Arod crawling back to the Yankees? NYDAILYNEWS

Barton

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/11/14/2007-11-14_yankees_look_to_bring_arod_back__on_thei.html

Alex Rodriguez may be headed back to the Bronx after all -- but on the Yankees' terms.

Despite all of the back-and-forth posturing between the Yankees and A-Rod's camp, the Daily News learned today that the two sides have been discussing a deal for the past few days to keep the two-time MVP in pinstripes, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The biggest catch? The Yankees don't want agent Scott Boras involved in the negotiations.

A high-ranking Yankees source told the Daily News that the team is willing to bring Rodriguez back on a below-market contract, one that would make up for the $21 million subsidy from the Rangers that the Yanks lost when A-Rod opted out of the final three years of his contract.

In addition, the Yankees don't want to deal with Boras, who has been Rodriguez's agent since the slugger was 16 years old.

"We will not negotiate with Scott Boras," a Yankees source said. "He cannot be in the room."

The Yankees are also aware that Boras could convince Rodriguez to stop the talks. "We realize it could be a trap to get us back in the negotiations," said one Yankee official. "But we don't think that's the case."

Rodriguez apparently approached the Yankees through a third-party intermediary. "He went to them," said the source.

As the Daily News reported today, A-Rod will have to have person-to-person talks with the Steinbrenner brothers -- Hank and Hal -- before a deal can be sealed.

According to the first source, the Yankees are waiting for Mariano Rivera to sign a new contract before finalizing any plans with Rodriguez, who is expected to take a 10-year deal worth roughly $275 million. That would be about $75 million less than Boras has been looking for, though most industry insiders believe there was never going to be a $350 million offer out there for Rodriguez.

"Alex is going to be back with the Yankees," the source said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been made public. "The Yankees don't have a choice. How are they going to compete without Alex? They need him back."

After monitoring the third-base market, the Yankees apparently decided that Rodriguez was the best fit for them at third base. Mike Lowell is the only free agent of note, and his numbers were overwhelmingly better at Fenway Park last year than away from Boston.

Miguel Cabrera is the top name available on the trade market, but the Yankees were concerned about his work ethic and his habit of partying hard, something that dissuaded them from dealing for the talented 24-year-old slugger.

Rodriguez opted out of the final three years and $91 million of his contract on Oct. 28, prompting the Yankees to hold their stance that they would not negotiate with him as a free agent. The Yankees never even had a chance to make their offer, as Boras had told the Yankees it would take a minimum offer of 10 years and $350 million to get Rodriguez to meet with club officials face-to-face.

A second Yankees source said that the team believes A-Rod is trying to restore his image, which has taken a beating since Boras announced the opt-out during Game 4 of the World Series.

By taking a contract below market value, Rodriguez would be showing fans that it wasn't all about getting the most money, and that he truly wants to finish his career in pinstripes.

"Alex likes to be the center of the universe," the source said. "He wants to be a part of the Stadium going down and the opening of the new one. It's not about money. It's about his face being everywhere. This is the only stage that can guarantee that."

"Most of this is about Alex trying to salvage his image," said another source close to the negotiations. "He's upset over the way this whole thing has played out and the way he's being portrayed now, because of Boras."

So lets me get this straight here......

1. Arod opted out from the Yankees contract 3 weeks ago.

2. Expected to cash in on the FA market w/a 300 million dollar contract

3. Saw that no team was going to give him said 300 million dollar contract

4. Is now crawling back to the Yankees because he sees there is no market for him at all.

F this POS phony BS artist. Shut the door on this dooshe bag, please.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he accepts arbitration and comes back on bended knee, it makes a world of sense for both parties. The Yanks need a powerhitting 3b, he lives in NY and nobody else is going to meet the nonsense contract prices Boras told him were coming his way.

what they should do is sign him for the regular season, then bench him in the post season. At least we won't have to listen to him choke at the end of every season, and the yanks would have a legit shot at actually winning a playoff series or two.

So lets me get this straight here......

1. Arod opted out from the Yankees contract 3 weeks ago.

2. Expected to cash in on the FA market w/a 300 million dollar contract

3. Saw that no team was going to give him said 300 million dollar contract

4. Is now crawling back to the Yankees because he sees there is no market for him at all.

F this POS phony BS artist. Shut the door on this dooshe bag, please.

Yet inspite of Hanks' tough talk the Yanks are entertaining giving him 275 million dollars.:)

Not sure who is eating the crow here.

I would take him back in a NY minute! At least we (talking as a Yankees fan) wouldn't have to give up any of our young talent, especially pitchers for the likes of Cabrera.

Hey, the guy comes with a circus, but at least he puts on a good show. Law of averages says Yanks win a WS (perhaps more than one) if he signs a long term deal.

I would take him back in a NY minute! At least we (talking as a Yankees fan) wouldn't have to give up any of our young talent, especially pitchers for the likes of Cabrera.

Hey, the guy comes with a circus, but at least he puts on a good show. Law of averages says Yanks win a WS (perhaps more than one) if he signs a long term deal.

Agree.

"Alex is going to be back with the Yankees," the source said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been made public. "The Yankees don't have a choice. How are they going to compete without Alex? They need him back."

If this source is legite, this sounds like a done deal.

The Yankees would look like a bunch of assclowns if they let Arod back after all the BS the last 3 weeks and signed him to a ridiculous 10yr/275 million contact. That would be a huge mistake.

I dont want to offer him anything, not a single penny, but for the sake of arguement, IF I HAD TO OFFER HIM A REASONABLE CONTRACT, then this is what I would offer A-Fraud: A 4 yr deal for 15 mill a year. That is it, a 4 yr/15million dollar deal. Nothing moire, not a single penny more.

And I'd tell him to take it or shove it up his a**. Lets have some damn spine for once and stick to what we said - if he opts out, we are done with him - no more damn going back on our word. He opted out, therefore he can go screw himself. Let him rot in his mansion.

We do not need him. And we can replace his production with 2 or 3 new players, easily.

The Yankees would look like a bunch of assclowns if they let Arod back after all the BS the last 3 weeks and signed him to a ridiculous 10yr/275 million contact. That would be a huge mistake.

I dont want to offer him anything, not a single penny, but for the sake of arguement, IF I HAD TO OFFER HIM A REASONABLE CONTRACT, then this is what I would offer A-Fraud: A 4 yr deal for 15 mill a year. That is it, a 4 yr/15million dollar deal. Nothing moire, not a single penny more.

And I'd tell him to take it or shove it up his a**. Lets have some damn spine for once and stick to what we said - if he opts out, we are done with him - no more damn going back on our word. He opted out, therefore he can go screw himself. Let him rot in his mansion.

We do not need him. And we can replace his production with 2 or 3 new players, easily.

Agree but curious as to who the 2-3 new players would be.....also how are they aquired, trade, FA signing?

Agree but curious as to who the 2-3 new players would be.....also how are they aquired, trade, FA signing?

If I'm not mistaken, the Yanks offered him an extension around the range of 5 years, 150 mil. It would be in A-Rod's best interests to take it, because I sincerely doubt he'll receive an offer of anything more than 150 million from any other club, and that includes the Dodgers, Angels, Cubs, etc. Unless he is deadset of being out of the New York media spotlight, he would be stupid to not take that offer. He's not going to get 300 million from anyone, because people simply have to look at the Rangers and how much they tanked after they gave him that 252 million dollar contract, which they're still paying for. Ask Tom Hicks whether he wishes he had signed A-Rod all those years ago.

Barton, I can understand where you're coming from, but this is the best player in the game. Has he set the playoffs on fire with the Yanks...hell no. But, you know what, most of the times it's the little guys that become heros during those games...guys like Bucky Dent, Brian Doyle, Billy Martin, Bobby Richardson just to name several...my hero growing up was Mickey Mantle...never was he a WS MVP.

And look at this years Boston Red Sox...did Big Papi or Manny win it? No, Mike Lowell did.

I'm a forgiving guy and a long time Yankees fan...I would welcome him back yesterday.

I think he will resign with the Yankees eventually, but not now. He would be an idiot to sign a deal before the market has even gotten started. He will be one of the last free agents signed, not the first. Doesnt make any sense to sign now.

Has ARod ever made any sense in his actions? I am with you in that I would wait but maybe there is no 300 mill market and he knows the Yanks will throw 250 or so his way.

Win-Win for both the Yanks and ARod while we discuss Torrealba.:)

Has ARod ever made any sense in his actions? I am with you in that I would wait but maybe there is no 300 mill market and he knows the Yanks will throw 250 or so his way.

I agree that Arod never makes sense, but this just smells of a way to get the Yankees to drive his price up... I dont believe for a second that Boras isnt scripting this whole thing. just cant see him signing before Lowell or other top FA's. I think once the top players start signing you will see a huge market for Arod. Just hope the mets stay out....

And Yay Torrealba!!!! but Castro no!! I cant root for that big head anymore.

This is absoloutely hilarious. Talk about eating crow. Does this mean Borass doesn't get a cut of the money ?

Well, actually the Yankees cannot exclude Boras from the negotiations.

It is against the Collective Bargaining Agreement between owners and the union. "Once a player designates an agent, a club cannot refuse to meet with that agent."-Michael Weiner, the general counsel of the players' union.

The only way around this is if ARod fires Boras. Otherwise Boras will be there for the negotiation process.

Gimme that is why I like you. You are fair and that Mets line was hysterical!

Yes he can easily be replaced with 3 players. I wonder if the Yankees request to bat 12 guys this year has been approved yet.

My God, you are such an Arob knob slobbler. Didnt you say last week it was the best move to let him go?

And a 12 man lineup wouldnt score more runs, dooshey.

Archived