Looks like goodbyes for Stanton, Quantrill

TaborJet

Looks like goodbyes

for Stanton, Quantrill

BY SAM BORDEN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

BALTIMORE - It appears the first changes to the Yankees roster may come as soon as today.

Mike Stanton and Paul Quantrill could be traded or released during the Bombers' off day in Detroit, as both veteran relievers appeared to be saying goodbye to teammates late last night.

One Yankee insider wasn't certain what method the Yanks might use to cut ties with Stanton and Quantrill, but indicated the Bombers were looking to get younger in their bullpen. Earlier yesterday, reliever Jason Anderson was called up from Triple-A Columbus; he joins Scott Proctor, a hard throwing righthander who was also promoted recently.

If Stanton is let go, he would be getting a sendoff he'd rather forget after surrendering a game-winning home run to Brian Roberts in the 10th inning on Tuesday. Quantrill has fallen out of favor with Joe Torre - after being one of the manager's most trusted relievers last season - and has been ineffective during his few outings.

GM Brian Cashman didn't return a phone call yesterday. Although Torre didn't address Stanton and Quantrill directly, he did say he had spoken to Cashman about returning the pitching staff to 11 pitchers (it was at 12 last night) and was hoping to do so today.

The Yankees clubhouse was closed for a longer-than-usual amount of time after last night's game with the Orioles was postponed, as Torre met with several players. No moves were officially announced.

Torre did speak about how he wants to bring up a utility infielder since Rey Sanchez (back sprain) is on the disabled list for the foreseeable future. Infielder Felix Escalona is expected to be called up before tomorrow's game, along with a pitcher. Several officials have been high on Colter Bean, a bulky righthander, who pitched two innings for the Bombers on April 26 and has been dominant in Columbus (3-3 with a 3.23 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 39innings).

"We're going to have to talk through it and figure out what we'll do before (tomorrow)," Torre said of any alterations to the roster.

Looking at younger players was one of the issues discussed during the Yanks' organizational meetings in Tampa the past few days. Stanton, 38, hasn't been bad as a situational lefty but isn't nearly as effective as he once was. He called his one-pitch outing on Tuesday "disgraceful" and said, "I could have hit that one out."

The Marlins are one team who reportedly had some interest in the 36-year-old Quantrill.

Looks like goodbyes

for Stanton, Quantrill

BY SAM BORDEN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

BALTIMORE - It appears the first changes to the Yankees roster may come as soon as today.

Mike Stanton and Paul Quantrill could be traded or released during the Bombers' off day in Detroit, as both veteran relievers appeared to be saying goodbye to teammates late last night.

One Yankee insider wasn't certain what method the Yanks might use to cut ties with Stanton and Quantrill, but indicated the Bombers were looking to get younger in their bullpen. Earlier yesterday, reliever Jason Anderson was called up from Triple-A Columbus; he joins Scott Proctor, a hard throwing righthander who was also promoted recently.

If Stanton is let go, he would be getting a sendoff he'd rather forget after surrendering a game-winning home run to Brian Roberts in the 10th inning on Tuesday. Quantrill has fallen out of favor with Joe Torre - after being one of the manager's most trusted relievers last season - and has been ineffective during his few outings.

GM Brian Cashman didn't return a phone call yesterday. Although Torre didn't address Stanton and Quantrill directly, he did say he had spoken to Cashman about returning the pitching staff to 11 pitchers (it was at 12 last night) and was hoping to do so today.

The Yankees clubhouse was closed for a longer-than-usual amount of time after last night's game with the Orioles was postponed, as Torre met with several players. No moves were officially announced.

Torre did speak about how he wants to bring up a utility infielder since Rey Sanchez (back sprain) is on the disabled list for the foreseeable future. Infielder Felix Escalona is expected to be called up before tomorrow's game, along with a pitcher. Several officials have been high on Colter Bean, a bulky righthander, who pitched two innings for the Bombers on April 26 and has been dominant in Columbus (3-3 with a 3.23 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 39innings).

"We're going to have to talk through it and figure out what we'll do before (tomorrow)," Torre said of any alterations to the roster.

Looking at younger players was one of the issues discussed during the Yanks' organizational meetings in Tampa the past few days. Stanton, 38, hasn't been bad as a situational lefty but isn't nearly as effective as he once was. He called his one-pitch outing on Tuesday "disgraceful" and said, "I could have hit that one out."

The Marlins are one team who reportedly had some interest in the 36-year-old Quantrill.

Stanton had a good run here. He is clerly done though. Lots of innings in that arm.

If Quantril goes to a NL team and gets regular work I think he could still be somewhat effective. He was real good most of last year, just got over used.

Stanton had a good run here. He is clerly done though. Lots of innings in that arm.

If Quantril goes to a NL team and gets regular work I think he could still be somewhat effective. He was real good most of last year, just got over used.

As a Met fan I could have predicted Stanton was done last year. The Mets trade was addition by subtraction and that is pretty bad considering Mets need help in the bullpen

Quantrill has really been hit hard going back to last part of last season- I do not know if true but what I have read his sinker - his main pitch is off

As a Met fan I could have predicted Stanton was done last year. The Mets trade was addition by subtraction and that is pretty bad considering Mets need help in the bullpen

Quantrill has really been hit hard going back to last part of last season- I do not know if true but what I have read his sinker - his main pitch is off

THANK GOD.

Stanton I thought would be a great signing this off-sesaon but every single one made during the off-season has turned out to be a major mistake.

Quantrill was good for us last year but when you have a 6+ ERA as a reliever and it's halfway through the damn season, you need to go.

Youth movement is something smart and I'm glad they're doing it. Hell if you can get something for either Quantrill or Stanton, a younger reliever or a prospect, DO IT!

THANK GOD.

Stanton I thought would be a great signing this off-sesaon but every single one made during the off-season has turned out to be a major mistake.

Quantrill was good for us last year but when you have a 6+ ERA as a reliever and it's halfway through the damn season, you need to go.

Youth movement is something smart and I'm glad they're doing it. Hell if you can get something for either Quantrill or Stanton, a younger reliever or a prospect, DO IT!

Its about frickin time the Yankees call up COLTER BEAN.

Have you seen this guys numbers and the stuff he has?!?!? He is frickin nasty

But, uh, Scott Proctor and Jason Anderson really really suck. I liked Proctor last year but he just has no control and gives up too many home runs. Anderson almost blew an 8 run lead last season, but his minor league numbers this year look pretty good.

Its about frickin time the Yankees call up COLTER BEAN.

Have you seen this guys numbers and the stuff he has?!?!? He is frickin nasty

But, uh, Scott Proctor and Jason Anderson really really suck. I liked Proctor last year but he just has no control and gives up too many home runs. Anderson almost blew an 8 run lead last season, but his minor league numbers this year look pretty good.

Good riddance.

Bringing stanton back was an absolute mistake. he showed no signs of being able to pitch LAST year, they brought him back b/c of what he did 3 years ago as a yankee, don't the yankees have scouts that tell cashman/george that the guy has nothing left in the tank.

as far as quantrill goes, it's too bad he dropped off this year. he really earned his job last year and was one of the most reliable releivers in the league.

Good riddance.

Bringing stanton back was an absolute mistake. he showed no signs of being able to pitch LAST year, they brought him back b/c of what he did 3 years ago as a yankee, don't the yankees have scouts that tell cashman/george that the guy has nothing left in the tank.

as far as quantrill goes, it's too bad he dropped off this year. he really earned his job last year and was one of the most reliable releivers in the league.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA! This is classic. Georgey boy and his crach(head) staff of baseball people have an 8 hour colsed-door meeting and this is what they come up with: Stanton and Quantrill have poisoned our season. =D>

It's more like George was snapped back to reality.

George: Well, screw it. Let's just trade Kevin Brown.

Cashman: Nope. Can't do it.

George: Hmmm. Alright, let's move Giambi. He's a former MVP.

Cashman: Nope.

George: Sheffield?

Cashman: Nuh uh.

George: Jeter?

Cashman: HA-ha. Whoops, sorry. Nope.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA! This is classic. Georgey boy and his crach(head) staff of baseball people have an 8 hour colsed-door meeting and this is what they come up with: Stanton and Quantrill have poisoned our season. =D>

It's more like George was snapped back to reality.

George: Well, screw it. Let's just trade Kevin Brown.

Cashman: Nope. Can't do it.

George: Hmmm. Alright, let's move Giambi. He's a former MVP.

Cashman: Nope.

George: Sheffield?

Cashman: Nuh uh.

George: Jeter?

Cashman: HA-ha. Whoops, sorry. Nope.

I agree Tom...this seems like a step sideways rather than forward or backward. Stanton and Quantrill suck, dont get me wrong, but they are near the bottom of the depth chart on who the Yanks need to run outta town.

He shoulda blown this team up and run Matsui out the door. Then, if he really wants to compete again as early as next year, get Jeter the F out and load up on stud prospects!

How can we take george and his meetings with his baseball people seriously? Thats probably the one category they are leading all of baseball in besides salaries.......total number of closed door damage control meetings!!!

I agree Tom...this seems like a step sideways rather than forward or backward. Stanton and Quantrill suck, dont get me wrong, but they are near the bottom of the depth chart on who the Yanks need to run outta town.

He shoulda blown this team up and run Matsui out the door. Then, if he really wants to compete again as early as next year, get Jeter the F out and load up on stud prospects!

How can we take george and his meetings with his baseball people seriously? Thats probably the one category they are leading all of baseball in besides salaries.......total number of closed door damage control meetings!!!

JB, here's the sad part and the part that should most embarrass Yankee fans: I'm sure alot of teams would LOVE to have Derek Jeter, but not at $19 mil. So, if George were to trade the "face of baseball," he'd have to throw in about $10 mil in cash, and even then Jeter is ridiculously overpaid for whoever takes him on! Ditto ARod, Ditto Giambi, Ditto Shef. Yankee fans are circling the toilet right now. Losers.

JB, here's the sad part and the part that should most embarrass Yankee fans: I'm sure alot of teams would LOVE to have Derek Jeter, but not at $19 mil. So, if George were to trade the "face of baseball," he'd have to throw in about $10 mil in cash, and even then Jeter is ridiculously overpaid for whoever takes him on! Ditto ARod, Ditto Giambi, Ditto Shef. Yankee fans are circling the toilet right now. Losers.

How could you ever have thought Stanton was a good pickup? He's 38 years old and sucked it up in the cavernous Shea Stadium last year....AGAINST LEFTIES.

How could you ever have thought Stanton was a good pickup? He's 38 years old and sucked it up in the cavernous Shea Stadium last year....AGAINST LEFTIES.

Honestly, there is not a single player that is available via trade that is worthy of trading Jeter for. Ditto Arod and Ditto Sheff!!

Honestly, there is not a single player that is available via trade that is worthy of trading Jeter for. Ditto Arod and Ditto Sheff!!

So you wouldn't send any of those 3 for Albert Pujols or Vlad Guerrero? Dude, what have Shef and A-Rod done other than suck in the playoffs for your Yankees? Since when is Derek Jeter more important than the team?

So you wouldn't send any of those 3 for Albert Pujols or Vlad Guerrero? Dude, what have Shef and A-Rod done other than suck in the playoffs for your Yankees? Since when is Derek Jeter more important than the team?

READING COMPREHENSION

Are Pujols and Vlad available for trade? NO

READING COMPREHENSION

Are Pujols and Vlad available for trade? NO

Because he was on the Mets. :wink:

Because he was on the Mets. :wink:

Stanton and Quantrill cut by Yankees

June 30, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Relievers Mike Stanton and Paul Quantrill became the first victims of the New York Yankees' roster shakeup.

The ineffective relievers were designated for assignment Thursday, giving the Yankees 10 days to trade them or place them on waivers.

New York will fill their roster spots by recalling outfielder Bubba Crosby from Triple-A Columbus and purchasing the contract of left-hander Wayne Franklin from the Clippers. Despite the highest payroll in the majors, the Yankees have struggled to a 39-38 record.

The Yankees are responsible for Quantrill's $3 million salary this year and a $400,000 buyout of a $3.6 million 2006 option they declined in December. They also are responsible for Stanton's $4 million salary, although they did receive $975,000 from the New York Mets as part of the December trade that sent Felix Heredia from the Bronx to Queens.

Quantrill, a 36-year-old right-hander, was 1-0 with a 6.75 ERA in 22 appearances this year. Stanton, a 38-year-old lefty, was 1-2 with a 7.07 ERA in 28 games.

Looks like Yanks will eat 7 million or so in salaries

Stanton and Quantrill cut by Yankees

June 30, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Relievers Mike Stanton and Paul Quantrill became the first victims of the New York Yankees' roster shakeup.

The ineffective relievers were designated for assignment Thursday, giving the Yankees 10 days to trade them or place them on waivers.

New York will fill their roster spots by recalling outfielder Bubba Crosby from Triple-A Columbus and purchasing the contract of left-hander Wayne Franklin from the Clippers. Despite the highest payroll in the majors, the Yankees have struggled to a 39-38 record.

The Yankees are responsible for Quantrill's $3 million salary this year and a $400,000 buyout of a $3.6 million 2006 option they declined in December. They also are responsible for Stanton's $4 million salary, although they did receive $975,000 from the New York Mets as part of the December trade that sent Felix Heredia from the Bronx to Queens.

Quantrill, a 36-year-old right-hander, was 1-0 with a 6.75 ERA in 22 appearances this year. Stanton, a 38-year-old lefty, was 1-2 with a 7.07 ERA in 28 games.

Looks like Yanks will eat 7 million or so in salaries

All of you Yankee honks who like to say that you guys don't buy rings, I want you to read this again, because if the Royals tried this, they'd have to fold the franchise:

Archived