Keith Foulke = Flash in the Pan

Green Jets & Ham

You know, my friend JBF has been trying for years to say Mariano is slipping ... every year it's the same thing, Mariano is done ... yet for 10 years this cat has been the leagues most consistantly dominant closer, and this year is no different ... once again Mariano is sitting there with an 0.83 ERA and heading to the All-Star Game

BUT!! ... If you're really looking for a flash in the pan ... If it's a ONE HIT WONDER you're really looking for ... look no further than that stiff Kieth Foulke

Now that's what a real FLASH IN THE PAN looks like ... unlike that 1st Ballot HOF'er JBF can't stop burying ... KEITH FOULKE is the definition of a ONE HIT WONDER

PS. Really enjoyed sitting back and watching him BLOW UP on the mound yet again tonite ... Guess that makes his ERA around 6 this year, huh?

But it really was nice to watch tonite ... thoroughly enjoyable ... that sucker can't BUY A SAVE this year, huh? =D>

TS, did you happen to watch Foulke tonite?

It was pretty much a microcosim of his entire season :Wave:

Came on with a one run lead {5-4} in the bottom of the 9th

Retired the first batter on a Ground-Ball Out

Next Guy ... TRIPLE :shock:

Next Guy ... DOUBLE and an RBI, 5-5 Game ](*,)

Next Guy ... Hit Batsman on an 0-2 Pitch :roll:

Next Guy ... Roped a Walk-off Basehit to left, 6-5 Rangers, Game/Set/Match =D>

:mrgreen:

for the record, Mariano's ERA is now 0.83 through 30+ innings

hasnt given up a run since May 6th

I stand corrected :wink:

PS. They should already have his plaque set aside for the HOF ... unlike some other FLASH IN THE PAN, this man has been the dominant closer of his Generation

I never understood why this guy was so successful the last few years. His fastball never even touches 90. He has a great change, but he doesn't throw it for strikes, most of the time its a ball but the hitters just kept swing through it. They've caught up to his gimmick, the jig is up, foulke is frickin DONE!

Watching Foulke pitching in a save situation is like watching a car wreck. You know something gruesome is about to happen, but you can't make yourself look away. He's got a ton of problems and it can't be just a tired arm or mechanics. It's in his head! Rumor has it that his marriage is falling apart. He is seen drinking heavily at local Boston establishments late into the night. He's obviosuly drinking away some sort of problem. However, although I may feel sorry for the guy and whatever troubles him - the Sox are in trouble. No closer. No post season.

You know, JetBoSox and JonEJet may be on to something about the whole jinx thing. Notice the slide AFTER that Dan Shaunnessy article proclaiming the Red Sox AL East Champs by 10 games over the Yanks? First of all, who in their right mind writes off the Yankees? Secondly, who in their right Red Sox mind would count their chickens WAY before they hatch? It is much too early for ridiculously BOLD predictions.

Schilling will be back - sooner than thought. Yet, Schilling IS NOT going to SAVE the Sox. The Sox savior will be someone that can actually pitch a save. It 'aint Foulke. I dare say, it won't be Foulke either.

I hope and pray that Timlin's 38 year old arm can. What recourse do the Sox have? In my opinion, Foulke is done this season. Stick a fork in him. He's cooked....and so could the Sox post season aspirations.

You know, my friend JBF has been trying for years to say Mariano is slipping ... every year it's the same thing, Mariano is done ... yet for 10 years this cat has been the leagues most consistantly dominant closer, and this year is no different ... once again Mariano is sitting there with an 0.83 ERA and heading to the All-Star Game

BUT!! ... If you're really looking for a flash in the pan ... If it's a ONE HIT WONDER you're really looking for ... look no further than that stiff Kieth Foulke

Now that's what a real FLASH IN THE PAN looks like ... unlike that 1st Ballot HOF'er JBF can't stop burying ... KEITH FOULKE is the definition of a ONE HIT WONDER

PS. Really enjoyed sitting back and watching him BLOW UP on the mound yet again tonite ... Guess that makes his ERA around 6 this year, huh?

But it really was nice to watch tonite ... thoroughly enjoyable ... that sucker can't BUY A SAVE this year, huh? =D>

=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Watching Foulke pitching in a save situation is like watching a car wreck. You know something gruesome is about to happen, but you can't make yourself look away. He's got a ton of problems and it can't be just a tired arm or mechanics. It's in his head! Rumor has it that his marriage is falling apart. He is seen drinking heavily at local Boston establishments late into the night. He's obviosuly drinking away some sort of problem. However, although I may feel sorry for the guy and whatever troubles him - the Sox are in trouble. No closer. No post season.

You know, JetBoSox and JonEJet may be on to something about the whole jinx thing. Notice the slide AFTER that Dan Shaunnessy article proclaiming the Red Sox AL East Champs by 10 games over the Yanks? First of all, who in their right mind writes off the Yankees? Secondly, who in their right Red Sox mind would count their chickens WAY before they hatch? It is much too early for ridiculously BOLD predictions.

Schilling will be back - sooner than thought. Yet, Schilling IS NOT going to SAVE the Sox. The Sox savior will be someone that can actually pitch a save. It 'aint Foulke. I dare say, it won't be Foulke either.

I hope and pray that Timlin's 38 year old arm can. What recourse do the Sox have? In my opinion, Foulke is done this season. Stick a fork in him. He's cooked....and so could the Sox post season aspirations.

i dont know if i buy into the jinx thing, because im sure while one person in one newspaper may say "the red sox are done", someone in some other paper may say "the red sox are going to win it all"

i guess one will be right, one will be wrong

its just pretty ironic jonejet usually ends up on the side thats wrong #-o

Great Post, Garb

Two things ....

1. I really am sorry to hear this rumor about his marriage falling apart and in turn his hitting the bottle ... baseball is baseball, but that's REAL LIFE stuff and I wish him the best in that regard ... we all know how sometimes relationships gone bad can screw up your mind and sap you of energy ... at least most of us have been there at least once in our lifetime ... so I really do wish him the best in that regard

2. Same thing crossed my mind when Shaugnnesy wrote his column ... not so much as a jinx, but moreso would it finally wake up a sleeping dog to be slapped in the face to that extent {i.e. 10 Games} ... and if this ever does get close again, I think you will see Shaugnessy take it out on the Red Sox as opposed to just admitting he was way to extreme {like a typical jounalist who kills the team for not backing up "HIS" bold predictions}

Just watch ... the Red Sox players never said they would win by 10 Games, but DS will blame "THEM" for not backing up "HIS" bluster

Not arguing with your post other then Foulke was not a one hit wonder. He was a decent closer for 5 years prior to this season. Nowhere near Mariano's level, but better then most.

Foulke for whatever reasons has just been awful this year - I would not be surprised when Schilling comes back they might move Wakefield into the bullpen

I think the talk is Arroyo making the move to the pen.

The beauty with Wake is he can probably do both without any lingering effects.

Foulke is anything but a flash in the pan. He has been dominant for years and last October on the biggest stage in the world with the brightest spotlight on him completely and utterly THRIVED.

This year, though, is completely different.

I have also heard about off field problems and breakup of his marriage. I hadn't heard about the drinking part. I have heard he has been a little snippy with fans and a bit of a dick. Someone I know went down to Spring Training this year and waited for a long time with her daughter to try and get an autograph. Foulke arrived, saw the group of fans and went right passed them. A couple of hours later he comes back blows right by them again and tells my friend and her daughter, "you know you should stay out of the sun", climbs on to his Harley and roars off. Did he have to sign anything? No. Could it be a bit of a pain in the ass to have this everyday? Sure. But you all know what he should have done: taken 5 mins to acknowledge the fans who waited a long time to see him. But this is just one of a few stories I've heard about Foulke being a bit of an a-hole this year. This upsets me as I've been a HUGE fan of his since he arrived. But now I'm starting to doubt him. I'm doubting his mental state. I think there could very well be some truth into this drinking problem. Maybe the drinking is causing the marriage breakup? Maybe not. All we can do is speculate. But I have seen Foulke interviewed after games and he is a trainwreck right now. And if you mix that with alcohol, LOOK OUT! I pray JBF is right and that all he needs is a little time to work through this, but I have my doubts. He has his stuff physically, but mentally I doubt him right now. The All-Star break is coming at the perfect time. Give this guy a bit of a breather and break. Hopefully the second half he comes back strong.

Unfortunately, The Yanks have not called for Rivera as much this year, which has everything to do with his dominant closing. He's a lot fresher, and has more days off. This could set up to be a great second half if Mo stays fresh. He won't be burned out come October. Of course, the Yanks have to get to October first. But if the Yanks reach the postseason, and Mo is still fresh, WATCH OUT.

Foulke went through this same type blow-up as a White Sox.

Epstein will not let any more of the lead slip away.

I see them grabbing a closer ASAP.

As rough as things have been for the Evil Empire, Boston would be wise to not allow them to hang around within a 1/2 dozen games of the division.

Unfortunately, The Yanks have not called for Rivera as much this year, which has everything to do with his dominant closing. He's a lot fresher, and has more days off. This could set up to be a great second half if Mo stays fresh. He won't be burned out come October. Of course, the Yanks have to get to October first. But if the Yanks reach the postseason, and Mo is still fresh, WATCH OUT.

If Gordon can hold the 8th inning lead. Not his strong point in the post season.

(sigh) Idiot.

I dont have the energy to dispute the Mariano thing at this point. Just explain to me how "Let me see Mariano close out a 1-run game against the Red Sox" equates to "Mariano sucks and he's done." Ya know what...F it...dont bother explaining anything. Who the hell cares???

Its not like you have any credibility anyway...flash in the pan? He has been one of the most consistent closers of the past decade. He has racked up 200 saves. Now I know this isnt the time to ballwash Foulkie because he's killing us...but you cant argue with his track record. Period! You can argue about whether he is hurt or whether he isnt pitching with confidence. And I have been predicting a DL stint in his near future. Others have been saying he is a mental case because of his personal life drama (impending divorce.) Either way, Boston isnt going to "go get a closer" as some of you seem to think for a variety of reasons.

1. They have $7.5 mil this year and next year invested in KF. While KF has always stood firm that "I am a bullpen guy, not a closer" he receives closer money and has been the closer for a year, regardless of Bill James' moneyball philosophy.

2. They arent going to mortgage the future for Eddie Guardado or Danys Baez by giving up Jon Papelbon, Kevin Youkilis, Hanley Ramirez, or really anyone else worth a damn in their farm system. Thats a Yankee move.

3. There hasnt been any real damage done...Baltimore lost yesterday as well and they are really our only competition in the AL East this year. So as to your comments that Theo "wont want the lead to diminish," Theo will let you know when the lead actually diminishes.

(sigh) Idiot.

I dont have the energy to dispute the Mariano thing at this point. Just explain to me how "Let me see Mariano close out a 1-run game against the Red Sox" equates to "Mariano sucks and he's done." Ya know what...F it...dont bother explaining anything. Who the hell cares???

Its not like you have any credibility anyway...flash in the pan? He has been one of the most consistent closers of the past decade. He has racked up 200 saves. Now I know this isnt the time to ballwash Foulkie because he's killing us...but you cant argue with his track record. Period! You can argue about whether he is hurt or whether he isnt pitching with confidence. And I have been predicting a DL stint in his near future. Others have been saying he is a mental case because of his personal life drama (impending divorce.) Either way, Boston isnt going to "go get a closer" as some of you seem to think for a variety of reasons.

1. They have $7.5 mil this year and next year invested in KF. While KF has always stood firm that "I am a bullpen guy, not a closer" he receives closer money and has been the closer for a year, regardless of Bill James' moneyball philosophy.

2. They arent going to mortgage the future for Eddie Guardado or Danys Baez by giving up Jon Papelbon, Kevin Youkilis, Hanley Ramirez, or really anyone else worth a damn in their farm system. Thats a Yankee move.

3. There hasnt been any real damage done...Baltimore lost yesterday as well and they are really our only competition in the AL East this year. So as to your comments that Theo "wont want the lead to diminish," Theo will let you know when the lead actually diminishes.

You know, my friend JBF

Classy post by Ham

(sigh) Idiot.

Response from the real idiot.

This is JBF in a nutshell, a real piece of sh*t

Classy post by Ham

Response from the real idiot.

This is JBF in a nutshell, a real piece of Sh#t

At least he doesn't crawl up into fetal position and disappear for weeks at a time when things aren't going well for his team, only to make a dramatic return following a Yankee victory, making posts embedded with profanity, personal attacks, and, on the whole, BULLsh*t.

If you want to talk about a lack of class, you simply need to look in the mirror.

I have heard he has been a little snippy with fans and a bit of a d!ck. Someone I know went down to Spring Training this year and waited for a long time with her daughter to try and get an autograph. Foulke arrived, saw the group of fans and went right passed them. A couple of hours later he comes back blows right by them again and tells my friend and her daughter, "you know you should stay out of the sun", climbs on to his Harley and roars off.

What a dew-bag

Ain't karma a b*tch? 8)

At a press conference - Foulke was asked about fans booing him. He said (paraphrasing) "I don't care. These pople who work at Burger King. Maybe I should go to Burger King and Boo them."

1) The dude can't handle criticism and personal plights

2) He's unraveling before our eyes

3) He just kissed a potential BK endorsement good-bye

4) He needs a stint on the DL ASAP - sober up and see a shrink.

He said he was joking - a spin off some commercial being played on ESPN? My bet? More like spin being weaved by the Sox FO. He was affable and cool last year. Funny and down to Earth. Good guy. This year? Nope. When he goes South - EVERYTHING goes South.

At a press conference - Foulke was asked about fans booing him. He said (paraphrasing) "I don't care. These pople who work at Burger King. Maybe I should go to Burger King and Boo them."

Which proves the old adage ... a WS ring will buy you a ton of leeway with the fans

If this JERK made those remarks without having won a WS, he would be run out of Boston on a rail

AND THAT IS A FACT!!

I've seen BETTER PLAYERS run out of Boston for MUCH LESS than that ... what a POMPOUS @$$

Making fun of people who are less fortunate ... and I felt bad for this Jerk?????

No wonder his wife is leaving him ... she's married to a complete Jackass

:lol::lol::lol: what can i say, foulke has a funny sense of humor

that was classic, i gotta give him props for that

Some things that stand out now that the conversation has taken a turn to "Lets crucify Keith because he dissed the fans" are:

1. All the players feel that way, even the AAA players that makes less $ than us.

2. KF's innane rant was eerily reminiscent of Larry Elia's anti-Cubs fan rant of the 80s. That was legendary! He said "85% of the world is out there working, the other 15% of the f'n losers come here to boo us and they can kiss my F'n ass. They should all have to get f'n jobs and find out what its liek to make an f'n livin'

(To the reporters listening intently) "Rip them MFers, rip them C-suckers the way you rip the players."

That was truly a rant only to be rivaled by the likes of Jim Mora and Bill Parcells.

Oh, and one more thing...Welcome back JonEJinx, now shut the F up and do what you do best: Jinx the Yankees and send 'em on another prolonged losing streak!!!

1. Mostly youngsters work at Burger King ... poor kids who are working their way through college or H.S. kids who are not grubbing off their parents

2. They are not out there selling crack or snatching purses ... they are working for a living like responsible young adults ... for that they are to be commended, not mocked by some drunken souse who's only gift is to throw a baseball {and even that is debatable at the moment?}

3. If you are an adult who happens to work at Burger King, then you are obviously amongst the less fortunate amongst us ... but again you are not selling drugs to kids or stealing ... not taking welfare and anyones handouts ... you are making an honest living and for that you should not be ridiculed by the likes of some drunken slob who can throw a baseball {which is open for debate?}

Bottom Line: If you're making fun of people who work at Burger King, that says a hell of a lot more about "YOUR CHARACTER" than it does about "THEIRS"

Their character is well in tact ... JUST FINE ... Keith Foulke, OTOH, is a complete Pompous Jackass

Archived