RIP...my brother!

NIGHT STALKER

Jimmy (SoFlaJets) PM'd me a little while ago and confirmed that it was his brother Carlo that had just passed away. Baptized Wayne DiBattista, he was known to his vet friends as Carlo. Carlo and I never met, but we developed a friendship (thanks to Jimmy) over the net and at times spoke to each other over the phone.

We shared a common bond...not just Nam vets, but having served in the same unit...the Screaming Eagles (101st Airborne Div)...Carlo was a Green Beret and I was a Ranger. We may have humped the same trails, rode on the same choppers and more than likely participated in the same battles...but, we never met.

Carlo and I planned to meet each other last March for a demonstration in DC...but as fate would have it, Carlo couldn't make it. I called him on his cell phone while I was there and I could tell he was having one of his bad bouts with "hell" as we vets call it. Some of us (and I like to feel I'm in that catagory), can control our physical and mental scars from that war...some of us could not and Carlo was one of those vets. Please don't look down upon him for that because combat has a way of taking an innocent young man and turning him into a person you wouldn't recognize. We live combat everyday...it's your worst nightmare multiplied a thousand times over...complete horror.

One of Carlo's last emails to me (about three weeks ago) was about a museum that they are planning on building across from the Vietnam Memorial...we had planned to see that together. http://www.tvworldwide.com/showclip.cfm?ID=8579&clip=2

As a tribute to Carlo, I will wear my 101st A/B cap to the game on Sunday...a cap I only wear on Memorial day and Veteran's Day and this fellow "Screaming Eagle" and Jets fan will have that honor.

So, take a minute and say a prayer for Carlo...pray that he finally has found that peace that he searched for since returning home from that God awful place known as Vietnam. Rest my "brother", for we will always be Brothers Forever!

dibattistagq1.jpg

Carlo is on the right...

BS, that's POTW WINNER right there. Beans can finish the POTW thread today and take Thursday off.

i figured the voting on Beans' part would be over by the time he got half way done with the post. My nomination for it was only a formality. :)

I posted a video on thanksgiving of a 6 year old child who got a surprise visit from his dad after a 7 month tour in Iraq. I don't think I've ever seen anything so moving as that in my life. That video reminded me of something that we all tend to lose sight of at times, and we need to try alot harder to remember and respect.

We all are grateful for soldiers making the sacrifice for us, but we tend to narrowly view that sacrifice as putting their life on the line and nothing else. While putting your life on the line is an unimaginable sacrifice alone, we should remember that along with that comes the sacrifice of being away from those who love and depend on them. Also, the sacrifice of their lives being changed forever, usually not for the better. They take on the hauntings of the horrors they see and go through their entire lives trying desperately to suppress them. There is just so much more to their sacrifice than just the possibility of losing their lives.

They do all this without looking for praise or accolades. In fact, most soldiers I come across seem almost uncomfortable when given such. While they may be the last to admit or acknowledge it, they are heroes to all of us who take our liberties for granted.

Jim's brother made that sacrifice for all of us. What he dealt with even after the war is unconscionable to the rest of us. We can not possibly fathom the horrors that he dealt with. Just remember, he dealt with those horrors for us. He was and is a hero, and I thank him for serving.

Rest In Peace Wayne 'Carlo' DiBattista

Great job Bill, thanks for the info. We all owe a great deal of gratitude to everyone who and continues to put their lives on the line for all of us. Jimmy, you should be very proud of your brother, may he rest in peace. We'll have a toast to Carlo at the tailgate on Sunday!

Archived