HOCKEY EAST

BUM-KNEE

UMASS WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OFF TO DURHAM!!!!!!!!!!

JUST GOT MY TICKETS FOR SATURDAY!!!!

Congrats to you and my condolences to BUM-KNEE.

I've never been to the Whittemore Center. What is the atmosphere like?

Congrats to you and my condolences to BUM-KNEE.

I've never been to the Whittemore Center. What is the atmosphere like?

its pretty crazy (havent been there since the '97 HE semi's... my last game as a waterboy..)

its very enjoyable. the arena is a lot like Tsongas... small bowl. loud. and the fish thrown on the ice after the first goal is great.

Positive thinking my friend.

I am already visualizng us sitting at The Fours on Friday the 21st getting ready for VT vs. Umass and BC vs. Lowell.....

We would be at Sullys Tap. That's my kind of place.

Lowell is going to play BU tough. Lowell once knocked off UNH when they had home ice. Anything can happen*

*As you can see, I'm trying to convince myself that Lowell can beat BU.

We would be at Sullys Tap. That's my kind of place.

Lowell is going to play BU tough. Lowell once knocked off UNH when they had home ice. Anything can happen*

*As you can see, I'm trying to convince myself that Lowell can beat BU.

well... i like the fours clam chowda the best... but we'll go to sullys for the heavy drinking!!!

well... i like the fours clam chowda the best... but we'll go to sullys for the heavy drinking!!!

The food at The FFours is pretty good, but I'm not a big fan of the bartenders.

At Sully's Tap it's all business. Order drink, receive drink, pay for drink!

Thanks for dropping in 4 months after the thread was started. j/k

The Celtics won by 30 tonight so all is good in the world of sports.

Lil Bit: Looks like it will be me and you keeping this thread alive next week.

umaine sports in general are going downhill

Thanks for dropping in 4 months after the thread was started. j/k

The Celtics won by 30 tonight so all is good in the world of sports.

Lil Bit: Looks like it will be me and you keeping this thread alive next week.

who knows... maybe Maine will fire Whitehead...

and hopefully we will have hockey to watch after next weekend....:P

Looks like Hockey East is going to have some trouble with the NCAA's..

right now we only have 3 teams with a PWR above 15.

here's the link:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pwr.php

only the top 14 get in due to 2 automatic bids given to weaker conferences.

So, everyone (except UNH...) needs to do well in the tourney to secure their bid.

Its going to be an interesting 2 weeks...

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/030808aab.html

UMass Hockey Secures Playoff Bid With 4-2 Win Over Merrimack

UMass will face New Hampshire in the Hockey East Quarterfinals

March 8, 2008

Andover, Mass. - The UMass Hockey team secured the eighth-seed in the Hockey East Playoffs on Saturday evening defeating the Merrimack Warriors 4-2 at Lawler Arena. James Marcou led the Minutemen with three assists, while Paul Dainton made 30 saves in goal for the win. The Minutemen scored two goals in the third period to secure their sixth consecutive Hockey East Playoff appearance. UMass (14-14-6, 9-13-5 HEA) will travel to Durham, N.H. on Friday to face No. 1 seed New Hampshire in the best-of-three quarterfinals.

UMass received goals from four different scorers in the contest, including Mike Kostka's seventh power play goal of the season. The assistant captain of the Minutemen, David Leaderer, played in his 147th game of his career, which is a new school record.

The Minutemen took an early lead in the first period only to see the Warriors fight back with a goal of their own two minutes later. UMass responded late in the first with a goal from Alex Berry with 18.3 seconds left.

The Minutemen had multiple scoring chances throughout the first period, and scored twice to take the lead after the first 20 minutes. The Warriors scored once during the opening frame to go into the locker room down 2-1. Will Ortiz almost got the scoring started just 2:50 into the frame when he shot the puck from the right faceoff circle, but ringed off the post.

After matching penalties was called on both teams, Merrimack (12-18-4, 6-18-3 HEA) was assessed another penalty 18 seconds later which gave UMass its first power play of the evening. Just 31 seconds into the man-advantage, Marcou fed Kostka with a pass down low. Kostka one-timed the puck, which hit Merrimack goalie Andrew Brathwaite in the mask. Kostka gathered the rebound and poked the puck past Brathwaite for the 1-0 lead.

spacer.gif

The lead was short-lived, however, as Merrimack tied the score nearly two minutes after the Kostka goal. Matt Jones gloved the puck down in the neutral zone and fired a pass to Francois Ouimet. Ouimet flew into the UMass zone and shot the puck five-hole past Dainton.

The Minutemen retook the lead with under 20 seconds to play in the period when Berry got his sixth goal in his last seven games. Marcou carried the puck into the offensive zone and lifted the puck over a sprawling Warrior defenseman to Berry. Berry gathered the puck and tapped it home for the 2-1 lead.

The Warriors outshot the Minutemen 9-6 in the second period, and scored the lone goal of the stanza to tie the game at two. The UMass defense limited the Merrimack chances early in the period by blocking shots and forcing the Warrior forwards to the sides of the rink.

Merrimack nearly tied the score eight minutes into the frame when a Warrior forward fired a low shot on Dainton. But the freshman netminder flashed his left pad to make the save. Merrimack would not be denied, however, as Joe Cucci scored his third goal of the season when he fired the puck from the middle to the ice that beat Dainton glove side.

The Minutemen had a couple chances to retake the lead late in the second frame. When UMass was on a three-on-two, Jordan Virtue fed Ortiz at the top of the faceoff dot. Ortiz rifled a shot that just went over the net. As the period came to a close, P.J. Fenton and Berry went in two-on-one. The Merrimack defender played the pass, forcing Fenton to shoot. The shot hit Brathwaite in the chest and he swallowed the rebound.

Merrimack had their chances in the third period, but two quick goals by UMass put the game out of reach. UMass had some chances to take the lead early in the period, but could not capitalize on their opportunities. Chris Davis intercepted a pass at the blueline and skated in on Brathwaite. Davis let a wrist shot go that hit Brathwaite blocker side. The Minutemen had another chance when Kostka fired a shot from the right side. The rebound trickled to the other side of the net, where Marcou was waiting, but he could not settle the bouncing puck. The Warriors started to pressure Dainton and the UMass defense near the midway mark of the period, but Dainton made two huge saves to keep the game tied.

UMass took the lead with 7:43 to play in regulation when the Warriors failed to clear the puck. Quirk gathered the puck near the left faceoff dot and fired a turn around shot that beat Brathwaite to the left. The Minutemen added an insurance marker on a delayed penalty on Merrimack. Dainton sprinted to the bench to give UMass an extra attacker. Virtue hopped the boards and skated into the Merrimack zone. Ortiz fed Virtue with a pass, who one timed the puck past Brathwaite.

Well the Black Bears football program wasnt exactly a powerhouse program anyway, too bad Lofa Tatupu didnt stay here instead of transferring to Cali. That defense was good with Lofa (Sea), Devito (Jets), King (was on Jets in camp)and Stone (Atl). We do have Bill Parcells nephew on the O-line.

The hockey program will struggle again next year unless the sophomores really step up, which is why they saw a bunch of ice time this year. The transition period to get them productive was started this year as freshmen, so it may not be too bad but Im looking at finishing in the bottom half of HE again.

ya never know... Lowell was crap last year and got their asses handed to them with a young team... this year they were much improved.

Maine might not be a top 4 next year, but should be back in the thick of things. Ended the year on an up-note at least.

Well the Black Bears football program wasnt exactly a powerhouse program anyway, too bad Lofa Tatupu didnt stay here instead of transferring to Cali. That defense was good with Lofa (Sea), Devito (Jets), King (was on Jets in camp)and Stone (Atl). We do have Bill Parcells nephew on the O-line.

The hockey program will struggle again next year unless the sophomores really step up, which is why they saw a bunch of ice time this year. The transition period to get them productive was started this year as freshmen, so it may not be too bad but Im looking at finishing in the bottom half of HE again.

ya never know... Lowell was crap last year and got their asses handed to them with a young team... this year they were much improved.

Maine might not be a top 4 next year, but should be back in the thick of things. Ended the year on an up-note at least.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13977

Ben Bishop To Sign With St. Louis This Week?

March 9, 2008, 9:25 PM ET [1 Comments] button1-bm.gif

Recently Maine goaltender Ben Bishop has gotten lost in the mix when it comes to St. Louis Blues prospects.

We hear on a daily basis, for good reason, about super prospects Patrik Berglund, Lars Eller, and TJ Oshie.

The Blues organization is just as excited about Bishop, and fans should be as well.

If Bishop Progresses in the fashion the Blues think he can, he has number one NHL goalie potential written all over him.

With that being said, it takes time and patience with goaltenders. All goalies develop at different speeds and it's hard to project when a golatender will be ready to make the jump into the NHL.

Marek Schwarz is a good example of how not to get too excited too soon. Schwartz, a first round pick in 2004, is still developing and still has a chance to be a quality NHL goalie.

Bishop fills the net with his imposing 6

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13977

Ben Bishop To Sign With St. Louis This Week?

March 9, 2008, 9:25 PM ET [1 Comments] button1-bm.gif

Recently Maine goaltender Ben Bishop has gotten lost in the mix when it comes to St. Louis Blues prospects.

We hear on a daily basis, for good reason, about super prospects Patrik Berglund, Lars Eller, and TJ Oshie.

The Blues organization is just as excited about Bishop, and fans should be as well.

If Bishop Progresses in the fashion the Blues think he can, he has number one NHL goalie potential written all over him.

With that being said, it takes time and patience with goaltenders. All goalies develop at different speeds and it's hard to project when a golatender will be ready to make the jump into the NHL.

Marek Schwarz is a good example of how not to get too excited too soon. Schwartz, a first round pick in 2004, is still developing and still has a chance to be a quality NHL goalie.

Bishop fills the net with his imposing 6

Yeah I hope they can play smarter next year LBS, if Bishop is gone it will be even tougher.