Someone grab Garb...Troy Brown is reportedely going going go

PFSIKH

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sources close to Brown said he would like to return to the Pats, but only for a fair-market contract. In the meantime, no one should be surprised if Bill Parcells in Dallas or Romeo Crennel in Cleveland takes a run at the 12-year veteran

Tuna is a backstabbing MOFO!!

I loke the fact that Pretty Tommy is about to get paid, all while the Pats are dropping salary all over the place.

Ships sinkin'

A QB that leads a team to three SB's and is the MVP of two is going to get paid. Heck, Penny got paid and what has he done?

They are dropping salary. This era of football demands it. Yet, I'm still very sad about the whole Troy Brown situation. The Pats philosophy is to draft smart players, to sign players that love family, God and Football. They want a team of players that will sacrifice their individual stats for the good of the team. They want TEAM guys. They promote the whole "we" mantra. Well, someone please explain to me why they would let the epitome of TEAM go? I understand the money stuff and yes, I know that 5 mil towards the cap for an aged player is probably not the most fiscally reponsible thing to do. But sometimes I think you should just do the right thing. Sometimes you make an exception for a player that has been exceptional for 12 years.

I'm still al little upset over the whole thing. Can you tell? :?

Sources close to Brown said he would like to return to the Pats, but only for a fair-market contract. In the meantime, no one should be surprised if Bill Parcells in Dallas or Romeo Crennel in Cleveland takes a run at the 12-year veteran

Tuna is a backstabbing MOFO!!

I wonder what a fair market price is? Vet minimum plus makeable incentives?

I loke the fact that Pretty Tommy is about to get paid, all while the Pats are dropping salary all over the place.

Ships sinkin'

Yep, ship's sinking alright.

Pats get rid of players (regarless of their past performance) who have negative cap numbers to free up money to sign/extend players who are critical to their future success.

Sounds like a pretty solid business plan to me.

Maybe the Jets should try that some day.

:o:o:o

I wonder what a fair market price is? Vet minimum plus makeable incentives?

I mentioned this yesterday. Bledsoe is going to want his binkie (Troy Brown) back. Tuna has always brought older players into the fold (Dave Meggett anyone?)

Speaking of Meggett - he's the offensive coordinator at American Internation College in Springfield, MA. He was hauled into court a few months back for non child support of the two children he fathered while playing for the Pats. Yup, two different women - neither of whom was actually his wife....

Yep, ship's sinking alright.

Pats get rid of players (regarless of their past performance) who have negative cap numbers to free up money to sign/extend players who are critical to their future success.

Sounds like a pretty solid business plan to me.

Maybe the Jets should try that some day.

:o:o:o

Yep,

The more the Pats coninue to treat their players like sh*t, the more F/A's want to go play for them. :o:o:o

PS

It is sh*tty what they did to brown

The guy takes one for the team, switches positions without the chance for bonus', and Puke boy cuts him.

I hope the rest of the NFL players read through the lines there!!

Yep,

The more the Pats coninue to treat their players like Sh#t, the more F/A's want to go play for them. :o:o:o

PS

The guy takes one for the team, switches positions without the chance for bonus', and Puke boy cuts him.

He was not going to reach the incentives anyways. Givens and Branch have overtaken him on the field. Troy can still be a valuable player, but you do not pay a third string wideout $5.5 million.

I think the players understand that football is a business. I truly believe it is the fans that get emotional - take me for example.

So, JonE - I was going to invite you over to watch the new DVD with me - but I'm guessing that's out of the question! :lol:

Yep,

The more the Pats coninue to treat their players like Sh#t, the more F/A's want to go play for them. :o:o:o

PS

Yea, so lets pay him $5.7 mil for being a great guy.

See, right there is the difference between the Pats and the Jets.

Pats are forward thinkers, the Jets always operate in the past.

Good luck with that strategy.

Yea, so lets pay him $5.7 mil for being a great guy.

See, right there is the difference between the Pats and the Jets.

Pats are forward thinkers, the Jets always operate in the past.

Good luck with that strategy.

It's easy to take this view, as a fan, after 3 Rings in 4 seasons.

Other teams do exactly the same thing (jettisoning older, high-priced fan-favorite talent for cap space) but they DON'T win. So the fans there don't have the comfort level to be so blase about the break with a favorite player (like Brown).

So while I agree 100% with the logic of your position Tex, you have to admit that 3 rings in 4 seasons makes it ALOT easier to have faith in ownership, and less loyalty to players, and more to management.

He was not going to reach the incentives anyways. Givens and Branch have overtaken him on the field. Troy can still be a valuable player, but you do not pay a third string wideout $5.5 million.

No doubt at all

But the Pats should have honored at least one of his receiving incentives JUST for playing DB last season

Classless move by the organization in my book.

No doubt at all

But the Pats should have honored at least one of his receiving incentives JUST for playing DB last season

I can't say that I disagree with what JonE says here. After everything that Troy Brown has sacrificed, the team should give him "thank you" money.

Christ Almighty! I just agreed with JonE....

No doubt at all

A move that IMO will come back to haunt the organization when trying to acquire new blood!!

It's a cut throat business. But so slash the throat of a 12 year vet it lowest of the low

Now, all can change IF the Pats renegotiate, and keep #80 until he hangs 'em up.

BUt the Tuna is out there, lurking :lol:

It's easy to take this view, as a fan, after 3 Rings in 4 seasons.

Other teams do exactly the same thing (jettisoning older, high-priced fan-favorite talent for cap space) but they DON'T win. So the fans there don't have the comfort level to be so blase about the break with a favorite player (like Brown).

So while I agree 100% with the logic of your position Tex, you have to admit that 3 rings in 4 seasons makes it ALOT easier to have faith in ownership, and less loyalty to players, and more to management.

I hear what you are saying Warfish, but Ham said it best yesterday.

Fans need to root for teams, and not players.

Loyalty in the NFL is a thing of the past (thanks to the salary cap).

But you are right, 3 out of 4 reallys helps going with that kind of mentality.

I can't say that I disagree with what JonE says here. After everything that Troy Brown has sacrificed, the team should give him "thank you" money.

Christ Almighty! I just agreed with JonE....

Garb, you sound like a Jet fan.

I'm sure Brady will appreciate Brown's "thank you" money. :wink:

A move that IMO will come back to haunt the organization when trying to acquire new blood!!

It's a cut throat business. But so slash the throat of a 12 year vet it lowest of the low

Now, all can change IF the Pats renegotiate, and keep #80 until he hangs 'em up.

But the Tuna is out there, lurking :lol:

I disagree. Players today KNOW it's a business, and KNOW that their "Thank You" is best found in the size of their signing bonus when the sign their contract.....not anytime later.

Players also know that the Pats are a team dedicated to winning at all costs, even at the sacrifice of fan-favs, old vets and underperformers. Top-Flite FA's don't view themselves as ANY of those three, so they will not fear it happening to them.

If the Jets were so dedicated....both Chrebet and Martin would likely be gone (or, in the case of Martin, making MUCH less money) today.

I feel gay for having to quote "You've got mail.", but here goes....

"It is not personal. It is business."

There is no gray area here it is clearly black and white. If the Patriots give Troy his money, that sets a precedent that can not be undone.

How does that make Bruschi feel for taken a home time discount?

Maybe Brady tries and get a few extra dimes inhis contract.

What about Branch, Givens, Seymour and Vrabel to name just a few who all warrant a pay raise?

While Brown being cut sucks, it was a necessary evil needed to keep the needs of the team outwiegh the needs of the one.

Tx, I will always be a hard core Pats fan. But, I can't help but feel that Troy Brown has been wronged here. Of course, I'm rather biased because he has been my favorite player for a very long time. Still, and although I do not entirely agree with JonE assertions that this will effect the Pats ability to sign FA's - what sort of message does this send to the young players on the team? Hey - be a team first guy and you will probably win a lot of games - but don't expect loyalty...

I've said all along that there ar only two Patriots where financial reason shoudl be thrown out the window - Troy Brown and Tedy Bruschi. The Pats organization can, and SHOULD, work something out. Troy Brown should retire a Patriot. Shame on the Pats if (when? :cry: ) he does not.

Tx, I will always be a hard core Pats fan. But, I canlt help but feel that Troy Brown has been wronged here. Of course, I'm rather biased because he has been my favorite player for a very long time. Still, and although I do not entirely agree with JonE assertions that this will effect the Pats ability to sign FA's - what sort of message does this send to teh young players on the team? Hey - be a team first guy and you will probably win a lot of games - but don't expect loyalty...

Loyalty vs Productivity.

It might not pay to be loyal, but it pays to be productive.

Tx, I will always be a hard core Pats fan. But, I can't help but feel that Troy Brown has been wronged here. Of course, I'm rather biased because he has been my favorite player for a very long time. Still, and although I do not entirely agree with JonE assertions that this will effect the Pats ability to sign FA's - what sort of message does this send to the young players on the team? Hey - be a team first guy and you will probably win a lot of games - but don't expect loyalty...

I've said all along that there ar only two Patriots where financial reason shoudl be thrown out the window - Troy Brown and Tedy Bruschi. The Pats organization can, and SHOULD, work something out. Troy Brown should retire a Patriot. Shame on the Pats if (when? :cry: ) he does not.

I'm sure Seymore will give the "home team" discount

Did you hear the cracking sound??

I'm sure Seymore will give the "home team" discount

Did you hear the cracking sound??

Seymour is more of the mold of a Ty Law than a Tedy Bruschi. He'll be looking for the big paycheck, no doubt....he already has his rings.

Still, as long as BB an TB at at the helm, any cracks will be super-glued pronto!

Loyalty vs Productivity.

It might not pay to be loyal, but it pays to be productive.

This is funny....This guy takes a paycut and let's the team give him an incentive laced contract and the because the played D for the pats he never reached any of his incentives and now they cut him??

Talk about getting s*tted on.

I hear you Garb, and as I have been saying, I still think Brown ends up back with the Pats.

BTW, has Brown said anything publically about all of this? I can't find anything.

This is funny....This guy takes a paycut and let's the team give him an incentive laced contract and the because the played D for the pats he never reached any of his incentives and now they cut him??

Talk about getting s*tted on.

Nice spin.

He was not going to reach his incentives anyways.

Troy was clearly the third wideout. His days of catching 90 passes are gone. Branch is the goto guy. Givens is clearly the #2. Even if he did not play DB, he would have been lucky to break 30 catches.

With Patten gone, Bethel unpredicatble and PK Sam an unknown - The Pats need a third receiver....

Then again, Ben Watson, TE extraordinaire (as long as he remains healthy) is like having an extra wide out....

Listen, BB and Pioli know a lot more than me. It just hurts to have my favorite player go.

Nice spin.

He was not going to reach his incentives anyways.

Troy was clearly the third wideout. His days of catching 90 passes are gone. Branch is the goto guy. Givens is clearly the #2. Even if he did not play DB, he would have been lucky to break 30 catches.

That my friend is patriot propaganda

That my friend is patriot propaganda

Ok you do the math.

Since Brown's 97 recptions in 2002, Givens 28 Games-17 starts 90 catches-1384 yards-9 TDs; Branch 24 games-21 starts 92 catches-1257 yards-7 TDS; Troy 24 Games-10 starts 57 catches-656 yards-5 TDs. How am I wrong?

Or some more for you over the last two seasons, Graham 68-773-11 TDs; Faulk 74-688-1; Patten 53-940-7 and Fauria 44-480-4.

Troy's time has come and gone and if you are saying he is worth $5.5 million in 2005, you are crazy or flat out stupid.

Archived