Sign in to follow this  
Lil Bit Special

"PorkChop" Mascot Inflames Pa. Fans

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/04/sports/main3573855.shtml?source=RSSattr=U.S._3573855

Two days after naming its mascot "PorkChop," the Philadelphia Phillies' new Triple-A affiliate abruptly dropped the moniker after receiving complaints from Hispanics that it was offensive.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs, whose mascot is a large, furry pig, had selected PorkChop from more than 7,300 fan submissions

General Manager Kurt Landes said he heard from several Hispanics who said PorkChop was derogatory.

The team, which begins play in 2008, announced Monday that the mascot will be named "Ferrous" instead.

"We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word 'pork chop,"' Landes said. "If it offended a few, it's a few too many."

The name dredged up memories of prejudice and racism for some area residents.

"Here in the Lehigh Valley, the name for Puerto Ricans was pork chop and in particular in areas like the steel company and Mack Truck," said Guillermo Lopez, a Bethlehem Steel Corp. worker for 25 years. "I was called pork chop in the workplace," reported The Express-Times in Allentown.

"If my parents were alive, they'd be having fits," said Lopez, among those who complained to the team. "It meant much more to them than it does to Puerto Ricans now in the Lehigh Valley."

PorkChop had been submitted by 32 fans. The replacement name, Ferrous - from the Latin word "ferrum," or iron - received the most fan nominations, with 235.

"Thankfully because we have so much support in town, I think most of the e-mails were heads-up to say, 'I don't think you were aware of this,'" IronPigs spokesman Matt Provence said, according to the newspaper. "They were more instructive than they were resentful."

The team moved to Allentown from Ottawa - where it was known as the Lynx - following the 2007 season. Construction is wrapping up on a new stadium in east Allentown.

Wow. A Pig named Pork Chop is derogatory to hispanics? That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would even bet that most hispanics would agree.

I'm telling you, it's worse living now than when I was growing up as a kid...too much political correct BS. If any group of people should get insulted, it should be Native Americans. Guaranteed if they had a major voice in this country (vote), you would have seen names like Redskins dropped in a heartbeat.

So let me get this straight, Chief Wahoo and his awful grin is okay, but pork chop (and I'm still unclear how this is offensive. I've never heard this one) isn't? The Redskins and the Fighting Irish are okay, but this isn't? Unreal.

WTF ? How is Pork Chop offensive to hispanics. I'm hispanic and I have no clue what these idiots are talking about .

it was a derogatory term for puerto ricans in the lehigh valley area "back in the day"

btw, its not the only trouble this organization has had:

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/baseball_team_motorcycle_club_fight_over_iron_pigs/

The Iron Pigs Motorcycle Club, based in Bedford, informed the team earlier this week that it holds a trademark on the name and plans to take action to force the baseball team to change it.

The motorcycle club, made up of current or former law enforcement officers and firemen, registered its patch design and name with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office when the club was founded in 2000 in Oroville, Calif.

http://wfmz.com/view/?id=186731

Five-year-old Girl Names IronPigs Mascot

They have the voice, but Ironpigs baseball is not complete without one more detail. A name for the new mascot. Thousands of votes poured in for the team's plump pig, but only one name stuck. They'll call him PorkChop and he's the one you'll see leading the crowd this spring.

The contest winner is 5-year-old Kylie Shimkus of Easton. She also earned free IronPigs gear, tickets, and a chance to throw out the first ceremonial pitch at Coca-Cola Park.

Little racist. Wonder if she still gets the free goodies.....

web_11-14-07-IronPigMascot.jpg

My brother lives in Easton. I should ask him how much pub this story is getting there.

My brother lives in Easton. I should ask him how much pub this story is getting there.

:yawn: The whole thing sounds like much ado about nothing.

The replacement name "Ferrous" sucks.

A better choice would have been "Bacon-Face"