Pennington And Coles For A 1st And 4th

Maxman

I think they have to also because of the CBA. They can't do the equivalent of what the Marlins do now & then & simply dump all their big salaries & be totally cheap. You have to have a minimum $ in salaries or % of the salary cap. I forget which of the two it is & the %age, but an owner can't decide he wants to be $60M under the cap even if he wants to.

I thought I recall reading here a while a go that it was a percentage, but I can't place the exact source, or thread.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought I recall reading here a while a go that it was a percentage, but I can't place the exact source, or thread.

Oh it's definitely a %age, but I can't remember if it's a %age of cap space available of the total salaries paid in that year being the % of the total cap space. I would expect the former now that I think about it (otherwise you're kosher for the year you give someone a big SB but then you're too low like 1 year later). Like you have to use up at least 70% of the total maximum cap for that year.

Oh it's definitely a %age, but I can't remember if it's a %age of cap space available of the total salaries paid in that year being the % of the total cap space. I would expect the former now that I think about it (otherwise you're kosher for the year you give someone a big SB but then you're too low like 1 year later). Like you have to use up at least 70% of the total maximum cap for that year.

There are ways to circumvent the floor, by pushing salaries to different years, etc. that would not normally be there.

The Jets are certainly not doing that though, as they are clearly using the extra space they had this year by pushing some future money to this year's cap. I will hope that they did some LTBEI also.

Now, the entire problem with this is that many other clubs are in better shape than they have been previously, flush with new money from the new CBA monies.

There will not be as many "names" hitting FA, and if teams want to really keep players, the majority of teams will have the ability to do so. Salaries for the new free agents will be driven at record pricing. 2004 dollars compared to 2008 dollars are going to be on a whole other level.

There are ways to circumvent the floor, by pushing salaries to different years, etc. that would not normally be there.

The Jets are certainly not doing that though, as they are clearly using the extra space they had this year by pushing some future money to this year's cap. I will hope that they did some LTBEI also.

Now, the entire problem with this is that many other clubs are in better shape than they have been previously, flush with new money from the new CBA monies.

There will not be as many "names" hitting FA, and if teams want to really keep players, the majority of teams will have the ability to do so. Salaries for the new free agents will be driven at record pricing. 2004 dollars compared to 2008 dollars are going to be on a whole other level.

yeah it already started last year. It seems everyone watches what the winners are doin & the pats raised some hell in the fa marketplace. my fear is that since it proved so successful, it's gonna be the new nfl craze & will drive prices to an outrageous level for the next few years.

this sucks cause the jets need a lot more help than 1 draft season can offer

Someone told me that this was talked about on a K.C. Sports Radio Station. Alk -- were you listening? Sucks because apparently they didn't credit the source.

JetNation = Always a bridesmaid.

That does suck. I wonder how KC fans reacted.

They ranged from moderately unhappy to extreme anger.

It would figure. Maybe that is why Mangini is playing him right now. To boost his value. Put together two Chad gameplans and we could win out and make Chad look great again.

It would figure. Maybe that is why Mangini is playing him right now. To boost his value. Put together two Chad gameplans and we could win out and make Chad look great again.

Chad's #s aren't bad. We just need to hope that anybody who would trade for him didn't watch the game!

Archived