The offseason will be most interesting for two of our players....

NIGHT STALKER

Can't wait to see how the organization handles Pennington and Vilma in the offseason. While both of these guys will be expendable for the Jets, they could be players for other teams and provide the Jets with a few extra picks that can bring help to our O and D lines.

Pennington is a sure goner, IMO. He will be dealt for a 4th or 5th round pick. If we can get a 3rd, even better.

As for Vilma, he is most likely gone. David Harris has emerged and Eric Barton has not played badly at the other Inside Linebacker position, PLUS they could always re-sign Victor Hobson and move him to the Inside as well. Vilma will bring the most amount of draft picks or the draft pick that brings the greatest value. A team the runs a 43 defense will give us a 2nd round pick for sure.

penny to Minn

Vilma to Det

That's just the gut feeling i have. I'd much rather send vilma to baltimore, and think he would be a good fit down there, but we need to get suggs if that is going to happen. If we did land suggs i would expect very good things from this defense going into next season, despite not having another CB to compliment Revis (hopefully dyson gets healthy).

getting a 3rd or a 4th for penny is possible. He has had a track record for winning, and is damn smart, i can see a lot of coaches looking favorably on him, and willing to give up more than what most jet fans would think.

penny to Minn

Vilma to Det

That's just the gut feeling i have. I'd much rather send vilma to baltimore, and think he would be a good fit down there, but we need to get suggs if that is going to happen. If we did land suggs i would expect very good things from this defense going into next season, despite not having another CB to compliment Revis (hopefully dyson gets healthy).

getting a 3rd or a 4th for penny is possible. He has had a track record for winning, and is damn smart, i can see a lot of coaches looking favorably on him, and willing to give up more than what most jet fans would think.

Can't see Minny going after Pennington, they really like Tavaris Jackson and rightfully so. A more suitable location for Chad IMO would be Baltimore, they are a team that needs a QB that can manage the game and limit mistakes. I think he could really help that team out.

As for Vilma, I could actually see him going to somewhere like Minnesota, they could really do with a LB who can cover like Vilma and behind those big DT's I think he would excell there.

Can't see Minny going after Pennington, they really like Tavaris Jackson and rightfully so. A more suitable location for Chad IMO would be Baltimore, they are a team that needs a QB that can manage the game and limit mistakes. I think he could really help that team out.

As for Vilma, I could actually see him going to somewhere like Minnesota, they could really do with a LB who can cover like Vilma and behind those big DT's I think he would excell there.

Not sure about Minny for Vilma. They have a young Linbacker there in Henderson (or is it someone else? either way, he hits like a truck), and then greenway, who was another first rounder.

Detroit is a team built on speed. Ernie simms is making a killing out there on tackles, and could use the extra help in coverage. Detroit is just like the old rams, they need a fast defense for when teams try to air it out against them. I can't think of a better spot for Jon.

No way penny goes to baltimore. Boller has played well enough to be their stop gap while they go after, yet again, a QB in the draft.

Best fits for penny;

Minnesota

San Fran

Kansas City

Chicago (minus the wind, and the fact that their receivers are all deep threats, so maybe not)

Atlanta

Carolina

IDK, not a ton to pick from, but i can't see these programs being happy with their present QB's.

Why people see Penny headed toward Minnesota is beyond me. Tavaris Jackson is in his first full season as an NFL starting Quarterback since coming from a DII school so he has to have time to learn and progress. He already is doing do 10 starts into his career. He's going nowhere. He's the starter in Minnesota.

Top 3 Locations for Chad:

1. Atlanta - West Coast Offense & Dome.

2. Kansas City - Reunite with Herm.

3. Chicago - Very good defense & Devin Hester on Special Teams + Cedric Benson / Adrian Peterson.

Not sure about Minny for Vilma. They have a young Linbacker there in Henderson (or is it someone else? either way, he hits like a truck), and then greenway, who was another first rounder.

Detroit is a team built on speed. Ernie simms is making a killing out there on tackles, and could use the extra help in coverage. Detroit is just like the old rams, they need a fast defense for when teams try to air it out against them. I can't think of a better spot for Jon.

No way penny goes to baltimore. Boller has played well enough to be their stop gap while they go after, yet again, a QB in the draft.

Best fits for penny;

Minnesota

San Fran

Kansas City

Chicago (minus the wind, and the fact that their receivers are all deep threats, so maybe not)

Atlanta

Carolina

IDK, not a ton to pick from, but i can't see these programs being happy with their present QB's.

Minnesota - Like I said will be happy with Jackson, anyone who has watched him recently can see that he's really came along

San Fran - Will they give up on Alex Smith after the $$$ tehy dished out on him?? I don't think so.

Kansas City - Maybe, because Herm would love him there.

Chicago - Doubtful, I could actually see them giving Rex another year as long as he can show some form to end the season, I think they'll draft a QB too.

Atlanta - They are almost a Cert to draft Brian Brohm, they may take Penny though as a veteran to show the rookie the ropes.

Carolina - There's no way they give up on Jake Delhomme, he was playing well pre-injury and should be the starter when he returns.

Now back to Baltimore, Boller has played well enough to be their stop gap??? Really cause I don't think he has. If they do indeed draft a QB I don't see Kyle Boller being the 'mentor' so to speak unless you want the rookie to learn how to make mistakes and kill your team.

Pennington would be a great fit in Baltimore, they don't have a dowfield type offence and Chads arm would be capable enough for them. Possesion guys like Derrick mason and Todd Heap could excell with Chad at QB IMO.

This offseason is huge for this CS/FO.....Chad will be gone, hopefully we can get a good pick for him. However I'm still not willing to part with Vilma, I think if we get a true NT we shouldn't trade Vilma. I wanna see Vilma play behind a space eater @ NT.

If Vilma really did have the micro surgery, and has a long period of rehab, I think he could start next season on the PUP list, which makes it next to impossible to trade him.

CP will be traded or released before his bonus comes due. Tarvaris Jackson isnt so ensconced in the job that the Vikes wouldnt bring a QB in to compete for the starting job.

Possible Landing Spots for Pennington:

SF - Alex Smith sucks

Atl - actually a pretty good team that just needs somebody at QB

KC - Brodie Croyle sucks and Huard is old plus Herm and Chad know eachother

Chi - yet another team that needs a QB

Bal - McNair is done and Boller is inconsistent

Jets may actually be able to get a 3rd round pick for Pennington this off-season considering the high demand at the position.

As for Vilma, forget about him going to Detroit b/c they already have Ernie Sims.

The ideal landing spot for Vilma would be the Miami Dolphins since Zach Thomas is probably going to retire this off-season or at least he should. However, I doubt Tanenbaum would be dumb enough to trade Vilma inside the division unless he got a great deal for him.

Other possible landing spots for Vilma are the Saints, Bengals (their D is so bad Anthony Schlegel is getting playing time) and the Giants if they want to upgrade over Antonio Pierce.

Don't think it is for sure that Chad will be gone. Not predicting he stays, but won't be surprised if he does.

Here's why

The FO has shown in the past that they are not going to let players walk below value just because they want to.

I think they are going to want a 2nd rounder for him, and will play hard ball. As usual.

Clemens hasn't exactly lit it up. Not saying he is a bust. Just hasn't had enough time, and the OL stinks. The fact is he really hasn't played that well. Even in his two wins. If he doesn't show something against the Browns, who have a weak D, and KC, I think the front office will be very nervous going into next season with just him.

I know Pennington makes a ton of money for a back up, but there will also be a significant cap hit if he is cut or traded. Plus the Jets will have a lot of cap money next season. Not expecting a ton of BIG FA signings this season.

If Pennington is told it will be an open camp, don't think he will moan to much.

If the Jets go in the toilet next season due to a QB injury, I think Tangini can say bye bye.

Think it is real possible Pennington will still be here next season.

Hope Clemens lights it up and makes this a moot point, but he hasn't yet.

Vilma isnt going anywhere.Vilma-Harris-Hobson an awesome set of LBs.

Pennington I dont think there is going to be many takers for a 3-4rd pick.He may restructure and remain a Jet.

i can't think of a worse linebacker in the NFL than Victor Hobson. Not including backers that are starting due to injury...hell half of them are way better than that pile.

Hobson is utter garbage.

Pennington or Vilma won't go anywhere if the value the JEts get back in return doesn't equal their possible contribution. Chad would probably be the best back up QB in the league next season and that could be valuable to a coach and GM that maybe playing for thier jobs. Ditto Vilma. Odds are you aren't going to find two better players in rounds 2 and 3 which is the best case scenerio as you guys point out. The Jets cap situation is great - so that is not an issue in trading them either. If someone like the Skins or Bengals want to cough up a high second or 1st then we can talk otherwise we need all the players that can possibly contribute that we can get.

Vilma isnt going anywhere.Vilma-Harris-Hobson an awesome set of LBs.

Pennington I dont think there is going to be many takers for a 3-4rd pick.He may restructure and remain a Jet.

Hobson isn't under contract for next year. If we wanted him we'd have worked something out by now.

Pennington wants to start more than he wants to remain a Jet.

-------------------

Actually the one I think would be the most "interesting" is DRob. He's got about a $10M cap number next year. Do the Jets:

1) let him count $10M against the 2008 cap

2) cut him

3) trade him

4) lower his cap # temporarily by signing him to an extension

Can't wait to see how the organization handles Pennington and Vilma in the offseason. While both of these guys will be expendable for the Jets, they could be players for other teams and provide the Jets with a few extra picks that can bring help to our O and D lines.

don`t thin he is just yet. we are uncertain about clemens. sure he has shown sighns oh a good qb,but we need a solid back up. unless we go to a 4 -3 vilma will give a secon ,or high 3rd. we shoud also cut ,or trade(if he has ne value barret) trafe mc carins,and basically build tru the draft. o line we can get thru ree agentcy,but we ned a big 350 pound nose tackle,and a pass rushing end

Archived