Gerard "Big Money" Warren traded to Denver

RSJ

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2002441

Updated: Mar. 1, 2005, 2:06 PM ET

Broncos thin on defensive line

By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

Cleveland and Denver have agreed on a trade that would send Browns defensive tackle Gerard "Big Money" Warren to the Broncos for a fourth-round draft choice, but financial details remain to be completed.

Those details revolve around how, and how much, Warren will be paid in the final season of his original NFL contract. Denver officials, who apprised Warren's representative of the trade agreement on Monday evening, are to speak to agent Joel Segal on Tuesday in an effort to reach an accord.

Another issue that must be addressed is what position Warren will play in Denver as the Broncos switch to a 3-4 defensive front in 2005.

Warren is due a $1.3 roster bonus on Wednesday and a 2005 base salary of $950,000. While some reports indicate he is also under contract for the '06 season, Warren reached predetermined performance levels to void that portion of his deal.

It is believed that Warren, the third overall choice in the 2001 draft, will opt to play on a one-year contract, rather than seek an extension. That would make him eligible to be an unrestricted free agent next spring. In essence, the Broncos, desperate for defensive line help, would rent him for one season.

Cleveland officials last week granted Warren and Segal permission to discuss trade scenarios with potential suitors. The Broncos quickly made contact to indicate interest in the four-year veteran.

If the deal is completed -- and it can't be officially announced until Wednesday anyway -- Warren will be reunited with defensive line coach Andre Patterson, who coached him the past two seasons in Cleveland and recently joined the Denver staff. Patterson noted at the combine in Indianapolis last week that he is a huge Warren booster and conceded he was prodding his new Broncos bosses to acquire him.

"Nobody really understands him," Patterson said. "Is he the smart, intelligent guy you see on Monday, or is he the hip-hop gangster you see every Wednesday? I got to see the consistent guy every day in my meeting room, a guy that could pick up stuff."

Often criticized because his modest statistics never matched the huge investment that Cleveland had in him, Warren nonetheless is an intriguing player. The Browns have paid him a considerable sum in four seasons, including $11.6 million as a rookie.

Warren, 26, has appeared in 60 games and started all but one of them. He has recorded 152 tackles, 10

Boy, Cleveland has had some stellar #1 picks since they came back into the league.

Warren, Couch, Courtney Brown. Even the sure-fire star Winslow has had bad luck in Cleveland. Romeo sure has his work cut out for him.

Prok, you don't seriously belive that, do you?

I highly doubt that. 8)

If they trade William Green i'll be sweating bullets :lol:

Remember the fight that he and Joey Porter got into last year? That was classic Steelers/Clowns. :lol:

In all seriousness, the rivalry will never die.

If they trade William Green i'll be sweating bullets :lol:

Remember the fight that he and Joey Porter got into last year? That was classic Steelers/Clowns. :lol:

In all seriousness, the rivalry will never die.

I remember that fight. Good ole BC boy William Green can't even get himself on the field. Once he does, he gets in a fight and gets canned from the game. You gotta love his priorities.

I get the feeling Romeo is trying to get value for all the deal weight on the Browns and accumulate a lot of picks. I think this was a good move for the Browns.

Great post. Unfortunately, i have to agree with ya. It appears they have some real football people in charge their now. {insert puke emoticon here}

Great post. Unfortunately, i have to agree with ya. It appears they have some real football people in charge their now. {insert puke emoticon here}

:lol:

I agree, and if you can accumulate a lot of 3rd to 5th rounders in this draft you can fix some problems. Especially along the o-line.

Romeo knows dead weight for picks is always the best move. Look what happened when the pats let Lawyer milloy go...they didnt miss a beat. I am sure they wont miss law either. Slowly they are trying to cut away the "ME" players and replace them with team Players.

Romeo is gonna try and build Pats Team II. Let's see what other players get cut. Griffith being cut will save them $$$.

LL

Yea, RC can turn it around quickly if they use the draft wisely IMO. They have a damn good WR corps in place too! Just haven't had a coach utilize em' right.

This Dennis Northcut kid is fantastic IMO. Antonio Bryant and Andre Davis are rising stars as well. Thos guys all can beat ya deep IMO. I have no idea why they NEVER threw deep against the Steelers. Our secondary has long been our weak spot.

Archived