Getting a new G-tar, input wanted.

Jetlag

So after a little over a year of serious learning/playing guitar my 8 year old POS $200 Squier is getting the old heave ho. In it's place some new hotness as a X-mas/B-day gift.

So here's my deal. A co-worker of mine is in a punk band which is sponsored by Gibson, so he gets all Gibson products 50% off. Therefore I'm most likely looking into a Les Paul. Now the the one which would end up being in my price range after the discount would be the "Les Paul Studio". The MSRP is about $1800-1900. Now I went to GC and fooled around with some Pauls and like the feel and what not.

My question is: Is there any reason I should be talked out of doing this? And is there any other Gibson I should look into. I looked into some SG's which I liked but they were a bit out of my price range (being that the MSRP is over $2000.) Is there a SG w/in my range that keeps that same sound?

Any other input would be cool. Also I would like to say I'm already pretty comfortable with the strat feel, how much of an adjustment is it switching brands?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitars/Vegas/Vegas%20Standard/

personally I never liked the Les Paul's I always thought they were too heavy-weight-wise ya know? If I had my choice I'd pick one of these Vegas styles

How are the Jackson guitars SoFla? Not in the same league as gibson?

I always thought that the Jacksons looked cool. :cool:

Jacksons? I've never played one ElGringo but I'll tell you guys-the Gibsons are real friggin expensive-I have an Epiphone acoustic/electric that I love the feel of...they are subsidiary of Gibson and half the price and damn good axes-I just have trouble spending over grand on any guitar-the Epi I have I paid 375 for and it has built-in electronics AND a tuner

If you get 50% off a Les Paul, you take it. You take it right now.

SoFla is right, though. It is a heavy guitar, and will take time to adjust to after playing the lighter Squier. But if you are getting serious about playing, you won't be disappointed, nor will you ever put the Les Paul down!

Good luck with your new axe!!!

:headbang:

You can't go wrong with a Les Paul at half off. Get it simply for the great deal. Down the line you might want to expand your arsenal with a Fender Strat or Tele, but you won't be disappointed with a Les Pul, especially at half price. Me personally, the holy grail of electric guitars is the Paul Reed Smith.

As for Jackson-No. Never. Ever.

Archived