Wireless connection help please...

vinnys025

I have moved to NM to train before I go to Iraq so I am now trying to find out how to set up this wireless connection at my new lodging quarters which is free!! Ok, I have three questions.

1-What is better, connection % or that 1(g), 6(g), or 11(g) which is also in the different connections windows.

2-Should I get a usb adapter that can run dual 108 since I have more than one option on my connections tab?

3-Can someone please recommend my best option on adapters and such...maybe a link even? Thanks in advance.

Take the greatest connection percentage. Then, if it's slow, move on down that list until you find one you're okay with. Your computer should come with some form of built-in wireless if it was made in the last 5 years at least. If it doesn't, some wireless adapters only work with a certain router type, so I couldn't really help you out there.

As for the rest, ask Tabor.

I'm using a PC and it didn't come with a wireless connection. I had to buy the wireless connection for the usb. I'm using a foxconn motherboard, 2.6ghz pentium, 2.0 usb connection. Got a descent video and audio card. I put together the compter myself from scratch.

Take the greatest connection percentage. Then, if it's slow, move on down that list until you find one you're okay with. Your computer should come with some form of built-in wireless if it was made in the last 5 years at least. If it doesn't, some wireless adapters only work with a certain router type, so I couldn't really help you out there.

As for the rest, ask Tabor.

I just wanted to know what the 1, 6, and 11G was for and if that mattered which one I connected to.

I saw a wireless adapter for the PC that says it can do double 108 connections and it says high speed. I wonder if I could use that and take the main hub and another's bandwidth at the same time to increase bandwidth for me....basically be a bandwidth hog. Like I said I'm new to this wireless stuff so correct me if i'm wrong.

An 11G adapter should be backwards compatible to the wireless source if it's not 11G, which it probably is, anyway. I don't know anything about doubling up.

I guess what I'm asking is, which is the best adapter I could get to pick up the best signal, and maybe steal some others.....

I guess what I'm asking is, which is the best adapter I could get to pick up the best signal, and maybe steal some others.....

I don't know if this helps, but for my older PC I use a Linksys Wireless USB Network Adapter that came with my router that picks up my signal and also a bunch of other signals. I'm not too computer-literate though, I'd just put myself in that little "handy" group.

I saw a wireless adapter for the PC that says it can do double 108 connections and it says high speed. I wonder if I could use that and take the main hub and another's bandwidth at the same time to increase bandwidth for me....basically be a bandwidth hog. Like I said I'm new to this wireless stuff so correct me if i'm wrong.

I think the router you are getting the signal from has to be able to transmit at the higher bandwidth - it has to utilize the 108g standard. Just having a 108g capable card will not automatically mean you will get better throughput. The 1, 6, 11 you mention are channels (frequencies) that the router transmits on. Find the router/access point in the area with the best connection and let the wireless card worry about channels. Channels are only used to allow for multiple routers/access points to be in the same general area without interfering with each other. Best of luck with your training!

Archived