Pennington not warm to riding Jets bench

Thursday, November 29, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- If Kellen Clemens is the Jets' long-term solution at quarterback, chances are Chad Pennington won't return to the club next season.

Pennington, the Jets starter since 2002, lost his starting job to Clemens three games ago but yesterday made it clear that he's not ready for permanent clipboard duty.

"I see myself as a starter in this league. That certainly hasn't changed," Pennington said in his first extensive interview since his benching. "I try my best to not think about the future right now and really focus on how I can help Kellen."

Nonetheless, Pennington totally dismissed the idea of returning to the Jets as a backup and was lukewarm to the thought of coming back as the starter, if that were an option. The Chiefs, Dolphins, Falcons, Ravens and Bears are among the teams expected to be looking for a starting quarterback this off-season.

"There'll be all different kinds of scenarios and different avenues that I'll have to look at," said Pennington, who is 32-28 as a starter, including 1-6 this season, and has led the Jets to the playoffs three times in five seasons. "When that time comes, I'll have to sit down with my wife and family and we'll decide on what's the best for us. ... I see myself as helping a football team win. Obviously, evaluations will be made on both sides, and we'll see what happens."

Asked if he wants to be the starter with the Jets next season, Pennington sidestepped the question.

"Anytime you have an opportunity to be a starter in this league, no matter where it is, you want to be the guy," he said. "There's no other feeling like it. Being the starter and stepping in the huddle and having those 10 other guys look at you for leadership. Absolutely, I want to be a starter."

Pennington is scheduled to earn $4.8 million in base salary next season, but he would count $7.8 million against the Jets' salary cap. He took a pay cut before last season and it's unlikely he would take another one if asked by the team. By refusing to do so, he could force his release.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum could not be reached for comment.

These days, Pennington spends much of his work week focused more on physical conditioning than the game plan. He no longer takes the first bus to the stadium on game day.

"There's a lack of adrenaline when you don't have that feeling in front of you that at 1 o'clock or 4 o'clock, it's game on," Pennington said. "But I'm sure if something happens and I would have to play, my body would just click in."

Pennington, 31, said being a backup at this stage of his career is much different than when he was Vinny Testaverde's understudy.

"It's different when you're the backup and you're the heir apparent, compared to when you're a backup because you were once the starter," said Pennington, who completed 67.4 percent of his passes with nine touchdowns and seven interceptions this season before losing his job.

Despite cheers when he was hurt in the opener against the Patriots and constant complaints about his lack of arm strength, Pennington said he doesn't feel vindicated by the Jets' continued offensive struggles. Clemens is 1-3 as a starter and has the lowest passer rating of any quarterback with at least 140 attempts (56.9).

"I don't wish any ill will upon anybody," Pennington said. "I think the state of our team right now has been consistent throughout and that is inconsistency."

Totally agree...we can't just let him walk, we need to get something in return.

If you can't start for a three-win team, who can you start for? He's a backup quarterback, nothing more. Any team that woud offer him a starting job is throwing a season away when they could be develping a young player, like the Jets are doing.

If you can't start for a three-win team, who can you start for? He's a backup quarterback, nothing more. Any team that woud offer him a starting job is throwing a season away when they could be develping a young player, like the Jets are doing.

SSSHHHHHH.....don't say it too loud Nick...Herm might still think Chad can win some games for him out there-hell, he gave a 2nd round pick for some nobody TE that I can't even remember the name-oh yea Doug Friggin Jolley-he might be dumb enough to give us that pick back for Chad...

If Cutler continues the season he is having Shanahan might want to give the job to him. So they can make the playoffs again.

:P

Doesn't matter who is starting for this team at QB -- they can't block. They can't run or pass block. The QB is actually like 9th on the list of concerns right now.

good for him. hes a starting quarterback. hes not ready to be a backup so im glad hes going somewhere thats gonna give him a starting job. there are good teams that dont have a qb and now he can fix that problem. now maybe he'll actually have a good team to play on

Agreed...

good for him. hes a starting quarterback. hes not ready to be a backup so im glad hes going somewhere thats gonna give him a starting job. there are good teams that dont have a qb and now he can fix that problem. now maybe he'll actually have a good team to play on

Oh please, Chad played on teams better than him for the majority of his starting career. And what did he do? Nothing.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- If Kellen Clemens is the Jets' long-term solution at quarterback, chances are Chad Pennington won't return to the club next season.

Pennington, the Jets starter since 2002, lost his starting job to Clemens three games ago but yesterday made it clear that he's not ready for permanent clipboard duty.

"I see myself as a starter in this league. That certainly hasn't changed," Pennington said in his first extensive interview since his benching. "I try my best to not think about the future right now and really focus on how I can help Kellen."

Nonetheless, Pennington totally dismissed the idea of returning to the Jets as a backup and was lukewarm to the thought of coming back as the starter, if that were an option. The Chiefs, Dolphins, Falcons, Ravens and Bears are among the teams expected to be looking for a starting quarterback this off-season.

"There'll be all different kinds of scenarios and different avenues that I'll have to look at," said Pennington, who is 32-28 as a starter, including 1-6 this season, and has led the Jets to the playoffs three times in five seasons. "When that time comes, I'll have to sit down with my wife and family and we'll decide on what's the best for us. ... I see myself as helping a football team win. Obviously, evaluations will be made on both sides, and we'll see what happens."

Asked if he wants to be the starter with the Jets next season, Pennington sidestepped the question.

"Anytime you have an opportunity to be a starter in this league, no matter where it is, you want to be the guy," he said. "There's no other feeling like it. Being the starter and stepping in the huddle and having those 10 other guys look at you for leadership. Absolutely, I want to be a starter."

Pennington is scheduled to earn $4.8 million in base salary next season, but he would count $7.8 million against the Jets' salary cap. He took a pay cut before last season and it's unlikely he would take another one if asked by the team. By refusing to do so, he could force his release.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum could not be reached for comment.

These days, Pennington spends much of his work week focused more on physical conditioning than the game plan. He no longer takes the first bus to the stadium on game day.

"There's a lack of adrenaline when you don't have that feeling in front of you that at 1 o'clock or 4 o'clock, it's game on," Pennington said. "But I'm sure if something happens and I would have to play, my body would just click in."

Pennington, 31, said being a backup at this stage of his career is much different than when he was Vinny Testaverde's understudy.

"It's different when you're the backup and you're the heir apparent, compared to when you're a backup because you were once the starter," said Pennington, who completed 67.4 percent of his passes with nine touchdowns and seven interceptions this season before losing his job.

Despite cheers when he was hurt in the opener against the Patriots and constant complaints about his lack of arm strength, Pennington said he doesn't feel vindicated by the Jets' continued offensive struggles. Clemens is 1-3 as a starter and has the lowest passer rating of any quarterback with at least 140 attempts (56.9).

"I don't wish any ill will upon anybody," Pennington said. "I think the state of our team right now has been consistent throughout and that is inconsistency."

Everyone should remember, that Chad would not have been playing anywhere if he did not restructure his contract and he met all the incentives that were put in so that he could make the money back. In effect, he did not get a pay cut. Is that right Sperm?

Ever

Oh please, Chad played on teams better than him for the majority of his starting career. And what did he do? Nothing.

In fairness the most talented team he played with was probably in 2004 and check out how he was doing before he got injured. He also had an offensive coaching staff that consisted of a Clown and his dancing bear.:bag:

Everyone should remember, that Chad would not have been playing anywhere if he did not restructure his contract and he met all the incentives that were put in so that he could make the money back. In effect, he did not get a pay cut. Is that right Sperm?

Ever

He made it all back by accomplishing the unequivocal task of starting 10 football games. He took a "cut" in base salary of like $6M. But he reached NLTBE incentives of $6M by starting every game. It was a wash, and no team in the league was going to offer him as sweet of a deal coming off his 2nd shoulder surgery. At the time (early March 2006), he hadn't so much as thrown a single football since the Jacksonville game. No one knew if he ever would (and there was no "of course he's coming back" that's easy in hindsight). We told him we'd pay him $4M even if he never played again ($~1M salary + $3M RB). If he started 10 games, which he did, he would make back all of the pay "cut" he agreed to.

It's bullsh**.

For the last frickin time - Chad was a fraud.

We gave him a 64 million dollar contract to be a franchise QB and he completely flopped from that point on. Give injury excuses all you want, but it doesnt help win football games. This isnt the salvation army here and the Jets arent a charity case.

He let us down. He owes us. Not the other way around.

For the last frickin time - Chad was a fraud.

We gave him a 64 million dollar contract to be a franchise QB and he completely flopped from that point on. Give injury excuses all you want, but it doesnt help win football games. This isnt the salvation army here and the Jets arent a charity case.

He let us down. He owes us. Not the other way around.

If anything, it is the NEW YORK JETS F.O. who are frauds.

They agreed to the contract, and they still let the fanbase down every season.

The NY JETS OWNER is a fraud.

The JETS HC is a fraud.

Pennington is only a symptom of a far deeper problem with this franchise.

If anything, it is the NEW YORK JETS F.O. who are frauds.

They agreed to the contract, and they still let the fanbase down every season.

The NY JETS OWNER is a fraud.

The JETS HC is a fraud.

Pennington is only a symptom of a far deeper problem with this franchise.

Woody is most definitely a fraud. I cant stand him.

We disagree on Mangini, because you just hate him so much. :P

But Woody/the FO is no excuse for Chad Pennington failing. It was his own responsibility to play up to the contract, and not anyone elses.

Woody is most definitely a fraud. I cant stand him.

We disagree on Mangini, because you just hate him so much. :P

But Woody/the FO is no excuse for Chad Pennington failing. It was his own responsibility to play up to the contract, and not anyone elses.

Yeah Chad should have turned down the money and said sorry I'm not that good.:rolleyes:

Bradway gave him the cash b4 he had to. Please advise who would have turned down the contract.

Pennington got hurt after that and has never been the same. He worked his a** off rehab wise to try and live up to his responsibility to the NY Jets.

Give it a rest Barton and all the rest if the bozo's acting like it's Chad's fault the contract was offered to him. The guy gave us everything he had and unfortunately, post injury it was only good enough to get us to the play-offs but not SB caliber.

Yep let's spend the next 5 years bashing Pennington here....afterall that's what some of us do best.

Yeah Chad should have turned down the money and said sorry I'm not that good.:rolleyes:

Bradway gave him the cash b4 he had to. Please advise who would have turned down the contract.

Pennington got hurt after that and has never been the same. He worked his a** off rehab wise to try and live up to his responsibility to the NY Jets.

Give it a rest Barton and all the rest if the bozo's acting like it's Chad's fault the contract was offered to him. The guy gave us everything he had and unfortunately, post injury it was only good enough to get us to the play-offs but not SB caliber.

Yep let's spend the next 5 years bashing Pennington here....afterall that's what some of us do best.

Well said, he did what he was told and always gave his all... blame the coaches and FO... not Chad... he did what they paid him to do... its not his fault they mis-calculated...

Well said, he did what he was told and always gave his all... blame the coaches and FO... not Chad... he did what they paid him to do... its not his fault they mis-calculated...

Did the coaching staff make Chad throw all those pick sixes over the last couple of years?

Archived