ILB David Harris

ILB Victor Hobson

OLB Shawn Crable

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Randall Gay

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

• Upvote 1

I like the Faneca signing, along with drafting a guard and tackle.

I think we could squeeze more from KC for Chad, Herm would become desperate.

Are you sure you want to dump Vilma before we see him healthy playing along side David Harris? I know it's the last year of his contract, but I don't know about that.

Good job UT

Trades

LB Jonathan Vilma and a 5th round pick to Cincy for a 2008 2nd round pick

QB Chad Pennington to Chicago for a 2008 5th round pick

Cuts

Eric Barton

Justin McCareins

David Barrett

Free Agent Signings

OG Alan Faneca

WR D.J. Hackett

CB Randall Gay

NT Jay Ratliff

Free Agent Re-Signings:

Victor Hobson

Kerry Rhodes (extension)

Mock Draft (4 Rounds)

1st round: DE Chris Long - Virginia

2nd round: OLB Shawn Crable - Michigan

2nd round: OT Jeff Otah - Pittsburgh

3rd round: TE Martin Rucker - Missouri

4th round: OG Roy Schuening - Oregon State

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

WR D.J. Hackett

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Alan Faneca

C Nick Mangold

RG Bradon Moore

RT Jeff Otah

DE Chris Long

NT Jay Ratliff

DE Shaun Ellis

OLB Bryan Thomas

ILB David Harris

ILB Victor Hobson

OLB Shawn Crable

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Randall Gay

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

I would be perfectly fine with all of that. Though.. if they trade Penny, they'd likely bring in another experienced QB.

Vilma straight up for a 2nd, why are we throwing in a 5th? If nothing else, we can still get a first from a team with a late round pick with needs at LB. I also think we can get better than a 5th for Pennington. Also, Randall Gay sucks. He sucks just as badly as Barrett and Dyson.

Why wouldn't we be able to get a 1st for Vilma? We got a 1st for Abraham who is injured far more often than Vilma. He's arguable one of the best 4-3 linebackers in the NFL.

John Abraham is much better than you give him credit. He's a pass rushing DE which is a premium over undersized 4-3 MLBs and he's MUCH better at his position than Vilma and we got one of the last picks in the 1st. Vilma's main draw was that he had years on his deal, bu he has only one year left. It's a 1 year rental.

The most glaring problem I see with this mock is re-signing Hobson and then moving him inside. Doesn't make sense to me. If you are going to have to sign somebody, sign somebody that plays the position.

These were better last season. Untouchable seems to have lost his touch. This has no rhyme or reason to this plan:

1. Vilma AND a 5th I think would bear more than a 2nd-rounder. There's a big difference between pick #33 and pick #64 also, but they're both 2nd-rounders.

2. Chad will most definitely command more than a 5th when Testaverde, Redman, Harrington, etc have been starters this year & there are no good UFA QB's for 2008.

3. Barton is getting released, clearing up $3M in cap space. Then we don't use up that cap space & re-sign Victor Hobson to a brand new contract to start at the position for the first time in his career. Better of just keeping Barton for one more year & not re-sign Hobson.

4. Jay Ratliff is only playing NT because Fergie got injured. He looks much different at NT between Canty & Spears (both 300 lbs-plus) than he would in between soft Shaun Ellis (285 lbs) and rookie Chris Long (280 lbs). [On a 3-man line, frankly, Coleman is probably a better DE than Ellis anyway. And you're benching him also.]. There hasn't been a 3-4 defense so small that it's without a single 300-lb player, since the early-mid 1990's. There are only two true NT's who will be UFA's this off-season - Ethan Kelley and Isaac Sopoaga - and you are going after neither of them. Instead, opting for a 295-lb NT to go in between a pair of 280-lb DE's. Then behind them you have an ILB and an OLB who will both be starting at those respective positions for the first time ever. Teams will average 200 rushing yards per game against us.

5. Why are we keeping DRob with a $10M cap number & he's not even starting, and then releasing Barton - who would start over Hobson - to save $3M? If you're not going to start DRob, then trade him. He doesn't have NO trade value. Just because we don't like him for the 3-4 (understandably) doesn't mean no one wants a young, experienced (in multiple defenses), talented, starting DT who pretty-much never gets injured. He'd require a new contract from his new team, but I think we could get something for him -- and I don't mean a 6th-rounder. Anyway, keeping DRob & dumping Barton makes little sense to me.

6. Cutting Justin McCareins doesn't save anything other than a roster spot. I'm not saying that's still a bad move. But if it's being done for cap reasons, we will not save anything. His salary for next year is now $1.1M. Presumably this was done to keep him for one more season (even as a 5th WR) before dumping him. Or so we could trade him for even a 6th-7th rounder. No one would have wanted him with a $3M salary, but someone might with a $1M salary. Strictly dumping him negates his restructuring & effectively means we moved 2008 salary to 2007 for nothing. My guess is he either gets traded for a late pick or is still on the team in '08. VERY slim chance of him getting cut outright.

7. Randal Gay is hardly worth pissing cap money on. Better to get a real player. A second OG to start over Moore or a better ILB than Victor Hobson than waste cap space on Randall Gay and keeping DRob as a $10M second-string NT.

8. I like DJ Hackett. I don't like that he can't seem to stay on the field.

9. Re-signing Kerry Rhodes is a no-brainer.

to be honest, i was just happy to see someone else in at RT. Made me smile.

I doubt we could get Gay, Faneca, and Hackett. Not to mention Hackett may be too expensive, and i am still of the mind that Stuckey or Wright can either a.) preform well, or b.) preform well enough to not need another WR. If we had an o-cordinator that was willing to move coles and cotch in and out of the slot, we may not need to go and get another high priced/overrated WR (jmac).

Landing Faneca, a RT that can play at a reasonably high level, coupled with a DE like Long...i'll go out on a limb and say we are right back in the playoff hunt next year.

drago, just because you date 12 year olds doesn't mean that you can just post whenever and wherever you want. ;)

Anyway.

The team has a lot of needs, and hopefully with our three first day draft picks and free agency we can address if not all, most of them. Signing an expierenced Left Guard would help tremendously, but if Faneca re-signs with Pittsburgh the market comes down basically to Ryan Lilja, who will most likely re-sign with Indianapolis.

Cornerback, I don't really like Randall Gay as a #2 corner. Could he be a good reserve / #3 corner? Yes, no doubt about it. But as many Pats fans know, he is injury proned and I'd much rather see the Jets go out and sign Drayton Florence of San Diego or maybe even Asante Samuel, if they cannot address the OLine with either Faneca or Lilja.

Wide Receiver, the best two #3 wideouts on the market will be Bryant Johnson of Arizona and Hackett. Either would fit in just fine.

• Upvote 1