Sign in to follow this  
BUM-KNEE

HOCKEY EAST

23 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

UMaine goaltender joins Long Island University team as graduate transfer

By Pete Warner, BDN Staff  June 16, 2020 6:56 pm  

Stephen Mundinger’s career with the University of Maine men’s hockey team was spent as a seldom-used backup.

Now, the graduate transfer may have one final opportunity to prove himself as a college goaltender.

Mundinger plans next season to join the fledgling program at Long Island University, according to media reports and as first reported on Twitter by Mark Divver.

The move will mark a homecoming for the 6-foot-8, 260-pound Mundinger, who hails from Smithtown, New York, on Long Island.

Among the competition for Mundinger at LIU will be former Boston University goalie Vinnie Purpura, who also is a graduate transfer.

Mundinger never fit into the plans of the coaching staff at UMaine, where he appeared in only six games from 2016-2020. He logged a 3.58 goals-against average and an .892 save percentage, but did not have any decisions.

He sat out the 2019-2020 season as a redshirt.

When Mundinger committed to UMaine in 2016, he was one of five goaltenders expected to be in the program that fall. He has the distinction of being the tallest goalie in Black Bears history, beating out Ben Bishop, who is now with the National Hockey League’s Dallas Stars.

Long Island University announced in April that it was adding a men’s hockey program. Brett Riley, a former assistant coach at Colgate University, recently was hired as the Sharks’ head coach.

The 6-6 Purpura appeared in six games at Boston University from 2018-2020. He posted an 0-4 record with a 3.75 GAA and an .893 save percentage.

Did this guy backup Swayman? I didn’t know there was another college hockey fan on this board although I must say I’m an ECAC man, Cornell is my team. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14454711

42e79716c92e12dbf852dc98ab28266e.gif

Lol I didn’t go to Cornell like Andy but my family’s had a house in Ithaca for 50 years so you start going to the games. My favorite Andy Cornell moment is when he goes “Its pronounced Cornell, it’s the highest rank in the Ivy League!”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Yeah he didnt see the ice much though.

Im a Black Bears fan, started this thread many many moons ago. LOL

I can tell lol. Way back in 07. 

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company