Yankees leaning toward putting Hughes in deal for Santana

With all of this Yankees/Red Sox/Mets trade talk I really wonder if Johan wants to pitch on the big stage.

Minnesota is no NY or Boston.

I think he'll be fine....in Minny most of the time if he gave up 2 runs he was likely looking at a no decision or loss. He'll thrive with the runs the Yanks or Sox give him. He also wont have to go 7-8 innings every night becauses he's in a 1-1 game.

Santana for Giambi, Melky and Kennedy -- No salary relief on Giambi either -- Best offer I'd make.

Then Santana would never be a Yankee.

A broken down roider, an okay centerfielder, and a prospect who's ceiling is to be a #3. All that crap for the best pitcher in baseball. You would be the laughingstock of the winter meetings.

Either Hughes or Joba goes if you want Santana.

This is stupid unless it's a ploy to get the Sox to trade their farm for Santana.

Seems to be playing out exactly the opoosite. The Sox are holding onto the guys they won't deal and the Yankees are the ones being played into giving players they originally didn't want to. Sox are just pushing the asking price.

A broken down roider, an okay centerfielder, and a prospect who's ceiling is to be a #3. All that crap for the best pitcher in baseball. You would be the laughingstock of the winter meetings.

Santana isn't the best.

THEN I GUESS I DON'T WANT SANTANA THAT BAD.

You have to give up TWO young pitchers, Melky and maybe another prospect for a guy who only plays every 5 days.

And if those two guys turn into your #1 and #3 pitchers, then what was the point?

Oh, and we'd also STILL need to pay him once he got here.

You have to give up TWO young pitchers, Melky and maybe another prospect for a guy who only plays every 5 days.

And if those two guys turn into your #1 and #3 pitchers, then what was the point?

That's your prerogative, and I understand it completely.

If those guys turn into Brien Taylor then it's a fantastic trade. Since when do the Yankees care about having to pay people?

That's your prerogative, and I understand it completely.

If those guys turn into Brien Taylor then it's a fantastic trade. Since when do the Yankees care about having to pay people?

That's the problem right there. If some of these owners would pay their players, we wouldn't be having these fire sales. The owner of the Twins dwarfs the Stienbrenners pocket book...he just doesn't want to pay. Sucks to be a Twins fan knowing that.

That's the problem right there. If some of these owners would pay their players, we wouldn't be having these fire sales. The owner of the Twins dwarfs the Stienbrenners pocket book...he just doesn't want to pay. Sucks to be a Twins fan knowing that.

Hey, completely off topic, but I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your sig and the sig pic.

I had alot of family in that war, and I've been to the monument a time or two.

That's very nicely done, and the sig couldn't be more true

Yankee fans can never bring up payroll in this discussion. If you have a issue when opposing fanbases point out how much higher your payroll is over the rest of MLB than you cannot start being on a budget when discussing a Johan trade.

:rolleyes:

I know as a Sox fan talking about money is a bit disengenuous. My team is one of the few haves. A list of teams that can essentially afford the 20 million dollar a year players.

The Yankees spent 200+ millon last season on salaries and another 275-300 million reportedely on A-Rod. They are not pinching pennies. They have by far the richest TV network, which they own and it only continues to add up between apparellel sales and tickets.

Paying Johan will barely cause a ripple.

I gladly pay whatever it takes to go see the Yankees. I just expect to see a good product on the field. It irritates me when I play for roundtrip tickets, hotel stay and scalped seats for a 3 game series, and I see them play like crap. You guys have it easier, since all you do is go down to the sadium and drive back home. We all feel the hike in ticket prices and concessions. It's just the way it is. Paying 15 bucks for a Corona at Edison Field is not fun.

Yankee fans can never bring up payroll in this discussion. If you have a issue when opposing fanbases point out how much higher your payroll is over the rest of MLB than you cannot start being on a budget when discussing a Johan trade.

The problem isn't overall payroll that I have, it is the value of what we're getting for what we're giving in any potential deal. The fact that we have to give him a massive extension, therefore is part of that equation.

I have season tickets....my tickets last year cost me $71 each

I'll let you know about the ripple when I get the new bill

Someone has to pay for these guys

The prices are really insane.

The problem isn't overall payroll that I have, it is the value of what we're getting for what we're giving in any potential deal. The fact that we have to give him a massive extension, therefore is part of that equation.

Well ARod cost you Soriano and a massive extension. You want Johan for free.

Hughes is a prospect who looks like he will be good.....Johan IS a superstar.

You have to remember something when comparing ARod with Soriano. You have to agree that ARod puts more fannies in the seats (both home and on the road) than Soriano does. ARod puts money in Yankee pockets that Soriano only dreams of. And of course the Yanks pay for that as well...you got to spend money to make money.

I wasn't in love with the ARod trade either, at the time. I didn't hate it though either. ARod improved the team, and he plays the game ever day. We didn't sell the farm for ARod. We had a hole at 3B before we made the trade, and a hole at 2B afterward. We were able to fill that hole at 2B very easily.

This is a different situation. You're not trading Hughes straight up for Santana + Cash.

You are selling Hughes PLUS an everyday player PLUS a prospect for Santana MINUS cash (essentially).