What say you know Jeter-apologist?

PFSIKH

I have questioned his silent leadership over the years, especially when it came to A-Rod. Now, he comes to defend Rog-ah and Andy.

This speaks volumes of Jeter.

Jeter: Let's not judge Roger yet

BY KAT O'BRIEN | kat.obrien@newsday.com

10:22 PM EST, December 20, 2007

Article tools

E-mail Share

Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Post Comment Text size: Yankees captain Derek Jeter, speaking before an event for his Turn 2 Foundation Thursday night, urged people not to leap to conclusions about Roger Clemens. Jeter lent support to Clemens and Andy Pettitte, who were named in the Mitchell Report and alleged to have used performance-enhancing drugs.

Jeter said of Clemens, who has denied using steroids: "It seems right now a lot of people are rushing to judgment. You have to let it play out a little bit before you say he is guilty or not guilty."

Pettitte, on the other hand, has admitted using human growth hormone on two occasions while on the disabled list in 2002. Jeter gave him props for stepping forward. "I've talked to Andy and he knows how I feel about him," Jeter said. "It took a lot of courage for him to come out and admit it. He came out and was honest about it and it's time to move on."

As for the Yankees' offseason moves, Jeter said he is glad that Pettitte, Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Bobby Abreu will return.

The biggest change will be the departure of Joe Torre, who was replaced by Joe Girardi. Jeter always calls Torre "Mr. Torre" or "Mr. T" but said Girardi, a former teammate, will be "Joe." Jeter, who is close to Torre, said, "It's going to be weird. He was always a little Hollywood anyway, I told him. But it's going to be real.ly weird, for me especially."

Jeter was thrilled with the latest event for his ever-growing Turn 2 Foundation, saying: "It means a lot to me and my family. We've touched a lot of lives, a lot more than I thought we would when I started."

Joba Chamberlain made a holiday appearance, too, visiting kids at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Thursday. He also supported Clemens, a mentor of his. "He has nothing left to prove in this game," Chamberlain said. "He has nothing to prove to anybody."

He joked that he had no idea about offseason events because he conveniently "forgot how to read." Actually, he has talked to almost all his teammates and said he is glad A-Rod returned so "I don't have to strike out Alex and make him look bad."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pettitte, on the other hand, has admitted using human growth hormone on two occasions while on the disabled list in 2002. Jeter gave him props for stepping forward. "I've talked to Andy and he knows how I feel about him," Jeter said. "It took a lot of courage for him to come out and admit it. He came out and was honest about it and it's time to move on."

If Clemens is dirty, he should have gone Pettite's route and been honest about it, and everyone would be moving on now.

Bingo ;)

Can you believe how defiant Clemens is being with this whole thing?

A bunch of players named in the Mitchell report have made public statements admitting that they used HGH and/or roids, but ole Roger is innocent and has yet to make a public statement.

His lawyers and agents are doing all the talking.

Long time ago....what were you in 5th grade watching the first few innings in your PJ's?;)

Yankee run ended once Jeter was named "captain protect my public image".

Nah, it ended when the Yanks hired Sweeny Murti in 2001.

Edit...Like a few before him, Sweeny Murti has worked his way up the roster at WFAN…from intern in 1991, to being hired in 1993, to Yankees beat reporter today.

While an undergrad at Penn State, Murti interned at the FAN. After earning a degree in Communications, Sweeny was rehired by WFAN in 1993 where he worked as a producer. Then, after a one year stint at WIP in Philadelphia, Sweeny returned to WFAN as a 20-20 sports anchor in 1998. He became WFAN's Yankees beat reporter in 2001.

In addition to his duties at WFAN, Murti has worked for the Yes Network, WCBS-TV Channel 2 New York and WIP Sportsradio in Philadelphia. He also traveled to Atlanta in 1996 and Sydney in 2000 to cover the Summer Olympics for Westwood One Radio.

Can you believe how defiant Clemens is being with this whole thing?

A bunch of players named in the Mitchell report have made public statements admitting that they used HGH and/or roids, but ole Roger is innocent and has yet to make a public statement.

His lawyers and agents are doing all the talking.

Right, Roger is guilty because some other players are. Makes a whole lotta sense.

This circle jerk by you Yankee-haters is hilarious. You don't give a **** about the truth. You want Clemens to say he's guilty so you can say, "Told ya so!" He won't do it, so you're crying.

This isn't a Yankee thing. Why hasn't Clemens spoken? He has had his agents and lawyers do his talking.

Clemens has issued his statement and it could not be more clear. You just don't like it.

Are you talking about the bogus LA Times story from last year? I must have missed Clemens press conference this week proclaiming his innocence.

We were told that Roger's name was in the Grimsley indictment. That was proven to be false.

Did Roger do it? Probably. THEY ALL DID.

Back on topic. What does this have to do with Jeter? Jeter stood up for Andy who admitted what he did. That makes him bad? He told the witch hunt headed to Roger's house to slow down and wait. Yeah that Jeter he is the devil.

Oh and Nomar (who did Juice) is still better I guess.

Are you talking about the bogus LA Times story from last year? I must have missed Clemens press conference this week proclaiming his innocence.

Man I cannot wait for a Boston trainer to be caught. It is going to be so, so sweet hearing these names:

Curt Schilling

Pedro Martinez

David Ortiz

Cannot wait.

Fat Schill should keep his mouth shut. Of course, no Red Sox fan dare touch what I posted in a previous thread. Instead, they continue to circle jerk and spew on and on.

Conman's personal trainer called him out when he was looking at federal charges if he lied. Why would he lie?

Because he was the big name in the report. You don't think Mitchell and the feds pressured him into saying the right things?

Why would Rafael Palmeiro lie at a Congressional hearing? Why do countless people lie when they proclaim their innocence in court cases? I don't know and you don't know. Anything can happen when you're talking to investigators for 10 hours and they want to hear the right things come out of your mouth.

Because he was the big name in the report. You don't think Mitchell and the feds pressured him into saying the right things?

Why would Rafael Palmeiro lie at a Congressional hearing? Why do countless people lie when they proclaim their innocence in court cases? I don't know and you don't know. Anything can happen when you're talking to investigators for 10 hours and they want to hear the right things come out of your mouth.

Do you think they were on a witch hunt specifically for Clemens? Why would they be?

Mitchell and the feds pressured him into saying the right things

Telling lies would not be the right thing to say. If he said the "right" things to them, he would just be telling the truth.

Clemens used steriods. Deal with it.

I chuckle at Red Sux fans that have so much hatred towards Jeter that they post something like this. Jake Peavy also came out and had very outspoken support for Clemens. Are you going to bash him too ?

This isn't a Red Sox/Yankee thing. It's about baseball and the rampant use of steroids.

You expect jeter to throw his former teamate under the bus. Thats ridiculous. It doesn't matter whether you or I think he used roids. He has to prove it legaly if he wants to clear his name. Jealous players like Bloodytamponinsock have been looking for a reason to disparage Clemens and oither players they are jealous of. They were wishing for nothing more than a Jeter like name to be on there. WRONG.

You expect jeter to throw his former teamate under the bus. Thats ridiculous. It doesn't matter whether you or I think he used roids. He has to prove it legaly if he wants to clear his name. Jealous players like Bloodytamponinsock have been looking for a reason to disparage Clemens and oither players they are jealous of. They were wishing for nothing more than a Jeter like name to be on there. WRONG.

Schilling is jealous of Big Game Clemens?

Because of all of those rings he has?

Archived