What are we looking for?

PantyHose&Furs

There's a lot of debate on this site regarding Clemens.

Lots of folks saying he's JAG and we should draft a QB.

Others seeing progress and feeling somewhat confident we may have found something.

What exactly are we looking for to know whether we have something or not?

Personally, I like what I've seen.

He's been taking a lot of hits, playing under duress a lot but there's no question the team has been more balanced with him under center and he makes a lot of positive plays that show me he has potential.

Don't forget...our team as a whole is NOT good.

He's shown flashes...but I'm curious what we think we need to see?

He'll be even better if he plays behind an OL that doesnt get him sacked 6 times. They need to upgrade the OL asap before he gets hurt.

i agree. He has shown some good things so far with a mediocre line. He has also shown some bad things that hopefully he will overcome with more experience.

Is he a franchise QB? Cant tell. Not enough time. Is he our QB for the next 3-4 years (barring injury)??? yes.

I'm very comfortable with him as our QB for now. I think he's played pretty well and has a lot of upside.

The Jets have far bigger concerns than QB right now.

Agree, we better not even think about taking a QB high in the draft. Clemens looks capable if nothing else, I just wish Schotty would open things up downfield a little more for him. I'm sick of the short stuff at this point in the season, there is nothing to lose, we might as well see just how good the kid is.

Eh. He looks okay, but I'd take a top flight prospect if one were available. I don't see him as being the next Favre, Peyton or Brady. He looks like he may be the next Jeff Garcia or Jon Kitna. There is no shame in that, but I wouldn't pass on any prospect I like that falls in our lap. I'm satisfied with what he is doing, but not blown away.

I think we blame the O line for too much. Pennington was supposedly a statue with no pocket presence and this kid gets dropped way more than he ever did. Don't give me any **** about looking downfield either, he's not exactly bombing away back there. IMO, that's simply a rookie getting a feel for the game, going through his progression quicker. Baker didn't do him any favors ignoring the blind side blitz yesterday. I think the line needs more help with run blocking, their pass protection has been adequate.

Eh. He looks okay, but I'd take a top flight prospect if one were available. I don't see him as being the next Favre, Peyton or Brady. He looks like he may be the next Jeff Garcia or Jon Kitna. There is no shame in that, but I wouldn't pass on any prospect I like that falls in our lap. I'm satisfied with what he is doing, but not blown away.

I think we blame the O line for too much. Pennington was supposedly a statue with no pocket presence and this kid gets dropped way more than he ever did. Don't give me any **** about looking downfield either, he's not exactly bombing away back there. IMO, that's simply a rookie getting a feel for the game, going through his progression quicker. Baker didn't do him any favors ignoring the blind side blitz yesterday. I think the line needs more help with run blocking, their pass protection has been adequate.

He does seem to panic under pressure a little but that's expected for a young QB, IMO he does have the potential to be better than the QB's you named, especially kitna.

There is no way in hell that we should use a high draft pick on a QB though, maybe a different year when there are better prospects at QB, because at the moment there aren't really any elite prospects, Not in my opinion anyways.

He'll be even better if he plays behind an OL that doesnt get him sacked 6 times. They need to upgrade the OL asap before he gets hurt.

agreed and lets start with a real LT! BRICK is going to get a Jets QB hurt! He gets beat by both speed and power! The guy must be leading all LTs in scaks& pressures allowed!

agreed and lets start with a real LT! BRICK is going to get a Jets QB hurt! He gets beat by both speed and power! The guy must be leading all LTs in scaks& pressures allowed!

You obviously have an agenda to not recognise that D'Brick has really improved recently. D'Brick can play and he's getting better.

I'm satisfied with what he is doing, but not blown away.

KC does tend to hold on to the ball too long, and is partially to blame for some of the sacks. But there really is no disputing that the OL has holes in it which contribute to him getting a lot of pressure in the pocket.

Also, at least a couple of the dolfags sacks came on numbers, and he just didnt recognize that his blockers were going to be outnumbered on the play.

Also, at least a couple of the dolfags sacks came on numbers, and he just didnt recognize that his blockers were going to be outnumbered on the play.

I agree. Clemens seems to be facing the age old tactic of "blitz the newby!" So far, he has not shown the consistent ability to hit the hot route quickly. That is to be expected for a kid seeing his first game action. I trust that it will improve, but it had better.

One of my major issues with Schotty this year is that he continues to run tight formations just outside of the tackle box...bringing lots of defenders to the line of scrimmage who can blitz...

spread the field.

give clemens some lanes to throw and an opportunity to use his feet if there's pressure.

schotty is bringing the blitzers closer to Clemens.

However tough this trial by fire is for Clemens I'm seeing things that make me believe in time he can be a consistent winner.

He's tough...takes a shot and hops back up.

He's got a cannon...with touch and improving accuracy.

He's mobile...he can break the pocket and improvise...

Plus...he's playing with a crap O-Line, WR's that are average and an OC who's having a tough year.

Let's give the kid a chance to develop and let's give the coaching staff the chance to design an offense for HIM and see what happends...remember, this no huddle stuff was to take advantage of Penny's brains, etc. This O was built for him.

Let's put some peices in place for Clemens...i.e. a downfield threat, OL that can hold their blocks for more than a 3-step drop (the west coast offense staple)...

One of my major issues with Schotty this year is that he continues to run tight formations just outside of the tackle box...bringing lots of defenders to the line of scrimmage who can blitz...

spread the field.

give clemens some lanes to throw and an opportunity to use his feet if there's pressure.

schotty is bringing the blitzers closer to Clemens.

However tough this trial by fire is for Clemens I'm seeing things that make me believe in time he can be a consistent winner.

He's tough...takes a shot and hops back up.

He's got a cannon...with touch and improving accuracy.

He's mobile...he can break the pocket and improvise...

Plus...he's playing with a crap O-Line, WR's that are average and an OC who's having a tough year.

Let's give the kid a chance to develop and let's give the coaching staff the chance to design an offense for HIM and see what happends...remember, this no huddle stuff was to take advantage of Penny's brains, etc. This O was built for him.

Let's put some peices in place for Clemens...i.e. a downfield threat, OL that can hold their blocks for more than a 3-step drop (the west coast offense staple)...

The spread formation is worse. You want a young qb running a spread O? Look how many times Kitna gets sacked. I think that packing the formation is done specifically to protect the kid. Look what happened when Baker blew the assignment yesterday. He doesn't seem to read who is blitzing and without the bodies to pick them up he could be killed.

I wouldn't say he has a canon either. He has a nice arm, he can make any throw.

The 2 best teams in football this year have 2 of the top 5 O lines. There are exceptions to this phenomena - but by and large its a "have to" for success. KC has shown enough in his ability to move the chains that I don't think we have to spend a top pick on a QB. Whatever combination of picks and FA's can make the O line solid and get some size and speed to our D line should be our priorities. We've got the money.

He has had his moments both good and bad.

I don't think he is the savior. He has a long way to go but that is why Mangini is playing him.

They still need alot of help on the OL, they need a gamebreaking WR and the Defense has still needs alot of work.

We will see.

Archived