If I were in charge of the trade:

wang

melky

kennedy

good prospect

for

santana

less known prospect

I seriously doubt that Minnesota is that stupid. Going after a sinker baller to pitch on turf is like going after a fly ball pitcher to pitch in Texas or Colorado. Wang is nowhere near as good on turf as he is on grass. His lifetime ERA is almost 5.00 on the fake stuff and 3.58 off of it.

I would have to guess that you would be in charge of that trade as a Yankee fan.

Minnesota is going to want TOP LINE prospects.

Start with Hughes or Chamberlain, and barter and add on from there.

The funny part is I wouldn't even give up what he suggested. The Yankees shouldn't put all their eggs in one proverbial basket.

I seriously doubt any team will be giving up their #1 pitching prospect for Santana, among other pieces. Yankees are not going to trade Joba, Hughes or Cano. And I doubt the sox trade Bucholz or the dodgers trade Kershaw.

I could see Wang/Melky/Tabata. Hopefully we keep Wang too though.

I seriously doubt that Minnesota is that stupid. Going after a sinker baller to pitch on turf is like going after a fly ball pitcher to pitch in Texas or Colorado. Wang is nowhere near as good on turf as he is on grass. His lifetime ERA is almost 5.00 on the fake stuff and 3.58 off of it.

Minny's new stadium will be grass.

I seriously doubt any team will be giving up their #1 pitching prospect for Santana, among other pieces. Yankees are not going to trade Joba, Hughes or Cano. And I doubt the sox trade Bucholz or the dodgers trade Kershaw.

I could see Wang/Melky/Tabata. Hopefully we keep Wang too though.

A prospect is merely that, a prospect.

Santana is proven goods.

If you are able to sign a contract extension with him (heck, what's another 140 million to the Yankees, who have already parted with a 1/3 of a billion $), it is a worthwhile trade.

Right now, the New Boss is the same as the Old Boss. Hank Steinbrenner is grabbing the headlines, making team statements, and I am sure Brian Cashman is just rolling his eyes.

Hank seems to love the newfound spotlight, and if it will be business as usual for the Yankees in that mode, prospects are something that are merely bargaining chips.

We will see.

I would rather see the Yankees deal Wang than Kennedy. Just do not give up Hughes, Joba or Robby and I'm happy with the deal.

LOL....Wang has won more games than anyone in MLB the past two seasons and Kennedy has pitched what 19 innings? When you get a vendetta against a player it knows no bounds.:)

LOL....Wang has won more games than anyone in MLB the past two seasons and Kennedy has pitched what 19 innings? When you get a vendetta against a player it knows no bounds.:)

Hey, I love Wang. He has been by far my favorite pitcher on the Yankees, minus Rivera of course, for the past few seasons. However, with the opportunity to get Johan Santana, the Twins are probably going to want a young pitcher plus an expierenced once. I have no problem giving up Wang if it is for Santana. Now if this was for anyone else, I'd probably have a problem with it.

Hey, I love Wang. He has been by far my favorite pitcher on the Yankees, minus Rivera of course, for the past few seasons. However, with the opportunity to get Johan Santana, the Twins are probably going to want a young pitcher plus an expierenced once. I have no problem giving up Wang if it is for Santana. Now if this was for anyone else, I'd probably have a problem with it.

I misunderstood you. Thought you said you'd trade Wang b4 you would deal Kennedy.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I still think the Twins have enough young pitching that the Yanks may get this done without Joba and Hughes.

The reason why Santana is out there is because they can't afford to pay him...so, forget about the Yanks putting Cano out there because the Twins couldn't afford him...whoever gets Santana will put together the best prospect package.

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Twins have opened trade discussions for Johan Santana by asking the Yankees for a package of at least three young players that would include one of their three top starters -- Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy -- plus center fielder Melky Cabrera.

The Twins are talking with several teams and are asking for a large return for their two-time Cy Young winner. From Boston, they asked about one of two top young pitchers -- Clay Buchholz or Jon Lester -- plus center field prodigy Jacoby Ellsbury, league sources told SI.com.

The Mets, Dodgers, Angels and Mariners are seen as other potential big players for Santana, who went 15-13 this season with a 3.33 ERA. The Twins began canvassing prospective suitors after their extension offer of $80 million over four years fell well short of Santana's expectations. The 28-year-old ace with the 93-44 career record is slated to make $13.25 million in 2008 and is eligible for free agency after the season.

Santana has a full no-trade clause and can control where he goes. Word is, he has interest in New York, but the Red Sox, Dodgers and Angels have to be considered attractive options.

While talks are said to be in the preliminary stages, there could be the makings for a deal with the Yankees. They are telling people that Chamberlain is untouchable, but if there's a chance to get Santana, they might consider moving either Hughes or Kennedy. The stock of all three pitchers rose this year as they made their major-league debuts.

The Red Sox are believed to have made Ellsbury off-limits, which could complicate their chances. They have Coco Crisp to offer, but the Twins would likely prefer the Yankees' Cabrera to Crisp. Boston is unlikely to surrender Buchholz, who threw a no-hitter as a rookie this year, but might have to consider giving up Lester if they have a chance at Santana.

The Mets' chances may be hindered by the falling stock of their top pitching prospects, Mike Pelfrey and Philip Humber.

The Dodgers and Angels have a lot of top prospects. But top Dodgers people have been quoted lately suggesting they may not make any major player moves and the Angels are involved in talks regarding star third baseman Miguel Cabrera.

It will be interesting. Boston has the slightly better package to offer as I think Ellsbury is more highly regarded than Melky but both the Yanks and Sox can get Santana if they want.

Franseca was saying to Heyman today on the FAN that the Twins GM would be best served playing the Yanks against the Sox till one caves. BTW, I was lessed than impressed with Heymans take on certain trades/signings Franseca brought up to him. Maybe he's just a bad interview but he came off a little lacking on the pulse of MLB.

Mike asked him about a Rowand signing if Melky was dealt and he basically said he hadn't thought of that and when pressed said he felt he wasn't worth the cash. He's correct on the money part but that has never stopped the Yankees plus the guy can flat out play CF.

Yanks would be flat out nasty with a staff led by Johan and Rowand roaming CF.

Santana

Pettitte

Chamberlain

Wang

Kennedy-Moose-Pavano.

That's a sick rotation even if Hughes is the arm traded as you have to admit Santana is a sure thing and Rowand is a upgrade over Melky hands down. The price tag would be Hughes-Melky a prospect(supposedly the Twins love this OF named Jackson in the Yanks system) plus the cash to sign both Johan and Rowand. For the Yanks I think it's a no brainer and Pettitte's decision likely being the only thing making them hesitant on sending Hughes off.

Boston's rotation if say Ellsbury-Lester and prospects left would look like,

Santana

Beckett

Schilling

Dice

Bucholtz- Wakefield.

On the Mets front:

Heilman-Gomez-Milledge-Pelfrey for Johan?? Hopefully we get Haren as not sure we have the goods for Johan.

but his era is 3.98 in domes. With an ERA of 2.57 in the Metrodome.

:)

As long as we dont trade Hughes, Joba or Cano then I am down with Johan.

If he does get traded this offseason, he'll be a Yankee. :)

Add to that that we have to have a good plan to replace Melky as well...

Unless we throw Damon in the deal, then it may be OMGWOW

Add to that that we have to have a good plan to replace Melky as well...

Unless we throw Damon in the deal, then it may be OMGWOW

And who will pay Damon's salary? This is exactly why they want young prospects that are making almost the minimum...they can't afford the Santana's, Hunter's, etc., of the world...just thank your lucky stars that you're not a fan of a team like the Twins because as soon as their top players are eligible for the big pay day, they unload them.

what about all those pitcher who pitched a few games and didn't suck for us last year... like uhh clippard and rasner and de salvo(or some****) Lets give the twins all of those guys igawa and melky. That's 4 starting pitchers and a starting cfer.

what about all those pitcher who pitched a few games and didn't suck for us last year... like uhh clippard and rasner and de salvo(or some****) Lets give the twins all of those guys igawa and melky. That's 4 starting pitchers and a starting cfer.

The Twins young pitchers blow those pitchers away.

How about the Yanks just offer them Pavano and pay his salary. Igawa and Mleky....:)

I hate to say it, but if this trade does happen, it's bad for baseball

I know the Yanks and Sawx have an unfair advantage with their $$$$$, but this would be over the top if either grabbed Santana

Wait a second, you think that currently the system is equal, but a Santana deal would push it over the top?

Really?

Kennedy-Wang-Melky-Lower level prospect (not Tabata or Jackson).

That's the ceiling of my offer for Santana. I do not believe the BoSox give Ellsbury, or the Dodgers give their kid pitchers. If Minny says no, then he will be a FA after 2008.

Santana had a bad September this past year. He has gotten worse each September the past 4 season down. This from a 2nd half pitcher!! He has thrown 900+ innings the past 4 seasons. I wonder how dominant he will be in 2010 and beyond. I would rather take my chances with Hughes, Joba and Kennedy if Minny turns down the above trade. I really believe the 3 kids will be really good soon, and will be as good, if not better than Santana by 2010. I think Johan starts to break down in 2 years, and becomes merely " good".

Kennedy-Wang-Melky-Lower level prospect (not Tabata or Jackson).

That's the ceiling of my offer for Santana. I do not believe the BoSox give Ellsbury, or the Dodgers give their kid pitchers. If Minny says no, then he will be a FA after 2008.

Santana had a bad September this past year. He has gotten worse each September the past 4 season down. This from a 2nd half pitcher!! He has thrown 900+ innings the past 4 seasons. I wonder how dominant he will be in 2010 and beyond. I would rather take my chances with Hughes, Joba and Kennedy if Minny turns down the above trade. I really believe the 3 kids will be really good soon, and will be as good, if not better than Santana by 2010. I think Johan starts to break down in 2 years, and becomes merely " good".

Wang won't be in the mix...the Twins can't afford him. That's the whole point of this trade if it goes down. The Twins want prospects (top level guys) that aren't breaking any banks...if any of these guys turn out to be major league talent in a few years, the Twins will unload them before they would have to pay them...just like they're doing with Santana and Hunter.

Archived