Pennington And Coles For A 1st And 4th

Maxman

Count me with the nay sayers. There is no way on earth that KC would give up their number 1 pick for two over thirty players. Pennington won't fetch more than a 4th on his own, Coles maybe a 3rd. Why then would they give up a top ten pick for both? Come on guys, this was like throwing out some raw meat to a pack of wolves desperate for some good news during a horrible season, but no way does this happen.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Count me with the nay sayers. There is no way on earth that KC would give up their number 1 pick for two over thirty players. Pennington won't fetch more than a 4th on his own, Coles maybe a 3rd. Why then would they give up a top ten pick for both? Come on guys, this was like throwing out some raw meat to a pack of wolves desperate for some good news during a horrible season, but no way does this happen.

this is a proven to be reliable source doc...

I believe it's true. It is a simple matter of supply and demand. Plus the coach won quite a few games with these two players in the past.

To some of the guests from the other boards reading this thread come on over and log in and join the discussion first hand where it's breaking.....here-everybody's welcome

Great point. There are 14 guests in here.

Lets hear your opinions!!!

Great point. There are 14 guests in here.

Lets hear your opinions!!!

yea because there's thread at JI about this thread-why not just come on over and discuss it here-we don't bite and I don't think it's a ban-able offense to post here-I've been posting at both sites for years

Not doubting it but do you have a example?

Here's Max's original post GS; he lays it all out about Wadsworth and the source.....

JetNation.com has learned that the Jets have had conversations with the Kansas City Chiefs about a blockbuster trade. The Jets would send both Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles to Kansas City in exchange for the Chiefs 1st round pick. The Jets would also receive a 4th rounder and a possible 2nd day pick in the 2009 draft. The 2009 pick would be tied in some way to performance. We are told that a deal is essentially in place and it will be announced in the off-season.

The Jets would like to avoid a situation next year where both Chad and Coles are unhappy in camp. The staff likes what they see from Kellen Clemens this year and they are ready to proceed in that direction. The Chiefs are under the 2008 cap and since Chad and Laveranues both have manageable cap numbers, this deal is workable. Herman Edwards is under tremendous pressure in Kansas City to improve an offense that has been very unproductive under his watch.

As with any trade there is always a chance it won

I so badly want this to be true that I buying Sperm's logic wholesale ---> ie, the mkt for QBs is nasty and the money owed to Chad a LC is so reasonable for KC that its worth a shot for them. But gosh this would be wonderful for the Jets. A top defender and a top offensive player in the draft or one of the above and a trade down to stock the defense, replace Coles (its a good FA class of big, fast WRs) and shore up the O-line would be many strides in the right direction for my beloved Jetsies. Plus, i love the commitment to Clemens and the youth movement.

Count me in.

Here's Max's original post GS; he lays it all out about Wadsworth and the source.....

JetNation.com has learned that the Jets have had conversations with the Kansas City Chiefs about a blockbuster trade. The Jets would send both Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles to Kansas City in exchange for the Chiefs 1st round pick. The Jets would also receive a 4th rounder and a possible 2nd day pick in the 2009 draft. The 2009 pick would be tied in some way to performance. We are told that a deal is essentially in place and it will be announced in the off-season.

The Jets would like to avoid a situation next year where both Chad and Coles are unhappy in camp. The staff likes what they see from Kellen Clemens this year and they are ready to proceed in that direction. The Chiefs are under the 2008 cap and since Chad and Laveranues both have manageable cap numbers, this deal is workable. Herman Edwards is under tremendous pressure in Kansas City to improve an offense that has been very unproductive under his watch.

As with any trade there is always a chance it won’t happen. Both parties are committed to making this deal. No trade can be made right now, since the trading deadline has passed. The source that provided JetNation.com with this information has been very accurate in the past. This is the same source that broke the Andre Wadsworth signing before camp this year.

You can discuss this story and get an update on the salary cap impact here.

LOL...color me skeptical if Wadsworth is the sole coup by this source in the past.

I will remain optimistic however if Max felt it was good enough to run with.

As with any trade there is always a chance it won

The trade should excite anybody whose a Jet fan because we could nab 2 top 10 picks this draft. That would be unbelievable for us to lock and load for the future. We would need to bring in a vet QB to help KC progress and bring in a WR (hey, 2nd rder for CJ doesn't sound so terrible now).

I'm putting my faith in Max and the report and just crossing my fingers that its happening

Chad is a second teir QB with a litany of arm failings and physical limitations, who was benched for poor play this year.

Coles is an all-time great Jets WR on the downside of his career, who's taken WAY too many big and debilitating hits due to a certain QB's duck-balls.

If the Chiefs were to offer a 1st and az 5th for this pair this offseason, I just ALL FRIGGIN OVER IT. No need to hesitate for a second.

Look at the Jets today. If the Mangini supporters are to be believed, Coaching is not our issue. OK, say thats true. The issue then is that we, as a team, are "talentless". Ok, fine, say THATS true too then. What helps a team get talented faster, a backup QB who would be horridly disgruntled next year as the #2 and a beatenup WR? Or a 1nd round pick and 5th round pick for ourt brilliant front office (again, assuming the Mangini defenders arte correct) to restock us full of talented young players?

The Jets today, like it or not, are not one player, or one season away from true competitiveness. We are at least two years away (2009 at the earliest). We're rebuilding....again.

While I'd miss Coles and hate to see him retire elsewhere for sentimental reasons (even if Coles himself is far more loyal to Chad, Herm and the $$$ than the Jets), I care far more about the Jets than any player. A 1st and fifth is about as great a deal as we'd be able to get for these two, and I say we take it and don't look back.

I believe it's true. It is a simple matter of supply and demand. Plus the coach won quite a few games with these two players in the past.

Why? The Chiefs are in line for a top 10 pick. They can have Brohm, Ryan or the kid from Kentucky. Why take an over 30 QB with a recontructed shoulder?

If this was April, I would say this is Max playing a joke. This only makes sense to the Jets. Which usually means, it is a fabrication.

Ok this could be an interesting one..but what would the cost be of the two top ten picks in terms of cap space? Now this creates another hole on the Jets as Coles is the only #1 wr on the team and there are no guarantees with success on a pick regardless how good any front office thinks they are. As for Chad, from what I have read he wants to go somewhere where he can start, would that be KC? I thought the front office is pushing Croyle to be the guy? Or is the Chad a short term fix for a year, which is decent money to pay for a guy like that.

The trade should excite anybody whose a Jet fan because we could nab 2 top 10 picks this draft. That would be unbelievable for us to lock and load for the future. We would need to bring in a vet QB to help KC progress and bring in a WR (hey, 2nd rder for CJ doesn't sound so terrible now).

I'm putting my faith in Max and the report and just crossing my fingers that its happening

This trade by having 2 first round draft picks defineately sets us up to give away our 2nd round for someone special *cough 85*

How is he stupid? He needs another Wide Receiver to go with Dwayne Bowe and he needs a veteran Quarterback if he wants to win now and save his job. I would be in favor of this trade because we could address two huge needs in the Top 10 or 15 picks of the draft. Heck, we have 25+ million in cap space, we can afford it.

Question is, who would replace LC to along with Jerricho Cotchery? Better hope Chansi Stuckey emerges and the Jets can draft DeSean Jackson of Cal or go after a Free Agent like Bernard Berrian, DJ Hackett or Bryant Johnson. Jets would need to pick up 2 receivers in the off-season.

I'd be quite happy with Berrian in green. Kellen can throw a good deep ball, and this all berrian really does. Coupling that with Cotch who is good at moving the chains (despite his multiple drops recently, hopefully to do with his broken finger), we would have a very nice receiving corps going into next season.

I still say we get rid of Smith, and play Wright, or Stucky full time in the slot.

There is no way in hell you can settle for Berrian who is always hurt and drops a ton of passes..if you get rid of Coles you need a proven #1 wr...and if you are looking to the draft for that, the player will take a couple of years to develop. Now as for Ocho Cinco...the guy is made to play in NY

There is no way in hell you can settle for Berrian who is always hurt and drops a ton of passes..if you get rid of Coles you need a proven #1 wr...and if you are looking to the draft for that, the player will take a couple of years to develop. Now as for Ocho Cinco...the guy is made to play in NY

the jets have never landed the big name free agent. Clearly Johnson would be far better than berrian, but come on, its the jets.

the jets have never landed the big name free agent. Clearly Johnson would be far better than berrian, but come on, its the jets.

True, but you can use NY as a selling point.

You will have to spend though. Are the Jets going to pay top dollar?

I don't know about you guys, but I really like Coles wearing green and white.

You have to give to get. It would unJetlike for the Jets to move a guy a year too soon rather than too late (or not at all in the case of guys like Chrebet and Martin) but its the smarter move.

I don't know about you guys, but I really like Coles wearing green and white.

I do too - but if Chad not playing is cause for one molecule of negative anything on his part - get him outta here. Chads done here - thank God.

Even if this is just a pipe dream - we should still have the cash to land Ocho Cinco. It would be good for Mangini to force learn a little flex in his attitudes and with an Ocho around he'd have little choice.

Couple of questions:

So is the JN source saying the FO is 100% committed to Kellen as our #1 QB moving forward OR is it possible that we would look to use the possible early 1st rd picks to draft one should this rumor have any legs?

Can our current CAP situation afford two top 6 draft picks while ALSO allowing the FO to be major players in the FA market as many of the detractors here have called for?

All I got was that they were happy with what they see from Kellen. I would just be speculating if I tried to read anything long term into that.

As far as the cap -- if Sperm Edwards hasn't already answered that, he will soon. But it won't be a problem to sign them imo.

I do too - but if Chad not playing is cause for one molecule of negative anything on his part - get him outta here. Chads done here - thank God.

Even if this is just a pipe dream - we should still have the cash to land Ocho Cinco. It would be good for Mangini to force learn a little flex in his attitudes and with an Ocho around he'd have little choice.

Kellen is a young qb so the jury will be out for a while..hell Eli has been around how many years and still has not figured it out. As for Coles, as a team leader on offense could be a risky move without other strong leaders.

I don't like Johnson's celebrations, but at least he gets to the endzone. If coles does walk, we need a replacement and not a rookie.

Kellen is a young qb so the jury will be out for a while..hell Eli has been around how many years and still has not figured it out. As for Coles, as a team leader on offense could be a risky move without other strong leaders.

Time for some of the younger vets to step up as leaders in 2008. Cotchery, Mangold, Clemens.

Why? The Chiefs are in line for a top 10 pick. They can have Brohm, Ryan or the kid from Kentucky. Why take an over 30 QB with a recontructed shoulder?

If this was April, I would say this is Max playing a joke. This only makes sense to the Jets. Which usually means, it is a fabrication.

Yeah but Herm is trying to save his job, he'll get more wins next season with Chad and Coles than a rookie QB.

LOL...color me skeptical if Wadsworth is the sole coup by this source in the past.

I will remain optimistic however if Max felt it was good enough to run with.

Herm getting fired would kill the deal. Otherwise both teams want it to happen. Maybe they tweak the details a bit -- it is hard to get that stuff right. But the Jets aren't doing it without the 1st round pick in return, that is the important part.

Chad is a second teir QB with a litany of arm failings and physical limitations, who was benched for poor play this year.

Coles is an all-time great Jets WR on the downside of his career, who's taken WAY too many big and debilitating hits due to a certain QB's duck-balls.

If the Chiefs were to offer a 1st and az 5th for this pair this offseason, I just ALL FRIGGIN OVER IT. No need to hesitate for a second.

Look at the Jets today. If the Mangini supporters are to be believed, Coaching is not our issue. OK, say thats true. The issue then is that we, as a team, are "talentless". Ok, fine, say THATS true too then. What helps a team get talented faster, a backup QB who would be horridly disgruntled next year as the #2 and a beatenup WR? Or a 1nd round pick and 5th round pick for ourt brilliant front office (again, assuming the Mangini defenders arte correct) to restock us full of talented young players?

The Jets today, like it or not, are not one player, or one season away from true competitiveness. We are at least two years away (2009 at the earliest). We're rebuilding....again.

While I'd miss Coles and hate to see him retire elsewhere for sentimental reasons (even if Coles himself is far more loyal to Chad, Herm and the $$$ than the Jets), I care far more about the Jets than any player. A 1st and fifth is about as great a deal as we'd be able to get for these two, and I say we take it and don't look back.

Agreed. I would do it for a 1st and a 6th, possibly 7th. They are giving up two good players. But with 2 1st round picks in this years draft they can put a new stamp on this franchise.

Who knows maybe they can somehow parlay it into Sean Ellis, John Abraham, Anthony Becht and Chad Pennington.

:shutit:

Herm getting fired would kill the deal. Otherwise both teams want it to happen. Maybe they tweak the details a bit -- it is hard to get that stuff right. But the Jets aren't doing it without the 1st round pick in return, that is the important part.

Chad Pennington has been brought up in a Herm Edwards style offence. Conservative short passing. He needs a QB like Chad to run that style offence in KC. Huard did it pretty well last year when Green was hurt but he's not #1 material, Croyle too ahsn't panned out.

IMO Chad would be great with that team.

I don't like Johnson's celebrations, but at least he gets to the endzone. If coles does walk, we need a replacement and not a rookie.

With limited resources I'd prefer the Jets' add a FA guard (Hadnot?) and a lesser, but good, WR than Chad Johnson. If they were gonna spend big on a single player then I'd prefer Suggs as an impact defender.

Archived