UT's Newest Mock Offseason (with explanations)

Untouchable

Jets end the season at 4-12 and pick in the 5-8 range of the draft.

Trades

LB Jonathan Vilma and a 5th round pick to Cincy for a 2008 2nd round pick.

QB Chad Pennington to Minnesota for a 2008 4th round pick.

Free Agent Signings

OG Alan Faneca

Adrien Clarke is completely worthless and Brick and Mangold won't ever live up to their billing until we get a quality LG to play between them. Faneca is a pro-bowler 5 years running and is still in the prime of his career (he'll only be 31 next season). I think he still has 2-3 years of all pro play left in him and probably another 3-4 years or quality play after that. I don't see this guy suddenly hitting a wall anytime soon. Next to Hutchinson, he's arguably the best OG in league. The difference between a guy like Faneca and Clarke is enormous.

WR Bryant Johnson

Arizona is stacked with Fitz and Boldin and Johnson is denied a lot of oppurtunies as a result. He is a tremendous upgrade over McCareins, Smith, etc. and would immediately upgrade the passing attack as well as the weapons at Kellen's disposal.

CB Drayton Florence

Here is a nice, cheaper alternative to signing Asante Samuel for huge bucks. Florence has steadily been a very solid starter the past two years in San Diego. He's a young guy with plenty of speed at the position. A starting corner lineup of Revis and Florence with Dyson in the nickel doesn't sound bad.

DE Tommy Kelly

The Jet need more quality bigmen in the trenches so we sign Kelly who already has experience in the 3-4. He can hold his gaps and has flashed monstous ability against the run. A solid rusher form the 3-4 end positionbut nothing great. A solid starter at 3-4 DE.

Mock Draft (4 Rounds)

1st round: OLB Vernon Gholston - Ohio State

With the Jets picking around #7, Chris Long and McFadden are off the board so they go with the playmaking Gholston out of Ohio State. The guy is a terror off the edge and freakishly strong. Has ideal size for the position at 6'4 265 and could form a deadly LB corps with David Harris

2nd round: OT Jeff Otah - Pittsburgh

Anthony Clement could very well be the worst starting RT in football so the Jets nab his immediate replacement in round 2. Jeff Otah is your classic mauler on the offensive line. 6'6 340 and is flatout dominant in the running game. He kind of reminds me of Blalock last year but a much better suit for RT at the next level instead of OG.

2nd round: WR Jordy Nelson - Kansas State

Let's face it, we aren't as strong at receiver as we initially thought. Coles is getting long in the tooth and becoming more injury prone every year. Cotchery is basically the only long term fix at WR on this team. Nelson would provide us with a sure handed, sizeable player out of the slot.

3rd round: ILB Ben Moffitt - South Florida

Vilma is as good as gone and Hobson is set to hit the free agent market. The Jets need to find a guy who they can pair with David Harris on the inside. Moffitt has been an inspirational part os South Florida's success this year. Very stout against the run and can shed blockers. Kind of a poor mans Lauriniaitis. Eric Barton remains the starter for another year and then Moffitt gets inserted into the starting lineup in '09.

4th round: DE Nick Hayden - Wisconsin

The Jets continue to add depth to the D-line in round 4. Hayden isn't a star by any means, but he's a very good two gapper who can get penetration from time to time and has great size (6'5 305). Has a very high motor and is the classic Mangini player.

4th round: OG Kerry Brown - Appalachian State

With the signing of Faneca and the drafting of Jeff Otah, the Jets take a project guard in the mid rounds to surplant Brandon Moore as the starter at RG in the future. Brown is a solid all around OG with great size (6'6 310) and plays with a mean streak.

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

WR Bryant Johnson

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Alan Faneca

C Nick Mangold

RG Brandon Moore

RT Jeff Otah

DE Shaun Ellis

NT Dewayne Robertson

DE Tommy Kelly/Kenyon Coleman

OLB Vernon Gholston

ILB David Harris

ILB Eric Barton/Ben Moffitt

OLB Bryan Thomas

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Drayton Florence

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Eric Smith

Minnesota does not need a Quarterback. I repeat, Minnesota does not need a Quarterback. Tavaris Jackson is coming around. It takes time to come around in the NFL when you play at Alabama State or whatever small school he was from, I forgot and am too lazy to look it up.

Jets end the season at 4-12 and pick in the 5-8 range of the draft.

Trades

LB Jonathan Vilma and a 5th round pick to Cincy for a 2008 2nd round pick.

QB Chad Pennington to Minnesota for a 2008 4th round pick.

Free Agent Signings

OG Alan Faneca

Adrien Clarke is completely worthless and Brick and Mangold won't ever live up to their billing until we get a quality LG to play between them. Faneca is a pro-bowler 5 years running and is still in the prime of his career (he'll only be 31 next season). I think he still has 2-3 years of all pro play left in him and probably another 3-4 years or quality play after that. I don't see this guy suddenly hitting a wall anytime soon. Next to Hutchinson, he's arguably the best OG in league. The difference between a guy like Faneca and Clarke is enormous.

WR Bryant Johnson

Arizona is stacked with Fitz and Boldin and Johnson is denied a lot of oppurtunies as a result. He is a tremendous upgrade over McCareins, Smith, etc. and would immediately upgrade the passing attack as well as the weapons at Kellen's disposal.

CB Drayton Florence

Here is a nice, cheaper alternative to signing Asante Samuel for huge bucks. Florence has steadily been a very solid starter the past two years in San Diego. He's a young guy with plenty of speed at the position. A starting corner lineup of Revis and Florence with Dyson in the nickel doesn't sound bad.

DE Tommy Kelly

The Jet need more quality bigmen in the trenches so we sign Kelly who already has experience in the 3-4. He can hold his gaps and has flashed monstous ability against the run. A solid rusher form the 3-4 end positionbut nothing great. A solid starter at 3-4 DE.

Mock Draft (4 Rounds)

1st round: OLB Vernon Gholston - Ohio State

With the Jets picking around #7, Chris Long and McFadden are off the board so they go with the playmaking Gholston out of Ohio State. The guy is a terror off the edge and freakishly strong. Has ideal size for the position at 6'4 265 and could form a deadly LB corps with David Harris

2nd round: OT Jeff Otah - Pittsburgh

Anthony Clement could very well be the worst starting RT in football so the Jets nab his immediate replacement in round 2. Jeff Otah is your classic mauler on the offensive line. 6'6 340 and is flatout dominant in the running game. He kind of reminds me of Blalock last year but a much better suit for RT at the next level instead of OG.

2nd round: WR Jordy Nelson - Kansas State

Let's face it, we aren't as strong at receiver as we initially thought. Coles is getting long in the tooth and becoming more injury prone every year. Cotchery is basically the only long term fix at WR on this team. Nelson would provide us with a sure handed, sizeable player out of the slot.

3rd round: ILB Ben Moffitt - South Florida

Vilma is as good as gone and Hobson is set to hit the free agent market. The Jets need to find a guy who they can pair with David Harris on the inside. Moffitt has been an inspirational part os South Florida's success this year. Very stout against the run and can shed blockers. Kind of a poor mans Lauriniaitis. Eric Barton remains the starter for another year and then Moffitt gets inserted into the starting lineup in '09.

4th round: DE Nick Hayden - Wisconsin

The Jets continue to add depth to the D-line in round 4. Hayden isn't a star by any means, but he's a very good two gapper who can get penetration from time to time and has great size (6'5 305). Has a very high motor and is the classic Mangini player.

4th round: OG Kerry Brown - Appalachian State

With the signing of Faneca and the drafting of Jeff Otah, the Jets take a project guard in the mid rounds to surplant Brandon Moore as the starter at RG in the future. Brown is a solid all around OG with great size (6'6 310) and plays with a mean streak.

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

WR Bryant Johnson

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Alan Faneca

C Nick Mangold

RG Brandon Moore

RT Jeff Otah

DE Shaun Ellis

NT Dewayne Robertson

DE Tommy Kelly/Kenyon Coleman

OLB Vernon Gholston

ILB David Harris

ILB Eric Barton/Ben Moffitt

OLB Bryan Thomas

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Drayton Florence

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Eric Smith

Look dude I love a lot of your moves, especially Faneca. But FFS dude we still have D-Rob at NT???

Why don't you just kick me in the nuts??:bag:

Look dude I love a lot of your moves, especially Faneca. But FFS dude we still have D-Rob at NT???

Why don't you just kick me in the nuts??:bag:

Who do you suggest that would be an upgrade?

I want a dominating 6'2 340 NT just as much as the next guy. But where either in free agency or the draft is this kind of player?

The only solid 3-4 NT that comes to mind in free agency is Isaac Sopoaga from the Niners. He's a solid rotational guy but not starter material.

In the draft there are some late round projects like Frank Morton and Richard Clebert but there are no dominating early round candidates that could immediately start from day one.

I don't think there's any question that we'll just have to deal with D-Rob for yet another season. What other choice do we have?

The best thing we can do in the meantime is beef up the DE position with a guy like Kelly (6'6 305).

Who do you suggest that would be an upgrade?

I want a dominating 6'2 340 NT just as much as the next guy. But where either in free agency or the draft is this kind of player?

The only solid 3-4 NT that comes to mind in free agency is Isaac Sopoaga from the Niners. He's a solid rotational guy but not starter material.

In the draft there are some late round projects like Frank Morton and Richard Clebert but there are no dominating early round candidates that could immediately start from day one.

I don't think there's any question that we'll just have to deal with D-Rob for yet another season. What other choice do we have?

The best thing we can do in the meantime is beef up the DE position with a guy like Kelly (6'6 305).

Mosley???

Okam???

Heck I'd even stick Pouha in there before I'd put in Drob. hecan't play in a 3-4, he just cannot. If we go with him again there next year then our 3-4 will not work again next year. It can't with such an undersized body in the heart of it.

UT - i don't know much about florence but he has to be better than barret/poteat/dyson. this is a really well thought out off-season. the fact that you have 4th rd picks already is beyond me, i couldn't even name 10 1st rd picks.

i would love to see the jets add faneca and suggs. suggs is the pass rusher that teams need to gameplan for. add suggs + CB and this defense is immediately improved.

UT - i don't know much about florence but he has to be better than barret/poteat/dyson. this is a really well thought out off-season. the fact that you have 4th rd picks already is beyond me, i couldn't even name 10 1st rd picks.

i would love to see the jets add faneca and suggs. suggs is the pass rusher that teams need to gameplan for. add suggs + CB and this defense is immediately improved.

Suggs resigned if im not mistaken...

UT- I like the offseason, but I dont think we're going to pull off Faneca.

At this point, he's at the end of his career and will, in all probability, want to go somewhere where he has a chance at winning one last time or someplace low-key where he isnt expected to be perfect 100% of the time. Neither of those are the Jets.

And from the Jets perspective, we have a lot of holes to fill. Since nothing in particular is going to draw Faneca to the Jets, its going to be the money that attracts him, if anything. That means we'd really have to break the bank on a 32 year old lineman when his position is far from the only need on our team.

So, I just dont see that happening.

I saw there were some good OG players coming out also, maybe we'd take an OG in the draft instead and try to develop Bender?

I don't like Drayton Florence at all as a player. Let alone as someone who's going to eat up cap space & still need to be upgraded. Picture a fast David Barrett who can't/won't tackle. He was a good (read: fast) prospect out of college (except he supposedly didn't play the ball well back then either) & his upside ended there. Too much $ for a guy who's a below-average starter unless he's manning up on a total scrub. Save the cap space for a real OG and take a good CB prospect in the draft.

Faneca. I really don't know what to make of him. Fans in Pittsburgh can't wait until he's off the team. By all accounts, he's nowhere near the player he was even 1-2 years ago. A big risk giving a guy that kind of coin (likely $15-20M SB). His age (turns 31 this week) doesn't concern me; what concerns me is potentially paying through the nose for past accomplishments & not getting what we're paying for.

Even round 4 is too high for Kerry Brown (unless he has some killer combine, but workout/combine warriors concern me all the same). Also the last thing a 6'1 QB needs is a 6'6" interior lineman. 310 lbs frankly isn't too big for a guy that tall. Particularly with a rookie RT, don't dick around. Go get a starter that can play right now. Brandon Moore sucks & no matter how much he benches in the gym, he just doesn't have the power to push back defensive linemen (however he'd make an outstanding backup & his contract is very much in line with that). Go get someone who's starting right now, clearly doing a good job against NFL talent, and as a bonus probably won't be a bank-breaker (likely ~$4M/yr at most): Anthony Herrera. Some guys are just later bloomers & he seems to be one, now in his 4th season. Excellent size at 6'2/315 & not too tall for an interior lineman, and is (now) still only 26 years old. Turns 27 in June.

Using DRob at NT for a 3rd straight season (and bypassing $8M in cap relief) is ridiculous. As luck would have it, there's a UFA who's a starting 3-4 NT in Ethan Kelley. 6'2"/340 lbs, young, and has starting NFL experience? Have to hope Cleveland doesn't sign him up before March. If not, we should waste no time. If we can move DRob for almost I'd do it. He's a talented player, but 2-gapping isn't his game. The reason I say "almost anything" is b/c his cap # is about $10M next year; keeping him at that number is not an option & his play in the 3-4 doesn't warrant a new contract. I think we could probably get a 2009 3rd-rounder. If we can get that I'd jump all over it. We already have an extra 4th in 2009 for Kendall. No reason to trade all our players-for-picks for the 2008 draft; save another one for '09.

Also consider moving Ellis. He's WAY too slow to be an OLB as some have proposed (I think he ran only a 4.85 as a young kid; doubt he's faster these days). He'll have some trade value, particularly to a 4-3 team like KC who will probably lose Jared Allen. Think we could get a 3rd-rounder for him; his salary isn't that bad (avg $4M/yr), he's locked up for 4 years, and his new team wouldn't have to pony up any SB. Don't underestimate his trade value; it makes a big difference to a new team that he doesn't need a new cap-breaking contract & they aren't too likely to get a player of his talent, at his position, ready to start right away, in round 3. On our cap I think it's about a wash. At most we'd absorb like a $1-2M hit for '08 & nothing after that. I haven't seen enough out of him to warrant keeping him around for another year, bypassing a day-one pick that may be lowered if he loses his job, and seeing him two-gap (badly for the most part) for another year. Use a combination of CJ Mosely & that 4th-round guy Hayden. Both are more-suited & probably hungrier as well at this point.

Save ILB for next year's draft & keep Barton for 1 more year. He's a bit overpriced at $3M, but it's his last season on his current deal. Use that very 3rd-round pick with a mid-high 3rd-round pick for Ellis to move up to #12-15 in round 2 for Terrell Thomas. With Justin Miller back next year & still on the team he doesn't necessarily have to start from day one (though he probably could).

Other than the above, what you've outlined is fine. So I'm adding:

RELEASE:

Barrett (clears $3M)

JMac (unless we can get even a conditional 2009 7th-rounder)

TRADE:

Vilma (as you've outlined, if we even have to give up a 5th to net a 2nd)

Ellis (to KC; net ~#10 pick in round 3; probably ~$1M cap hit but we're out from under his huge deal)

Chad (as you've outlined, but we may be able to get a 3rd from someone like Chicago, SF, Atlanta, or KC -- all 4 of those teams are desperate for an immediate starter, the FA pickings are slim, and doubt all 4 want to go with a rookie).

DRob (2009 3rd-4th rounder; clears $8M in cap space for '08 and $5M for '09)

FA ACQUIRE:

LG: Faneca (though this worries me a little; probably will take a $6yr/$40M with $18M guaranteed)

RG: Herrera (guessing 5yr/$20M with $8-10M guaranteed since he hasn't been starting that long). Probably the most expendable FA on my shopping list, as we do at least have a body with 4 yrs starting experience in Moore. But man do I want to upgrade.

NT: Kelley (guessing similar contract to Herrera)

RE-SIGN:

Rhodes (5 yr/$25M with $10M guaranteed)

Also part of the reason I'd like to trade down if possible; guessing that won't be an option as teams don't like to trade up into the top-7 that much. Costs too many picks & then too big of a contract.

DRAFT:

1: Gholston

2a: Otah

2b: Nelson

4a: Raji if he declares. Players do get injured & Kelley isn't Jamal Williams anyway. We'll still need a backup NT who fits the mold. Also consider Shirley or Morton otherwise but trade down from here if taking one of those two.

4b: Hayden

5: (I doubt it's necessary to trade away to get a 2nd for Vilma): FB Caulcrick

6 & 7: QB3, ILB sleeper, OLB sleeper, or backup left tackle (Adrian Jones is a FA)

Extra picks for 2009:

3rd-4th (DRob)

4th (Kendall)

I think Faneca is worth breaking the bank for. Outside of Hutchinson most people consider the Vikings OL a group of JAGS, but I think they are the best OL in football. You have to give Hutchinson major credit for that. Faneca may no longer be quite as good, but I do think he is close and it might take a change of scenery for him to return to his form just a year or two ago. I don't think he is really bad this year even, still a very, very good guard. I hear murmurs that he is playing really light though.

I'd rather sign one of the younger, less expensive non-Faneca guards.

Stacy Andrews would look nice at RT or RG.

The younger less-expensive guards are also less proven, and are also usually locked up. I can't think of anyone better than Hutchinson and Faneca (Shawn Andrews who is locked up until 2015?), as for comparable young talent they just don't come free often, Mankins who we probably can't pry away either? Jason Brown's young too but how are we going to get him? Daryn Colledge? Jason Spitz is young too, but how do we get him? Maybe Naeole(sp? guy on the Jaguars, think he has a contract dispute maybe) but he's even older than Faneca, although size shouldn't be an issue with him.

Really the only guys I see that we have a shot at are Faneca and Naole, and I'd rather go with Faneca, since Faneca is more proven and is actually younger. But if it comes down to it, I wouldn't be too down if we got Naeole as long as he was cheaper...I just don't think he would be.

But it appears to me you draft these guys. Round 2 if you need to, I think a lot of these guys are actually fairly early picks. I know Mankin was a first rounder I think just a few years ago at most. A lot of the guards I listed are 24-25 or so, still on their rookie contracts. We need to identify and then coach talent...rather than perhaps overpaying for someone that isn't on the level of a Faneca or Hutchinson just because we want to be cheap and lazy.

Very rarely do some of the 'elite' guards in this league become available. Don't listen to some of those Pittsburgh fans Sperm, they know he's leaving and have for some time, they're just bitter. Remember what this place was like when Kendall was holding-out??? It's a similar situation.

We have to go after Faneca IMO, we just can't pass up such a great opputunity in what has become a gaping hole on our already shaky O-line. The guy is a total stud, I was wastching him yesterday for Pittsburgh and his agility for a KG is unbelivable, he gets so much push too it's unbelivable.

We can't afford to go cheap this year, we must go after the best players out there.

I like it. Sperm not liking Kerry Brown is okay, but it's not too fair to demand a starter there when UT already was planning on signing Faneca. I think too many people here are demanding we sign Faneca as if he'll be some kind of fix-all. I see him as a better Kendall. Doesn't seem worth going through all that drama for the same type of guy (old, a little light) but it sure beats going with what we've got. Irish, I don't think it's only sour grapes from Pitt fans. I don't recall Faneca getting "so much push it's unbelievable" against our ****ty ass D line a few weeks ago.

I'm not a huge Drayton Florence fan either and I'd say that Mangini is pretty picky about his DBs. I can't see him spending coin on anybody that he doesn't feel will fit his adaptable zone/man schemes. That's one reason I can see blowing some serious money on Samuel IF he really thinks he fits the system. I think he'll go with the perfect guys or adapt from the FA/lower picks we have.

I like Sperm's idea regarding NT, but if we have to go with DRob, I'd go with him and the DE upgrades. DRob is obviously better than Pouha who hasn't shown the ability to stay on the field for 100 snaps in a season. Mosley has shown some penetration, but that does not in any way correspond with being a good zero gap NT. He is shooting the gap, not taking on double teams.

I haven't looked at the prospects too much left, but a dynamic OLB is my #1 choice. If Ghoulston is the best there I'm all for it.

Irish, I don't think it's only sour grapes from Pitt fans. I don't recall Faneca getting "so much push it's unbelievable" against our ****ty ass D line a few weeks ago.

I agree, he played very bad against us, whatever the reason. But believe me, I've watched this guy throughout the whole season (I see a lot of Steeler games as my Bro's a Pittsburgh fan) and Faneca really is an elite guard. He did have a bad day against us though admittedly.

Archived