Pennington And Coles For A 1st And 4th

Maxman

coleschadherm.gif

JetNation.com has learned that the Jets have had conversations with the Kansas City Chiefs about a blockbuster trade. The Jets would send both Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles to Kansas City in exchange for the Chiefs 1st round pick. The Jets would also receive a 4th rounder and a possible 2nd day pick in the 2009 draft. The 2009 pick would be tied in some way to performance. We are told that a deal is essentially in place and it will be announced in the off-season.

The Jets would like to avoid a situation next year where both Chad and Coles are unhappy in camp. The staff likes what they see from Kellen Clemens this year and they are ready to proceed in that direction. The Chiefs are under the 2008 cap and since Chad and Laveranues both have manageable cap numbers, this deal is workable. Herman Edwards is under tremendous pressure in Kansas City to improve an offense that has been very unproductive under his watch.

As with any trade there is always a chance it won’t happen. Both parties are committed to making this deal. No trade can be made right now, since the trading deadline has passed. The source that provided JetNation.com with this information has been very accurate in the past. This is the same source that broke the Andre Wadsworth signing before camp this year.

You can discuss this story and get an update on the salary cap impact here.

http://www.jetnation.com/?p=1218

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but coles too?? I dont know if i wanna send Coles packing when we dont have a #1 wr to take his place. Besides we saw how Cotchery did in his place. Guess this would change our offseason plans a bit seeing as now a WR is a high priority.

Coles is getting older and honestly I don't think he wants to deal with a Mangini camp again and probably didn't like the whole Kendall situation. There are WRs who can be have in FA this year and the draft to make or recieving core better. Coles is a good player but I have the feeling he wants out and the FO has no issue complying.

but coles too?? I dont know if i wanna send Coles packing when we dont have a #1 wr to take his place. Besides we saw how Cotchery did in his place. Guess this would change our offseason plans a bit seeing as now a WR is a high priority.

LC is a warrior and I love the way he plays the game but a 1st rd draft pick for a 30 yr old WR? Moss went for a 4th,lol.

This deal would be a steal!

Edwards may not be the Chief's HC much longer-

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7716359

"Around the league. Running back Larry Johnson still expects to return this season from a foot injury he suffered in early November, despite the fact that the Chiefs' season is all but lost. ... Speaking of Kansas City, there is growing speculation that coach Herman Edwards may be fired. The Chiefs are anemic on offense and the team's brass may look for an offensive-minded coach. To Edwards' credit, the Chiefs have shown some defensive improvement and his players appear to like working for him. ..." Yeah, well, if you're boss allowed you to HANG OUT all day at work, you'd think it was groovy too.

Practically, I see no point in moving Coles, and Pennington isn't worth much more than Trent Green-a 3, may be?

I think this is Max having fun with us all.

This is not a joke. We like having fun here but we can't joke at the expense of our name. It is a long way from becoming reality. Like Bugg pointed out, if Herm gets fired -- the deal is definitely dead. But these conversations did take place.

What are you, crazy?

L. Coles IS our offense. Besides Cotchery, who else is there to throw to? McCareins can't catch, B.Smith isn't a true WR, and Baker is only good for blocking and short pass plays. If it weren't for LC, WE would be winless.

And even sending Pennington packing is a risk. How do we know Clemens won't get hurt? I think it's good we've got a decent QB as a backup.

I'm glad you're not our GM :P

What are you, crazy?

L. Coles IS our offense. Besides Cotchery, who else is there to throw to? McCareins can't catch, B.Smith isn't a true WR, and Baker is only good for blocking and short pass plays. If it weren't for LC, WE would be winless.

And even sending Pennington packing is a risk. How do we know Clemens won't get hurt? I think it's good we've got a decent QB as a backup.

Chad Pennington is done. The guy is a great human being ,a terrific team player and a warrior but he isn't worth the money he makes. He is done. If we could get a 1 legged Haitian prostitute for him that would more than enough.

What are you, crazy?

Coles is the offense. Correct. The offense sucks. Blow it up and start all over again.

We don't know that Clemens won't get hurt. However, it's even money that Chad will get hurt. Again.

What are you, crazy?

Hey 11269 --

Not sure who you were replying to. But you should send it to our GM because he is the one that is talking about making this deal.

2 picks in the top 6? Wow. It could happen. :xmas:

Coles is the offense. Correct. The offense sucks. Blow it up and start all over again.

We don't know that Clemens won't get hurt. However, it's even money that Chad will get hurt. Again.

The old baseball story -- we finished in last with you, we can finish in last without you. Except the Jets won't finish in last, damn Dolphins always getting in the way!

How would this trade affect our cap?

If something like this happened (before the draft / before June 1st)...

Pennington:

was scheduled to hit our cap for $7.8M. This wipes out $4.8M of it (his 2008 salary), but he still has $3M more to come off from his original signing bonus. The net is $7.8M - $3M - $3M = $1.8M. So we save $1.8M on the 2008 cap (with his $6M dead cap space for 2008) but then he's off the Jets' books forever.

Coles:

it's tough to say 100% because he renegotiated before 2006 & we don't know exactly how much extra signing bonus he was given to do so. But it seems that he would have counted in the neighborhood of $10M next year, with about half of that being salary. So he'll count about $5M ($5M dead cap space), but it saves us $5M.

Total Net:

2008 cap = saves about $7M ($2M Chad + $5M Coles)

2009 cap = saves $6M plus their respective salaries ($6M each for Coles & Pennington). So depending on whether we would have kept both, one, or neither, it saves us between $6M and $18M on the 2009 cap.

From there it depends on how high of a pick the Chiefs have. But figure it to be #8-9 at worst & could very well be top-5.

Hope this helps.

The old baseball story -- we finished in last with you, we can finish in last without you. Except the Jets won't finish in last, damn Dolphins always getting in the way!

Hey, did you source tell you what Andre Wadsworth is up to these days?

Chad Pennington is done. The guy is a great human being ,a terrific team player and a warrior but he isn't worth the money he makes. He is done. If we could get a 1 legged Haitian prostitute for him that would more than enough.

If we had half a decent O-line, I bet you he'd still be our starter, and we'd have a winning record. But we have a terrible line--ever since Kendall went to Washington our offense has been spiraling, and it doesn't matter if KC or CP is taking the snaps.

If something like this happened (before the draft / before June 1st)...

Pennington:

was scheduled to hit our cap for $7.8M. This wipes out $4.8M of it (his 2008 salary), but he still has $3M more to come off from his original signing bonus. The net is $7.8M - $3M - $3M = $1.8M. So we save $1.8M on the 2008 cap (with his $6M dead cap space for 2008) but then he's off the Jets' books forever.

Coles:

it's tough to say 100% because he renegotiated before 2006 & we don't know exactly how much extra signing bonus he was given to do so. But it seems that he would have counted in the neighborhood of $10M next year, with about half of that being salary. So he'll count about $5M ($5M dead cap space), but it saves us $5M.

Total Net:

2008 cap = saves about $7M ($2M Chad + $5M Coles)

2009 cap = saves $6M plus their respective salaries ($6M each for Coles & Pennington). So depending on whether we would have kept both, one, or neither, it saves us between $6M and $18M on the 2009 cap.

From there it depends on how high of a pick the Chiefs have. But figure it to be #8-9 at worst & could very well be top-5.

Hope this helps.

Damn, that was fast. You're like a machine.

it would be a smart move-for one thing KC is going to be a 4 win team that'll be what, a top 5 pick? Two-Coles is at that point in his career (like him as we ALL do) where his body is breaking down. We NEED more draft picks and we also need to see if there is any possible way we can get Chad Johnson to play with us. This regime has proven SO FAR that it knows how to evaluate college talent with the recent drafts of Brick Mangold Leon Clemens and Revis and Harris. Also, don't underestimate what Chansi Stuckey (if he can get and stay healthy) can do-he is almost a Coles clone in the way he plays the game.

I hope Max's source is right-I think Herm gets one more chance next year with the injuries his team has sustained. It's not easy replacing an 1800 yard RB

I would freaking LOVE this trade. And it has nothing to do with wanting to see Coles gone. The guy is one of my favorite Jets from the past 10 years. But business is business & the reality is that we would not burn a top-6 pick and a mid-round pick AND another day-2 pick in '09 to acquire Coles & Chad. No way, no how.

KC is in a little different position. The trade is probably equally good for them as well. They just took Bowe last year, have no one opposite him on the outside nor anyone reliable to deliver the ball to him (or Gonzo). Since they don't have to cough up signing bonuses for either Coles or Chad, it's an even bigger bonus for them.

If we somehow outright released Chad (supremely unlikely), he'd be the only decent FA QB prospect out there. This cuts out a bidding war for him AND they don't have to ante up a SB. They have him for 3 yrs $13M & no penalty for cutting him at any point.

Coles is a perfect complement to the speedier Bowe & already (clearly) has chemistry with Chad.

Looks like a good trade for both sides to me.

Hey, did you source tell you what Andre Wadsworth is up to these days?

No he didn't bring it up. I am going to email Andre in the offseason because I would like to do a human interest story about him. See what he though about the experience, if he had any regrets etc.

what this move would do IMO is ensure that Johnathon Vilma will remain a Jet next season-we are about to lose 2 (ineffective) starters in Barton and Hobson and the pick we would have gotten for Vilma won't be needed. I hope there is someway we can steal Chad Johnson and Alan Faneca away from the central division

Oh yea and Barton consider this; Herm and Bradway gave away a 2nd round pick for Doug Friggin Jolley and AJ Feeley cost Miami a 2nd rounder-it would be a good move for KC-Herm believes in Chad Pennington

Coles is the reason they would send the 1st...not for Penny. I'll take 1st for a 30 yr old WR.

what this move would do IMO is ensure that Johnathon Vilma will remain a Jet next season-we are about to lose 2 (ineffective) starters in Barton and Hobson and the pick we would have gotten for Vilma won't be needed. I hope there is someway we can steal Chad Johnson and Alan Faneca away from the central division

Oh yea and Barton consider this; Herm and Bradway gave away a 2nd round pick for Doug Friggin Jolley and AJ Feeley cost Miami a 2nd rounder-it would be a good move for KC-Herm believes in Chad Pennington

Herm believes in Herm.

He's thinking about this trade as job security. He knows Chad is going to get hurt, and he can say "You can't win without your starting QB". He'll get an extension.

One thing I left out of the article because it was mentioned to me in "passing". But I think there are some legs to this whole Senior Advisor thing. I don't have names (I know Parcells was mentioned). But I am impressed with these guys. They seem willing to learn from their mistakes -- bringing in someone to help out with roster evaluation would be a really good sign (as long as they hire the right person to do it of course).

Herm believes in Herm.

He's thinking about this trade as job security. He knows Chad is going to get hurt, and he can say "You can't win without your starting QB". He'll get an extension.

If Herm survives this year (I think he will) this would be the perfect move for him. He brings in two of his guys and the Chiefs would be better. Granted the cost of the trade from the Chiefs standpoint, does seem high in my opinion.

Someone just PMed me saying that I was crazy for proposing such a trade. I didn't propose this, just reported about it.

Coles and Chad are two quality players. Chad can be effective in this leage. The thing is both have more in back of them then in front of them. That is why I think it would be a steal for the Jets.

IMHO this would be a pretty good trade for both teams. Probably better for the Jets. But the Chiefs get a serviceable, veteran QB who's already played with Coles and will have another good receiver around him in Bowe. Coles is not worth a first-rounder, and Pennington is probably worth no more than a 3rd-4th, so the Jets are getting plenty of value in the trade. However, the Jets are ridding themselves of two aging, large salaried players that, as soon as even next year with Chad, won't bring anything to the table for them anymore. They are getting a lot of potential help for their future.

Archived