The Terry Bradway era.....

JonEJet

was a complete and utter disaster. What we see on the field today is a result of what Bradway did in the draft

Another kick in the nuts from the 'ol draft guru

No argument here.

The last good draft the Jets had was 2000.

was a complete and utter disaster. What we see on the field today is a result of what Bradway did in the draft

The reality is, the Jets 2007 Offense is at least half Magini and Tanni's players. So you can't blame Herm or Bradway for the mess this offense has become.

Look at it this way.

QB= New

RB= New

OL= Mangold, DBRick, Clarke, were not starters in 2005 or here.

Add Smith, Washington, and even Cotchery since he didn't play and suddenly you start to blame this current regime for this offense..

I can't condemn Bradway for the way this offense plays or the players they have.. The reality is, the majority of this offense, is Mangini and Tanni's, not Bradways.

The reality is, the Jets 2007 Offense is at least half Magini and Tanni's players. So you can't blame Herm or Bradway for the mess this offense has become.

Look at it this way.

QB= New

RB= New

OL= Mangold, DBRick, Clarke, were not starters in 2005 or here.

Add Smith, Washington, and even Cotchery since he didn't play and suddenly you start to blame this current regime for this offense..

I can't condemn Bradway for the way this offense plays or the players they have.. The reality is, the majority of this offense, is Mangini and Tanni's, not Bradways.

All of this is true, but the point is, it would have been nice to have some good players here. You're right, their weren't any, and Man & Tan have done a sh*tty job in acquiring/developing them.

What about the defense?

All of this is true, but the point is, it would have been nice to have some good players here. You're right, their weren't any, and Man & Tan have done a sh*tty job in acquiring/developing them.

What about the defense?

The defense is mostly Herm and Bradways players still. And they sucked in 2005.. But I don't know, players like Vilma, Abraham, Rhodes all were pretty good during that era. They had issues and problems, but besides 2005, the Jets defense was always a reason the team stayed in games... The offense wasn't much different than it was today.

I wish I could see good things in the future, but I don't see any sort of plan. It's almost like this regime does things and hopes they work out, instead of actual planning. Or maybe they were just arrogant and think the Jets were just as good as the Pats.

All I know is that the Pats lost the AFC Championship game and went out and traded for a ton of WR' or signed them, and signed defensive players...

The Jets on the other hand, dumped Kendall, signed scrubs, and traded for a 29 year old RB that needs a great OL..... It seems to me Mangini and Tanni are far more arrogant than they should be and it shows by how bad the Jets are this year. Maybe this will be a wake up call to them..

But who knows cause in all honesty, when you are calling the same plays with KC or CHad, something is wrong.

I"d rather see KC throw for 300 yards, have 2 TDs but 4 interceptions in a game he attempts 40 passes. They are playing as if Chad is still the QB.........At some point, since they are already 2-9, you have to open up the playbook and see what KC can or can't do..

Because right now, it's like they still think Chad is QB.

To be fair, Bradways drafts were actually pretty solid overall.

The problem he had was his HC Hermy didnt play the best players, the QB tore his rotator cuff ruining his career, and he let go too many of his own players thru free agency and didnt replace them. And his negligence of the Oline over the years was probably his biggest mistake.

TB has been gone as GM for 2 years, what we saw on the fild on thursday was a result of the current regime. The TB era was the most successful in jets history, no other regime made the playoffs 3 times and we had to re-tool after each of the playoff years so basically we made it 3 times w/ 3 almost completely different teams. TB left the current regime w/ alot of talent, they managed to use it well last year and screw some things up this year b/c they got full of themselves.

Terry Bradway still has a major impact on who the Jets draft. He is chief of scouting, or some similar title.

Tannenbaum, by his own admission, is very weak in rating college players

Not busting your balls here but did you ever see Tannenbaum really admit that? Being serious. That would be bad if the GM of the Jets on Draft Day said,

"Well Mel not sure what we are going to do. Terry will have a lot of input because I have to admit I am very weak when it comes to rating these college kids".

:P

the other night at the bar while on break this guy was telling a few of us how all the bad stuff happening now is because of Bill Clinton and NOT George W Bush and all the good stuff that happened during the 90's was a result of Reaganism-because there is a 10 year lag...

the crappy product we are seeing on the field this year is the fault of Eric Mangini, Mike Tannenbaum, and Woody Johnson's

the other night at the bar while on break this guy was telling a few of us how all the bad stuff happening now is because of Bill Clinton and NOT George W Bush and all the good stuff that happened during the 90's was a result of Reaganism-because there is a 10 year lag...

the crappy product we are seeing on the field this year is the fault of Eric Mangini, Mike Tannenbaum, and Woody Johnson's

In terms of economics, the lag isn't 10 years. But as far as the Jets...

The crappy product we're seeing on the field is a combination of things from both this regime and the one prior:

- lots of the talent we had was either getting too old by 2005-2006 or their salaries/baggage would have been out of proportion with their production:

Law

Fabini

Mawae

Fergie

Barton

Donnie Abe

John Abe

Chrebet

Martin

- loss of decent talent we drafted/acquired without adequate replacement:

Justin McCareins instead of Santana Moss;

Adrian Jones/Anthony Clement instead of Kareem McKenzie;

Adrian Clarke/Jacob Bender instead of Pete Kendall;

Sione Pouha/James Reed instead of Jason Ferguson;

Dave Szott/Brandon Moore instead of Randy Thomas

- trading away day-one or multiple draft picks for players who didn't pan out nearly as well as the FO thought the player would (*or who were outright busts):

DSlob

*Justin McCareins

*Doug Jolley

*Kevan Barlow

Thomas Jones

- picking the wrong guys to give sizable &/or mega-contracts to (*and the trading of high draft picks to acquire), which prevented the signing of other players then that would still be useful or stars today:

Curtis Martin

Shaun Ellis

Chad Pennington

Justin McCareins

Bryan Thomas

*DRob

Wayne Chrebet

Jason Fabini

Aaron Beasley

Sam Cowart

David Barrett

*Justin McCareins

*Thomas Jones

Case in point: from 2003-2004 alone, we signed contracts allotting some
$70M in bonus money
to DSlob ($15M), Pennington ($23M), Ellis ($15M), McCareins ($6M), Barrett ($5M), and Cowart ($5M).

We also used two first rounders & a 4th-rounder to move up to #4 overall to select DSlob, and a high 2nd-rounder for McCareins. Two firsts, a second, and a 4th. AND $21M in bonus money. For DSlob and McCareins.

So smoke on that when bringing up what a wonderful GM Terry Bradway was.

- bad FA (*or RFA) signings of significance:

Kimo

*JMac

Barrett

Blaylock

- also note the lack of premiere FA's brought in:

Ty Law, coming off injury & past his prime, but was at least worth the shot;

Eric Barton was a good one;

Pete Kendall was a good one;

Donnie Abraham was decent;

Andre Dyson was at least good last year;

Who else is there that we brought in over the past 4-5 years?

- draft day reaches:

Bryan Thomas (2002 rd 1)

DRob (2003 rd 1 x 2 plus a 4th - anyone who shoots up draft charts because of combine results should give a good GM pause)

McGraw (2002 rd 2)

Hobson (2003 rd 2)

Nugent (2005 rd 2)

Askew (2003 rd 3)

Pouha (2005 rd 3)

Schlegel (2006 rd 3)

Pociask (2006 rd 5; late round I know but this guy wasn't even expected to get drafted)

Summary of above:

Four round 1 picks --
FOUR!!!

Three round 2 picks

Three round 3 picks

And for that we got:

DRob

McGraw

Hobson

Nugent

Jolley

Askew

Pouha

McCareins

Schlegel

Mix in some of the bad coaching decisions & gutless play-calling decisions to the above...and is it any wonder we're a laughingstock?

This kinda put my breakfast in my mouth, because it was all so unnecessary. Add in those wonderdrul day trades involving Nugent and Jolley and to a lesser extrent Revis, and it's holes galore. Bradway allowed Randy Thomas and Kareen Mckenzie to walk away like they were replacebale spare parts.If it's one this Bradway and Edwards seem to have beqeathed to Tannebaum and Mangini, it's the idea that you can let OL tlaent walk and not worry about it. It's like there's a sign soemwhere out at Hofstra that went up the day Parcells left-"OL-Who cares?". How many more Clarkes, Benders, Jones, Cvakas do we have to go through before we see that allowing guys like Kendall, Mckenzie and Thomas-solide, servicable vets- to walk over pennies is moronic?

- trading away day-one or multiple draft picks for players who didn't pan out nearly as well as the FO thought the player would (*or who were outright busts):

DSlob

*Justin McCareins

*Doug Jolley

*Kevan Barlow

Thomas Jones

In terms of economics, the lag isn't 10 years. But as far as the Jets...

The crappy product we're seeing on the field is a combination of things from both this regime and the one prior:

- lots of the talent we had was either getting too old by 2005-2006 or their salaries/baggage would have been out of proportion with their production:

Law

Fabini

Mawae

Fergie

Barton

Donnie Abe

John Abe

Chrebet

Martin

DSlob

*Justin McCareins

*Doug Jolley

*Kevan Barlow

Thomas Jones

- picking the wrong guys to give sizable &/or mega-contracts to (*and the trading of high draft picks to acquire), which prevented the signing of other players then that would still be useful or stars today:

Curtis Martin

Shaun Ellis

Chad Pennington

Justin McCareins

Bryan Thomas

*DRob

Wayne Chrebet

Jason Fabini

Aaron Beasley

Sam Cowart

David Barrett

*Justin McCareins

*Thomas Jones

Case in point: from 2003-2004 alone, we signed contracts allotting some
$70M in bonus money
to DSlob ($15M), Pennington ($23M), Ellis ($15M), McCareins ($6M), Barrett ($5M), and Cowart ($5M).

We also used two first rounders & a 4th-rounder to move up to #4 overall to select DSlob, and a high 2nd-rounder for McCareins. Two firsts, a second, and a 4th. AND $21M in bonus money. For DSlob and McCareins.

So smoke on that when bringing up what a wonderful GM Terry Bradway was.

- bad FA (*or RFA) signings of significance:

Kimo

*JMac

Barrett

Blaylock

- also note the lack of premiere FA's brought in:

Ty Law, coming off injury & past his prime, but was at least worth the shot;

Eric Barton was a good one;

Pete Kendall was a good one;

Donnie Abraham was decent;

Andre Dyson was at least good last year;

Who else is there that we brought in over the past 4-5 years?

- draft day reaches:

Bryan Thomas (2002 rd 1)

DRob (2003 rd 1 x 2 plus a 4th - anyone who shoots up draft charts because of combine results should give a good GM pause)

McGraw (2002 rd 2)

Hobson (2003 rd 2)

Nugent (2005 rd 2)

Askew (2003 rd 3)

Pouha (2005 rd 3)

Schlegel (2006 rd 3)

Pociask (2006 rd 5; late round I know but this guy wasn't even expected to get drafted)

Summary of above:

Four round 1 picks --
FOUR!!!

Three round 2 picks

Three round 3 picks

And for that we got:

DRob

McGraw

Hobson

Nugent

Jolley

Askew

Pouha

McCareins

Schlegel

Mix in some of the bad coaching decisions & gutless play-calling decisions to the above...and is it any wonder we're a laughingstock?

Thanks Sperm!

POTW nom

I think both Brad Smith and Eric Smith were reaches last year. They both may work out but I dont think either one was on many, if any, draft boards at that point in the draft. I was seriously bumming at that point as I was following along at home - they had taken Sclegel just before these two guys.

So David Harris and Darrelle Revis is a terrible draft? What about D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Leon Washington, Brad Smith and Nick Mangold?

Brad Smith was not a good draft pick at this point. He's made a few plays, but so far he's a good special teams player but an awful WR. There was no reason to take a project that early. This team was just purged of a tremendous amount of talent. They needed new players, not new projects.

Ferguson has not proven to be worth the #4 overall pick (and $18M bonus $) at this point.

Revis was a solid pick at #15. But we didn't pick at #15. We selected him instead of a player at #25 and a 2nd-round talent. Even if you like the pick, we still managed to screw that up by giving him a contract where he'll make $30-36M over 6 years when the going rate for the #15 pick was $15M over 5 years.

Schlegel wasn't just a bust -- he was an enormous reach and a bust, and we passed up on a true nose tackle to select this scrub instead.

Eric Smith I thought was a reach. But as I understand, many NFL scouts had him pegged as a 4th-rounder. So the last pick in round 3 may not make him a reach.

Pociask shouldn't have even been drafted. Let alone a 5th-round pick with decent talent still on the board in what was a special draft.

Thomas Jones was worth neither the mid/high 3rd-round value we gave up to get him (which necessitated losing still more picks in the trade-up for Harris instead of just selecting him with our original pick), nor the contract he was given. A $12M signing bonus for a decent but not great 29 year-old RB on a team that can't run-block?

So David Harris and Darrelle Revis is a terrible draft? What about D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Leon Washington, Brad Smith and Nick Mangold?

Show me where I said it was terrible? I didn't.

Last year and this year were decent. WE NEED PLAYERS, not a player here and a player there. and 2000 was the last good draft we had. all of the Herm year drafts sucked.

Brad Smith was not a good draft pick at this point. He's made a few plays, but so far he's a good special teams player but an awful WR. There was no reason to take a project that early. This team was just purged of a tremendous amount of talent. They needed new players, not new projects.

Ferguson has not proven to be worth the #4 overall pick (and $18M bonus $) at this point.

Revis was a solid pick at #15. But we didn't pick at #15. We selected him instead of a player at #25 and a 2nd-round talent. Even if you like the pick, we still managed to screw that up by giving him a contract where he'll make $30-36M over 6 years when the going rate for the #15 pick was $15M over 5 years.

Schlegel wasn't just a bust -- he was an enormous reach and a bust, and we passed up on a true nose tackle to select this scrub instead.

Eric Smith I thought was a reach. But as I understand, many NFL scouts had him pegged as a 4th-rounder. So the last pick in round 3 may not make him a reach.

Pociask shouldn't have even been drafted. Let alone a 5th-round pick with decent talent still on the board in what was a special draft.

Thomas Jones was worth neither the mid/high 3rd-round value we gave up to get him (which necessitated losing still more picks in the trade-up for Harris instead of just selecting him with our original pick), nor the contract he was given. A $12M signing bonus for a decent but not great 29 year-old RB on a team that can't run-block?

That is the problem I've had with this regime so far.. It's like they don't have a set plan.. They just put their hand in some jar and hope something good comes out.

Mangold was a good pick but they did dump an often injured often malcontent JA to get that pick... I loved the trade but considering they have yet to replace JA, is a concern.

Washington and Smith are nice special teams players, but at this point, that's all they are. Washington gets what, maybe 2-3 carries per game and a pass or two. Blame coaching or what not, the reality is he's not a great pick if he rarely plays. I'd say he's a great special teams player, but Justin Miller was pretty good last season, so it's not like they gained anything.

DBrick, i'm not even going to talk about the guy. If he were taken at 29 or in the second round, nice pick. Being he was taken 4th, he just looks avg and I'm not sure there is any more upside at this point. We heard "a guy who would anchor this line for years" and after almost 2 seasons, he looks like a guy who will be a decent enough player, but he's more Pete Kendall than Orlando Pace. Nothing wrong with that, just another safe pick... If he were a QB or RB, most people would be calling him a bust already.

I'd rather they go for talent and skill in the first round and then OL, DL in the other rounds. We've seen the safe "best team fit" player taken for awhile now....

I can not honesty say the draft has been great because if you look at this team, the defense still stinks and the offense still stinks. Drafting great means improving something, not saying maybe if we add this and that in 2-3 years it'll be better.

Archived