Double Wing Offense

A-ZONE

Is the double wing the offense where basically the center can snap it to anyone in the backfield and you really don't have a true qb? If so, we encountered a team that ran that offense in high school. Craziest thing I ever saw.

Is the double wing the offense where basically the center can snap it to anyone in the backfield and you really don't have a true qb? If so, we encountered a team that ran that offense in high school. Craziest thing I ever saw.

Alk,

No there is a true QB. Its more of a misdirection offense with wingback off each tackle.

Alot of motion where the QB opens one direction but the ball is actually going the other way..Full back is right on the QB'S ass really to be hidden so he can be a lead blocker on most plays. I have been told Navy uses this offense and some other college teams.

HS teams have been using it more frequently over the past few years. Im trying to utilize it at a Pop warner level.

Alk,

No there is a true QB. Its more of a misdirection offense with wingback off each tackle.

Alot of motion where the QB opens one direction but the ball is actually going the other way..Full back is right on the QB'S ass really to be hidden so he can be a lead blocker on most plays. I have been told Navy uses this offense and some other college teams.

HS teams have been using it more frequently over the past few years. Im trying to utilize it at a Pop warner level.

Single Wing is more common, with a TE lined up next to either tackle, another TE right off behind the right side of the TE on the line and a RB next to him, behind the left side of the TE on the .line. They're kind of in a wing formation. A WR is typically lined up on the other side of the line and the QB is in a shotgun formation with the FB next to him on the side of the TE's and RB on the wing. It is used for power runs towards the "wing" where lots of blockers are in front. For misdirection, the QB runs a sweep the opposite way, the FB blocks underneath him, an the RB also pulss a sweep in the same direction. The QB has the option to run it himself or shovel pass it to the RB who will have the FB in front blocking for him. Most single wing plays I have ever seen are either a QB run or a shovel pass to the RB underneath. Sometimes the QB just hands it to the FB next to him for a run up the middle.

If I had to guess, I would Imagine Double Wing replaces the WR with a TE lined up next to the Tackle on the opposite side of the line and the RB or FB lined up on that side as well. It would probably be an empty backfield set. with misdirection runs and options/shovel passes. Could get very messy if it didn't work.

Single Wing is more common, with a TE lined up next to either tackle, another TE right off behind the right side of the TE on the line and a RB next to him, behind the left side of the TE on the .line. They're kind of in a wing formation. A WR is typically lined up on the other side of the line and the QB is in a shotgun formation with the FB next to him on the side of the TE's and RB on the wing. It is used for power runs towards the "wing" where lots of blockers are in front. For misdirection, the QB runs a sweep the opposite way, the FB blocks underneath him, an the RB also pulss a sweep in the same direction. The QB has the option to run it himself or shovel pass it to the RB who will have the FB in front blocking for him. Most single wing plays I have ever seen are either a QB run or a shovel pass to the RB underneath. Sometimes the QB just hands it to the FB next to him for a run up the middle.

If I had to guess, I would Imagine Double Wing replaces the WR with a TE lined up next to the Tackle on the opposite side of the line and the RB or FB lined up on that side as well. It would probably be an empty backfield set. with misdirection runs and options/shovel passes. Could get very messy if it didn't work.

BoozerYour guess is right..

basically outside the ends there is a wingback on each side of them off the line.

Fullback 1 yard behind the QB. Amazingly there are alot of plays that can be run from this TIGHT formation with motion. Its all abotu deception and hiding the ball.

BoozerYour guess is right..

basically outside the ends there is a wingback on each side of them off the line.

Fullback 1 yard behind the QB. Amazingly there are alot of plays that can be run from this TIGHT formation with motion. Its all abotu deception and hiding the ball.

That deception can sometimes come back to bite you in Pop Warner levels. If you are running alot of motion nd giving the QB alot of options with the ball it will tend to lead to mistakes and turnovers at times.

Personally speaking, I'd go about it this way; If you have solid talent on your team, I'd stick to a Wishbone type of offense where your QB has the option to run either way and only lateral to the one guy. Their athleticism will overcome the simplicity of the offense. If your players are not athletically gifted as the rest of the league, then I might consider running a trickier stye of offense such as the Single Wing or Double Wing. Of course, if you actually have a kid who can thow the ball well , then maybe you can go with a Pro formation with the HB and FB lined up behind the QB equally sie by side with 2 WR's and a TE. This formation allows the FB to always lead block for run plays as well as stay bac to block for the QB on pass plays. The RB can either block or run swing and underneath routes.

That deception can sometimes come back to bite you in Pop Warner levels. If you are running alot of motion nd giving the QB alot of options with the ball it will tend to lead to mistakes and turnovers at times.

Personally speaking, I'd go about it this way; If you have solid talent on your team, I'd stick to a Wishbone type of offense where your QB has the option to run either way and only lateral to the one guy. Their athleticism will overcome the simplicity of the offense. If your players are not athletically gifted as the rest of the league, then I might consider running a trickier stye of offense such as the Single Wing or Double Wing. Of course, if you actually have a kid who can thow the ball well , then maybe you can go with a Pro formation with the HB and FB lined up behind the QB equally sie by side with 2 WR's and a TE. This formation allows the FB to always lead block for run plays as well as stay bac to block for the QB on pass plays. The RB can either block or run swing and underneath routes.

Boozer have you coached?

Our division are 10,11,12 year olds, and very athletic iin my association.

Problem is teams like Poughkeepsie and Newburgh are sickly fast kids and we have problems only beating those teams. We do compete with everyone else. I want to be able to have an offense that will confuse the fast teams and slow them down.

Archived