Pennington And Coles For A 1st And 4th

Maxman

It doesnt matter what cap space you have now. What space will you have after resigning all your players that will become free agents at seasons end. Plus any contract extensions for players you want to keep happy and any free agents that you may want to add to your roster to improve your team.Yes. You have cap space to keep Pennington. But you will have to sacrifice improving your team. Chad will be a free agent on June 01. I certainly hope the Chiefs have no interest at that time.

Wrong again

Posted by Sperm Edwards

"

I would freaking LOVE this trade. And it has nothing to do with wanting to see Coles gone. The guy is one of my favorite Jets from the past 10 years. But business is business & the reality is that we would not burn a top-6 pick and a mid-round pick AND another day-2 pick in '09 to acquire Coles & Chad. No way, no how.

KC is in a little different position. The trade is probably equally good for them as well. They just took Bowe last year, have no one opposite him on the outside nor anyone reliable to deliver the ball to him (or Gonzo). Since they don't have to cough up signing bonuses for either Coles or Chad, it's an even bigger bonus for them.

If we somehow outright released Chad (supremely unlikely), he'd be the only decent FA QB prospect out there. This cuts out a bidding war for him AND they don't have to ante up a SB. They have him for 3 yrs $13M & no penalty for cutting him at any point.

Coles is a perfect complement to the speedier Bowe & already (clearly) has chemistry with Chad.

Looks like a good trade for both sides to me."

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wrong again

Posted by Sperm Edwards

"

I would freaking LOVE this trade. And it has nothing to do with wanting to see Coles gone. The guy is one of my favorite Jets from the past 10 years. But business is business & the reality is that we would not burn a top-6 pick and a mid-round pick AND another day-2 pick in '09 to acquire Coles & Chad. No way, no how.

KC is in a little different position. The trade is probably equally good for them as well. They just took Bowe last year, have no one opposite him on the outside nor anyone reliable to deliver the ball to him (or Gonzo). Since they don't have to cough up signing bonuses for either Coles or Chad, it's an even bigger bonus for them.

If we somehow outright released Chad (supremely unlikely), he'd be the only decent FA QB prospect out there. This cuts out a bidding war for him AND they don't have to ante up a SB. They have him for 3 yrs $13M & no penalty for cutting him at any point.

Coles is a perfect complement to the speedier Bowe & already (clearly) has chemistry with Chad.

Looks like a good trade for both sides to me."

don't let the facts get in the way of his opinion fg

A ballboy an and a towel jockey might have had a discusion.Chad will be a free agent when the Jets have to release him for cap relief. Coles has been injury prone thruout his career and hjs market value would be no higher than a second day pick.

Welcome to the site!

BTW, you're embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge of the Jets cap situation. just thought I'd add that little tidbit.

half the posts in this thread lack knowledge..god losing season sucks on message boards

Just try to remember how it is now so you can enjoy it more when we are winning. When we lose a lot of times people are overly critical and negative of everything. When we win people are overly optimistic and will overrate our own talent and ignore possible problems that develop in the future. Now it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things how we all act. It matters that Mangini doesn't fall into either of those traps (although when things go badly it usually means you don't have that talent so being negative won't hurt you) like he did this year. Even if we do well, seeing problems before they develop and addressing them is how you build a contender. The Niners, Cowboys and now the Pats all got rid of talent that isn't up to snuff and replaced them so they don't miss a step. The Yankees used to be like that too. We need to become like that, and hope the Pats go the way of all those other great dynasties while we're in our golden age.

half the posts in this thread lack knowledge..god losing season sucks on message boards

there still are a lot of really smart football fans (especially) here 4H-there are a few who clearly have agendas that cloud their opinions-and then there are those that don't even watch the games and feel compelled to comment on stuff they haven't even seen-or read-or know anything about-again, it's more the exception than the rule at JN

NEWSFLASH! The Jets don't have the cap room to keep Chad Pennington. If, the Chiefs want him they will wait till the Jets cut him. As for Coles, he is injury prone and not worth more than a second day pick. Maybe the Chiefs would give a 4th and a 5th for Coles and Vilma. That is a realistic goal. Herm may not be the shiniest tool in the box, but Carl Peterson would never contemplate such an absurd trade off. Wish I had some of what whoever wrote this garbage is smokin.

Jared Allen isn't the Chiefs' player to give or trade. He's essentially an unrestricted free agent after the Chiefs/Jets game.

The Jets are about $30M under the 2008 salary cap WITH Chad Pennington's $4.8M salary. But honestly, I find it difficult to acknowledge, with any amount of seriousness, your take on the Jets' cap situation when you don't even know who is under contract on your own team.

So you admit that the other half of the posts contain some level of knowledge? NICE. We were at 37% in 2006 and I promised that we would hit 50% in '07.

SWEET!

I'm a Chiefs fan, and this rumored "trade discussion" is the most absurd thing I've heard in a while. This is a pipe dream. For the Chiefs to give up their Top 10 pick (forget about the additional 4th rounder, 2009 4th rounder, Jared Allen, kitchen sink, or whatever else) for these two 30 year olds would be crazy. People fantasizing that Herm might make this trade to save his job don't know anything about the Chiefs. First, Herm doesn't make personnel decisions. For now, that power belongs to Carl Peterson. Second, the Chiefs aren't a QB and WR away from being contenders! We need 3 new offensive linemen. The trade could be for Brady and Moss, and we still wouldn't contend because we can't block! Pennington has a weak arm and couldn't even keep the Jets starting job, plus we're trying to break in our own young QB who has shown some promise in spite of playing behind our offensive line. Coles is pretty good, and turning 30, I'd maybe give our 4th rounder for him. Our 1st round pick for D'Brickashaw and Coles, ok that sounds reasonable.

Jared Allen isn't the Chiefs' player to give or trade. He's essentially an unrestricted free agent after the Chiefs/Jets game.

Sure, as of right now Jared Allen would be a free agent on March 1st. That won't happen because our GM has said, in the event we don't extend his contract, we will franchise him. Then he becomes our player to give or trade.

The Jets are about $30M under the 2008 salary cap WITH Chad Pennington's $4.8M salary. But honestly, I find it difficult to acknowledge, with any amount of seriousness, your take on the Jets' cap situation when you don't even know who is under contract on your own team.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the Jets' salary cap situation, but it would appear that Pennington has a cap number for the Jets of around $20M over the next 3 years. That's a lot of money for a backup QB. Can the Jets afford it? Probably. Do they really want to pay their backup QB that much though?

Anyway, I've got my tickets to Giants Stadium for Dec. 30. I'll be wearing red but rooting for the Jets to win so that we can get closer to a top 5 pick and hopefully draft Jake Long. Hopefully by then you'll have gotten over your wet dream of dumping Chad and Coles on the Chiefs for that pick...

I'm just seeing this for the 1st time now. My thoughts? Too good to be true. I can only pray that it indeed does turn out to be true!! IMO I'd be a GREAT deal for the Jets. Both Chad and Coles are over 30. If we could turn the 2 picks into the type of players that their draft position warrant then this deal could change the face of this franchise for years. I love it. ::GoJets:

Croyle is not the answer for KC and I think they know that. The Ravens and Bears are also in the market for a QB. The Vikings might want one too. The Niners need one, and I don't know what will happen with the Eagles but I guess they'll go with that Kolb guy. Still, there are only 2 experienced QBs on the market, and one is coming off of a terrible season and an injury and could very well be finished. The other could be finished too, but it's clear his team was outright awful and his coaches are idiots, so another team and coach probably think they can use him. What we need to do is just leak rumors that the Ravens and Bears have come calling for Chad and Coles and that will get the ball rolling, despite the claims that those two have no value. Remember the Bears basically traded us a 3rd rounder and TJ for our 2nd round pick last year (although then they went and traded our 2nd for a lot more iirc). Failing that, maybe the Redskins will want them, they usually want all our players.

Coles is the best player we have on this team when he`s healthy and you want to trade him , you are nuts Max

Guys -- this was not something that I suggested. This is something I was told the Jets discussed with the Chiefs. It wasn't an opinion piece.

Croyle is not the answer for KC and I think they know that. The Ravens and Bears are also in the market for a QB. The Vikings might want one too. The Niners need one, and I don't know what will happen with the Eagles but I guess they'll go with that Kolb guy. Still, there are only 2 experienced QBs on the market, and one is coming off of a terrible season and an injury and could very well be finished. The other could be finished too, but it's clear his team was outright awful and his coaches are idiots, so another team and coach probably think they can use him. What we need to do is just leak rumors that the Ravens and Bears have come calling for Chad and Coles and that will get the ball rolling, despite the claims that those two have no value. Remember the Bears basically traded us a 3rd rounder and TJ for our 2nd round pick last year (although then they went and traded our 2nd for a lot more iirc). Failing that, maybe the Redskins will want them, they usually want all our players.

How many starts has Croyle Had????

How many with LJ as his RB??

A bit premature ya think??????

Sperm it would not surprise me at all..was being humorous..but will see would like to see substantial talent upgrades with this cap space..no more band aids..would be willing to let Coles go in a smart trade as this team is not one year away by any means

Sperm it would not surprise me at all..was being humorous..but will see would like to see substantial talent upgrades with this cap space..no more band aids..would be willing to let Coles go in a smart trade as this team is not one year away by any means

They will spend money.

They have to. They have to at least giove the fan base some type of created frnzy with teh announcements of the PSLs.

You don't move into a new stadium with new revenues and sit abck and tick off your fan base.

Sports ownership 101.

They will spend. Hopefully smartly.

easy there Joisey, the only thing that could ruin Christmas is giving Adrien Clarke a big money extension lol

& your heart didn`t skip a beat or two when Rhodes met up with Bully Billy at mid field smileing and shaking his hand after the game ..... I know my heart did!

They will spend money.

They have to. They have to at least giove the fan base some type of created frnzy with teh announcements of the PSLs.

You don't move into a new stadium with new revenues and sit abck and tick off your fan base.

Sports ownership 101.

I hope you're right & if they do spend I have confidence they will spend wisely. I can only base it on the draft pics cause they went the cheap route in free agency. I think they're draft pics have shown they at least know where they're needs are.

They will spend money.

Sports ownership 101.

It is true. Plus all the players will give a discount so they can be part of the magical first season in the new stadium, lol.

Kind of a different story compared to the new Yankee Stadium.

They will spend money.

Sports ownership 101.

I think they have to also because of the CBA. They can't do the equivalent of what the Marlins do now & then & simply dump all their big salaries & be totally cheap. You have to have a minimum $ in salaries or % of the salary cap. I forget which of the two it is & the %age, but an owner can't decide he wants to be $60M under the cap even if he wants to.

Archived