A&M gets a new coach

JetCane

Sherman to succeed Franchione as Texas A&M coach

Houston Texans assistant Mike Sherman will be introduced as Texas A&M's football coach at a noon ET news conference Monday, a source close to the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad.

The Houston Chronicle first reported the story on its Web site Monday morning.

Sherman declined comment Sunday on reports that he was Texas A&M's leading candidate to replace Dennis Franchione, who resigned Friday following the Aggies' 38-30 victory over Texas.

Sherman, who turns 53 on Dec. 19, has been the Texans' assistant head coach for two seasons under Gary Kubiak, a former A&M quarterback. Sherman became the offensive coordinator this season.

When Sherman left the Texans' locker room after Sunday's loss to the Cleveland Browns, he was trailed by several reporters who asked for comment on the Texas A&M situation. He politely declined, saying he would only talk about the loss.

Earlier, Houston owner Bob McNair addressed Sherman's status.

"I think the report says he may be the leading candidate,'' McNair said. "They [Texas A&M] haven't called me. That's not to say they haven't called someone in the organization. I don't think they could find anyone better. He's an outstanding coach. We certainly would not stand in his way.''

Like Kubiak, Sherman has A&M ties. He was the Aggies' offensive line coach from 1989-93 and then in 1995-96 under R.C Slocum. Kubiak coached A&M's running backs in 1992 and '93.

Sherman coached the Green Bay Packers from 2000-05, guiding the team to three NFC North titles. Under Sherman, the Packers produced two of the four highest-scoring seasons in franchise history.

The Aggies went 32-28 in five seasons under Franchione and couldn't gain ground on the Big 12's elite teams. A&M hasn't won the league title since 1998.

---------------------

Also, Dook fired their HC as did GT.

Archived