06' Draft re-do: Jets pick Mario?

R44

This is a good writer, Lance Z., but I really don't like his '06 draft re-do (draft re-do is at the base of the page). Thought I'd add it, just to see what folks think.

http://ourlads.com/sideline.cfm?ID=111707

Comments:

**First of all, it's too early to do an effective draft re-do, so I'll cut him slack....Who knows, maybe Kellen Clemens will be better than Cutler....then again, using that logic, maybe Andy Phillips (Yankees) will be a 5 time MLB all-star before his career ends?

**Although Mario Williams is probably treated unfairly by Texans' fans (he's improved this season and they seem to expect too much from him), I think the Jets would've have to be insane to select Williams over Cutler, if they really got to re-do that draft today...banned.gif

**And the idea that Vince Young, who has really struggled the last 8 or 9 weeks, has actually enhanced his draft stock since he was picked (from #3 to #1 overall) seems silly...While agree Shaub hasn't done much, I'm not sure Young is better...

**The Bush thing is a joke (although there is some truth to the marketing spark he brought in 2006) and I seriously doubt the Packers regret picking A.J. Hawk over Laurence Maroney....Hawk has been a leader on a suddenly great defense, while Maroney has been "okay"....

1. Texans - Vince Young: While VY certainly has his issues I still think the Texans would prefer to work with him within that offense and keep the two 2nd round picks they gave up for Schaub.

IMO, they would pick Williams again. He has become a real force in a front 7 that will be very scary in a few years. This team is heading in the right direction.

2. Saints - Reggie Bush: Remember that the Saints were trying to recover from the effect of Katrina and Bush has meant so much to their marketing that I don't think they would change a thing.

Personally I think the Saints would look for a running back who can run. IMO they would pick Joseph Addai, way more proven in this league than Bush.

3. Titans - Joseph Addai: The Titans drafted Lendale White in the 2nd round of the 2006 draft but in my scenario, I would have the Titans figuring out their running game with Addai.

LOL, they'd have Kerry Collins at QB.

4. Jets - Mario Williams: While Texans fans are disenchanted with Williams, the Jets would love to have Williams since he would be a perfect fit in their 3-4 scheme.

I would love Mario Williams on this team. I have been very impressed with what I've seen in him think he'd be awesome at 3-4 LB.

5. Packers - Laurence Maroney: The Packers have needed a good running back for awhile now and the size/speed of Maroney would be a great fit for the Packers.

Can't believe I'm going to even dignify this with a responce but FLORENCE MARONEY???? The guys can't stay frickin healthy and why oh why would they pass on Hawk who has helped turn their D into a top 5 unit. This is an outrageously bad pick, I'd take MJD before I'd take this injury prone POS.

6. 49'ers - Marcus McNeil: The 49'ers offensive line has been a problem for them and with McNeil on the board here, I think they would grab him to help protect Alex Smith.

Hmmmm, Maybe.

7. Raiders - Jay Cutler: The Raiders should have taken Cutler with this pick in the first place and this time around they grab the cannon-armed Cutler to lead the offense.

Well, at this time they wouldn't have had Russell so this would have been a decent choice for Oakland, Al davis would love his arm.

8. Bills - A.J. Hawk: The Bills need for a LB was a given in 2006 and Hawk has been rock-steady since he came into the league. Hawk fits great with Bills defensive scheme.

LOL at the fact that Hawk would even be here. IMO they'd draftLeinart or Cutler if available, this is a team in dire need of a QB.

9. Lions - Ernie Sims: My guess is that the Lions are still happy with what Sims has given them so far. Donte Whitner would also be a possibility here.

Yup, agreed.

10. Cardinals - D'Brickashaw Ferguson: They really needed a tackle back in 2006 and if "Brick" were there they would be all over him.

Yeah, if available the Crads would have picked D'Brick, they need someone who can pass block and D'Brick has really come along in that area.

Green Bay picking Maroney over Hawk is weird...Makes little sense, other than to assume Maroney is better than what the Packers have currently. Now that "might be" true, but he shouldn't be picked at the expense of Hawk...

Maurice Drew, Chad Greenway and Demeco Ryans and Ngata are all worthy 2nd year players, too. Greenway is being compared to a young Derrick Brooks by Vikings coaches, but he missed his rookie season (ACL tear), so he's below the radar a little...

By the way, the writer forgot a huge name -- Devin Hester!!!!

He could be the best kick/punt returner in N.F.L. history....He's currently on track to shatter every KR and PR record...Wayne Gretzky of return men?

Green Bay picking Maroney over Hawk is weird...Makes little sense, other than to assume Maroney is better than what the Packers have currently. Now that "might be" true, but he shouldn't be picked at the expense of Hawk...

Maurice Drew, Chad Greenway and Demeco Ryans and Ngata are all worthy 2nd year players, too. Greenway is being compared to a young Derrick Brooks by Vikings coaches, but he missed his rookie season (ACL tear), so he's below the radar a little...

By the way, the writer forgot a huge name -- Devin Hester!!!!

He could be the best kick/punt returner in N.F.L. history....He's currently on track to shatter every KR and PR record...Wayne Gretzky of return men?

r44= any word on tim hightower rb Richmond U for draft slot

Ngata would be the only reasonable choice over D'Brick. Williams as the perfect 3-4 LB is a joke. There's nothing about him that screams 3-4 OLB to me. Maybe he could've been a good DE but that would've severly handicapped his strengths as a player. This guy doesn't really know what he's talking about here.

r44= any word on tim hightower rb Richmond U for draft slot

I've actually seen him play, as SNY broadcasts C.A.A. games....

I hadn't heard much of him until this year, but he's a creating a small buzz. He's sort of a fullback/halfback tweener, who has been unstoppable this season. He's also a very productive receiver out the backfiled. On the 1-aa level, he looks like a young Ricky Williams.

The announcers for the game I saw (as well as others) say it will come down to how fast he runs....they seem to feel he's not that fast, so if that's true he'd have to bulk up and play fullback fulltime, which would hurt his draft chances a bit. But if he's faster than expected, he could surprise and be seen as a combo-back.

Let's be honest, if former Richmond quarterback Stacy Tutt (Jets) can hang around the NFL as a fullback, there is no doubt Hightower can too, even if he's not that fast......

I've actually seen him play, as SNY broadcasts C.A.A. games....

I hadn't heard much of him until this year, but he's a creating a small buzz. He's sort of a fullback/halfback tweener, who has been unstoppable this season. He's also a very productive receiver out the backfiled. On the 1-aa level, he looks like a young Ricky Williams.

The announcers for the game I saw (as well as others) say it will come down to how fast he runs....they seem to feel he's not that fast, so if that's true he'd have to bulk up and play fullback fulltime, which would hurt his draft chances a bit. But if he's faster than expected, he could surprise and be seen as a combo-back.

Let's be honest, if former Richmond quarterback Stacy Tutt (Jets) can hang around the NFL as a fullback, there is no doubt Hightower can too, even if he's not that fast......

he may be a good pick in 5th rd, i have seen in person, he seems fast to me

i have no idea what 40 time is.

How is Mario Williams a perfect fit for the 34? Where has the evidence that he'd be a perfect fit in the 34? He's a very good 43 Defensive End. In the 34? He's Shaun Ellis part two. I'd say I'd have to go Cutler, Mangold and Marcus McNeil.

How is Mario Williams a perfect fit for the 34? Where has the evidence that he'd be a perfect fit in the 34? He's a very good 43 Defensive End. In the 34? He's Shaun Ellis part two. I'd say I'd have to go Cutler, Mangold and Marcus McNeil.

LOL, Shaun Ellis part 2????

He is so much quicker and faster than Ellis it's not even comparable. The guy is great in run support too. I've watched a lot of Texans this year and he really can do alot.

Archived