HOCKEY EAST

BUM-KNEE

http://www.firedickumile.com/

Who's content with beating Boston College in every regular season game and then losing to them when it matters in the Hockey East semifinals?

Who's content with UNH losing in the first round again while B.C. goes to the Frozen Four? Didn't we beat them in every regular season game this year?!

UNH fans are clowns.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Hockey East Updates:

http://bangornews.com/news/t/sports.aspx?a=163691

Coaches give replay green light

By Larry Mahoney

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - Bangor Daily News

Every April, the American College Hockey Coaches Association holds its annual convention in Florida to allow the coaches to discuss concerns and ways to improve their sport. The coaches also hold their respective league meetings.

Maine coach Tim Whitehead said last week

• 1 month later...

http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1213057205199790.xml&coll=1

Tuesday, June 10, 2008By RON CHIMELIS

rchimelis@repub.com

SOUTH HADLEY - The University of Massachusetts hockey coach says he's moving on, but concedes it's not easy after losing a prized recruit and a lifelong hero at the same time.

"I'm bitter, but I'm not surprised, because it happens all the time," said Don "Toot" Cahoon, who signed John Carlson to a scholarship last year, only to learn last week the highly-touted defenseman was going to the London (Ont.) Knights of the Ontario Hockey League.

Carlson was to have entered UMass in the fall.

It is the first time this has happened to Cahoon at UMass, and Carlson was no ordinary recruit. He is a projected NHL first-round draft choice, the first such player Cahoon had ever signed for the Minutemen.

Carlson's change of heart was still on Cahoon's mind yesterday at The Orchards, where the 8th Annual Pond Club Golf Tournament was held. The event raises funds for UMass hockey.

Still upbeat about his team's future, Cahoon admitted he was irked by Carlson's change of heart, but equally bothered that communication with the player was shut off as Carlson was changing his mind.

Cahoon blames the player's advisors.

"We spend so much time building up lines of communication, and at the 11th hour, it's shut off," he said. A player loses his future NCAA eligibility if he chooses to play in the OHL, a major junior league.

Carlson was being advised by none other than Bobby Orr, Cahoon's boyhood hero. That was especially disillusioning.

"I grew up idolizing Bobby Orr," said Cahoon, 59, who grew up in Marblehead, where Orr's Bruins were all the rage in his youth.

"I don't know to what extent he was involved, but his name was out there," Cahoon said.

According to Cahoon, Carlson was also being advised by Dale Dunbar, a UMass assistant coach in the 1990s, before Cahoon arrived.

Carlson, who is from Colonia, N.J., signed with UMass in 2007. According to "The NHL Source," an Internet hockey site, the player was quoted as saying he'd always dreamed of playing in Hockey East and found UMass the best fit.

After the Knights drafted him May 3, it was still believed Carlson would follow through on his plan to play at UMass.

Cahoon said once Carlson changed plans, he told the UMass coach it was entirely his choice. Cahoon said he doesn't really believe that.

He says he harbors no ill wishes toward Carlson, who scored 12 goals for the Indiana Ice of the United States Hockey League last season.

A player does not lose NCAA eligibility by playing in the USHL, as he does in the OHL.

"I hope John makes it (to the NHL), I truly do," Cahoon said. "For some kids, this is the right move.

"But history shows if a kid has a good academic record, as John does, he'll make it by playing in college, anyway."

The UMass coach said signing with the OHL gives agents a quicker financial return than the college choice does.

He thinks the system works to the player's disadvantage, because Carlson cannot reverse course and play college hockey, if the OHL doesn't work out for him.

The Minutemen, meanwhile, have nothing to show for the scholarship they tied up in Carlson for a year.

But Cahoon says he's moving on. This week, he'll scout top high school players from hockey-rich Minnesota, though none are old enough to be available next season, as Carlson would have been.

"We open our season with Michigan State and North Dakota, so we'll find out quickly what we've got," he said.

Cahoon already knows what UMass will not have - John Carlson.

"I'ts not sour grapes, just reality," Cahoon said. "I'm trying to let it go."

This really f$cking sucks. He was going to be the centerpiece for UMass hockey and our move forward. But once again our lousy past gets in the way.

Carlson's advisors: Bobby Orr, whose newphew played at UMass when we sucked balls. And an assistant coach who was at UMass when we sucked. And that assistant coach works for the Orr hockey group. Guess someone has bitter memories of UMass.

Oh well... just have to move on. Everyone else has to deal with stuff like this- except for maybe Merrimack.:)

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/stories/060608aad.html WAKEFIELD, Mass. -- The University of Maine men's ice hockey team led all Hockey East schools with 16 student-athletes named to the 2007-08 All-Academic Team, announced on June 6, 2008. In addition, junior Chris Hahn (Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan) was named one of three Hockey East Top Scholar-Athletes.

Travis Ramsey (Lakewood, Calif.) was named a Hockey East Distinguished Scholar-Athlete, while Hahn and Tanner House (Cochrane, Alberta) both earned a spot on the Hockey East Academic All-Star Team.

A total of 91 Hockey East student-athletes were named to the Honor Roll. Maine led all Hockey East schools with 16 student-athletes named to the All-Academic Team.

The 16 student-athletes named to the team for Maine is an all-time high. It is six more than Maine finished with during the 2004-05 season when 10 student-athletes were honored.

UMass Lowell finished behind the Black Bears in second place as the River Hawks had 13 student-athletes namd to the team, while UMass had 12 student-athletes honored.

Merrimack and Vermont each placed 10 student-athletes on the all-academic team followed by Boston College (8), New Hampshire and Providence (7), Northeastern (5) and Boston University (3).

Hahn along with New Hampshire's Brad Flaishans and UMass Lowell's Frank Stegnar were the first trio to be named Hockey East's Top Scholar-Athlete. It marks the first time in the 24-year history of the league that three student-athletes achieved a 4.00 GPA for the year.

Ramsey was one of three student-athletes to be named a Hockey East "Distinguished Scholar". He was joined by Flaishans and Mike Kostka of UMass. The three earned a 3.0 or higher in each of semester over four varsity seasons.

<i>Hahn and rookie Tanner House were named to the Hockey East Academic All-Star Team which honors the top grade-point-averages by position. Maine was the lone school to have two players selected to the Academic All-Star Team.

</i><i>Ramsey has been named to the Hockey East Academic Honor Roll four times. Hahn was named to the team for the third time in his career. Ben Bishop (Des Peres, Mo.) and Keenan Hopson (Prince George, British Columbia) were both honored for the second time in their careers.

</i>

<i></i>

<i>Glenn Belmore (Cornwall, Ontario), Brett CarriereSimon Danis-Pepin (Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec), Robby DeeJeff Dimmen (Colorado Springs, Colo.), Shane Foley (Clinton, N.Y.), House, Keif Orsini (Montreal, Quebec), Lem Randall (Snow Lake, Manitoba), Andrew Sweetland (Bonavista, Newfoundland), Josh VanDyk (Woodstock, Ontario) and Dave Wilson (Caledon East, Ontario) were all named to the team for the first time in their careers. </i> (Ottawa, Ontario), (Plymouth, Minn.),

<i>To earn a spot on the Hockey East All-Academic Team, a student-athletes must post a 3.0 grade-point-average or higher in both of the academic semesters during the ice hockey season. </i>

<i> -U-M-</i>

Hey Gainzo--- the 2 road games at Amherst are both Saturdays... 11/15 and 2/7.

and we are def. going to the game at Tsongas 1/17.... unless the Jets are in the playoffs.....:rl:

Road trip!

Count me in for the road trips to Amherst and of course the game in Lowell.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.superiortelegram.com/articles/index.cfm?id=30340&section=Sports

Instead of heading to Tampa, Fla. for some holiday hockey this January, the University of Minnesota Duluth will now ring in the New Year by taking part in the first-ever Shillelagh Tournament at the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Ill.

The event, originally scheduled as the Lightning College Hockey Classic, will also feature the University of Notre Dame, the University of Massachusetts-Lowell and Union College.

The tournament that was hosted by the National Hockey League

• 1 month later...
Congrats to the Riverhawks on their "upset victory on the road against Mich. St. That hopefully will go a long way in getting into the NCAA tourney.

Good win last night. UML out shot Michigan State 30 something to 16. I'm listening to tonight's game on WUML. Bob Ellis is a great play-by-play announcer.

• 11 years later...

UMaine goaltender joins Long Island University team as graduate transfer

By Pete Warner, BDN Staff  June 16, 2020 6:56 pm  

Stephen Mundinger’s career with the University of Maine men’s hockey team was spent as a seldom-used backup.

Now, the graduate transfer may have one final opportunity to prove himself as a college goaltender.

Mundinger plans next season to join the fledgling program at Long Island University, according to media reports and as first reported on Twitter by Mark Divver.

The move will mark a homecoming for the 6-foot-8, 260-pound Mundinger, who hails from Smithtown, New York, on Long Island.

Among the competition for Mundinger at LIU will be former Boston University goalie Vinnie Purpura, who also is a graduate transfer.

Mundinger never fit into the plans of the coaching staff at UMaine, where he appeared in only six games from 2016-2020. He logged a 3.58 goals-against average and an .892 save percentage, but did not have any decisions.

He sat out the 2019-2020 season as a redshirt.

When Mundinger committed to UMaine in 2016, he was one of five goaltenders expected to be in the program that fall. He has the distinction of being the tallest goalie in Black Bears history, beating out Ben Bishop, who is now with the National Hockey League’s Dallas Stars.

Long Island University announced in April that it was adding a men’s hockey program. Brett Riley, a former assistant coach at Colgate University, recently was hired as the Sharks’ head coach.

The 6-6 Purpura appeared in six games at Boston University from 2018-2020. He posted an 0-4 record with a 3.75 GAA and an .893 save percentage.

23 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

UMaine goaltender joins Long Island University team as graduate transfer

By Pete Warner, BDN Staff  June 16, 2020 6:56 pm  

Stephen Mundinger’s career with the University of Maine men’s hockey team was spent as a seldom-used backup.

Now, the graduate transfer may have one final opportunity to prove himself as a college goaltender.

Mundinger plans next season to join the fledgling program at Long Island University, according to media reports and as first reported on Twitter by Mark Divver.

The move will mark a homecoming for the 6-foot-8, 260-pound Mundinger, who hails from Smithtown, New York, on Long Island.

Among the competition for Mundinger at LIU will be former Boston University goalie Vinnie Purpura, who also is a graduate transfer.

Mundinger never fit into the plans of the coaching staff at UMaine, where he appeared in only six games from 2016-2020. He logged a 3.58 goals-against average and an .892 save percentage, but did not have any decisions.

He sat out the 2019-2020 season as a redshirt.

When Mundinger committed to UMaine in 2016, he was one of five goaltenders expected to be in the program that fall. He has the distinction of being the tallest goalie in Black Bears history, beating out Ben Bishop, who is now with the National Hockey League’s Dallas Stars.

Long Island University announced in April that it was adding a men’s hockey program. Brett Riley, a former assistant coach at Colgate University, recently was hired as the Sharks’ head coach.

The 6-6 Purpura appeared in six games at Boston University from 2018-2020. He posted an 0-4 record with a 3.75 GAA and an .893 save percentage.

Did this guy backup Swayman? I didn’t know there was another college hockey fan on this board although I must say I’m an ECAC man, Cornell is my team. 

14 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Did this guy backup Swayman? I didn’t know there was another college hockey fan on this board although I must say I’m an ECAC man, Cornell is my team. 

Yeah he didnt see the ice much though.

Im a Black Bears fan, started this thread many many moons ago. LOL