extension were good moves.

I'm not in love with the Thomas Jones deal, but don't you think there is a difference between giving Jones $20M for 4 on a front loaded deal when you have cap space and giving Davis $50M for 5? Especially when RB generally gets paid a premium and OG should be among the lowest paid positions. I can say Davis was overpriced all day and defend the Jones deal, but I'm not a huge Jones fan, so I won't.

You want to complain? How about remembering the list of quality OG and T FA available and why the Jets didn't go after them? Not some fat lazy former high pick that is monumentally overpriced and changing positions. The Cowboys and Pats are doing great, it doesn't mean that the players those teams picked up were the right choices for the Jets. There are plenty of guys that signed with other crappy teams that would have improved the Jets.

Because our GM is stupid and our owner is cheap.

IMO this is the main reason. Woody is just plain cheap. That's why we don't have our own stadium. I used to hate the way Jerry Jones operated. Now I pray eveyday that he will buy the Jets. Give me an owner who really WANTS to win and puts his money where his mouth is. Talk is cheap Woody, just like you.

ask Cards fans about LD they will tell you he sucked - ask COwboys fans they will tell you he's great - the difference is that the Boys didn't use a high first round pick to get him.

Leonard Davis is the Drob of the offensive line

selected high, never lived up to expectations

but still among the league's most talented at the position, if you use him the right way

he's a player everyone wants to get rid of, until he's gone, then they can't find a replacement.

ask Cards fans about LD they will tell you he sucked - ask COwboys fans they will tell you he's great - the difference is that the Boys didn't use a high first round pick to get him.

Leonard Davis is the Drob of the offensive line

selected high, never lived up to expectations

but still among the league's most talented at the position, if you use him the right way

he's a player everyone wants to get rid of, until he's gone, then they can't find a replacement.

You honestly think someone will give DRob anything close to a $50M contract with $20M up front?

You honestly think someone will give DRob anything close to a $50M contract with $20M up front?

this is a DT market which has given Cornelius Griffin nearly 10 up front, so don't sound so shocked SE when Drob gets another large contract.

if D grade players get 10 mil, a B grade player could get 20. the DT market is ridiculous. if it weren't we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I don't love Drob as much as i hate the idea of replacing him... 2009 is a good draft for NT but 08 you are looking at mid rounders, essentially replacing Pouha not Drob.

Archived