Speeding Ticket - Question

Green DNA

OK, I got nailed going 74 in a 50 mph zone on the way home last night. I have questions about the speed, but hey the radar is never wrong, (right?) and I can't smile like Mrs. Tabor to catch a break.

* Does anyone have experience calling their bluff and going to court? I'm sure the cop doesn't want to show up in court and I'll bet that 95% of people just pay the ticket, which is pretty good completion % as far as he is concerned. If he's not there, does it get dismissed? I got the ticket within NYC limits.

* More than the fine (see below) this is a 6 point hit on my license (assuming I plead guilty or it doesn't get dismissed), 4 of which can be removed by taking a 6 hour safety class. Does anyone know an instructor that offers an accelerated class, say like 10 minutes? I used to get certificates from a guy that actually got run over and killed by a drunk driver, which is pretty ironic when you think about it.

* The effin ticket is $90, but jumps to $140 when you add the $50 surcharge!! WTF??, the surcharge is printed on the ticket permanently so why do they call it an effin surcharge???? Make the the ticket $140 for god's sake and stop insulting our intelligence.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Challenge it. Nothing to lose. I got a $230 speeding fine 2 years ago by allegedly going 82mph in the middle lane, 65mph speed limit. I challenged it and I got notice it was being dismissed. I guess he never really had the radar on. This was in CT, not sure if it would be the same elsewhere.

Good luck.

OK, I got nailed going 74 in a 50 mph zone on the way home last night. I have questions about the speed, but hey the radar is never wrong, (right?) and I can't smile like Mrs. Tabor to catch a break.

* Does anyone have experience calling their bluff and going to court? I'm sure the cop doesn't want to show up in court and I'll bet that 95% of people just pay the ticket, which is pretty good completion % as far as he is concerned. If he's not there, does it get dismissed? I got the ticket within NYC limits.

* More than the fine (see below) this is a 6 point hit on my license (assuming I plead guilty or it doesn't get dismissed), 4 of which can be removed by taking a 6 hour safety class. Does anyone know an instructor that offers an accelerated class, say like 10 minutes? I used to get certificates from a guy that actually got run over and killed by a drunk driver, which is pretty ironic when you think about it.

* The effin ticket is $90, but jumps to $140 when you add the $50 surcharge!! WTF??, the surcharge is printed on the ticket permanently so why do they call it an effin surcharge???? Make the the ticket $140 for god's sake and stop insulting our intelligence.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The cops show up almost 90% of time, it is like a day off for them

your best bet is see the cop and plead guilty to say 64 which may reduce the amount of the fine... if you have a clean record... he may even drop it

to under 60 mph

Appear in court. Tell the judge you want a deposition as to the issuance of the ticket. He'll order the cop to produce one and set a trial date. If the cop fails to produce the deposition, or fails to appear, move for dismissal. You'll get it.

Oh, and don't drive 74 in a 50 zone.

do a massive google search defend yourself speeding radar i once found a great site with strategies where it even tells you how to subpeona the radar gun calibration records you have rights and you basically want to be a constant pain in the ass until someone slips up and no shows

Challenge it. Nothing to lose. I got a $230 speeding fine 2 years ago by allegedly going 82mph in the middle lane, 65mph speed limit. I challenged it and I got notice it was being dismissed. I guess he never really had the radar on. This was in CT, not sure if it would be the same elsewhere.

Good luck.

I am of a mind to challenge it. My point would be that I was in the middle of a pack of cars all going approximately the same speed and that the radar is too erratic to pick me out of the pack. Maybe it won't fly, but that's the story I am going with.

The cops show up almost 90% of time, it is like a day off for them

your best bet is see the cop and plead guilty to say 64 which may reduce the amount of the fine... if you have a clean record... he may even drop it

to under 60 mph

He made a point to tell me that there was no plea bargaining in his jurisdiction. He was very polite and said that since I seem like a nice guy, he would advise taking the class to reduce the points. If I was such a nice guy he would have reduced the speed on the ticket in the first place. He seemed a little light in his loafers and if I had a mod in the car, maybe ld have worked something out ;)

Yes.

You can try to gamble with the court date. Ask for an adjournment, and maybe he wont show up at the next scheduled court date.

Do they allow you to adjourn traffic court dates? I thought they just assigned them and that's that.

Read thru the page I linked. It will answer a lot of your questions.

I just did and it is pretty comprehensive, thanks! While taking the time to go to court is a hassle, it may be worth it from a points and insurance perspective. If it doesn't work, at least I can get some satisfaction in knowing that I fought "the man" and didn't take it lying down.

Net time you get pulld over for speeding, ask to see the radar gun showing that speed. If it's not locked in, they can't issue the ticket. If they do, it's easily dismissed in court. You'll really piss them off, but it works. I've done it twice now and got away both times.

Since ou are already in the jam, definitely dispute it in court. In your first court date, ask for a dismissal if the cop doesn't show. If he does, ask for all records for the calibration of that radar gun. I believe they must be recalibrated weekly. If it wasn't, argue that.

ALSO!! This is very important!! Call the police station regularly and ask for the officer. Eventually you'll figure out what day is his day off. When rescheduling your court date, aim for his regular day off. He won't show.

Net time you get pulld over for speeding, ask to see the radar gun showing that speed. If it's not locked in, they can't issue the ticket. If they do, it's easily dismissed in court. You'll really piss them off, but it works. I've done it twice now and got away both times.

Since ou are already in the jam, definitely dispute it in court. In your first court date, ask for a dismissal if the cop doesn't show. If he does, ask for all records for the calibration of that radar gun. I believe they must be recalibrated weekly. If it wasn't, argue that.

ALSO!! This is very important!! Call the police station regularly and ask for the officer. Eventually you'll figure out what day is his day off. When rescheduling your court date, aim for his regular day off. He won't show.

Thanks, this is good to know. I imagine that asking to see the gun would get the guy nuts and it may be a hit or a miss on what happens next. I would think it would be mostly bad. If I call the stationhouse, I better go to a pay phone or they will think I am stalking the guy.:)

I went to court once for this and the Judge told everyone there that if we were to try to set a court date for a speed ticket to think twice because the cops get paid double for showing up to court and most cops think it is easy money so they do show up.

So I plead ...No Contest :)

Don't stick a pin my balloon ya bastid!

Appear in court. Tell the judge you want a deposition as to the issuance of the ticket. He'll order the cop to produce one and set a trial date. If the cop fails to produce the deposition, or fails to appear, move for dismissal. You'll get it.

Oh, and don't drive 74 in a 50 zone.

When we lived in Orange County NY before moving down here, one of my sons

in his younger days used this tactic twice and got the dismissals.

I am of a mind to challenge it. My point would be that I was in the middle of a pack of cars all going approximately the same speed and that the radar is too erratic to pick me out of the pack. Maybe it won't fly, but that's the story I am going with.

It wasn't me your honor.

AR4PGt9oOto

• 3 months later...

OK, I had my day in court today after delaying the hearing for a while. I wanted to delay it more but I ws told it would be $40 a pop from now on. I had a list of questions which basically were ball busting questions as to the cop car location etc. etc. I whipped out some pictures to show the judge and the cop started freaking out, "Where did you get those pictures, it's illegal to pull over on the side of the road and take those pictures, you should get a citation" etc. I just said "what does any of your ranting have to do with the issue at hand?" The judge agreed with me, he was freaking out and I was sure that I had him. Bottom line is that he lied when he said he had me in his line of vision the whole time, he flat out lied under oath. How do you fight that? Guilty!!! $90 ticket, $60 surcharge, 6 point on my license and a $100 per year surcharge for 3 years because of the 6 points. Luckily I took the AAA 6 hour class earlier this week in preparation. I was speeding, but that focker lied and somehow I fell cheated now.

OK, I had my day in court today after delaying the hearing for a while. I wanted to delay it more but I ws told it would be $40 a pop from now on. I had a list of questions which basically were ball busting questions as to the cop car location etc. etc. I whipped out some pictures to show the judge and the cop started freaking out, "Where did you get those pictures, it's illegal to pull over on the side of the road and take those pictures, you should get a citation" etc. I just said "what does any of your ranting have to do with the issue at hand?" The judge agreed with me, he was freaking out and I was sure that I had him. Bottom line is that he lied when he said he had me in his line of vision the whole time, he flat out lied under oath. How do you fight that? Guilty!!! $90 ticket, $60 surcharge, 6 point on my license and a $100 per year surcharge for 3 years because of the 6 points. Luckily I took the AAA 6 hour class earlier this week in preparation. I was speeding, but that focker lied and somehow I fell cheated now.

wow that sucks. at least you fought "the man" though so umm yeah. woo hoo. how did that feel ;)

you shoulda went with- that radar lied. I was drinking heavily that day yer honor & no fukkin way do I speed when i'm drunk

yer pal, joe for da defense

wow that sucks. at least you fought "the man" though so umm yeah. woo hoo. how did that feel ;)

you shoulda went with- that radar lied. I was drinking heavily that day yer honor & no fukkin way do I speed when i'm drunk

yer pal, joe for da defense

Thanks I'll remember that for next time. :)

I can imagine how you feel . and guess what? There's not a $% ing thing you can do about it. The judges are NEVER gonna go against a cop even if they suspect he's lying. It's all about collecting excess revenue with this surcharge bull****. A tax on a tax. How ridiculous. At least you got the satisfaction of seeing the pig freak out.

Talk to someone or the prosecutor or whomever. Last year, I was on a curvey road and had no idea where I was. Of course I was being a dumbass and speeding (50 in a 30), using a cellphone (which they never found out but nontheless) and went around a turn and lost control of the car for some reason, I was like in a seperate world) and went right across the road into a snow bank. The people who lived across the street called the cops and I had forgotten my Uncle's badge & cards (Whose a Chief) and had to go to court and would've gotten points but showed my badge and such and got it dropped to a $400 fine.

Now, you probably don't have what I have, but if you do, use it. If you don't, talk to sometone or something. It couldn't hurt.

If my dumbass had kept that information in my car, which it doesn't leave my car now, I wouldn't have had $400 less than I do today.

I've always been of the opinion that if they catch me speeding and I know I was speeding, I just pay the ticket. I'm not going to try to weasel out of it. That being said, the last ticket I had I went in to pay it on the day it was due. I step out of the elevator and there the officer is staring me down. He asks if I'm ready to go to court. :rl: I just showed him the check and walked over to the desk to pay the fine.

Bro you hire a local attorney. You pay them some cash. They talk to the prosecutor for you and they agree to another charge. You pay the same fees (plus lawyer fees) but you don't get any points \ surcharges.

Next time man. Next time. Whatever you do, don't slow down. The second you slow down they have won. We can't let that happen.

Talk to someone or the prosecutor or whomever. Last year, I was on a curvey road and had no idea where I was. Of course I was being a dumbass and speeding (50 in a 30), using a cellphone (which they never found out but nontheless) and went around a turn and lost control of the car for some reason, I was like in a seperate world) and went right across the road into a snow bank. The people who lived across the street called the cops and I had forgotten my Uncle's badge & cards (Whose a Chief) and had to go to court and would've gotten points but showed my badge and such and got it dropped to a $400 fine.

Now, you probably don't have what I have, but if you do, use it. If you don't, talk to sometone or something. It couldn't hurt.

If my dumbass had kept that information in my car, which it doesn't leave my car now, I wouldn't have had $400 less than I do today.

Don't leave it in the car. I had mine in the car and they stole the car. ****ing badge gone. Now some ****ing criminal is whipping that thing out and getting special privileges.

Don't leave it in the car. I had mine in the car and they stole the car. ****ing badge gone. Now some ****ing criminal is whipping that thing out and getting special privileges.

check the mod breakroom 27. I saw a guy whippin it out & gettin special privledges :mrgreen:

why the hell didnt u hire a lawyer???

even JGBs hires a local lawyer when he gets caught..ok he asks a friend to do it for free,, but u get my drift

why the hell didnt u hire a lawyer???

even JGBs hires a local lawyer when he gets caught..ok he asks a friend to do it for free,, but u get my drift

I sat there for three hours watching all of the cases in front of me. They seem to let the lawyers jump to the front of the line. I can tell you that lawyer or not, not one ticket was dismissed. NYC just wants the money and when it is the cops word against yours there is nothing you can do. The prick out and out lied and basically blew my well conceived defense out of the water.

I sat there for three hours watching all of the cases in front of me. They seem to let the lawyers jump to the front of the line. I can tell you that lawyer or not, not one ticket was dismissed. NYC just wants the money and when it is the cops word against yours there is nothing you can do. The prick out and out lied and basically blew my well conceived defense out of the water.

maybe not dismissed,,but usally a speed ticket reduced to improper equipement etc when u have a lawyer

maybe not dismissed,,but usally a speed ticket reduced to improper equipement etc when u have a lawyer

IN NYC there is absolutely no plea bargaining allowed, and no reduction in points. The only thing they will do is reduce the fine to the minimum $90, which I was at anyway. The money wasn't my primary concern, it was the point on the license, insurance etc.

IN NYC there is absolutely no plea bargaining allowed, and no reduction in points. The only thing they will do is reduce the fine to the minimum $90, which I was at anyway. The money wasn't my primary concern, it was the point on the license, insurance etc.

If you ever get caught speeding once, you this line it works

Occifer I Know i was going a bit fast, but i just found out that i am

becoming a father for 1st time and i'm rushing home to wifey!!

works like a charm.

If you ever get caught speeding once, you this line it works

Occifer I Know i was going a bit fast, but i just found out that i am

becoming a father for 1st time and i'm rushing home to wifey!!

works like a charm.

in your old arse case it would be 'grandfather for the 1st time' :rl:

Archived