"several" prominent Yankees to be in Mitchell report per the Bergen Record

AFJF

Source says Clemens will be named in Mitchell report

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 13, 2007, 10:14 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

A former New York Yankee strength trainer says information he supplied to the George Mitchell investigation regarding supplying Roger Clemens with steroids is included in the Mitchell report scheduled to be released later today, a source close to the trainer told ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael.

Brian McNamee, who worked for the Yankees and as a personal trainer for Clemens and Yankee teammates Andy Pettitte, also told investigators that on at least one occasion, Clemens was in possession of steroids from another supplier, the source said.

The source said McNamee told investigators he supplied Clemens with steroids while Clemens was witih the Yankees, and prior to Clemens joining the team.

Also, The Bergen (N.J.) Record, citing a baseball industry official, says "several" prominent Yankees will be named. The paper said the source spoke to a third party who had seen the final report.

"It's going to be a rough day in the Bronx," the paper quoted the source as saying.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig told the Chicago Tribune that he hadn't seen the report, but he was proud it is coming out.

"People can say Bud was just trying to cover his butt or take care of his legacy or whatever," Selig said, according to the Tribune. "I say [bleep] it. This needed to be done, and now we've done it. I'm just happy it will be out there and we can move on. I'm proud of it."

Jason Giambi, Chad Curtis, Chuck Knoblauch, Tino Martinez are all Yankees that I think definitely juiced. Girardi probably did as well -- that guy was solid. Pretty funny if Girardi is on the list though. That would be a bad distraction.

I am sure there are more\others.

Of cours there will be, because that Mitchell guy is a frickin huge red sox fan. What a joke. Watch there be no prominent red sox guys on the list. Just watch.

While I'm not usually a big fan of conspiracy theory type of stuff that comes up on the board, this is a valid point. How the hell do you allow a guy with such a strong interest in baseball, and one particular team, to investigate the sport? Kind of like the NFL allowing an arbitrator to rule on a contract that a player has signed with a team he has season tickets for.

Of cours there will be, because that Mitchell guy is a frickin huge red sox fan. What a joke. Watch there be no prominent red sox guys on the list. Just watch.

Major League Baseball gave him this project. Since taking on the project he has been on a leave of absence from the Red Sox Organization. He does not have any equity in the Boston Red Sox. To suggest that he is going to omit names because he is on the Board of Directors of the Boston Red Sox is to say that he is improperly doing his job. To that point, no such allegations have been levied. So there is no basis for your claim Barton. Until the report is fully realized, you cannot accuse him of any wrong doing.

Roger Clemens, though, is now being reported as being on that list.

And of course zero Red Sox will be named by this old fart. This is just b.s. There is no reason a Red Sox member should be able to condone this crap. David Ortiz's name will not be named because of it.

Seriously? What link has David Ortiz had with any steroid allegations besides jealous Yankee hearsay? He isn't Jason Giambi who was caught red-handed. Until you have proof of anything don't go around throwing out allegations of wrong-doing.

Seriously? What link has David Ortiz had with any steroid allegations besides jealous Yankee hearsay? He isn't Jason Giambi who was caught red-handed. Until you have proof of anything don't go around throwing out allegations of wrong-doing.

Horse**** dude...you know damn well if Mitchell had a Yankees connection and word leaked out that several Sux players were on it, you'd be one of the first on it like stink on ****.

Just like Bonds, just look at the pictures from previous team to new team. Stop ballwashing the Sox. Ortiz's name would come out today if Mitchell wasn't in the Sox organization. Period.

Come on Barton.....do a little more research on Mitchell.

We knew from the minute Roger threw the bat at Piazza saying he thought it was the ball that he was a juicer. He enjoyed too much success at a advanced age for baseball.

The bulk of the evidence will be checks, credit cards, phone records etc. I am sure Mitchell had those made up because he has ties to the RedSox.

On the list (per CNBC)

Roger Clemens

Andy Petitte

Jeff Bagwell

Albert Pujols

Johnny Damon

Barry Bonds

Aaron Boone

Brett Boone

Sammy Sosa

Raul Mondesi

Mark McGuire

Jason Grimsley

Miguel Tejada

Juan Gonzalez

Nomar Garciaparra

Jason Varitek

Mark Prior

Kerry Wood

Jose Canseco

I don't think any of those names on the list surprise me. There has to be more though. If steroids were "running rampant" like the media has made it out to be I would have expected 100-150 names.

On the list (per CNBC)

Roger Clemens

Andy Petitte

Jeff Bagwell

Albert Pujols

Johnny Damon

Barry Bonds

Aaron Boone

Brett Boone

Sammy Sosa

Raul Mondesi

Mark McGuire

Jason Grimsley

Miguel Tejada

Juan Gonzalez

Nomar Garciaparra

Jason Varitek

Mark Prior

Kerry Wood

Jose Canseco

So Johnny Damon while with the Sox or with the Yankees? I would like to know that information, as well as with team Aaron Boone was on the roids with. Same with Nosemar. Boston or L.A.?

Andy Pettitte on this list surprises me big time. Did anyone here honestly think Andy would be on this list? One of my all-time favorite players. Sucks to see this.

So Johnny Damon while with the Sox or with the Yankees? I would like to know that information, as well as with team Aaron Boone was on the roids with. Same with Nosemar. Boston or L.A.?

Andy Pettitte on this list surprises me big time. Did anyone here honestly think Andy would be on this list? One of my all-time favorite players. Sucks to see this.

Yes ...Andy and Roger were hinted at after the Grimsley bust as was Pujols.

I wouldn't have thought Pettitte until I saw that Clemens introduced him to his personal trainer. I knew at that point that there was a good chance Andy would be joining in if Roger was taking part. This whole thing makes me sick.

If these are accurate names, from the 2004 RS WS team you have: Varitek, Damon, Nixon.

Pretty substantial part of that team . . . and Mitchell is Boston bias????

I hate the red Sox with all my energy, but seems to be a non bias report . . . i thougt it would be Manny over Ortiz. Fatiz just likes his Caribean food

I know some of the players that have come through Norfolk when the Tides were affiliated with the Mets, and have first hand information that Manny was experimenting with steroids. Not sure he is going to be named in this report, but all of the other names that I was told have been confirmed by this leak.... Nomar, Gagne, Hampton and Ramirez were the names that I was told from a player with first hand experience.

I know some of the players that have come through Norfolk when the Tides were affiliated with the Mets, and have first hand information that Manny was experimenting with steroids. Not sure he is going to be named in this report, but all of the other names that I was told have been confirmed by this leak.... Nomar, Gagne, Hampton and Ramirez were the names that I was told from a player with first hand experience.

Absolutely. These are just names that were given up and also likely had a paper trail.

That is why this report is a fraud, because it will be case closed after it is revealed. Selig will say he did everything he could, to help his legacy, and there will be hundreds of other users that remain unnamed.

This entire steroid witch hunt is a disaster!

as far as I'm concerned, everyone was on steriods, and therefore we deem it as the "Steriods Era" sorry if you were clean, you can thank your peers.

Now everyone in MLB and the media, STFU, and let me enjoy the game that i love.

as far as I'm concerned, everyone was on steriods, and therefore we deem it as the "Steriods Era" sorry if you were clean, you can thank your peers.

Now everyone in MLB and the media, STFU, and let me enjoy the game that i love.

That's always been my point when many wanted to just talk about Bonds.

Let the game get back to its purity now but always remember....it aint just Barry.

Jason Giambi, Chad Curtis, Chuck Knoblauch, Tino Martinez are all Yankees that I think definitely juiced. Girardi probably did as well -- that guy was solid. Pretty funny if Girardi is on the list though. That would be a bad distraction.

I am sure there are more\others.

I met Girardi once in a hotel weight room. That guy is an animal there, with the weights, the treadmill, and the stationary bike. I work out a bit myself, but he was going crazy there. And, based on our short conversation, he always works out, several times a week.

So, since he never was a slugger, even for 1 season (like Roberts or Brady Anderson), I give Joe a pass.

Archived