Sheffield miffed at reported trade rumors

TaborJet

ESPN.com news services

Gary Sheffield does not want to play for the Mets or any team other than the Yankees this season.

"I'm not going anywhere," Sheffield told The New York Times on Wednesday. The Yankees and Mets reportedly were in discussions about a possible Sheffield-for-Mike Cameron swap.

"If I have to go somewhere, I won't go," the Yankees' slugger told The Times. "If they said 'wouldn't you want to get paid', I'd say 'I've got plenty of money.' I'm not playing nowhere else, I can promise you that."

Sheffield is signed through 2006 and does not have a no-trade clause in his contract. He signed a three-year, $39 million contract in December 2003.

The Yankees reportedly are interested in upgrading their defense by placing Cameron in center. The Mets would add another powerful bat to the middle of their order with Sheffield, who plays right field for the Yankees.

Sheffield seemed to hedge in another interview with MLB.com, saying he would want concessions for signing off on any trade.

"If I have to go somewhere else, a lot of things are going to have to be changed or you're going to have an unhappy player," Sheffield told MLB.com.

"I'll ask for everything. Period. You want to inconvenience me, I'm going to inconvenience every situation there is," he added. "The only reason I'm playing is that I wanted to play for the Yankees. If I don't get that opportunity, things change."

Sheffield, who negotiated his current contract personally with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, did say that he wouldn't hold out if he were to be traded.

"I would never sit out," Sheffield told MLB.com. "I'd go play, but that doesn't mean I'll be happy playing. If I'm not happy, you don't want me on your team. It's that simple. I'll make that known to anybody."

ESPN.com news services

Gary Sheffield does not want to play for the Mets or any team other than the Yankees this season.

"I'm not going anywhere," Sheffield told The New York Times on Wednesday. The Yankees and Mets reportedly were in discussions about a possible Sheffield-for-Mike Cameron swap.

"If I have to go somewhere, I won't go," the Yankees' slugger told The Times. "If they said 'wouldn't you want to get paid', I'd say 'I've got plenty of money.' I'm not playing nowhere else, I can promise you that."

Sheffield is signed through 2006 and does not have a no-trade clause in his contract. He signed a three-year, $39 million contract in December 2003.

The Yankees reportedly are interested in upgrading their defense by placing Cameron in center. The Mets would add another powerful bat to the middle of their order with Sheffield, who plays right field for the Yankees.

Sheffield seemed to hedge in another interview with MLB.com, saying he would want concessions for signing off on any trade.

"If I have to go somewhere else, a lot of things are going to have to be changed or you're going to have an unhappy player," Sheffield told MLB.com.

"I'll ask for everything. Period. You want to inconvenience me, I'm going to inconvenience every situation there is," he added. "The only reason I'm playing is that I wanted to play for the Yankees. If I don't get that opportunity, things change."

Sheffield, who negotiated his current contract personally with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, did say that he wouldn't hold out if he were to be traded.

"I would never sit out," Sheffield told MLB.com. "I'd go play, but that doesn't mean I'll be happy playing. If I'm not happy, you don't want me on your team. It's that simple. I'll make that known to anybody."

i just heard that torre said that the trade is a no go.
...astute and true.... :mrgreen: . And Sheffield can stay his arse in pinstripes!!! :evil: . Omar better not get rid of my Mikey for this punk. How can you just publicly state if you trade me Im not doing anything there....damn!!!..wouldn't they be able to use that against him in some way?....anywho, leave my Cammy alone and leave that disgruntled man where he be at.

i just heard that torre said that the trade is a no go.
...astute and true.... :mrgreen: . And Sheffield can stay his arse in pinstripes!!! :evil: . Omar better not get rid of my Mikey for this punk. How can you just publicly state if you trade me Im not doing anything there....damn!!!..wouldn't they be able to use that against him in some way?....anywho, leave my Cammy alone and leave that disgruntled man where he be at.

So the Yanks cant improve their team because Garroid refuses to let them? Geez, why didnt I see this coming a mile away? Oh, wait, I did see it coming a mile away. In fact, I havent stopped talking about this pr1ck since he arrived. I FREAKIN' TOLD YOU SO, YANKEE FANS.

Enjoy Sheffield while he lasts Yankee fans! I know I will!

So the Yanks cant improve their team because Garroid refuses to let them? Geez, why didnt I see this coming a mile away? Oh, wait, I did see it coming a mile away. In fact, I havent stopped talking about this pr1ck since he arrived. I FREAKIN' TOLD YOU SO, YANKEE FANS.

I am enjoying Sheffield. I enjoyed taking this picture of him hitting vs. the Sox:

gary_sheffield5867.jpg

I am enjoying Sheffield. I enjoyed taking this picture of him hitting vs. the Sox:

gary_sheffield5867.jpg

When you think that the Yanks coulda had Guerrero or Beltran...and that they coulda re-signed Andy Pettite with the money they gave Sheffield, you gotta be relieved as a Yankee Hater!

Plus, he is refusing to go to the Mets even though the Yankees want him gone, ultimately screwing the Yankees, he is like the 40-year old gift that keeps on giving.

When you think that the Yanks coulda had Guerrero or Beltran...and that they coulda re-signed Andy Pettite with the money they gave Sheffield, you gotta be relieved as a Yankee Hater!

Plus, he is refusing to go to the Mets even though the Yankees want him gone, ultimately screwing the Yankees, he is like the 40-year old gift that keeps on giving.

LOL!!

Explain to me how Sheffields contract is equal to Guerrero/Beltran and Pettite's combined??

LOL!!

Explain to me how Sheffields contract is equal to Guerrero/Beltran and Pettite's combined??

EB...I know youre under-aged and all, but I am really beginning to lose my patience with how DUMB you are, whether its an act or not.

It's pretty painfully obvious to anybody with an IQ over 45 that I meant one, the other, or the other. NOT COMBINED YOU BIG DUMMY!!!

Here are some facts for you Yankee fans to chew on:

1. fat george was wating his time with Garroid while Pettite sat idly by, waiting for some attention which he never got. He felt slighted, so he left and you havent had as good of a lefty since!

2. george turned down Vladdy because he didnt want to pay him...and he's been ALL WORLD since going to LAA while Garroid has been a pain in the ass in the Bronx

3. You coulda had Beltran, who would have been much wiser of a choice...and a much more viable option than the late great Bernie Williams if you had just held off one year and not signed Garroid.

EB...I know youre under-aged and all, but I am really beginning to lose my patience with how DUMB you are, whether its an act or not.

It's pretty painfully obvious to anybody with an IQ over 45 that I meant one, the other, or the other. NOT COMBINED YOU BIG DUMMY!!!

Here are some facts for you Yankee fans to chew on:

1. fat george was wating his time with Garroid while Pettite sat idly by, waiting for some attention which he never got. He felt slighted, so he left and you havent had as good of a lefty since!

2. george turned down Vladdy because he didnt want to pay him...and he's been ALL WORLD since going to LAA while Garroid has been a pain in the ass in the Bronx

3. You coulda had Beltran, who would have been much wiser of a choice...and a much more viable option than the late great Bernie Williams if you had just held off one year and not signed Garroid.

I did answer your question, even though it wasnt worthy of a response. And its superfluous anyhow! Thats right, EB superfluous...go look it up!

Heres the deal: Garroid is one of the few productive Yankees without a no trade clause. He is somewhat movable though he makes $13 mil next year and another half of that this year! That right there narrows down the takers even for a .300+ career hitter.

He's been a MASSIVE jerk throughout his career which is a negative agaisnt him already. And the Yanks need to do something beyond cutting these 2 old codgers today, we can all agree on that. ONE of the few moves they can make is to move Sheffield to a big market but he is rendering them incapable of doing that by saying he'll sabotage his new team. So that's probably out now.

HOW YOU GUYS ENJOYING THIS SEASON SO FAR????

BWA-HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I did answer your question, even though it wasnt worthy of a response. And its superfluous anyhow! Thats right, EB superfluous...go look it up!

Heres the deal: Garroid is one of the few productive Yankees without a no trade clause. He is somewhat movable though he makes $13 mil next year and another half of that this year! That right there narrows down the takers even for a .300+ career hitter.

He's been a MASSIVE jerk throughout his career which is a negative agaisnt him already. And the Yanks need to do something beyond cutting these 2 old codgers today, we can all agree on that. ONE of the few moves they can make is to move Sheffield to a big market but he is rendering them incapable of doing that by saying he'll sabotage his new team. So that's probably out now.

HOW YOU GUYS ENJOYING THIS SEASON SO FAR????

BWA-HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nice spin JBF.

You know damn well that if the Yankees had gone out and signed Beltran you and everyone else here would have been screaming bloody murder of how the Yankees are ruining baseball again with their free spending ways.

The reason they did not pursue Guerrero (and the reason why alot of teams did not) was the issue that he was having with his back. Turns out though the Yankees along with alot of other teams were wrong on that one.

My feelings about Pettitte have been stated here on more than once so I'll let that one go at that. Even if they had gone after Guerrero they still would not have gone after Pettitte. (That is totally on George who for whatever reason had it in for Pettitte since 1997).

Nice spin JBF.

You know damn well that if the Yankees had gone out and signed Beltran you and everyone else here would have been screaming bloody murder of how the Yankees are ruining baseball again with their free spending ways.

The reason they did not pursue Guerrero (and the reason why alot of teams did not) was the issue that he was having with his back. Turns out though the Yankees along with alot of other teams were wrong on that one.

My feelings about Pettitte have been stated here on more than once so I'll let that one go at that. Even if they had gone after Guerrero they still would not have gone after Pettitte. (That is totally on George who for whatever reason had it in for Pettitte since 1997).

PS: I know that picture wasnt taken during games 4, 5, 6, and 7 of last year's ALCS because Garroid couldnt hit his way out of a paper bag when the pressure was on!!!

JBF

That photo was from the 2nd game of the season. You know, when Derek "Captain Clutch" Jeter Hit the walk-off homer to win the game.

PS: I know that picture wasnt taken during games 4, 5, 6, and 7 of last year's ALCS because Garroid couldnt hit his way out of a paper bag when the pressure was on!!!

JBF

That photo was from the 2nd game of the season. You know, when Derek "Captain Clutch" Jeter Hit the walk-off homer to win the game.

JBF

Since when can anyone be called "clutch" for a game winning hit with 160 games to go?

By the way, what has he done against the Sox, or anyone else for that matter, since then?

JBF

Since when can anyone be called "clutch" for a game winning hit with 160 games to go?

By the way, what has he done against the Sox, or anyone else for that matter, since then?

Archived